12 years of Euotopia

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Luxorious
on lolpatrol

12 years of Euotopia

Post by Luxorious »

Fine, I admit it, I had a couple of beers...

I think we (or me) never express our gratitude enough.
Euotopia is the one game/community I keep lurking, even though I don't play actively right now.
This game has been turning to a better experience, as in the core elements are still there and most of the updates are quality of life (QoL) updates.
I would personally like to thank eggmceye for letting me (and others?) play after all the stupid silly stuff in the past. This game and the community mean so much to me.
The engine is top notch. The atmosphere surrounding the game is out of this world. Too bad my irl buddies don't see it like that.. :oops:
Anyways, I can't write it like I mean it, but thanks egg, damnit thanks man.
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Re: 12 years of Euotopia

Post by Djanno »

Luxorious wrote: The atmosphere surrounding the game is out of this world. Too bad my irl buddies don't see it like that.. :oops:
Hah! Same here, my friends play whatever the new games are.
Luxorious wrote: Anyways, I can't write it like I mean it, but thanks egg, damnit thanks man.
Yeah what he said! ^^^
Djanno :smoke:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

thank you for your kind words !

Nobody needs to thank me for playing. I need to thank everyone for playing. EUO is nothing without people playing it. It's a miracle ppl actually play it now, with all the other good shit around. When it started there was no WoW, no minecraft, no apps, no steam, and there was only a handful of other free mmos (tibia, runescape, arcarra, dransik). Now you can play stuff like path to exile which is a free 2 play diablo 3. or you can pay 15 bux or whatever it is and play minecraft free servers forever, tho they seem to be a bit more childish than this. I dunno, I made this to be the dungeon crawler that I would want to play and I can actually get stuck into playing it too (eg Oct/Nov last year I played a lot of NG and had a lot of fun). I think that is the best way to design a game.

I think the community is only as good as it is since I've personally chilled out, sacked all the triggerhappy gms and just let shit roll along.

anyway it's been my hobby since 1998, and even tho I haven't touched it since Dec I always come back. I'll get enthused soon to wrap up necro crafting and weekly pd revamp.

ps: 13th bday is in april
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

eggmceye wrote:thank you for your kind words !

Nobody needs to thank me for playing. I need to thank everyone for playing. EUO is nothing without people playing it. It's a miracle ppl actually play it now, with all the other good shit around. When it started there was no WoW, no minecraft, no apps, no steam, and there was only a handful of other free mmos (tibia, runescape, arcarra, dransik). Now you can play stuff like path to exile which is a free 2 play diablo 3. or you can pay 15 bux or whatever it is and play minecraft free servers forever, tho they seem to be a bit more childish than this. I dunno, I made this to be the dungeon crawler that I would want to play and I can actually get stuck into playing it too (eg Oct/Nov last year I played a lot of NG and had a lot of fun). I think that is the best way to design a game.

I think the community is only as good as it is since I've personally chilled out, sacked all the triggerhappy gms and just let shit roll along.

anyway it's been my hobby since 1998, and even tho I haven't touched it since Dec I always come back. I'll get enthused soon to wrap up necro crafting and weekly pd revamp.

We DO have to thank you for EUO and all the work you and your contributors have put into building this world. Both the game and the behind-the-scenes development discussions in the forums have been inspirational.

In a world where we're brainwashed into thinking everything should happen now, both the game and the development process are a constant reminder that life requires a lot more patience because it isn't that simple. At life's most exciting level, anything worth accomplishing is a series of quests and subquests, setbacks, adjustments and unpredictable shit. At its most mundane level, you can spend your time becoming a Grandmaster Fisherman or creating things and probably never set foot in a dungeon. Every time you login you have the option to take either way. The inspirational lesson here is that when you wake up every day IRL you can do the same thing... it's all about choices.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I've always loved overhead 2d ultima games since I started out with questron them went to ultima 3, then 2 & 1 and then 4-5.

Sure I played others like gold box, nes games, bard stale, wizardry, might & magic, magic candle, etc.

But I always loved ultima 3-4 best.

When I saw this game it was because I was looking for monsters to turn to pencil and paper d&d. Well I got hooked and it made me reminisce about games like this. I eventual saw dransik and others but euo held a game play that was so diablo like and easy to go back and forth. As crafting, farming, housing, events, holidays, and continual evolutions came (ESP while I was in Missouri with high speed net) it became more addicting.

While I never made more than one map (a clan hall) I've always tinkered with it to see the latest dev.

I played last Friday and enjoyed the new pet commands and cone spell effects. Stupid win 10 computer doesn't do shift control direction attacks though for special. Instead entire screen changes position. So I had to hot key flurry to f1 or f2 and just use shift attack. My gameplay suffered and only got to the midpoint of wyvern town.

Beyond grinding euo has a crafting and farm system that is easy to use. Only other game I actually miss online is aion because of character design.
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

I remember finding my first unique item in Diablo 1, back in the 90's. That felt awesome. It's the feeling I still get when finding an artifact, bosses or other cool stuff in Euotopia.
Glowing artifacts is one heck of an update, it feels awesome when you see one in ground, after hacking some mobs to a bloody pulp. :cool:

- Ninja edit, but I forgot to mention one aspect about online games. Most of the time the developers are isolated from the community. In Euotopia, it's the opposite, and that feels good.

-ps, is it Euotopia or EUO? Euotopia sounds good, though!
:smoke:
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
mugima
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by mugima »

Wow, didn't see this when I posted in the other birthday thread, but as has been said there aren't any words than can describe how unique and amazing EUO is, a one of a kind gem that'll never lose it's shine! Can't wait for you to put in some new stuff again hopefully I'll still have internet access when you do. I just returned after not having played in atleast 5 years I'll say, what with all these mythic items and sigils and vampires and necros running amuck I've had to get my bearings haha. EUO is/was your baby egg, I'd have spent literal months of time out of my life doing something else if it wasn't for the epicness that is, Eggs Ultima Online#Euotopia. Sorry for the back to back posts haha, just feeling nostalgic!
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Happy Birthday!
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Yup it's awesome to see that euo is still up and still being played (and thanks to Egg, still being updated!). It's been 11 years since I made my first appearance in euo and I had some really great time here.

Even though live has moved up a bit and I'm not really playing anymore (and probably that won't change in nearest future), good memories are still alive.

Thanks!
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
mugima
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by mugima »

Yeah I started about 12 years ago, btw it's great to see you Heniek! Dragon/Odin/Mirokou here. Are you still running iag?
Crimson
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Crimson »

We all do appreciate everything you have done, Max. I haven't been active in years but I always check up on news here and there, kind of a grip it's had on me. Started playing, damn, 11 years ago? At my high school's library and home with Pythian (Brandon). It's never failed to be an enjoyable experience, I loved alpha (aka PD back then) and that's where I spent most of my time versus reg. It's a highly developed game and will forever be treasured, once I get a computer again I'll probably start playing once in awhile. Need to get out of Oklahoma and go back home to CA. I'm ashamed at how much of a spaz I was, reading back on my old posts, don't even know what to think of them. Anyways, it's been a long time for me but this has always been one of my all time favorite games. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.
-Crimson-Riddick-Scorch-Dragarth-ShadowBoner-
Never make excuses or feel sorry for yourself in life. Nobody owes you anything. Don't use "I'm a product of my own environment" bull as justification for you not wanting to amount to anything in your life.
treos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by treos »

eggmceye wrote:thank you for your kind words !

hi, long time no see and good shit?

dude...WoW is a joke. i played that for 5 years iirc, got abandoned by my in-game "friends" who left to take on endgame content with their guild mates when i couldn't keep up. i eventually wound up sick of the whole game in general and left my account to die to inactivity then broke the install disc with my own 2 hands as a way of permantly cutting myself off from the game (metaphorically if nothing else), not an easy thing to do as CD-Rom's are tough. had to bend it back and forth like a friggin paperclip. LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

minecraft...ugh, internet and laptop ain't good enough for lag free multiplayer and single player is just lonely in general. so i don't play it all that often but it can be entertaining when in the mood to mess around with it.

other free MMOs...what are these "arcarra" and "dransik" you speak of? never heard of them but if they're F2P with a cash shop or premium then i don't care to know. other big MMOs like everquest and uh...oh, RIFT, are too much like WoW for me to stick for very long at all before i tire of them (good games but...not my thing anymore). smaller browser based MMOs on the other hand tend to be churned out by greedy devs only in it for quick cash via micro-transactions. those have largely killed any and all interest in browser based MMOs for me. damned chinese and korean devs seeking only to make a fast profit. i know not a single person who likes them at all and we all (me and my friends) agree that such devs and their games are pure horse sh*t. :mad:

and so, i occasionally (rarely in nodiatis' case nowadays) return to these smaller games like EUO with smaller, MUCH better communities, than the likes of biggerMMOs such as WoW, everquest, or RIFT. you devs of smaller games like this tend to have money at abit lower priority than bigger MMOs i think. that alone puts you as better in my book. :)