digging mines thread

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: digging mines thread

Post by Keighn »

Dig a hole with shovel to hidden WACK-A-WABBIT lvl.
ZUPS!!!!
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

determined to get that in are you?
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

what if for 10 addy coins you could buy a item call it the "Main Support Beam" and this item would make a mine permanent until this support bean was destroyed and waves of monsters would attack this beam until it was destroyed each wave getting harder and harder
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I "support" that ^^^ idea. :P
ZUPS!!!!
Evanthia
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Evanthia »

As I read the thread I did a lot of thinking, and getting owned by a random Balron while mining ores does *not* sound fun. Maybe something not quite so devastating, or if you're getting close to a Balron there are obvious warnings (You disturb an imp or two, if you get closer you disturb a Daemon, and if you get closer still then you wake up the Balron)

I saw that statues was something on the list of possible things you can dig up, not sure if this is needed since we have WoP, but here are some ideas for rare (one spawned per three mines?) or very rare (one spawned per twenty mines?) unique decorative items that might be dug up:

Different types of statues, such as crystal/diamond/ruby/emerald/etc ((For a bit of variation from the constantly white statues))

Sword in a stone

Ancient Pottery

Magic Mirror ((Instead of showing the normal mirror picture it could A- show a certain monster/scene when someone stands in front of it, or B- show a random image when someone stands in front of it))

Ancient Golem

((More to come later... maybe))
They say insanity is bad, but it hasn't killed me yet.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
Finished contests:
Scavenger hunt; Winner: Rusty
Bounty Hunter; Winner: Kin
What's that GOLEM?; Winner: Sephiroth

Current contest:
http://www.forums.swut.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4052 ((Triple Competition, great prizes!))
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

what if you could dig holes and the hole would spawn like 9 goblins every min(or 30 sec) or so and as time goes on the holes gain level so that after an hour or so shadow warriors will be spawning ( or shadow mages) and as soon as the mobs spawn they make a B line for the exit of the mine killing any one in the way (have melee and magic spawners ie goblins- SW {} goblin shamans- SM)

how ever this is a very easy cheese so make an other spawner that spawns goblin miners ( normal goblin damage but 1k hp or so) that can attack dirt or stones on there way to the exit as that is what would be used to cheese the exp just like the black gates cheese (the CoS gates Voging over the edge with out getting hit your self but killing mid- high level mobs)

the holes would be total random and very killable like 1k hp or what ever( on second thought i think it would be best to make the melee spawns kill any stones (cause stones are the only thing you can shoot spells over they shouldn't kill dirt as this will make the mine messy)
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Funny you mention holes. I was thinking that maybe if you dug a "hole" like in cartog, then it'd lead to lvl 2 of your mine and so on. This might be particularly nice if different levels of mines had sometimes random caverns with mobs in them.

Mines with random streams, caves, and pools of water would be cool.

Problem with multi levels is them sealing up after a time. I also think only 5 mines per map is allowed so one mine could only have a max of 5 levels if no one else made a mine. And what if you were say on a lower level and the mine level above you sealed up?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

this is what euo mining needs - engine support for something like this:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:BaronW
Khelben
on lolpatrol

Post by Khelben »

eggmceye wrote:this is what euo mining needs - engine support for something like this:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:BaronW
Suddenly, I don't feel so bad having spent an hour or two on EUO now and then.
IT IS S
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by IT IS S »

That is like... :shock:
I was thinking , what if there was a treasure or something hidden and you got a 'compass' that pointed (in eight directions) to the treasure. Then you would get a limited amount of 'moves' to get to the treasure before the mine collapsed.
There is no cheesing that is not skill
Evanthia
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Evanthia »

IT IS S wrote:That is like... :shock:
I was thinking , what if there was a treasure or something hidden and you got a 'compass' that pointed (in eight directions) to the treasure. Then you would get a limited amount of 'moves' to get to the treasure before the mine collapsed.
That might make it less of a mine and more of a pirate treasure dig =>.<=
Maybe without the 'collapsing after a certain number of moves' part, Egg seems to have worked hard on the formula for collapses.
They say insanity is bad, but it hasn't killed me yet.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
Finished contests:
Scavenger hunt; Winner: Rusty
Bounty Hunter; Winner: Kin
What's that GOLEM?; Winner: Sephiroth

Current contest:
http://www.forums.swut.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4052 ((Triple Competition, great prizes!))
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

mines:
- part of the mine being generic with lava, water streams and chasms (void tiles)
- treasures guarded by some mobs

terraforming:
- carpenter/tinker tools for improved walls, floors instead of shovel
- shovel to dig holes to expand river and lava streams
- shovel to upgrade hole to chasm (void)
- creating water/lava-falls by connecting a stream to a chasm (flipping/rotating the -fall sprite depending on direction of flow)
- enable underground farming

ore veins:
- discreet tinting of cave wall tiles that contain ore.
- Maybe using an item overlay for tinting that fills partly the black between the stones of the cave wall tiles to display ore veins, e.g.:
mining.png
overlay/walltile/crystal/vamp/gold/blackrock/addy/copper/veno/iron,silver,zink
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Do mines still CAVE-IN? While reading the mining book on pd it says not to worry about balrons, caveins, etc. Is this the case on pd or does the book need editing to reflect the current nature of mining?
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

gem veins.PNG
OK, I've started playing around in mines again and Morts tint overlay for ores made me think "Why not gems also?" This also makes me think of the fun times on Clouds of Xeen that I spent mining gems in the dwarven mines. 4 hours later today I finished and after thinking about it I could have done it sooner if I took some shortcuts.

What would we do with all these gems? I don't know maybe I'll post that idea in idea thread. I do think that veins found in mines should be mined similar to how mountains are then the tile disappears (uncertain how many times veins in mountains are mined until depleted, I'll start counting).

Once in a while a shard crystal (empty) can be mined up just like gold nuggets can in normal veins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

If submitting some ruins maps should they all be in one map file regioned out? Seems like this would be easier than creating a bunch of miniature map files.
ZUPS!!!!
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

This was really fun (compared to normal mining on the continent) what ever happened to this?
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

according to https://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Updates_in_2013 it was removed in January for some unknown reason. maybe gems were too common/combined with I thought it was unfinished? I don't remember.

I occasionally think about putting it back in - but feel like it needs to be revamped/made more interesting - like: (now I am just live-spitballing)
- they are ultra rare, or one spawns once a week
- you can build inside them properly, so player made dungeons
- place spawners?
- game is minigame like crypt wizard or dungeon keeper
- excavate ruins? archaeology skill?
- players collect resources for rep or some bs equivalent
- then what - save the map? I don't know
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I think the other issue was all those random holes in the continent mountains were causing server problems? They were everywhere!

Thanks for the reminder about Treacherous Caves still being mine-able, was fun.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Probably the insta-death cave in complaints.
ZUPS!!!!