eggmceye
hello

Ideas Thread 2017

Post by eggmceye »

place holder

All the previous years' ideas threads in one convenient subforum:
viewforum.php?f=19
Buy my book! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452011
Please follow my twitter ... I'm actually using it now! http://twitter.com/euotopia
And facebook I suppose http://facebook.com/euotopia

newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Re: Ideas Thread 2017

Post by newmagna »

Did anyone ever suggest artifact sigils? Because I would like to see some artifact sigils, supposing there aren't any artifact sigils and I didn't just miss the artifact sigils entirely.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'm sure someone has. ATM we have 3 lesser artifact sigils bought by glass coins. I still say the whole artifact list needs to rebalanced. Some are pretty damn nice as is but these are artifacts. Simple points imho (call it OP or not that's what artifacts are supposed to be):

1. Enchantments Spell Scaling (enchants, abilities, artifacts): Currently only staves actually get extra spell damage from sigils and jewelry. All weapons should have that. A guy with an ivpy staff sounds like a joke but solid +9s sigils/jewelry and the damage goes up pretty good. If the + on the weapon meant something to that as well it'd make enchants are more desirable. I will say the same for monk abilities like aspects of hydra, drake, yeti.

2. Set items. Why the hell not. There are some pieces that are just a joke. Maybe set extra abilities would make you want to done that piece of gear that just seems trivial on its own.

3. Artifacts scale upwards by level. Naturally there should be limits but as is most artifacts have a simple stat and +7 AS/dmg bonus. Pretty bland. New artifacts won't change the bland ones that become nothing more than mythic material. Keep the current starting levels but as you level up the abilities slowly rise to maximum. Who wouldn't want to eventually wield a weapon that is both +9 AS and say +35 Stat.
From What I've seen top ends are:
+9 AS
+7 Def
+35 stats
+16 vig (though I thought I saw +20)
+10 MR
NV+6

I won't mention the Jewelled Diadem hidden in the dat (which anyone would love).

4. Retuning some of the abilities and introducing different ones. If kept as I pointed out in #3 you'd have a lot of items just mimicking each other eventually. There needs to be some real unique abilities. Getting an artifact should be something you don't just want to toss into the mythic flames. (ie.. mentioned before about say Frenzy items increasing rage more, vorpal blade should wound to do more critical hits, etc.)

Doesn't need to happen all at once and of course test them. That's why there's alpha.
newmagna

Post by newmagna »

How about start giving resistances to armor and defense penetration or +damage against certain enemies to weapons? Tha would also give more options when making artifacts.
newmagna

Post by newmagna »

ok how about new classless melee skill that enhance passive combat.
Heavy Strike, for higer damage.
Swift Strike, for faster attacks.
Accurate Swing, for higher critical and and hit chance.
Knockdown Hit, for stun chance.
The catch? Depending on the weapon you train with you raise those skill at different speeds, so light or 1h weapons will raise hs and kd faster than ss or as, and heavier, slower, 2h weapons will do the opposite. I could also with percentage, while being more effective with some weapons than with others.
newmagna

Post by newmagna »

And how about we start buffing some melee monsters in some of the existing maps? or make some of the permanently named ones(not the random ones) so we get a challenge with the lower mobs for a change, instead of rushing for the nearest you could find?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Permanent ones get sort of an orange tag above their name and are collectable ears.

Slowly I'm compiling my own data on mobs in the game for all areas. I'm using a human and xp on pd is x10 so its not hard to know the xp values for reg.

At one time mobs used to get xp for killing things like pets and players I believe. But maps respawn/set after 5-10 minutes so that isn't in play anymore. I do miss running into ancient ghosts of dead players and all their loot. It was classic to find gold on maps and you could find some loot. I don't know if item decay/respawn can become separate from mob respawn. I don't know if ghosts can become "semi-permanent." It is a pity ghosts don't drop all their loot up to the 128 or w/e stack limit. I mean there is sweet loot to be had so you gotta be fast on the perm servers.

Like pets... mobs can have levels but its up to the map maker to make the mobs tougher. I suppose egg could have in the Options a scaling feature like morrowind where mobs get harder as you level or a simple setting changer but that's what heroic and epic instances are for.

Anything unique has to be programmed in (aka blood bolt fel reapers or black lightning void balrons)
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Hard queest like achievements to earn the chance to buy collection items like Mistletoe :)
Riksta

Post by Riksta »

Keighn wrote:From What I've seen top ends are:
+9 AS
+7 Def
+35 stats
+16 vig (though I thought I saw +20)
+10 MR
NV+6
Str/int/dex go up to +36.

It seems you included artifact stats in that list too. I'd like to know which one gives NV +6.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

One that egg won't put in the game. Its on the lists in the dat but its not in-game as far as I know. It could be an artifact for future story development in the game. Now if we go by say Sentri shield for mr up to +10 then there's no reason an item couldn't give +10 to NV. Generally, I don't use NV. Seems less useful these days.
newmagna

Post by newmagna »

Ok here's a thing I've been thinking about for some time now: a way to allow multiclassing integrated with normal levelling system.
In this model you would gain "maximum skill points" for every point in INT that you invest, with diminishing returns, and those would be "spent" by the player learning skills with that character, so:
The first 25 points would give you 5 "SP" each, making it 125. the following 50 would give you 4 each, making it 200. From 76 to 150, you would get 3 for each, so more 225, and after that 2, untill 1 for 1.
So, if you want to multiclass you would just need to invest in INT.
I know that the way it is may look too rapis gains, making multiclassing too easy, maybe, but the other way would be to offer too little for each point, so classes that don't need that much INT in this system, making it seem like a waste. However, I do belive this could work with some fine tuning.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I was going to ask egg about having NG type characters on reg or pd servers. Basically same limits and progression on how fast they attain them but they also gain levels. Levels do nothing more than allow some extra hp.

I'm unsure if levels by them selves give anything other than stat allotment on reg or pd. The humility shrine used to allow leveling without any stat gain. I only managed about 20 levels on LittleBoPeep on reg. Now humility has a different function.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I wanted to merge NG & reg by allowing NG style chars on reg, but it's a bit too-hard-basket
SanJorge

Post by SanJorge »

My perfect NG chars do not want to go to Reg.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

The NG idea seems interesting. I think in general, EUO should have better synergy for multiclassing, and a NG style is definitely a way to do that. One problem I have with NG though is that gming locks and traps is a huge skill tax. It makes multiclass rogues hard to pull off.

After playing my dualclass rogue/mage on reg for a while, I thought it would be nice to have better synergy between nonstaff weapons and magic, for those who want to go that route. I've seen lots of new chars who wanted to make fighter mage builds, but they run in to difficulty when they try to make a build that isn't horrendously unoptimized. I have some ideas to mitigate these issues that I think are pretty reasonable and easy to implement.

The main suggestion I would like is to have the bonus damage from attack jewelry apply to spell damage when you aren't equipping a staff. After testing, I noticed that attack jewelry and sigils applied a
damage bonus to spells when a staff was equipped, but don't when another weapon is wielded. To me, this seems more like a minor bug that became a feature. Currently, casting a spell without a staff is the equivalent of wielding an untinted, +0 staff, taking a penalty to casting speed, and then taking off all attack jewelry and sigils. Since nonstaves already penalize casting enough with their slow cool down time and no bonuses from tints or enchantment, I think this would be a fair change, and even with this change, casting without a staff is still unoptimal. Having attack jewelry apply to an enchanted weapon (like an enchanted vog longsword) would also make those weapons more useful. For enchanted weapons, I also suggest that they use either the character's int or the weapon's base int, whichever is higher. This would allow enchanted weapons to deal more damage with higher int investment, which is a nice perk for those who invest in magic/melee dualclasses. Currently, the spell damage for VOG and other spells falls in the single digits or teens.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

After my previous post I came up with some ideas for future classes.

Currently, there are 3 classes that mix melee and magic: monk, priest, and necro. The issue with monk and priest are that int doesn't contribute to damage at all, and the issue with necro is that the melee aspect is completely overshadowed by powerful spells like HOB. I thought I could create some classes that address some of those shortcomings. Originally I was just going to make a Battlemage class, but then I realized I could adapt battlemage chassis to fit bards or druids.

BATTLEMAGE CLASS:

Playstyle: I view battlemages to be kind of like berserkers. The battle mage has a couple of multitarget spells that are designed to incentivize drawing multiple mobs at once. Against multiple mobs, these spells are a decent part of the battlemage's dps, while against only a few mobs, the spell damage drops to meh. For individual enemies, battlemages have spells that are designed to be support for their powerful melee attacks.

Abilities:

WEAPONS AND WEAPON SPECIAL ABILITIES: The weapon special abilities could be based on fighter special abilities. Since polearms are kind of staff-like with a metal blade attached to the end, maybe have the battlemages use polearms that they enchant(like bless hammer or curse weapon). Bloodbolt is already kindof 'magicky' feeling. There isn't a 50 rage ability, but the Battlemage will instead be casting buff/debuff spells. Since spells take the place of a 50 rage ability, rage will build up faster and let the Battlemage use bloodbolt more often.

Alternately, we can give Battlemages a subset of all fighter weapon types and give them their own special abilities. I like the idea of spellblades, so maybe we can let them use swords. Ever since the necro class came out, I have always been super jealous of the acid cone spell, even more so than HOB. The main reason was because of that 25% mr reduction. The only other ways to reduce MR are cleave and MR cleave, and those both take 100 rage. Cleave's 25% mr reduction doesn't last long enough to get many good spells in, and I personally find MR cleave awful. Especially for a battlemage, who has better, more destructive things to do with 100 rage. If we go this route, maybe there can be a 50 rage ability that reduces mr? I'm not sure what to do for the 100% rage ability.

'BATTLEMAGE STANCES': These are like the aspect spells in that they give a chance of a magic ability triggering with every hit. However, the stances will be more offensively minded, and some should be able to hit multiple targets. The battlemage's int applies to this damage. This is essentially a way to let int contribute to melee damage and also bypass the terrible spell cooldown time,
which hogs the cooldown bar and prevents you from using any of your rage abilities.
The following probably need better names.

FORCE ASPECT: Adds force damage to strikes, just like grav por or an mani.

ARCTIC ASPECT: Ice attack. I don't want to encroach too much into a monk's territory, so maybe this won't exist, or it has a lower chance of working in exchange for higher damage.

IMMOLATION: A flurry of fireballs against adjacent targets. An individual target can't be hit more than once per casting of the spell.

STORMBOLTS: Since Battlemages need cool AOE spells. Stormbolts shoots several lightning bolts and random targets withing range. You are the epicenter of all these attacks. An individual target can't be hit more than once per casting of the spell.

MANA ASPECT: ijo like ability? This would be the mage killer aspect. This might be too strong though, so maybe it's a bad idea.

METEOR STORM: Ranged multitarget attack. Meteors fall from the sky, hitting random creatures within range (once again, the same target can't be hit more than once). The damage can't be resisted, just like earthquake. This is a better spell than stormbolts, so it has to look better cosmetically. There should be some sort of particles that scatter around the target of a meteor, or the meteor sprite should be 3x3 (A meteor surrounded by rubble or lines radiating out) to make it more visible.

SPELLS: In addition to battlemage stances, a handful of buff/debuff and multitarget spells could be added that are casted normally (not through the weapon like an aspect) as long as a battlemage's special weapon is equipped. These debuffs shouldn't be overly based on int, because this is more of a melee class. I'm not fully sure what the debuffs should be. I don't think they should be better than a mage's debuffs, and should be more combat oriented. Here are some super vague ideas I thought of that are pretty conservative (hopefully I can think of better names):

ARCANE WEAPON: Needs a better name. Basically is for a battle mage what bless weapon is for a priest.

DEATH SEEKER MISSILE: Clone of grav por, but it also seeks the mob in range with the lowest hp (if this part is possible to code). A great ranged spell for those pesky fleeing mobs.

SLEEP STRIKE: Sleep synergizes well with melee attacks, especially slow attacks with large damage. This is a directional spell that puts a single adjacent mob to sleep. The chance and duration are the same as sleepwind. I'm being conservative here by having this ability be weaker than both sleeping fist(100% chance of working), and sleep wind(wind effect). Alternately, make it a 'flurry' that randomly
targets up to 3 mobs. A mob can't be targeted more than once per casting.

STUN: paralyse effect. It shouldn't be more powerful than normal paralyze in my opinion, so maybe I'll reconsider. Maybe I'll call it 'SHOCK' instead, and it's a lightning attack with a potential slow effect. I don't want to invade the monk's niche to much, so maybe give mobs temporary immunity to slow so it can't be spammed? This should essentially be a more defensive spell that would take the place of gouge or shield bash.

MASS STUN: A high level spell. This might be op though, as it would be an AEP wind. The reason I thought of this was because I want to incentivize fighting multiple mobs at once. However, with a lack of tactics and a substantial int investment, battlemages aren't nearly as tanky as fighters, even with their large amounts of str. This would hopefully up a battlemage's survivability, allowing them to take on more mobs at once.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

DRUID CLASS (Based off of the Battlemage class described above):

Overall playstyle. The druid is a primary caster. The druid uses nature based AOE spells that effect more creatures than a mage can, but deal less damage per target. For individual targets, the druid uses animal aspects to shred mobs to pieces at close range. Since AOE damage spells draw aggro, the druid also has a couple AOE debuffs that don't draw (Think like greater power word pain). Finally, the druid can summon a treant and rejuvenate allies. Adding a couple single target spells won't hurt.

ANIMAL STANCE
-To be honest, I'm not sure what the animal stances should be. I think it would be fun if they provided cosmetic changes like werewolf form or polymorph, and the claws should
be a decent damage upgrade. I think druids should be able to cast as if they had a staff when in an animal stance. However, I'm not sure how staves play into this. Do druids just
straight up not need staves? An alternate ability would be something like the d&d shillelagh spell, which would let the druid deal decent damage with staves.

SPELLS:

Silver claw: attacks are treated as silver vs undead. (maybe this should be an animal stance?)

Rejuvenate: This is a directional spell that you can either cast on self or on a nearby ally. The target of the spell instantly starts regenerating health as if they stayed outside of combat long enough to trigger passive regen. This spell wouldn't have much of an effect on half trolls, but I'm not too worried about that being a problem. Maybe add another effect to this spell if that is an issue.

Summon nature's ally(needs rename): basically a druid's version of the kal xen spell used by mages.

some of the mobs summoned, in lose order from strong to weak:
giant rats
basilisks
fire lizards
crocodiles
alligators
werewolves (if druid mobs exist, they probably shouldn't summon werewolves)
crackling mice? (this might be annoying because of the luring effect of vog)
hydras?
nightmares? (horses are part of nature, right?)
//firey foxes*
corpsers (if the corpser ability works on mobs)
mothras (though mothras are weaker than hydras, the izh ability is too good to pass up, so I think mothras should be the highest level summon)

*As adorable as firey foxes are, the teleport ability will probably lure way to many monsters, so I'm thinking no to firey foxes.

Call lightning: After casting, every so often a thunderbolt will fall from the sky and hit a random mob in range, until 3 bolts are expended.

Greater Rejuvenate: All allies within range (self included) regen health as if they were out of combat long enough for passive regen.

Plague: Clone of grav por, but inflicts disease. With 25% less mr, the druid won't have to necessarily go pure int. Alternately, make disease a passive animal aspect?

Summon treant: summons tree ent scaled to level

Clashing rocks (needs better name): It makes sense that druid get a better version of earthquake than mages. I'm thinking a 9x9 or 7x7 spell that can also hit flying enemies due to rubble. Maybe flying enemies still take half damage.

venom strike (needs better name): A cone of acid that also poisons; deals ifh damage.

thunderstorm/firestorm: Maybe make these AOE DOT spells? Though unlike necro, you can't have more than one active at a time.

Entangle: AOE slow. Can be resisted by mobs with enough mr.

Phoenix form (this probably shouldn't be implemented, but I thought it was too interesting not to write down): This spell works like command death, but with infinite duration (ends when you die). Upon death, you are immediately resurrected at full health and transformed into a phoenix. For the next 10 seconds you are completely immune to all damage, after which you die and drop a pile of ash instead of a corpse. Every spell you cast is automatically replaced with flame wind, with a fast cast speed. Talon attacks have a chance of hitting a target with fireball, in the same fashion as aspect of the drake and vermillion weapons; however, damage is scaled to int. This spell must be cast on a pile containing 10 glowing embers, 1 egg, and 1 brilliant red shard, all of which are consumed upon casting.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

BARD CLASS (Based off of the Battlemage class described earlier):

Playstyle: The bard fights with foils, staying alive with a combination of agility and wit. A bard's song enhances his/her fencing capability, and provides nice bonuses for allies too. Bards fight alongside their trusty musical instrument and use musical buildup to unleash a finisher move against their enemies. The bard also gets a decent amount of debuff and party buff spells, in addition to its own version of invis and a few utility spells.

Changes from battlemage: Give them foils, make them rely on a 25%/75% str/dex ratio or even 10%/90%, and add a sneaky ivis clone (think astral travel) alongside some party buffs and enemy debuffs. Bards don't get aspects. Instead, Bards use spells, aka songs, to provide benefits to allies and self. In addition to these mass buff songs, other songs fill the role of more conventional spells, for things like utility or debuffing.

Weapon abilities: I thought it would be cool to have the bard use foils, for parry and riposte. This might be a hassle to code, but I also thought it would be funny if the parry/riposte chance was based on int rather than dex. Think of it like the bard using his wit to avoid attacks, and burning creatures with clever retorts and insults. Of course, I don't want to encroach on the rogue's territory too much, so maybe bards shouldn't get parry and riposte.

Instrument: After lots of thought, I decided not to have actual musical instruments as items. Instead, I came up with this next idea, because I thought it was cool (crazy?):

Summon Spiritual Instrument: This spell summons the bard's spirit instrument. The spirit instrument is a representation of a bard's musicmanship and lifeforce. Think of it like a spirit animal, except it takes the form of a floating lute/mandolin. Kills from the bard's instrument give 100% xp, like a pet (90% if that's too extreme). The instrument is statwise like a crossbow golem scaled to the bard's level (like the priest's summon sword golem spell), except instead of arrows it shoots music notes (this is only a cosmetic change). At 50 rage, it releases a focused blast of musical energy that causes a target's ears to bleed (this is aimed shot with a cosmetic change). Unlike other summons, the instrument despawns if you go invis.

DROP THE BASS: As the bard's spirit lute is in combat, it slowly builds up musical energy, just like Jira's Atomic blast ability from TOLS. When it's fully charged up, the lute releases the energy in a large musical blast. The blast damage is scaled to how awesome you are as a bard (aka scaled to character level * musicmanship skill%). The awesomeness of the display causes nearby creatures to go blind, and also causes their ears to bleed. Alternately, the lute builds up energy as the bard is in combat. This forces the bard to fight alongside his/her instrument, and not hide like a coward. Give the lute a leash range as well so it always stays nearby. Another solution is to give the spirit lute less heath so the bard is forced to defend it until the ability triggers.

Spells: I currently don't have specific spells in mind.
EDIT: Spell ideas- though they might be too complicated
Cosmetically, I think bard spells would be cool if musical notes surrounded the bard after a spell is cast.

Vanish: unlike normal invisiblity, casting vanish has a 0.5 second delay. This means casting vanish will break invis. The notes for this spell are shades of dark blue

Inspire courage (rename?) provides bonus to attack, bonus scales to int but is capped by level. At level 500, and with enough int, a casting of this spell is equivalent to quaffing 3(1 if 3 is too many) purple potions(this ability does not stack with purple potions). Is this a good idea or is the level and int requirement overcomplicated? As long as an ally is withing range of the bard, he/she will continue to receive the bonuses. If a bard goes invis, the bonuses cease. The notes for this spell are shades of red. Unlike aspects, this line of spells should probably have a duration, since it doesn't make sense for a bard to play one song forever.
Hmm... now that I think about it, I'm not sure Inspire courage translates well to an EUO setting.

Lullaby: 3x3 DOT sleep effect that lasts a few seconds. Mobs get temporary immunity to the spell after being put to sleep by it. The notes for this spell are shades of dark purple

Sound Burst: A weak 3x3 targeted range attack. The targeted mob at the middle of the attack takes full damage, mobs on the edges take less.

Inspire vigour(?): Increases movement speed (like a brown potion) and provides slow mana regen. Very redundant compared to inspire courage though.

Fear: Chance of nearby mobs fleeing in terror, like with boiled eggs. Fear chance should be decent even with low int, but int increases both the duration and chance. It should be capped though, or with diminishing returns- I don't want to incentivize pure int bards. The notes for this spell are close to black, or dark gray that's slightly blue.

Fascinate: Mobs that haven't taken damage have a chance of not attacking (they will remain in your range and follow you since they are fascinated. Mechanics wise they basically are still in attack mode but are unable to actually attack or cast spells). The notes for this spell are a spectrum of random colors.

Suggestions? The class ideas are all pretty rough, since I just came up with them.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Hey zups. I thought I'd let you know there is a class idea thread just below: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4901

repot those there and peruse some of the others. I think there is a bard one also.
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

The ability to wield an orb/shield/rune in your main hand. Why is it possible to wear like everything from eggs to books in your mainhand where you can't wear those.... I still want to show off my superior dribbling skills with 2 orbs!