Spells, Prayers, Incantations

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Spells, Prayers, Incantations

Post by Keighn »

Really wanted to start a new thread on this to make spells more interesting instead of just grind a holic same old with the same old. Couple questions I'd love an answer to:

How do I post a excel spreadsheet on here?
What is the exact damage formula for EACH spell in the game? (its very important)

I'm going to first write down some very basic information for myself about how much mana a spell cost with staff, without staff, with blessed mace, without blessed mace, same with failure.
I'm also going to list which spells have a duration shown and which don't; special effects if any.

What I plan on doing is combing the threads afterwards for every spell submitted and putting them in categories. Even if its just a pipedream, its at least a brainstorm.

I want to cover Mages, Priest, Druids, Monks, Bards, and Necromancers.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Spells, Prayers, Incantations

Post by Keighn »

Its been a while since my initial post and I still haven't bothered to figure out how to put up spreadsheets. Its probably just a screen shot or something. Anyway, I figure I'll start my series of posts based on how I interpret spells to work. I won't cover damage specifics but I will try to detail how the spells seem to work in this game. Actually, based on a lot of pen and paper roleplaying and wargaming that often uses grids, hexes, and even 3dimensional combat euo and like games make this a nice interface for me to relate to. For the mage I'll be using a red mage icon to represent the caster. I'll use skeletons to represent targets.

I want to start with adjacent.
adjacent adj. - 1. close to; lying near: adjacent orcs. 2. next to; adjoining: adjacent garden plots.
directions.PNG
An mani is a great example of adjacent spell casting. You basically cast this spell and target any mob in any of the 8 direction adjacent to you: North West (NW), North (N), North East (NE), East (E), South East (SE), South (S), South West (SW).

Here's some examples:
adjacent North.PNG
adjacent East.PNG
adjacent South West.PNG
So, as you can see any direction is adjacent spellcasting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Next, I'd like to cover adjacent arcs. This type of spellcasting isn't implemented in euo but I'd like to show the possible use if it was. Generally, adjacent arcs strike not one the direction you indicate but an adjacent tile to the right of that target. Here's some simple examples:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Adjacent shield for lack of a better term is very similar to an adjacent arc attack, however, targets on the left and right site of indicated direction are also affected. Shield seems a decent term since if the attack was entirely successful in killing the target it would act much like a block with a shield; albeit, with dead or injured mobs.
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Adjacent wall spell. As as attack spell it'd be pretty limited. Its certaintly more effective than an adjacent shield in most respects but would be better suited to a temperorary shield or trap like a wall of stone, energy field, or firewall. I'll say diagonal attacks seem tricky at beast as a horde of mobs could easly get through. The most effective casting is directly North, East, South, or West.
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Adjacent line spells. One that used to be implemented in game was OG or lightning. The spell was cast in any of the 8 direction much like a standard adjacent spell except the bolt shot through several squares. The bolt was so long it could even be used to lure mobs to you that were just out of range/reach of standard missile spells/weapons. Adjacent line spells have at least 2 squares they strike; one being the adjacent direction you choose and the next square just beyond it. In theory an adjacent line spell could strike all the way across the battlefield or beyond. For gaming purpose, I'd say adjacent line spells are 2-8 squares in a direct line.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

My final adjacent-type spells with actually borders what we call "radius" spells is pretty simple. Adjacent encircle (or circle) is more or less a radius spell with you as the epicenter of the effect. I don't call this a true radius spell though as it hits corners where a radius wouldn't. Its more of a box than anything. Perhaps it could be called a "Cube" spell.
adjacent encircle.PNG
Radius spells form more of a circle than the cube spell. Generally, the radius is from the epicenter of the caster in adjacent versions. In ranged versions the epicenter is from the target selected. A spell with a radius of 1 looks more like a "+" than anything else, but those with a larger radius will look much more like a circle the larger that radius is. The closest example of a radius 1 spell I could give you would be from the Shining force games and the aura I spell.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Next we'll cover ranged spells. Ranged spells strike foes or allies from a distance. A ranged spell usually only strikes 1 target but depending on the make up of the spell it could affect more. Your basic 1 target ranged spells of an offensive nature are XMP(vampyric bite), GP(magic missile), VF(fireball), XC(Death spell).

These spells strike that target and that target only.

Chained spells an effect that strikes more than one mob via a chain. The only ingame example in euo we have is Chain-Lightning (VOG). From the primary ranged target this lightning effect has the chance to bounce off and strike another. From there it can chain-bounce back to the orginal or strike another close enemy. A well placed vog can clear the desired area or lure the mobs you want. An incorrectly placed vog or bad bounce could end up luring something that may severly devastate or destroy you and the entire party.

I believe Chain lightning is set at a maximum of 4 bounces. There's certainly major requirement for a chained spell. It could only bounce once or maybe up to 7 times or more if it were powerful enough. Another example of a chained attack is blood bolt that closely mirrors vog but is a fighter special.

Later I'll go over cone spells and wedge casting.
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

reserved
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

reserved
Keighn
Stop posting already --;