90%
no
10%

Total votes: 10

eggmceye
hello

scapping item wear?

Post by eggmceye »

yay or nay - I say scrap it, forget about it, then rewrite it when goal "items as strings" gets done (if ever)

Some technical background: item wear only has 8 increments, 0, 14%, 28% etc due to the wear being stored in the item code, and only 3 bits being available for that figure.

The items as longs was a great idea back when all I knew about rpg items was gold box ad&d (when I designed the system in roughly 1998 or 99). The artifact system adds diablo & warcraft style items - unique codes for every different item.

I really like both sytems and EUO uses both, but has its limits as items are stored as longs (32 bit ints).

One of the things on my todo list is 'items as strings' which means items could have infinite amount of info attached to them, even stuff like who crafted them, custom names, proper item wear in 1% increments, and so on. That's possibly a long way off, or may never get done! It's a lot of work.

Turning item wear off in euo now is easy - and preferably I would go thru and repair everyones equipment and remove all traces of repair scrolls and what not - lets pretend it never existed.

Lets think abt it here for a bit then I might move this thread into the reg forum.
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

Of course, I say scrap it. Here is a screen shot in one fight that my weapon wore very quickly. This has happened more than once. I only have 1 xj sword, so the wear messages was for the same sword

Maybe to have your weapons become non wearable is something that could be bought with addy coins. Then those that like the wear(can't imagine why) can keep it like it is. I would buy it in a heartbeat at almost any price. I have almost lost my weapon several times due to my connection, so I carry 4 weapons with me now and only repair when I have to or tp home to repair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Ever since item wear has been put in I've had many biased opinions abt it relating to myself. First I thought my weapons wore faster than other people's weapons did. Then I thought maybe it was the fact that my weapons are named and its just some small bug that makes them wear faster. Then I guess I finally just blamed it on being a rogue and attacking more in 5 seconds than other classes is just their downfall. Thats abt the time I got over getting annoyed at my rondels wearing every 3-4 minutes if I'm lucky. Also, like Kendal I've had my connection drop out I think twice RIGHT after I drop my rondels down to repair them. Its amazing how an online game can almost cause a mini panic attack along with a giant mood swing.

I vote: OFF WITH ITS HEAD!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

6 votes (including mine) - doesn't anyone read this forum anymore - need to invite some more FOEs :cry:
BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

Post by BlackMage »

If I was currently playing (which I hope the whitelist idea gets in O:]) not having item wear, or even having it so that it would be a progressive wear (1%... 2%... 3%... etc) would incline me to start over with a fighter or a rogue so that I wouldn't have to repair the weapon every 30 seconds or so.
"All things end in judgement."
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'll stick whitelist in soon Jason. I might sneak it on today if I can get this certain webdev job done in the next hour or so.
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

I've taken to carrying dual sets of weapons, not sure if it's a bug that encourages this or not. Can't remember anymore, but if you drop 4 of an item, you can fix em with one use of the smith hammer. Pretty crazy when I hotkey it at 1.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Voted for yes. I didn't really noticed any changes in weapon wear since last patch(ie. for me weapons are wearing as often as before it), still it's annoying, and as other people said, it's kinda risky to drop your weapon on ground with unstable connection. I see one positive side of weapon wear though, it forces people(well maybe not all of them, but some) to train weaponsmith skill, and due to weapon wear this skill is at least a bit useful. For me personaly, perfect solution would be to allow you repair weapon without dropping it on ground - but if that's not possible, I'd say scrap it.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

One of my broad goals is to redo weaponsmith (and all the other crafts) completely, so it is more like enchanting (ie instaed of making 1000 shortswords make about 10 using uncommon drops as components) ... so ideally, weaponsmith only being useful for repairing as a concept should be destroyed.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I had often wondered about why item wear went in such increments. I'd say scrap the current one if you ever got the other item options you mentioned above working. Items wearing in 1% increments would work fine IMHO. Assuming that ever did work then perhaps armour wear could be tested on an alt server. I don't know about item wear (usable like smiths hammers, fishing poles, etc) would make any difference on the game and the current breakage is probably good enough (no sense in making the game uber-complicated).

So my vote is maybe depending? God that doesn't help does it? (esp. since that isn't a poll option).
ZUPS!!!!
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

Armorwear would be worse than weaponwear, too many pieces to repair.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I voted No on scrapping item wear altogether. The current item wear I would scrap. Reading the thread in the gen forum there was an idea that was floated. People hate dropping their items to repair. Makes sense as some people are damn thieves. Since anvils are no longer needed to repair items perhaps a menu similar to crafting would be a better idea. Here's a listing of "my" ideal item repair:

1. Menu activated rather than dropping the item.

2. Items wear at 1% increments (the 14% is just too damn much).

3. Repairing % is based on weapon (or armour) skill - basically 1% per 10 points (up to 10% being repaired at 100% skill).

4. Portable anvils must be in the inventory for the various hammers to work or better yet to double the repair bonus. (just thought of this as tinted anvil see below could come in handy).

5. Tinted Hammers to repair tinted weapons/armour (I thought I rather too simplified as it is).

6. Regular Repair Scrolls repair 20% & Improved Repair Scrolls repair 100%

7. Tinted Anvils (Heikki brought up the idea) used to repair x2 the percent possible based on the weapon/armourer skill mentioned above.

8. Items that are dropped on anvils and that have hammers used to repair could be repaired instantly (a drawback or boon depending on how you look at it).

9. Armour Wear (I know it seems very unpopular). Many of you may see this as a tedious problem but with 1% increments It should hardly be noticeable. The good option is that it allows you to increase your armourer skill in another fashion rather than just making items ad infinitum.

10. Special Quest Master Smithy & Master Armourer Hammers (I'd look for a better name personally) that either repair 50% wear at a crack or 100 % wear.

11. Rescale the % needed to repair items with enchantments. I'd put a suggested list but I currently don't have the data for the current settings.

My biggest opinion is that if you start scrapping crafting, item wear, and other possiblities then you're basically just playing an arcade game.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

1% increments is simply out of the question until I complete 'long term power goal' "items as strings" and that is such a hair raising prospect I can't ever seeing it happen to be honest.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Long-term-power-goal? You'll have to refresh my memory on that or simply link to it. There's many times you've claimed something might not happen but yet you come through miraculously. Seeing that the hot topic right now is books I think I'll focus any ideas and efforts to that.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Actually it isn't a long term goal, just a refinement on the todo list... but a rather complex one.