Post by Keighn »

Lordy!
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Re: race lore, history, etc

Post by eggmceye »

working on an updated blood creation myth

once upon a time some really stoned eldar druids on (to be apocalyptic) new sosaria summon a huge meteor that crashes into the bloody plains, which is filled with blood moss, irradiating the plant with the irradiated red mist. The God of Blood meanwhile, who can only manifest himself as blood moss (because he is sorta weak) suddenly gains a lot of power in the ensuing chaos of the apocalypse. He creates the blood lords, and they create (recruit) shadow warriors & mages. All remaining life on apoc new sos becomes crimson coloured, such as blood drakes. The eldar become the bloodkin.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'm trying to come up with the reason for the shadowmobs (excluding of course drow/shadowfolk)

Let's start with a god of shadow. I'm now trying to work out a creation point (not necessarily where the deity lives - the deity is divine of course). I am tossing up between Shadowrealm and the bottom of the underworld, specifically here:
uworld.PNG
I am leaning towards the underworld. shadowrealm (and its upper levels) are weird maps (can I delete all the trap doors already?) - and while there are shadow warriors there I can't be bothered deciphering the lore about it. the Time Lord talks about shadowlords cryptically. A shadowmage refers to Nosfentor (who does not exist in euo). I could ret-con that to refer to 'Dark Lord' which is the only named shadowlord in EUO. But I digress...

In ultima lore (which I am supposed to be getting away from) that sealed dungeon would be Doom (opened with the word veramocor) http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Doom However this is EUO, not ultima 5, so this I suppose could be a new dungeon that speaks to the lore of the shadow god. The big con here is that I'd have to make this rotten dungeon. Thinking about THAT makes me want to rework drachentrog.

The pros with drachentrog et al is that
i) it exists, and has a shadowrealm already

the cons:
i) it's overly complex and need reworking, but that would be less work than making a new dungeon
ii) I'd prob remove any ultima refs while I was at it, eg nosfentor ref, rename time lord
timelord.PNG
any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

just for fun I dug up an email with eraamion (the author of drachentrog) where I complain in 2005 abt too many trapdoors ... the reply:
The trapdoors were not supposed to be an annoyance; their main purpose was to
lead the players to explore new areas while making them always wonder if
there is something more, hidden.

Anyways, I have removed about 85% of them from Drachentrog/Abyss and about
65% in Shadowrealm, which is supposed just to interconnect the other levels.
More would break the maps, and I still think some tweaks will be necessary
in the future. I have made sure that the "peak" areas (Sead'raed, Time Lord,
and Tyball) are all accessible, though I cannot predict how difficult this
is going to be.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

it's sorta cool how there's way more actual lore in the creation of euo and all the ppl that play & contribute to it than supposed ingame bullshit fantasy lore that I'm trying to string together
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Whoa I didn't know there were originally much MORE trapdoors in Drach/StygAbyss, crazy man.

I think you should go with the Underworld, leave Eraamion's map alone for posterity's sake.
Djanno :smoke:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, definitely the underworld as it needs love and is the deepest down. The Shadow mobs existed before Maeondir so you see that progression thing.
Undead/Hellspawn, Dragons (New Sosaria, Tanelorne)
Shadow (New Sosaria, Tanelorne)
Blood (Maeondir)
Later... Apocalypse

You'll have to get into the world breaking events like New Sosaria and Tanelorne combining and whichever was first. TBH, I had always hoped New Sosaria would have changed into a different name since Sosaria is ultima lore but I can't think of any alternate names. Of course I recall the old town An Najaf where I decided built the M.I.B. Guild hall near (roughly since those maps are weird and I was trying to figure out if indeed An Najaf was in that area or just shifted before becoming destroyed (I don't even know if it had a game map tbh).

At least time lords are in other genres and yeah, text could be altered to make the lore more cohesive.

Thinking back on the Ancient Sky God and golem construction and certain tech makes me wonder if the civilization was more advanced thousands of years ago being that golems are a type of tech/magic. And I think the Lunar shrine should be feminine with a priestess in its lore and the Sun be masculine with a priest (typical lore that'd be). Silver for moon, gold for Sun. I wonder if CAT would have fashioned the golems into Silver and Gold if she had access to the coding that's now available (those shrines only).
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

you are correct to note that bloodmobs arrived with maeondir. Rigorously sticking with lore/myth timelines following development/content timelines can chuck a spanner in the works if they (your dev and lore) don't line up logically (tho in fantasy nothing needs to be logical), which really straightjackets your lore development. however: writing lore around IRL development is really useful too, if you can manage it, so you can do either (ie follow the dev timeline, or just retcon it)

Right now I think of the 3 continents like this:
* new sosaria, maeondir & apoc new sosaria have always existed, tho maeondir and then apoc new sos were discovered (or whatever). they are all separate planes (sorta like planets? but also more like alternate versions of each other), and they all bleed into each other
* bloodmobs were (according to lore) created in apoc new sos, and they have bled (enjoy my pun) into maeondir. Or, blood queen, servant of the God of blood, is invading maeondir and has established a beachhead there (blood moor)

(side note re newsosaria & tanelorne: "Tanelorne discovered to the east and New Sosaria as we know it is charted for the first time" according to manual ...So, it's ok to think of it as being discovered rather than being a word breaking event of them merging. The world breaking is kinda cooler tho. It's also so far back in euo's real life timeline (first live year) that 99.9% of players don't even know that Tanelorne wasn't always there)

(also re an najaf: I had the map, I don't think it was ever live, and I don't think I can find it even now - might dig thru my 20 years of euo files for it later)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Djanno wrote:Whoa I didn't know there were originally much MORE trapdoors in Drach/StygAbyss, crazy man.

I think you should go with the Underworld, leave Eraamion's map alone for posterity's sake.
yeh, it's more work but I'm happy to leave era's map for posterity: I mean, other than the trapdoors it's not bad. Shadow coming from the underworld feels right, and I could do something with that sealed dungeon, even if it is just something tiny. the underworld map really could do with a makeover too.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I keep forgetting about some of Lord Morts maps with the weird vampire hunters, the crazy weird mobs in that Maeondor land dungeon with color cyclops and such that seems very alien cthulhu-esque. Thereis the ancient Orcasaurus and the giant maze of 2x2 mobs (perhaps evolved from ancient throwbacks like the Orcosaurus (so a prehistory like earh's dinosaurs).

And there is the lost jungle and the little overran gator town. Rusty did a good job and that map reminds me a little of Warriors of the eternal sun in the Azcan lands. A tropical theme being "the lost jungle" Which gives Maeondir a much more warm-humid idea for an environment. Hell, a gargantuan crab plays in the swamps to the sandy deserts. I always pictured another map past the ice ettin leading to a huge volcanoe (bc's quest for tires, isle of dread, etc)

Lava tunnels (which i had an awesome spawn recently where the dead end was a massive chamber so i had to backtrack to find the exit to black plateau. Blood mobs also seem to enjoy the fiery Blood Lands along with the fire beasts and some dragons.

Doppleganger is an anomaly but so is that magic mirror with a type of "fetch" in it (not cute is right).

I keep recalling those wanting a cold continent with notable VOT plateau, MMNS GUILD HALL, mountain Pass, and snowy isle being the only cold sites i can think of off-hand.

Orc desert was a nifty map and apparantly there some egyptian like lore there and perhaps some orc origin past there. I know there was another race you were working on that seemed egyptian like but i won't spoil it for those who haven't read your book.

Minotaur origins could be hard to place but they're most definitely Tanelorne residents being from Rivers End, Minotaur Halls, and Netherterra respectively (Shame too but any of those maps could be more of military conquests as they seem more disciplined and organized than most of the other humanoids.

I'm not sure who constructed the lighthouse and desert tower (lore wise)
ZUPS!!!!