instances

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Dudle
on lolpatrol

Re: instances

Post by Dudle »

RAMBLING WALL OF TEXT

After seeing instances I was wondering if the arena could be set up for some automatic pvp arena action - entrance being 1 addy coin because of all the work to set up something like that. I figure common MP map themes could also be tried; team death-match - with auto-balancing by experience amount and class - score system/sharing based on the monster system you have now where damage/monsters hp X 100= % you get of the monsters experience - use the points for some kind of useless stuff like 'special' potions and 'special' food, or low end customized gear, possibly some items/gear/whatever that uses the yellow bar energy stuff!; last man OR team standing - also auto balanced by xp - and somehow try for party balance for team-play; braiser boiler bash - kind of a resource war idea - maybe you have to light the braisers too- start off with 3 braisers that powers a boiler and in turn a generator that powers a machine which controls your teams respawn rate (players xp directly relates to their respawn time) and kill braisers in the other teams castle (or control wood that you need to burn?) while you have at least 1 working braiser to win, collect braiser outposts in the map too maybe? Hope someone gets inspired by my ramblings...

MAIN IDEA

Was originally thinking of portals on the world maps in corresponding areas that lead to instances aimed at low, medium medium-high and high players/parties respectively. These could also be made into instances and could open and close randomly on the world maps like the giant crab OR used in the arena and gain pvp points to buy stuff that used the yellow energy bar.
Last edited by Dudle on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

So Duditz is saying "no pay no play mr gray?" ---(I Duditz is a Dreamcatcher reference)
Dudle
on lolpatrol

Post by Dudle »

yup - also why not make the special items that you get from the arena usable only in the arena.
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Instance entrances should be at the very end of said maps just like blood moores.

The first instance is Heroic x3. Get to end of Heroic and you can try Epic x5. Get to the end of Epic and you hit the final one Legendary x10.

To open the instance there should be some sort of mini boss.

If you really wanted to add suspense the miniboss opens up an anomalie where you have to kill that boss to enter the instance.

Maps with only one real gauntleted path are great for this:
Minotaur halls which includes the Pits (already in and is pretty awesome) - instance entrance final room.
Mages Tower (again awesome) - instance entrance could be at the top of tower.
River's End (again in and pretty awesome - does it instance to the end?) istance entrance near the npc at the end.

Kazadumur (sp) would be great for lower levels - instance entrance could be in Mondain's chamber
Pendragon - instance could be in the bally chamber (which is pretty damn nasty on pd)
Goblin Crypts - vampire room for instance..
Ogre Town/Dougon's Tower - at the end for the instance.
Fort Grunthos - I'd say in the basement where its like little mini room.
Ruined Base/Frog Town - by the black.
Dead Forest - Probably in the baement of the castle.
Mountain Pass - Moooo cow valley.
Nimwizdux (sp) - Ol dopples sounds good.
Lost Jungle - (if the shortcuts were fixed I'd say the giant at the end)

Maps that might be too big... Valley of the Trolls & Tangled Forest (they're just huge)

Maps that Might be too small ... Gravyard/Goblin Crypts & Fort Grunthos.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Oh, maybe killer of instance boss gets a cool T-shirt (soulbound & only 1 allowd per alt)

"I went to Pit and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Pit Shirt
Heroic Pit Shirt
Epic Pit Shirt
Legendary Pit Shirt....etc.

Do they do anything... nostalgia, bragging rights.
hellslave
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by hellslave »

Keighn wrote:Instance entrances should be at the very end of said maps just like blood moores.

The first instance is Heroic x3. Get to end of Heroic and you can try Epic x5. Get to the end of Epic and you hit the final one Legendary x10.
Could you realistically grind a map as long as say the pit 3 times before getting to the legendary instance every time you wanted to do it? Completing the previous difficulty instance as a pre-requisite for entry would be pretty cool, but it shouldn't take 10 hours just to get to the start of the instance you're actually wanting every time you want to do it. I for one tend to get bored of a map for a little while after the second run of it so I'll bounce to another hunting area
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :jam:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah yes, I tend to forget the very short attention span of people these days. I often wonder how people would fare back in the late 70s and 80s when load times were very long and combats could take far longer, puzzles were near mandatory for some games, and cheats were not so easy to find.

if one can't get to it then I guess they're not an heroic, epic, or legendary player; they're just a piss poor wannabe following on the coat tails of others.
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

Keighn wrote:Ah yes, I tend to forget the very short attention span of people these days. I often wonder how people would fare back in the late 70s and 80s when load times were very long and combats could take far longer, puzzles were near mandatory for some games, and cheats were not so easy to find.

if one can't get to it then I guess they're not an heroic, epic, or legendary player; they're just a piss poor wannabe following on the coat tails of others.
Ah but back with those long load times and combat you could pause the game or at least find a safe spot, go for food, come back and unpause, not have the game shutdown because of inactivity making you start from the beginning again :roll:
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

Keighn wrote:Ah yes, I tend to forget the very short attention span of people these days. I often wonder how people would fare back in the late 70s and 80s when load times were very long and combats could take far longer, puzzles were near mandatory for some games, and cheats were not so easy to find.

Fuck that, 1. Not everyone has the time to just sit here and grind 3 maps to get to the ONE they want.. It has nothing to do with attention span, but grinding the same map over and over, yeah good luck buddy. You do that to BM, all in the same day... That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard... Especially if you're solo'n...
Egg chopped off his arm to get rid of a rash, but its okay.. it'll grow back! He's a crab. Trist is my Fav TrollFace!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

So even if it was considered a quest, and the unique soulbound drop was something worthy you wouldn't even consider it? As to the grinding, there's people that practically camp out in the moore or cos and repeatedly do the walls hours on end. If all you're after is fast xp and uber drops no one is twisting peoples arms to enter. "t-shirt" was an example anyways. The scaling for the unique item would have be considered usable as some people don't just want wall decoration or don't even have a house.

To make it customizable there is a merchant that takes the "coin/token"

Let's see there are about 10 pieces of gear total someone could wear:
1. Weapon
2. Shield/weapon
3. torso
4. legs
5. gloves
6. head
7. boots
8. ring
9. ring
10. neck

Special shop owner takes one of the 4 token types.. let's just call em Crystal Coins
1. Crystal Coin
2. Heroic Crystal Coin
3. Epic Crystal Coin
4. Legendary Crystal Coin

Since you can only get 1 of these per end lvl boss and depending on the instance difficulty you'd need about 10 dungeons to cover a full suit (though nothing is stopping you from buying the same piece).
The shopkeeper of the instance type only takes that coin. His list is a soulbound piece of gear. This would have to be some pretty good gear depending and probably a guaranteed tint. A unique ability would be preferred above all else.

Small note, killing the end bosses nets some bonus quest xp and puts it into your quest log.
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

the difference with all the quests currently implemented is that you can pick 'em up and drop 'em as you like, you're not forced into doing it all at once like what you're suggesting. 10 hours solid gameplay is a bit much to ask of anyone, which is why i feel you should be able to pick which instance you enter providing you've done the previous ones.

Side-note - who gets the coin if a party completes it? Only the person that got the kill on the boss, or everyone?
- If everyone, what's to stop zorgon rushing everyone through the instances like he does on blood moor meaning that the items generally become a token of "I partied with zorgon and all i got was this lousy crystal coin"
- If only the person that gets the kill, that would be unfair on the up to 4 other party members
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Life isn't fair. Choose your comrades accordingly or solo it. Killer gets the drop. One soulbound coin/xp per end boss. Doesn't drop again if you kill it a 2nd time. Forces you to explore other dungeons that are often ignored and go further into the insance continuum.

All maps can be cheesed, instance or no insance. Nothing is stopping someone from using their knowledge to figure out what to do. I figured out how to get to the blood queen in about 10-15 minutes tops. Doesn't mean I killed her but I easily got to her and without dying.
Last edited by Keighn on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

Keighn wrote:Life isn't fair. Choose your comrades accordingly or solo it. Killer gets the drop. All maps can be cheesed, instance or no insance. Nothing is stopping someone from using their knowledge to figure out what to do. I figured out how to get to the blood queen in about 10-15 minutes tops. Doesn't mean I killed her but I easily got to her and without dying.
Killer getting the drop pretty much excludes priests from getting it (at least with the blood queen) because their job is to cast banish and to heal whenever they can
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Personally, I find the blood queen to be a poorly implemented mob in some ways. You shouldn't be able to dispel her eggs. She should force lay them upon 10% damage take, 50% damage take, 75% damge take, and 90% damge taken (I'm not entirely sure the circumstances for that). That's more than enough. Dispel shouldn't work on them as they are very solid and were conjured with magic. ATM, she's supposed to be the pinnacle of all boss mobs. I rather applaud the fixing of the amt/vamt cheese. Hated how egg fixed those spells at first but I adapted to it. I also think invisibility should be rendered null and void in there. She can smell blood, sense the living. At the very least everyone should be rendered visible upon entering her chamber.

I do know that the brood was made to dematerialize due to the room being over crowded. Now that this map is an instance, doesn't all aspects of the map get reset to new condition if no one has entered in a while?