PvP thoughts...

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Re: PvP thoughts...

Post by Raiden »

The whole mage thing has turned once again into the old argument. Block needs some tweaking- here's a thread with my old idea: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2714&p=42775#p42775 But my original post from 2005 was deleted.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh we know block sucks viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2714 - what's worse though, block as it is or block adding to defence rating? Shields are dumb and should be for show only!

as for mages having to stop to cast like rouges, yes that is how it should work, whether it does or not is another story
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

How hard would it be to make block work how it does now, but only in the direction of the blockers last attack?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I took a look at that thread and noticed dolus had a comment as well.

I could see a few different approaches to improving block:
dolus wrote:-Have a block button. The thing that's always annoyed me the most about block is that a player can block while swinging a weapon, which is a bit much.
Potential problem with this approach: I guess it may make block useless, since holding down a block button instead of attacking doesn't really get you anywhere.

-Have successful blocks absorb a certain percentage of damage instead of removing all damage. The percentage would be dependent on the player's block skill (i.e. a successful block with 50% block skill would soak 50% damage, or something like that).
Potential problem: Once someone gets 100%, block would behave essentially the same as it does now. Maybe have all blocks absorb a max of 75% damage or something like that?

-Perhaps have some kind of attack that temporarily disable's your opponent's block skill, kind of like a disarm for block. I'm not sure exactly how you would do this though...rage attacks? Critical hits? Something like that? Eh, this isn't a very good idea.

-Keep block the same, but lower the rate of a successful block.
Problem: Boring.

-Just go back to the old way. Simple.
Problem: What's the point in that? There's nothing fun about scrapping a skill altogether. Plus, I like hearing the block sound.
There's a couple interesting things there. And I certaintly want to try someting vs. a rouge considering disarm and that is if your secondary weapon which uses the shield icon can be disabled. A disarm attack should have the ability to disarm shields. Since rogues are supposed to be sneaky why not have backstab bypass blocking. When you backstab you're basically striking from behind and striking usually just below the neck in a nice sweet spot between helm and armour (depending on helm type or armour since there are lots of historical types that differe immensely) & I don't know of any shields that wrap around your backside.

How many shields are there:
buckler
Small
large
Kite
Heater
Tower

Well, if you managed to get "facing sides" for players when attacking like the goldbox games then you could definitely make shields work more accurately. I could explain further but it isn't simple and more likely a nightmare to bother with programming wise. So the simple fixes from Raiden/dolus/and whomever would work easier in the long run.

-----
On a slight tangent to PvP thoughst, what ever happened the the brownethorne test server? I still think a PvP all the time pd server with monthly resets would be of merit. If there was an award system for winning that month that affected an alt via the other servers people might even try it out more. And the server need not be set to x10 skills/xp. It doesn't really address the PvP reg server so meh.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

DrBiggie wrote:How hard would it be to make block work how it does now, but only in the direction of the blockers last attack?
I'm going to trial this and mages fumbling ranged spells up to 500ms after running next patch.

I think a block-key is the best idea but won't work for 2 reasons: 1) lag 2) where would you put the key?
wishIwasDM
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by wishIwasDM »

Have wanted a block key for a while, as for the mage....no comment ;) good luck
The snake only strikes when the stars are aligned.
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

Well here's a bug with directional blocking before you put it in that Brad pointed out to me. How will that work against ranged attacks? The solution I have is to include any attacks from within 90 degrees of the direction you attacked last. IE if your block direction is right, any ranged attacks from the right of straight up and down are in your blocking range.
"I should make a gold suit of armor for my pimp"

DrBiggie: wtfs up Raiden?!
Raiden: you high?
Revan
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by Revan »

Don't forget to nerf parries too. Same concept as block.
goemon: "Anyone wanna give me enchanted wood?"
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

On second thought, maybe all the blocking should use that 90 degrees concept, and not just the ranged. For example if I attack right, and my opponent attacks from diagonally up and right, I should still have a chance to block. Just a general direction instead of the exact direction that way.
"I should make a gold suit of armor for my pimp"

DrBiggie: wtfs up Raiden?!
Raiden: you high?
Morpheus
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Morpheus »

i agree Block is overpowered for PvP but it isn't overpowered for PvM.. it's the only saving grace against fighting multiple monsters for a fighter.. while mages can easily VOG/IVPY them; fighter's can't.. so i always thought it was to balance this..
Look at it from a low level player's point too.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

this thread proof that I shouldn't listen to players opinions - I'm going back to ignoring you all, sorry
KingDavid
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by KingDavid »

Took you long enough to realize. :P
Be strong and of good courage; fear not or be dismayed; for the Lord, even my God, will be with thee. He will not fail thee, till thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.
Revan
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by Revan »

Most Infamous thread ever?
goemon: "Anyone wanna give me enchanted wood?"
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

look at the ego on this guy ^^^
Revan