doing tournaments properly

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

doing tournaments properly

Post by eggmceye »

It's a fucking dog's breakfast right now. I think I'm just pissed off in general today at everything but today the tourney seems like a real joke.

Here's how it should be done properly. There are 4 aspects:

i) Entering: there needs to be a webpage where you enter ... attached to player profs, or eggbook as ppl been calling it. There needs to be a clear list of who is in what division. It should automatically work out the matchups randomly. There needs to be strict deadlines. It needs to be automated so it can be run every month.

ii) the fights themselves : what are the rules - no pots? no horses? I don't know - how can you stop people using pots? Should there be a modified arena map so that these rules can be enforced? I guess this is optional as people seem to be coping with the fight system as it is.

iii) submitting and collating results: either results subbed automatically (bit tricky) or have a system where the players sub the results via eggbook. It can work - I used to play in a war2 league that had a ladder. Both parties sub a result, the computer works out the rest. Again, there needs to be clear deadlines.

iv) dispute resolution: what if player x and y haven't subbed their result by the round deadline? who then defaults? How do you check this?

Here's how the fight system should work. I don't know how it works now but here is my opinion:

* In each division each player should fight everyone else. If there are N players there are N-1 fights. Everyone subs the result after their fight - ie player X subs win, player Y subs loss, result for XY fight is saved.
* If there is a clear winner after all fights (ie N-1) results saved then that person is declared winner.
* If there is not a clear winner, then tiebreaker(s) are fought. This effectvely would just be a new round with the people in equal first. Say X Y and Z are all equal first, then everyone else is removed and the round is refought with players X Y and Z.

This tourney should run every month, starting on the first, and finished by the 25th say. It is all automated.
There should be a entry fee, fixed but scaled by division, and winner takes the pot.
Belts should not be awarded, except maybe in an annual tourney. But I would rather run it monthly with no belts.
Winners get little medals on their eggbook or something like that rather than belts.
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

If each person in a division was to fight every other one, wouldn't it be N! / (2 * ( N - 2 )! ) total fights :? The bracket system with random match-ups as suggested in i) seems better. Also, the dead-men idea should be revised - if there's no prize associated with 2nd and 3rd place there's no motivation to fight if you already lost your match. Medals(gold, silver and brown) on the site plus possibly a rank board for champions seems good enough, also I'd divide the pot for those places: 1/2 of the money for 1st place, 1/3 for the 2nd and 1/6 for 3rd.

ii) There needs to be some kind of supervision, especially that so big portion of tournament is going to be automated. I'd suggest that every submission of the results should also be confirmed by a third party - a judge - and he would be listed on the results webpage together with participants.
People should discuss on the boards about the rules and the rules may change over time - I don't think it's neccesary to enforce them by any coding.
There's virtually no way now to check if participants use specified amount of potions - could there be some, say, NPC to note each potion quaffed just like they note items picked up now?

iv) The winner could be by default the one who spent more time online:smile:
Foul beast approaches?!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

there might be N! / (2 * ( N - 2 )! ) total fights but each player only does N-1 fights, that is what I meant to say

you sound useful, want to program it haha it X-D
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

I wish I could help, I don't know much about web coding though :-S

Last edited by Aristarch on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foul beast approaches?!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

jesus, does that work
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

Haha, pretty well for a first php script X-D At least it works for me. I figure I'll be able to do it properly in few days, just for sake of learning how it should be done.
Sorry for bothering you with this try.

----
Edit: Scrap that, test this instead. That's more decent :P

UPDATE:
-You can now register, create accounts and characters for them and enter them into tournament. If allowed, you can enter multiple into multiple divisions with separate characters.
-After entry deadline expires, it's possible to set up match list(click a button currently, I'll change this to be done automatically). Matches are in round-robin system where each participant has to fight each other one.
-After match-up list is set, it's possible to submit results.
-Each time you submit, you have to log onto your account and then specify: 1st participant name, 2nd participant name and a judge character name and score
-Script checks if(picks up only last submitted entries):
--there are results submitted by both players of that match
--both agree about the judge
--there is a result submitted by that judge
--all the scores submitted are the same
-If so, match is validated and submits for it are no more checked(requires admin intervention to change beyond this point)
-Scores are updated
-TODO:
--clean up everything
--fix bugs when found
--make it look nicer
--extend admin panel so it's manageable without direct mysql usage
--'my matches' feature
--prize distribution

Password for admin panel is 'euorules'.
I created some accounts already for testing: a, b, c, d with passwords aaaaaa, bbbbbb, ...
There are 3 characters on each of them: alight, amedium, aheavy, ...
Note that this host is crappy and tends to hang a lot.

It has to be tested of course X-D

//Also once per month seems too often for this kind of thing. It should be more like once per 3 months if not more.
Foul beast approaches?!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: doing tournaments properly

Post by Keighn »

*Bump* In case there is a yearly tournament.

Loved last years esp with the starting tiles where to stand in classic arena.
Loved the potion usage indicator.
Loved the donation box for prizes.
Disappointed no belts.

Suggestion:
Each opponent starts with vanilla gear (ie. no enchant, no tints) This should be about skill not lewt gear.