priest thread (split from ivpy)

Moderator: EUO Moderators

The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Re: priest thread (split from ivpy)

Post by The Oracle »

Aristarch wrote:MR reduction spell for priests
Debuffs are more necromancer style.
And btw, "crusader" is a pretty common term in RPG games, and, LC...
Dictionary wrote: cru⋅sade -
3. any vigorous, aggressive movement for the defense or advancement of an idea, cause, etc.: a crusade against child abuse.
So, that's not necessarily religious, though it carries the connotation. Same for the word priest, really.
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

he has a point
and i always play holy worriors what ever they are called just so i can have 10000000 hp and take all them dmg in the game MUHAHAHA :LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON: :LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON:

also do you think for a cleric circle 8 spell you could make a friendly VOG that heals? gold instead of blue lines?
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
~SF~
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by ~SF~ »

Why do I have a feeling regen rings and Orbs of Health will soon become VERY popular....

Well, I dont like the idea, to be honest, but maybe its for the best...
"A rose by any other name is just as sweet... but there is only ONE twinkie!"
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

What about going along the lines of the aura spell in Shining Force. Basically the lesser ones did a lesser healing to all friends in a radius of the caster or target of the spell. The most powerful aura could function like VM.
ZUPS!!!!
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

I was wondering. Are we gonna have some sort of idea barrage time for divination spells? And if we do, will divination eventually be a shared skill between necromancers and priests? If so that's gonna be tricky. I predict a lot of outrageously unfitting ideas being cranked out X-D ...I can't wait.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Nope - I got the draft list of spells, and the list for druids too

True dat about it being tricky if there is a shared school between priests & necros - hence I've come to the conclusion that necro should be either a subclass of magery (mutex with sorc) or is it's own primary class. But I don't really feel like doing necro right now.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

The Oracle wrote:
Aristarch wrote:MR reduction spell for priests
Debuffs are more necromancer style.
And btw, "crusader" is a pretty common term in RPG games, and, LC...
Dictionary wrote:
According to Merriam-Webster Online:
"1 capitalized : any of the military expeditions undertaken by Christian powers in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries to win the Holy Land from the Muslims.
2 : a remedial enterprise undertaken with zeal and enthusiasm."

According to the Cambridge Dictionary Online:
"[C] a long and determined attempt to achieve something which you believe in strongly
They have long been involved in a crusade for racial equality.
a moral crusade against drugs

[C often plural]
(also Crusade)
a holy war fought by the Christians against the Muslims, often in Palestine, in the 11th, 12th, 13th and 17th centuries"

According to the Oxford Dictionary Online:

" • noun 1 any of a series of medieval military expeditions made by Europeans to recover the Holy Land from the Muslims. 2 an energetic organized campaign with a political, social, or religious aim: a crusade against crime.

• verb 1 lead or take part in a crusade. 2 crusading energetically campaigning for a particular aim.

— DERIVATIVES crusader noun.

— ORIGIN French croisade, from croisée ‘the state of being marked with the cross’."

So... how selective was your dictionary quote?

Anyway, any further debate on this should be in the other sub-forum.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

X-D
I actually thought you were joking after I'd posted all that and kinda felt bad for even making a rebuttal. But whatever, it's a non-issue. I just wanted to throw out a title idea, since all egg has said so far is "priest maces skill" "blessed weapon skill" etc. But I suppose it doesn't matter what it's called. :roll:
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

So basically, LC, what you're saying is "I want priests to be implemented, but I don't want there to be any kind of religious references."

I'm going to reference another game here, hear me out. Final Fantasy involved a military group called "The Crusaders" who were on a "Crusade" against a great evil in their world, and yes, it was in the name of their religion. That religion, however, was not Christianity.

Why don't we all just assume that if the title "Crusader" was implemented, it wouldn't be derived from it's Christian roots? Problem solved, nobody needs to make any more stands.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

so what your trying to say is, lets just call it the crusade from final fantasy, so no one will make any religouse slurs so no one is offended? if so i like the idea.
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

"Crusade" derives from old term "marked by the Cross" so how can it be not related to Christianity?

Also, a "crusading" skill? Can you imagine:
Attack with long sword: killed a rat ( 1 damage)
Your skill in crusading is now 12?

Also, I can't see why debuffs don't fit priests. Have you never heard of priests praying before the battle for their enemies to be punished by gods?
Foul beast approaches?!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Dictionaries are nice and all for terms but as a writer I often refer to the thesaurus on its own to contruct my meanings:

Roget's 21st Centuary Thesaurus --- Barbara Ann kipfer, PH.D. (all i use atm as i don't like buying too many books)

crusade [n.] campaign for cause
cause, demonstration, drive, evangelism, expedition, holy war, jihad, march, movement, push; see concept 300 (which is about political usage which I'll skip.

Everyone has their own religion and drive. I believe one man said there are as many religions on the planet as there are people.
ZUPS!!!!
Xuzoun
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Xuzoun »

The whole proposal seems to be really exciting. We all know that there will be whining etc at the beginning, but that's why we are writing our thoughts down here and discuss the matter.

What can I share with you guys is my opinion on xmp spell, why not to call it just a 'drain' spell. No matter what will be the target for it, it will drain life forces from living creatures or suck any kind of energy that flows within undead ones (animation needs some kind of energy blablabla). So it no longer make a nonsense.

As for priests, I think the aura proposal is great yet wanting. I can imagine it to be alike EU, so it is activated for some period of time (shorter though) and grants everyone around priest a little hp regen. (sorta like those healing wards).

As for buffs and de-buffs I have no bloody idea, wait till there be any actual submission.

Xuz.
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

eggmceye wrote:Nope - I got the draft list of spells, and the list for druids too

True dat about it being tricky if there is a shared school between priests & necros - hence I've come to the conclusion that necro should be either a subclass of magery (mutex with sorc) or is it's own primary class. But I don't really feel like doing necro right now.
:shock: is there some kind of rough time line for when this is going in
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

see you in the alpha / priest thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3891