Map evaluation thread

Moderator: EUO Moderators

hellslave
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Map evaluation thread

Post by hellslave »

Post maps you're in the process of working on in here to get other people's opinion on what sucks and what's good about your map. Similar to code reviewing done by programmers this aims to find little things (and some major things) to help our budding mappers get better, as well as making sure the quality of maps by the end is of a better quality than if the mapper ran off and did their own thing without any guidance.

So with no further a-do I present the first level of my work in progress for mockery and hopefully constructive criticism!
lvl299.png
Notes: a portal will appear in the grid at the bottom left to take to the player out of the portal shown in a small rectangle. A step trigger then takes them to the start of the castle at the right hand side. Looking back at it it seems a little retarded, will probably scrap the intermediate portal and just go straight from the grid to the castle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :jam:
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Map evaluation thread

Post by WbBann »

Like I told you ingame hell, i'm no expert on maps but the maps are way to plain and big... perhaps add skeletons, debris, shrubs etc to make it seem more lively... and make the maps a bit smaller to... nobody wants to feel like they are walking through a desert to find a door... good luck.
hellslave
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by hellslave »

Need to remember that there are mobs to fight along the way as spawners/features aren't shown in mapEd screenshots. I do need to go over the ground using the paintsets though, I had actually done that but hadn't saved when mapEd crashed on me, So i'll do that again. I don't think the map is that big. I think that whole map was something like 60 x 60, and as you can see a large potion of it isn't actually used.

But yeah point definately taken on the plain-ness of it!
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :jam:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Just some thoughts on maps or at least what I personally think makes a good map:
- Story elements (e.g. Valley of the Trolls).
- Puzzles.
- Exploring. Meaning a not too obvious way to the end of the dungeon with some cul-de-sacs (not too complicated though).
- Playing with tiles and items to create unique themes (e.g. jetties in storages rooms).
- Adding small details to rooms with the use of different tiles and items.
- Unique Mobs at the end of the dungeon.
Especially when I do a dungeon solo, I appreciate the storytelling and fully exploration of the dungeon.

Side note on Town of Lost Souls (Taberna'Os as lat. ref. to Innsmouth), which I started nearly 10 Months ago:
During my vacation I started to write down a background story, trying to place the map into EUO lore. My idea is that the entrance will be hidden and a book with the story and the location will be a drop or chest item. As well I want to create some atmosphere writing it as horror fiction comparable to Lovecraft, R.E. Howard or Bram Stoker.
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

Well.. First map ever.. Dunno what it is and i won't finish it as idk how to code, script or anything.. All i do is colour outside the lines.

If its almost crappy enough to be fixed, feel free to ask for it. The only credit i need is the fact that your using it :)

On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

Are you going for a map that has been raided by monsters like CoS or are looking it to like a community map like Nord?
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Well, it has shops and all so i'd say community, and it has a couple of places around it such as the shrine, castle etc. Think of nord, but on the top of a mountain.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
Casualty
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Casualty »

Bump.

This is a 3 story dilapidated building I created, I intend it to be a haunted Orphanage but I guess I could also make the map a boarding school.

Updated with signs.

edit: updated, yay thumbnails.
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Casualty wrote:Bump.

This is a 3 story dilapidated building I created, I intend it to be a haunted Orphanage but I guess I could also make the map a boarding school.

Updated with signs.

edit: updated, yay thumbnails.
For the upper levels I would suggest trimming it down to only 8 spaces within the explorable area since that is all the player will be able to see anyway.
Flamesoffire
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Flamesoffire »

Me reliving my childhood... And 20minutes before i did this.

Kinda just getting used to map n all. Be gentle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Defeating a sandwich, Only makes it tastier... - Vegeta.
TheCrusher
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by TheCrusher »

I can hear the original music playing just from looking at it. LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
Casualty
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Casualty »

Flamesoffire wrote:Me reliving my childhood... And 20minutes before i did this.

Kinda just getting used to map n all. Be gentle.
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

You guys remember more about myself than I do. All I remember Is going through castles, defeating bowser, just to be told that the princess is in another castle. And when I do find her.... You wanna know what I get!? A CAKE! No sex, just a disgusting cake! Just because I'm a fat plumber doesn't mean I want a cake. Now she is going around getting caught. And I have to search different planets and such to find her. My life sucks

--emo Mario
~Mario
dshadowplay
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by dshadowplay »

-edited-
never mind...
Last edited by dshadowplay on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

That'd be fuggin awesome, imo. Think of the player getting trapped in lava thanks to some error of pushing a button. Or maybe they flood the room as a safety mechanism (to block hordes of ground monsters from comming in).
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,