Let's Talk About Local Hosting

Moderator: EUO Moderators

jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Let's Talk About Local Hosting

Post by jumpstart »

I designed this thread to discuss the ideas of local hosting in EUO. If you are unaware of what local hosting is; local hosting is basically a single-player offline version of the game.

Now, I've heard Egg himself say that he is thinking about implementing this, and I for one think this is a great idea, not only for the fun of the player, but for the development of the game.

This post is a compilation of my thoughts and what I think should be features of local hosting.

Features
First of all, you should be able to choose how you should play. You could either play like a DM and have super crazy powers, or play regularly like you would on the online version of EUO.

The DM version would not only allow you to fuck around and do whatever you want, but will also allow people who write script to test out bosses and such, then send to Egg for a possible implementation to the online version.

As for the regular play, include all the features of the current play of online, like questing, grinding, etc.

Other things you could do is allow player to test out custom maps, weapons, mobs, NPCs or even write their own quests which could also possibly implemented to the actual game (If Egg chose to do so).

Maybe also allow the player to mod the game to their like (Without affect on the actual game).

If you guys feel like adding, please do so. I'm sure people out there have a more creative mind then I do.

I actually had a lot more ideas, but when it came to typing it out, they kinda vanished. :no:
~Mario
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Let's Talk About Local Hosting

Post by Ozimandias »

I figured the offline version would allow one to create their own entire "euo universe." You could create your own classes, storyline, lands/continent, and so forth. Then share it with friends or have some sort of close-knit co-op of 4 players on a network. If egg would like the outcome, he could then add certain features to the online euo at his will.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

ok sure. This is how I saw it:

-You get a windows server that allows max 4 players to connect
-You get a stripped down set of scripts. This means many things will not work, many items and spells for example would be removed. However many items and spells are still hardcoded so you can get those.
-You get stripped down monsters & items
-You get no maps, no quests

Ideally
- it would be easy to package a set of maps, items and quests into one file that you could share - kinda like NWN 'module' (is that the right name)

Here's the main gist: if you want to run around new sosaria as you know it offline, forget it. If you're prepared to make your own world, which has taken me and many helpers 7 years part time, then I can give you the skeleton to start with.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Ozimandias wrote:I figured the offline version would allow one to create their own entire "euo universe." You could create your own classes, storyline, lands/continent, and so forth. Then share it with friends or have some sort of close-knit co-op of 4 players on a network. If egg would like the outcome, he could then add certain features to the online euo at his will.
This is basically how it should work in a nutshell.

conceptually, the game, any game, is comprised of 2 parts:
- engine
- content

you would get the engine and whatever content is hardcoded still (which amounts to a dozen items and about 20 spells) plus a few softcoded items that I didn't mind giving up.
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Sounds good however, it seems you are catering more to the advanced users, rather than people who just want to download & play instantly. Which may be your goal of course, surely you don't want to make a substitute to the current state of EUO. Scripts sounds good, I love the idea of custom spells, and definitely leaves room for some implementations to the actual game.
~Mario
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

That's sort of what I was thinking it would be like. Start from scratch and make sosaria/your own version with just the bare bones included to give you that little boost. Ofcourse, you'd still have to code quite a bit, and the process would be closer to a coding program than say, rpg maker or something.

It's a shame I suck at coding anything :(
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

If you want to download and play instantly then http://euotopia.com/index.php :roll:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Ozimandias wrote:That's sort of what I was thinking it would be like. Start from scratch and make sosaria/your own version with just the bare bones included to give you that little boost. Ofcourse, you'd still have to code quite a bit, and the process would be closer to a coding program than say, rpg maker or something.

It's a shame I suck at coding anything :(
yeh ...
pros: lua aint that hard
cons: euoserver is so badly documented that the whole idea is a bit of a dog's breakfast
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Well if he decides to release the engine, and you're so eager to build your own world and feel like a DM, suck it up and learn lua.

I'd love to see the engine released. It'd be a great way to get into scripting, for those eager to learn.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

eggmceye wrote:ok sure. This is how I saw it:

-You get a windows server that allows max 4 players to connect
-You get a stripped down set of scripts. This means many things will not work, many items and spells for example would be removed. However many items and spells are still hardcoded so you can get those.
-You get stripped down monsters & items
-You get no maps, no quests

Ideally
- it would be easy to package a set of maps, items and quests into one file that you could share - kinda like NWN 'module' (is that the right name)

Here's the main gist: if you want to run around new sosaria as you know it offline, forget it. If you're prepared to make your own world, which has taken me and many helpers 7 years part time, then I can give you the skeleton to start with.
I've been asking you for years on what's a good way for me to help out/learn more about this. Gimme gimme gimme.

I have a server sitting right here, let's roll. xD I love this idea, and that I get a chance to work on and feel and play around with an actual game.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Google Aleph One. It's an fps engine that uses lua.

Also, I'm pretty sure the unreal tournament engine is open source. All of the open source RPG engines though suck IMO. That's why I'd actually love to see egg release the engine.

EDIT: Maybe with a few sample scripts? To give people something to take apart so they can figure out how it works.
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

ChrisCooper wrote:EDIT: Maybe with a few sample scripts? To give people something to take apart so they can figure out how it works.
That's the first/best/only idea I've seen you come out with that I actually like. :o Thank you for that. :heart:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It'd be interesting to see what others could do but my loyalties to 2D tile-based games will stay here I'm afraid.
ZUPS!!!!
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Oh, come on keighn. You write an entire metric-fuckton of ideas that could be put into an awesome euo offline/network host game. I'd help out if you got into coding (not much help i'd be though :P )

I'd like to see a handful of the community work as a whole to make such a game - once the local version comes out. Then, after learning the script, it'd be easier to help out with either the offline or the official one.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'd rather suck on a loaded 12 gauge shotgon and pull the trigger than learn coding/programming. I'd rather tap dance on land mines than learn coding/programming. I'd rather take a shower in a full attack of thermo nuclear missiles than learn coding/programming. I will not learn coding/programming my friend, not in outer space, not on a moonbase. I do no like coding/programming do you hear. I do not like it anywhere.
ZUPS!!!!
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

when the fuck did Dr. Seuss come into this shit?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I like ideas and giving ideas but I'll let the techies do all the techy shit. This sounds like a promising idea.
ZUPS!!!!
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

I say go for it. Eagerly awaiting open source euoengine.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

who said anything about open source
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Yeah I was talking about it this morning and realized nobody said anything about open source. Still should be fun and good scripting exercise.