EUO under Wine?

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Gin
BBQ ABC <3

EUO under Wine?

Post by Gin »

Hi,
I have started messing around with Linux. I was wondering if anyone had had any success getting EUO to run under WINE.
I got the installer to run, but then it became very unhappy.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think what you have to do is install it on windows, and then copy it over. The installler doesn't do anything funky, just unzips really.

EUO builds under linux and macosx btw, but official releases aren't really available atm. But I'm pretty sure euo runs under wine, but with some keyboard and maybe sound difficulties.
OlympusMons
How do I attack?

EUO on Linux?

Post by OlympusMons »

I've gotten euo to start up under the most current wine build, but as you say, keyboard and audio problems render the game unusable. What's the next step? Is there a way to run euo on Linux? Something I can change in wine, or a secret link to the Linux build of euo?
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

What we have here is someone who knows how to use the search function in a forums!

Good question for ya tho: Maybe better to start a new thread than to resurrect a 2 years dead one?
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
OlympusMons
How do I attack?

Post by OlympusMons »

Good point about starting a new thread. I just didn't want somebody else to search the forum and point me to this dead topic. The forum posts elsewhere say that the Linux port is long dead with no hope of resurrection (rather than risk the code getting out in the wild), but I figured I'd see if there was any new interest or anyone who knew how to get it working under wine in the last two years. I'm guessing not, but you never know.

It looks like it should work, but after loading the initial animation, wine freezes on keyboard input.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Run a Virtual Machine of windows in a linux box and run euo in that?
OlympusMons
How do I attack?

Post by OlympusMons »

It kind of defeats the purpose of finding a tiny footprint game to play on my ancient lappy, but that's a good suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Nevita
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Nevita »

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I found that the biggest source of problem with running EUO under Wine was in choosing which version of Windows you are "emulating" (ducks in case of Wine purists...).

I found that sticking with Win98 seemed to work the best, with the occasional sound/music problems. If that doesn't work, it may be a problem with how Wine is set up under your Linux distro.

Hope this helps.
OlympusMons
How do I attack?

Post by OlympusMons »

The latest version of wine works now. Something was wrong with the last one.

I even have sound more or less correctly except for music, which is fine by me.
clintonclinton
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Post by clintonclinton »

wine takes its environment from the shell from which it is invoked. The reported problem with euo.exe not liking keyboards when used with wine can be solved by adding (I assume you run bash!):

set convert-meta On

to your ~/.inputrc file, or alternatively you can enter above command in bash immediately prior to invoking wine.

Hope this helps :)
OSanJiri
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by OSanJiri »

So, here's an issue. Recently installed EUO on the newest version of wine (9.35?) and upon firing it up I get a message about euo not being able to use drop shadows unless colors are 16 or 32 bpp, and then the whole thing tanks. Any ideas what's going on? I tried changing my windows selection in winecfg, but, alas, new wine doesn't seem to have a Win 98 option.
"Strap on that jammypack..."
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Ok. I have a Linux laptop called and "EeePc." You may have not heard of it. But it runs under Linux, Xandros. (I don't know too much about it).
You can find out about it at http://www.eeeuser.com

Any ways. I'm trying to run EUO under Wine. But I get errors.
It used to work. So there must be a solution.
Check out the screen shots.

Picture of trying to run it in the terminal
Error pop up 1
Error pop up 2
Any help would be nice.
Last edited by jumpstart on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mario
Devlin
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Devlin »

EUO installs fine under Linux (you need to make sure it makes a desktop shortcut, and use the one that linux makes(not the .lnk!) to launch it). You *need* hardware drivers (if you can run compiz and/or beryl, you're fine) or it'll bail. which is exactly the problem jumpstart is having.

You also need a decent specced machine. on this machine when running under linux it really really tanks (highest is about 10-15fps)

VMware/Virtualisation is an option - but it's framerate is not much better.

Also, Wine Is Not an Emulator :p
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

I know it works. Because it worked before. It had sound problems.
But it DID work on my eeepc.
But some reason I get them error messages.
~Mario
Dudle
on lolpatrol

Post by Dudle »

Good Luck!

Dudle
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Alright, It works now. This little laptop of mine is now the computer I play EUO on all the time.

I had to go back and install an old version of wine to get it to work. I also have to overclock the FBS to get it to run smoothly (The computer was advertised as a 900 Mhz pc, but packaged with 630 Mhz.).

All in all, I'm good. I also have to switch to the old lighting to bump up the FPS.
~Mario
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

What version of Wine are you using? I've got one of the most recent and only since some time it seems to support the 'new' lighting. Some of the earlier versions didn't let me play at all and some of even older worked like charm. I also have to run Wine in 'emulate desktop' mode because otherwise it turns my whole desktop black and even though I can play it's annoying to have to refresh it. Another bug, that I didn't figure out how to solve yet, is that after playing a bit my keyboard remaps and restarting Wine seems to help.
I wish there was an official Linux client :P
Foul beast approaches?!
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

I'm using Wine 1.0 (Yes, I grabbed one of the oldest ones.)

And it would be cool if egg put EUO in a tarball or Debian package. Something that'll run EUO smoothly on Linux.
~Mario
Chedich
on lolpatrol

Post by Chedich »

Preferably a tarball :)
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

I was disappointed to find this thread is not about EUO drinking stories...