Let's talk about quests

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Another quest (besides killing K'Van for Melkior) with some cool new features is the Treasures of Pendragon for Faran. I think Keighn has already mentioned wanting to see the features involved. You get to flip a switch (the only one I've seen in EUO as yet), and you have to use "s"earch to actually uncover the quest item.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

WOW! Thanks for that bit of info. It certainly allows me to branch out my ideas and how they will work.
ZUPS!!!!
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

I must be rusty. Couldn't find Faran in pendragon, and this goblin quest has me totally stumped.

The placement of sanct features in the (new)old mine is well done, there's just one area - right at the end of the trek, you can IP past the impassable barrier. Was this intended? I've a feeling this special altar shouldn't be available to me without a quest (?).

Oh and please... I've found loads of kegs, and none have responded... *tearing hair out*. But there's a switch / bridge involved in this new one too - is this through maped, or do you have to code them uniquely?

Also, nice to see Percy's quest in there - although it doesn't update when you speak to Derinda / Percy. Quest remains open, although text suggests its finished (and nice writing btw)

p.s.

I've been working through DROD:architecture - there's some really nice little puzzles in there I might steal from ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

Right after entering Pendragon, take the left passage through the imps and skeleton mage. Faran is somewhere along the west side of this level a bit north from there.

The Duogon map layout allows for cheesy blinks all around, from the very start to the final locations, too bad one of the designed places requires blinking.

I found some of the new quest rewards too plain, like the scepter quest in Pendragon: x thousand of xp and y thousand of gold - I certainly now regret I gave the scepter to Faran - it'd be more fun to keep it. Other than that it was great, especially the unexpected hydras after killing the evil wizard.
Foul beast approaches?!
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

First is from the remodeled (new)old mine - hadn't seen it, was exploring the new goblin brew quest - there's a purple field right at the end, with that room after it. Was wondering if there was an intended quest mob there, and whether or not it was supposed to be reachable without a field key - which are possible, but horribly complicated to do, apparently.

Duogon was designed like that intentionally - although wide-screen makes it more obvious - the important parts were vaguely 'sanct'd off (e.g. not being able to IP past the ruined entrance to the demon lower part, still possible if you know where), but its totally cheesable - if you read one of the signs, you'll see why ;) It was also designed before mobs got magic, making some of the rooms instant death traps. :?

One of the reasons I asked Egg for a map set is because wide-screen reveals a lot of the carefully occluded (counted by hand originally) view distances and so on - its not so important, but hey. I also wanted to get my hand back in just tarting up some of the old maps (complaints that the pit looks 'pants' now) before I started on anything big. Not sure when the (new)old mine went in, but its a whole larger / better map - might be nice to tweak a few of the really ancient ones a bit.

Anyhow, Kyb / Egg has again made me scratch my head - this time on the yellow orb quest... red gem? elise? Must be getting slow in old age.
eggmceye
hello

Re: Let's talk about quests

Post by eggmceye »

My current interest in EUO is quests. My (still) current goal is to get enough xp from quests to get you 1/3 of the way to 60 or 75 or whatever. Currently lvl 1-30 is fine, and 40-50 is good. After 55 there are a few odds and ends.

* I need about 15-20 new quests of about avg 7.5 xp each for the 30-40 gap.
* these new quests may or may not involve main story & or maeondir (if maeondir must be towards 40).
* along with all euo paradigms quests aren't very railroaded, the only obvious thread is the guards set and the rest you just have to find on your own
* I don't particularly like kill X monsters, but for the guards quests it isn't too bad I guess sometimes

Post here if you can come up with a short summary of a dungeon+quest that is vaguely interesting at least for the 30-40 set. Don't post pages of ideas, I won't read them.

example:

- mariah in maeondir wants to make seafood chowder, needs 5 tasty crab meats and 5 clams, she gives you 5 clam chowders in return and a recipe
- mariah in maeondir wants you to convert 10 tree ents to good aligned mobs using some special wand or some crap
Heikki
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Heikki »

Egg wrote:
* I don't particularly like kill X monsters, but for the guards quests it isn't too bad I guess sometimes
I dont know if this any refine "x-amount" quest but anyways...

Maybe some random quests that can be done as many times that player wants (Those quests may have one day "cooldown" time)

Ideas:

* Random kill quest:
Kill random amount (10-30), random monster for reward in Maeondir

* Random craft quest:
Craft random amount of items for random reward

* Random collect quest :
Collect random amount of rare ingredient for random reward
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

thanx but was hoping for some specific suggestions for lvl 30-40
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Anyone have a list of NPCs per town/dungeon? I rather like the complicated go to x, then to x, back to x, to x, to x = fini.

Book quests are nice but now require something written in the book I suppose.

I'd suggest again the shard quests but definitely redo the mantras. I think I'll look around to find NPCs who could mention them (Iolo, Mariah, some 6 other guys). Pray at x shrine for x cycles. Dig at x to find shard. If that's too easy dig up some Shadow Ghost that guards the shard.

Cows are dying from a horrible disease. X cow (what ever he's called in valley of moo) needs a special antidote, scroll, ingredient to cure it and save all of cow kind. (BTW, I think attacking any cow in valley of the cow should invoke Bovindus' Wrath as we've seen several DM's playing around with that mega cow - HE's UNKILLABLE).
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I forgot to mention something on the Shard Quest; you must have the specific stone to do that quest. Stone must be activated as per the Black stone was to get to Maeondir. Activating Stones requires x task for that NPC to be done first.

An additional possibility is to find a rune stone that can be read like a book (or stone is in the book) that tells the mantra.
ZUPS!!!!
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Cartography NPC - basic premise for these crafting quests is that each craft has a guild, with six ranks, each rank having 3-4 quests you can do to get to the next ones. Ideally, they should introduce the crafts to players and give +crafting skills to encourage questing and not grinding.

NPC - Garrionius, located University.

1st tier
-Visit 7 townes
-Visit 6 villages
-Visit 5 castles

2nd tier

-find 5 destroyed townes / places (e.g. bayside, pride's fall etc)
-find 5 towers (wizard's, cass etc)
etc

3rd tier

-find 7 of the 8 shrines
etc

4th tier

-Journey to Maeonir, meet NPC whose stuck, rescue NPC, report to University

5th tier

-journey into the underworld, find 'message in a bottle' from ship, read co-ordinates, dig for specific cartog hole on continent (somewhere hard to reach), find object X in there.
-find 3 hidden spots in maps, read co-ords from two, conditions from another (e.g. 10 o'clock at night), travel to that place at time allocated (maybe even moon phase, a la nightshade / mandrake) and talk to NPC

6th tier

-get pirate map from NPC in Buc den (requires X cartog skill to read), find five pieces of map - dungeon, NPC, chest, towne/castle, moongate, take to NPC to combine, read map to open specific cartog hole with great chance of artifact inside. Could be an excuse to wang the auto-dungeon generator into over-drive :)

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for? I get the impression my previous input wasn't too hot, so don't want to spam too many. But it'd be doable to have each crafting skill have their own 'guild' quests, and make them doable for the level 30-40 brigade (although the last ones look higher at the very least).

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2889 ... b9a8902bda < just in case you want to see how I'm building the NPC. NPC both explains the crafting skill, and gives quests. Please say if this is really not the path you're looking for.
Heikki

Post by Heikki »

Very nice ideas Cat! :dance:

Here comes some (crappy?) more:

* Gladiator quests at Arena .. Player needs to slay 5 different gladiator to win "Gladiator Belt".(Monsters that gives good challenge for lvl 30-40 lvl players)
* Evil mage have turned NPC to toad... Player needs to receive and use polypile wand to turn NPC back to human and maybe kill mage (May be lich.. or is it too hard for lvl 30?)
* Player needs to receive ship, then chase ands sink evil pirate ship near Bugs Den.
(Pirate ship that gives good challenge for lvl 30-40 lvl players)
* Player needs to receive and melt adamantium item to adamantium ingot... NPC will turn ingot to addy coin. (NPC will allso tell how to get more those coins.. maybe this motivates players to buy addy coins?)
* Heling-skill quest: Player needs to heal 10 diseased NPC:s with bandages and healing skill
* Taming quest: Stablemaster needs 10 x tamed rabbits and 10 x tamed cows for animal exhibition
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

I'd like to see some of the existing NPCs scattered around various dungeons give quests. I suspect some of them may have been added with quests in mind, but without the quests ever implemented. I'll do some exploring and see what's out there, but off the top of my head:

Tangled Forest: apple seeds from Dereth the Arborist (mentioned in the other quest thread)
Tangled Forest: Balron's Ire (mentioned in other thread, good high level quest since it involves killing a bally)
Tangled Forest: haunted barrow; kill the thief leader, return stolen X to barrow (I suspect this was intended to be a quest at some point, but kind of low level)

River's End: kill the balron at the end for Silence the minotaur

Snowy Island: track down the Avatar and his companions (forgetting the details of the conversation that leads into this); I think the quest would just entail finding proof that they've left New Sossaria for good.

Ogretown: something with that chick who's guarding her dead lover. umm, probably involves doing evil things for her.

VoT: this is crying for some quests, good to see Cat's on it

Mountain Pass: get a Wand of Resurrecting Gremlins (maybe in the mage school) for the gremlin who cries about you killing his family
Mountain Pass: something with Bovindus, per Keighn's idea

Undersea Passage: steal invasion plans, return them to a guard so a defense can be organized (kind of low level)

Netherterra: have an NPC who wants you to bring a beacon/portal stone through the maze so they can get to the end of the dungeon

Orc's Desert: not remembering conversations here, but there's a wizard/lich who maybe could have stolen something that needs to be returned to the pyramid

Lunacy: kill the shadowlord

Sin Vraal: something between him and Estorrath....

Duogon: something with the shard...

OK, running out of rough ideas. Underworld and Maeondir need more quests. Could just add quest givers to Maeondir to have you kill the Doppleganger, Phoenix, and other bosses at the ends of the dungeons. I think delivery quests (give X to Y) could be used more in EUO (we've got plenty of get X from Y). Need some kill quests for higher level chars (ballys, dragons, shadowkin)
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

My NPC suggestions / dialogue drew a bit fat 0% of a response, so meh. I'll bin the rest of them.

An aside: the LUA scripting is majorly cool beans. I know that only Egg and Kybare (extinct) got quests, I'm just annoyed my brain can't do it. I failed logic (only 2:1 student to get a fail in logic... ever.) so aren't that brain sided. However, I can see the potential, and that frustrates me.

>> EUO should go the way of the LUA scripting, that'd put it in a class of its own (and way beyond normal Rogue-a-likes). Dwarf Fortress is cool as it has so much AI response to player actions. If you had a large list of randomised (based on monster class etc) LUA scripts, the game would really challenge people. Imagine a rogue-a-like that 'responded' to you, via scripts, constantly. Now that'd be revolutionary, and waaaaay beyond the current XBOX port nonsense that PC gaming is about.

Anyhow, :sadpanda: for crafting quests not being a good idea.

[edit]

Gulnar is on the mark there though, at least in what I'd like to see - although I'm terribly approval orientated. Could someone say: yes, I want X quest, do it? Call it my fear of wasting Egg's time :/
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I thought your ideas were good Cat. You know what we really need is a thread that has lua scripted examples that can be cut/pasted into the game. I know there were a few, but maybe if there were a whole lot listed we'd get the hang of this lua scripting. I've always been bad at programming with the exception of some very basic html coding. Hell, the only reason I managed to do anything in the euowiki was from copy/pasiting basic code structures from previous pages and figuring it out bit by bit.

I'm pretty sure Rusty, Rush, TC, EGG(of course), and a few others know and could fill in more blanks and write a bunch of examples.
ZUPS!!!!
Assailant
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Assailant »

Dolus wrote: egg gets kidnapped by macro and the players have to find him or something?
One problem there. All noobs are just going to pass on where egg would be or something. Other than that not a bad idea. If you could make egg pop up in random dungeons, would be awesome.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

So I've just completed my 84th quest and I think I've done all of them (can someone confirm this?). I'm hoping there will be more quests for the level 80+ crowd, like on Maeondir or something. Those quests were lots of fun, thank you every one that made them.
IGN: 1
Rufio

Post by Rufio »

This is a random idea but, say you already done the rats quest in the newbie dungeon, ok so now i think we should be able to do that quest over for cash insted of experience? Say for that particular quest it would be like 100 gold or something. Just a thought.
Rufio - Level 314 - Bloodkin - Mage
http://euotopia.com/plyr.php?p=Rufio&serv=reg
KingDavid
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by KingDavid »

maybe like 5 gold, otherwise way to easy to cheese
Be strong and of good courage; fear not or be dismayed; for the Lord, even my God, will be with thee. He will not fail thee, till thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.
†WARMAGE†
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by †WARMAGE† »

Rufio wrote:This is a random idea but, say you already done the rats quest in the newbie dungeon, ok so now i think we should be able to do that quest over for cash insted of experience? Say for that particular quest it would be like 100 gold or something. Just a thought.
that idea sounds pretty cool i think.

maybe like after the 80 some quests are completed you can start "tasks" maybe the origanal newbie deuongeon gurad can assine them.

for example you finish all the quests go back talk to him and you get progresivly harder and harder tasks (sort of like the shoreline quests)

you start off with somthign simple like "go fourth and slay 10 rats come back for your reward!" task 2 "go fourth and kill 10 goblins, come back for your reward!" ect... for some low uncheeseable award per quest until you get to say the 30th or 40th final task and the reward could be some kind of soulbound item for any charecter class? maybe some kind of artifact reward like the crocidle hunters ring a souldbound item for that charecter only

not sure if i made sense but i think its a good idea :uhh: