farming update - ie growing shrooms in your basement

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

farming update - ie growing shrooms in your basement

Post by eggmceye »

ok so last week, even before doing visible weapons, I did a good chunk of farming - ie growing plants in your house. I've expanded the engine a little tonite & added 15 'introductory' plants to grow. All I really need are some tiles for
- planted seed
- sprout
- young plant
- mature plant (one for each plant type!)
- mature plant that is ready to harvest or be have fruit/veg removed
feel free to find/donate/post some
small_509332.gif
introductory plants:
garlic
pepper
tomato
onion
potato
carrot
apple
ginseng
mushroom
lettuce
blood moss
tulip
rose
marigold
violet
shrooms.gif
each plant type can take varying amounts of time to go from each growth stage (eg seed->sprout, mature->harvest)
some plants must be grown underground, eg mushrooms in your basement
some plants are destroyed on harvesting - eg carrot, potato, lettuce
some plants aren't destroyed but die of old age - eg apple tree, tomato vine
some plants are purely decorative, eg rose, tulip
shrooms55ot.gif

I imagine most seeds will be purchasable, tho I think moss will be a drop exclusively to start with
use a seed on a dirt tile to plant it
on reg, plant growing will be for house owners only, but may be freely avail on pd/ng and definitely on beta
each plant needs to be watered once per day or does not progress. 3 days w.o water and it will die
most plants take about 4-8 days (ingame days) in before can be harvested
each plant should generally yield about 10 items per day - eg, a plant takes 7 days to harvest, it yields 50d3 fruit - ie 75 avg fruit per full growth cycle
you could probably have 100sq of mushroom in your basement - so thats abt 1000 mushrooms a day :smoke: these numbers are up for revision
I actually see farming as a prereq to dwarves, as dwarves need alcohol, and brewing, and brewing needs wheat, hops, barley, etc
I think farming of vanilla items will be something vaguley interesting or decorative to do rather than straight up useful
there is obviously tons and tons of room for expansion, rare seeds, plants that give cute and crazy bonuses, rare ingreds for cooking, etc etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Re: farming update - ie growing shrooms in your basement

Post by Mackey »

I am so ready for a distillery in my basement. Make it so
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Looks pretty good. I could see the same thing being used for a "sitting" hen to lay eggs; albeit hens generally only lay 1 egg a day. I'm going to have to see how much dirt tiles cost.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

Mackey wrote:I am so ready for a distillery in my basement. Make it so
You mean our basements
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

there pretty bad even for 2 minutes on paint, but here they are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

I want this.
~Mario
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

My attempt:
farming.png
farming32.png
From left to right:
1) empty tile
2) planted seed
3) sprout
4) young plant
5) mature plant (onion)
6) mature plant (carrot)
7) mature plant (grain)
8/9) mature plant before and after harvest (tomato)
10/11) apple tree
12) mushrooms
13) lettuce

My opinion: Grain looks shitty.
As far as i know pepper, sugar (sugar cane or sugar beet?), capsicum, potato, oil (nuts, olive etc.) are not covered by the tiles I did.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Old tiles to possibly work with. Mostly noting the tilled rows. I don't believe we have corn.. yet.
plants.PNG
Thinking of ground prep..
Need dirt tile of some sort.
Till soil
plant seeds
water
growing phase
Harvest...
till soil
plant, etc...

Trees:
dig hole
add seeds
fill dirt
water
grow
harvest
water
grow
harvest.. etc

potted plants:
need pot
soil
till/make hole?
soil
water
grow
admire/harvest
plant
water
grow
admire/harvest

Mort did some nice work there. Notes: could use onion growth for garlic, tomotoes for bell peppers (or mort could draw some up quick). Ah, don't forget the potatoes.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Keighn wrote:Mort did some nice work there. Notes: could use onion growth for garlic, tomotoes for bell peppers (or mort could draw some up quick). Ah, don't forget the potatoes.
:--;:

here ya go :mrgreen::
farming32.png
5) Onion (changed)
7) Sugar beet
8) Garlic
9) Potato
10) tile for harvested underground stuff
12) Tomato (changed)
13) Capsicum
14) Bell pepper
15) Rapeseed (for oil)

Edit: f*** i have forgotten the potatoes
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Ooh! Plants!

I really dig the potatos. The color of the foliage is spot on. All of them are pretty good. I know you can't do much botanical versimilitude with tiles that size, but maybe consider making the onion and garlic leaves more long and narrow?

You don't need both pepper and capsicum. They're the same thing (I think the only place capsicum shows up is in the manual and some of egg's earlier cooking notes).

Grain and oil crops are a nice idea. I guess cooking would need a crafting option for making flour and oil out of them (although flour is already needed in a 0 skill recipe). If those go in, how about making salt? Use a bucket on the ocean to get salt water and lay it out in an evaporating pan in your house. Make it kind of like a crop; it takes several days for the water to evaporate and turn to salt.

Ginseng should be really hard to grow (high skill req?), and it needs shade. Grow it in the basement too? Maybe have a couple different farm-land types; open ground for most crops, woodland for ginseng (and nightshade), swamp for mandrake and rice (brewing sake).

If there's going to be an ungrowable cooking ingredient (egg has flour, oil, salt and spices missing from the list at the moment), I'd vote for spices. New Sosaria seems pretty temperate; too cold to grow black pepper or many other spices. And spices seem to be the ingredient I'm finding the most in drops, so least important to grow.

Will blood moss have spores instead of seeds?
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Gulnar, you forgot to inform people what you do for a living. I thought it was botany though I'm probably wrong.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Gulnar wrote:but maybe consider making the onion and garlic leaves more long and narrow?
I will try to make them longer, but i cannot make them narrower since they are already only 1 pixel broad.
Gulnar wrote:You don't need both pepper and capsicum. They're the same thing (I think the only place capsicum shows up is in the manual and some of egg's earlier cooking notes).
Now that you mention it, I never saw the name capsicum in the game. I though capsicums are the smaller fruits that are hot while bell pepper has bigger sweeter fruits - same plant family true.

Thanks to mention this and for the postitive feedback.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

LM sick fucking work as usual

capsicum is the australian (maybe british) word for pepper or bell pepper. Since only abt halfdozen australians play euo I'm using american english name for the veg (even tho yes I use british english spelling for everything else)

I probably won't bother with tilling
I think spores is a nice detail to be bothered with, rather than seeds - for mushrooms, ferns and bloodmoss
Don't plan on allowing nightshade and mandrake to be growable
I plan on making wheat millable to make flour, and for brewing of course - and maybe canola for oil? I don't think it is such a good idea having cooking oil in medieval fantasy setting tbh
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Just worked on wheat/grain what ever:
wheat.png
I think the right version looks less like corn and better.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

farming32_new.png
1) Vacant space 2) Planted seed 3) Sprout 4) Young plant 5) Onion 6) Carrot 7) Sugar beet 8) Garlic 9) Potato 10) After harvest of former 5 plants 11) Wheat 12) Tomato 13) Chilli 14) Yellow bell pepper 15) After harvest of former 3 plants 16) Canola 17) Young tree 18) Olive tree 19/20) Apple tree 21) Mushrooms 22) Lettuce 23) Ginseng 24) Marigold 25) Tulip 26) Rose 27) Blood moss 28) Harvested plant 29) Violet 30/31) forgot to crop it :p

*headache* :knife:

Edit: added olive tree, young tree and made blood moss red.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

eggmceye wrote:maybe canola for oil? I don't think it is such a good idea having cooking oil in medieval fantasy setting tbh
Olive or sesame are probably the best medieval oil sources (but Southern European). Probably it was mostly animal based fats they used in Northern Europe (lard and butter). Olives might be good just to get another reharvestable crop (so far it's just apples, tomatos and peppers, right)? Canola sounds way too modern to my ears, but I understand the desire not to call it rapeseed.

I'm only aware of 3 recipes that use oil, so maybe it could just be scrapped altogether. Butter could substitute in the angel fish cakes and calamari rings. Replacement in crab salad could be another vegggie.
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

why a not a tossed salad dressed with lard
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

do you think you could make a sapling for the trees?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

ibrowniedefender wrote:do you think you could make a sapling for the trees?
Done - see my las post above.
I added an olive tree as well as I tinted the blood moss red. Is the anything I have forgotten or needs some tweaking because the plant looks totally odd ? I am on vacation from august 25th to september 8th so post your requests asap.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

ok so ... farming, he we go
I've had a beer and it's election nite so I want to keep this really brief and will write it up properly as it evolves.

- farming is for house holders only
- this is basically a beta on reg (and pd/ng/a if you can get in your house) - well, its open to many changes and expansions
- you can buy seeds and spores from the 'farming supplies' vendor in Chester Hill
- seeds can be planted in dirt only (create dirt by using a renovation wand on a tile)
- use a seed/spore to plant it
- use a bucket on well to create water, as with cooking, and use the water on the seed/plant to water it
- most plants grow outdoors (ie a map in which the sun shines) but mushrooms, blood moss and ginseng must be grown underground (ie a basement)
- plants need to be watered every day (euo day) in order to grow - plants will die of not being watered in about 14 RL days
- plants will die of old age - usually around 30 RL days but this varies
- plants generally have a number of stages - seed->sprout->youngplant->mature plant->harvestable plant etc but this depends on the species
- to harvest a plant, activate with a-dir
- to destroy a plant, use a hoe on it
- there is no olive press or mill yet so olives are for eating and wheat is for stockpiling