This thread is about the new version: the first release since my 2012 7day roguelike entry.
http://escapefromthevault.com/escapefromthevault.zip (updated 2021/12/10)
Overview here: http://escapefromthevault.com/
If you have played EUO then EftV will be easy. Except that is turn based, not real time.
Updates since April 2015
This offline version absorbs all the changes from the final online version (late 2015), plus all the QoL/interface stuff from EUO since then too. List of changes below (excluding euo's ui changes):
- ships with MOAGL in case you want 3d, or just use etfv.exe for the 2d version
- fixed pills not wholly id'ing when eaten
- continent now saves & restores per character
- ammo weighs less
- right click on adj tile searches (now just right click nearly everything)
- fireball cost down to 10 mana
- halved MR of spawned mobs so charm is more likely to work
- fixed scorpion cave not re-randomizing
- Sentry guns: no limit on amount of sentry guns you can summon
- " can be packed up & put back in Inv by talking to it (right click)
- " now also requires 1 energy cell to craft
- " now only has 10hp
- combined locks & traps into one skill "security"
- added chest spawners to scorp cave and subway
- made Bathplug bit stronger but also more likely to flee when hurt
(from the online version)
- aliens lose the +4 sight but gain leeching attacks
- put the regen rate of Mutants up to that of Trolls in EUO
- fixed hiding and meditation not being disabled
- fixed bathplug barrier switch not toggling
- tweaked charm, paralyze
- added /bind spot + bank vending machine to 'irradiated city' entrance
- added a new map between the vault and the cave where you can /bind and use a bank
- added Town Portal Device (that you can buy)
- added bank vending machine to the starting jail cell
THE F KEY autoswitches and shoots your ranged weapon!
The main change you need to know about if you played EftV before, or have come from EUO, is the way melee & ranged weapons work. Now you don't even equip a ranged weapon: it autoeqeuips when you shoot.
i) bind your favourite ranged weapon to a number key such as 1 or 2
ii) equip your favourite melee weapon
iii) press F to fire, even if melee equipped: it will auto switch to fire and switch back!
iv) melee attack with ctrl+dir as in EUO
v) casting ranged special such as aimed will auto switch too !
This means you don't have to bind a ranged to one key and a melee to another and manually switch all the time.
Summary of changes from 2012->2015:
* Televangelist (mage) spell list fully revised - NLP dropped as 2nd school
* All Maps made more intersting - new algorithms for vaults
* Mobs have abilities, to be harder and at least more interesting
QUICK CLASS/RACE RUNDOWN
Engineer->kind of nothing but is the only class that crafts
Mutant: self healing
Alien: IR vision
Robot: heals with spare parts