"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Severian
Good morning, Captain.

Re: /ear bosses

Post by Severian »

eggmceye wrote:the 4 minos in DF are random, so no
Foveaux : he could prob give an ear ...
Lilith & Nardulos: thought about it quickly but concluded the last vamp is enough
I think the four chieftains in dead forest always spawn - they were there the last few times i checked.
Also the Apprentice Wizard?
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

The names are random on those minos I think. I wondered about the apprentice wizard too, but he's a wuss compared to the Master. ;)
Djanno :smoke:
Severian
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Severian »

Djanno wrote:The names are random on those minos I think. I wondered about the apprentice wizard too, but he's a wuss compared to the Master. ;)
Ahh. That makes sense I suppose. Perhaps they should have fixed names. Perhaps the three ettin bandits in the hermit's cave as well?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah fixed to the elements maybe.. Firefist, Earthdawn, Windrush, Waterdog

3 stooges come on for those ettins. Maybe a spoof though: Hairy, Burly, & Toes
Thedirtyking
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Thedirtyking »

Was thinking what's good with ears from players or pvp ears from when u kill someone
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Old PvP should be implemented if you can acquire player ears or whatever.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

With the new ears on the amoury I'm relooking at this:
Foveux (or w/e his name is) still doesn't give an ear.

I'm thinking quest bosses should give ears. I'm also wondering if perhaps a way to fix for those who didn't collect them is they can just randomly appear on whatever spot they usually spawn (similar to how say Xile the lich is always where he is). This way if you missed Smyth, Orcosaurus or whatever the first time you'll run into them later (but if you did the quest you're not getting the bonus of recompleting it).

Another option is buying back quests for money: There's 189 quests atm so maybe it isn't such a bad idea (easy revenue but at what price? 10cents, 50cents 1-3$ a quest?)

Others:
Sir Edgar does not give ear (gray again)
2x2 goblin bruiser has no name nor does it give ears (lost jungle dungeon)
2x2 frost ettin at end of lost jungle gives no ears
Apprentice wizard in sylvengard tower gives no ears
Xaphan the balron at the end of River's End has no real text or quest... maybe something to piss him off in text and a quest to add to it as well would be good.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think grey bosses only give the ear when you are on the quest? Maybe not even that - I do remember some quirks with it ...

If it could be done easily I'd be quite happy to have some mechanism, and free I think, to somehow let players redo all the quests for no rewards other than completion. Not sure how to do that though without breaking something ...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'll have to check with a newb. I have quite a few on pd.
Celerion
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Celerion »

Keighn wrote:Xaphan the balron at the end of River's End has no real text or quest.
Annoyed me for years. Always thought, there could be some connection with the Balron at Emerald Sorceresse (Tangled Forrest) or with Balron's Ire.
Would be nice, if such a connection got coded in. ;)

He could also give some more information of the relationship between Balrons and Shadowlords (Faulinei and such).
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

Keighn wrote:Concerning VOT:
I'd also vote for an ear-boss in the temple of the Sky-god.

And another one on the glacial plateau. You know, where you climb through with the grappling hook and there's a hidden area with lots of iron golems and some buildings. Not much there (yet), but I like that place.
(You get there, if you follow the dungeons through, that start way south of the entrance to the sky-god-temple).
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

Master Wizard in Syvenguard Tower dont give ear.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

In addition to Djanno's list there's "Orcosaurus", but people like me who did the quest way earlier can't get at him again.
And someone had "Cousin of Lugnuts" in his list. No idea, where (or when) that one may spawn.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Possible in bayside.
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

Keighn wrote:Possible in bayside.
Yeah, found him ("Cousin of Lugnuts") now. Was right at the well (as you said in-game). Very rare spawn, it seems. Thanks a lot!

MoonGoat thought of a way of getting at the Orcosaurus (again). It includes making a new char. ;) Was a bit of work (and fun!), but worked for us in the end.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Lugnuts is supposedly quite reasonable... I'm not sure about the cousin theough.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Celerion wrote:
Keighn wrote:Possible in bayside.
Yeah, found him ("Cousin of Lugnuts") now. Was right at the well (as you said in-game). Very rare spawn, it seems. Thanks a lot!
finally someone has found him after all these years :aus:
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Keighn wrote: Thou doest needs morest writers as the original text in places is just oh so confusing at times or not thorough enough. Catherine did VOT? I'll check. I'd really have though she'd have better writing skills considering some of her rants and love of Ultima.

Please remember that when VoT was made, we didn't even have the /book function, and there was a fairly hefty text limit on /look or signs. I think I also managed to never send Egg the NPC files for VoT which is why there's so much missing. Fun fact: VoT was the first map where you could use the /hook function :)

I'll do a quick trawl through maps, with the specific level + co-ords & a guess at what was supposed to be there. Of course, no need to put any / all of these in:

Duogon Tower

Level 15 X:8 Y:93 - Shadowlord - part of a metaquest to find gems. Barrier goes down, pickup gem etc. Fun fact - you used to be able to port in and collect the gem fragment, prolly one of the rarest items ingame ;)

Mountain Pass

Level 64 X:69 Y:35 - Headmistress - Daemon or Hellspawn, not overly dangerous
Level 65 X:90 Y:26 - Troll King
Level 66 X:50 Y:54 - Red Dragon or Drake, not overly dangerous

Tangled Forest

Level 124 X:67 Y:28 - Undead Lord - was supposed to be a story about good Undead / bad undead + item return haven't checked if ingame. EDIT - remembered! Egg put this mini-quest in ages ago, probably one of the least done quests. Talk to Aelfric about stolen loot, go to bandit camp + kill to get it. So, totally already in.
Level 126 X:5 Y:89 - Summoned Beastie - shadowcat?
Level 126 X:68 Y:67 - Skeleton Mage - again, quest I never did
Level 127 X:94 Y:2 - Balron
Level 127 X:59 Y:90 - Fire dragon
Level 128 X:23 Y:32 - Hydra
Level 128 X:55 Y:89 - Balron - supposed to be Unique Gem behind it [meta quest I never did, there's one under Desert Tower & couple others]
Level 128 X:65 Y:40 - Shadowlord Already there.

Cassandra's Tower

Level 136 X:103 Y:9 - Some kind of Ogre (weak, starter dungeon)
Level 136 X:128 Y:7 - Some kind of Undead (I think - optional)
Level 137 X:33 Y:42 - Some kind of Troll (weak, starter dungeon)

Valley of the Trolls

From memory - there's supposed to be two / three main quest lines in VoT.

Firstly, the expedition from the University, that tracks the hidden temples, ends up on the plateau with the phoenix, which is entered through its eye. Focused mainly on the hidden locations [sun & moon temples / caves] it's supposed to be tough to work out. The moon clock was supposed to be a puzzle, but we didn't have LUA! Generally this quest requires the player to find the hidden locations that require a grappling hook. If you never grappled through mountains to find entrances, you'd never find this quest. From memory, the McGuffin was supposed to be a Phoenix Egg, and there were supposed to be x2 barriers that required quest items (from the temples) to pass through - but LUA / hooks etc were only just in then, and I never got around to working out the hows. From memory you were supposed to step on a trigger at level 185 X:32 Y:46 for the Moon item and level 185 X:60 Y:29 for the Sun temple. i.e. there was supposed to be a flavor text + item (Moon / Sun blessings) dumped in your inv. when you stood on those tiles with the quest open, that then allowed you to walk through the barriers right at the end.

There's also a few (4-5) camps from the expedition, which finding those was supposed to be the triggers for the University Expedition quest.

Secondly, there's supposed to be the story of a mad wizard finding ancient golem factories (notes from various army personnel) and planning to use them to invade Sosaria. Has lots of note books scattered around of him using the various humanoid monster kin - story is you're supposed to be chasing him / her, but s/he's always one step ahead. Ends up behind the destroyed Castle, has a captive. Basically, if you play through the map straight (i.e. follow the linear paths / caves) you'll end up at this point.

Level 182 X:52 Y:86 - Troll King
Level 183 X:17 Y:11 - Ice Dragon - Moon altar supposed to give Y co-ords to hidden teleporter (the eye) / missing flavor text
Level 183 X:49 Y:11 - Fire Dragon - Sun altar supposed to give X co-ords to hidden teleporter (the eye) / missing flavor text
Level 183 X:16 Y:87 - Phoenix (yep, final boss is supposed to be a phoenix, but no need to make it aggro - fits the story it's being imprisoned. I seem to remember you're supposed to be recovering artifacts / expedition notes, so a Phoenix Egg is probably the quest item that was intended so long ago)
Level 183 X:4 Y:75 - Wizard NPC boss whose been leaving all those notes (with attendant NPC captive)
Level 184 X:23 Y:45 - Undead NPC char who got stuck - intended to be part of Wizard's quest
Level 184 X:57 Y:6 - Wizard's Familiar? Shadowcat? - Part of Wizard's Quest
Level 184 X:66 Y:4 - Friendly NPC captive, tells you to stop Wizard from using golem factories - part of Wizard's quest
Level 184 X:44 Y:84 - Probably a lich - scroll behind it was intended as a stage in the Expedition quest - I think it was the goal (scroll = ancient text)
Level 184 X:56 Y:64 - Silver Serpent - book was intended as a stage in the Expedition quest - location of temples. Location text is fine, just missing a boss. Plus, we didn't have silver serpents then, although if you look at the mini-map, you'll spot something.
Level 185 X:29 Y:89 - Boss Clay Golem - possible kill quest for Wizard's quest [from captive NPC]
Level 186 X:24 Y:17 - Boss Iron Golem -possible kill quest for Wizard's quest [from captive NPC]

Note - there quite a lot of places in Forest / VoT that I have no idea how to access. In particular the Silver Serpent book area. !?!?!

To sum VoT up:

Quest line 1 -- from the University, find the expedition. Find the various abandoned camps throughout the levels to complete. Locations are in order: Level 182 X:49 Y:18, Level 184 X:49 Y:68 and Level 183 X:22 Y:25. I might have missed one. Pretty sure I haven't, but camp #2 might suggest camp #3 doesn't exist. Camp #3 could probably do with a bit more explanation. (i.e. "Two of us escaped the golems and..."). Difficulty - medium

Quest line 2 -- find the Wizard's hide out / plans, talk to the captive NPC in the stocks, kill the two boss golems (clay, iron) and then kill him. Difficulty - medium / hard

Quest line 3 -- find the liches' clue, find the serpent's clue, get the blessing of the Sun (level 185 X:60 Y:29) & Moon (level 185 X:32 Y:46) then go through barriers at level 183 X:13 Y:93 and X:4 Y:90, talk to the Phoenix, get egg. Difficulty - hard. (Also - ideally in the two clock puzzles, stepping on the wrong bits should teleport you to the start, but that's a small nit pick. There's also a Moon & Sun mini temple, no idea what could go in there. Probably a pass to the main temple of each?)

Got those from a quick trawl through memory + MapEd (with only the maps!). Note to self - instead of keeping it in memory, should have emailed Egg this 5+ years ago. :cow:
Last edited by Catherine on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

VoT quests sound awesome. Always wanted to explore that map a bit better
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Wow Catherine that's pretty crazy that there was so much that you meant to include.

I remember when VoT came out, there was a lot of puzzles I've never seen before. Exploring it was incredibly fun. It would be cool to get it upgraded one day.

Thanks for making so many maps that I enjoyed for so many years. VoT and Tangled Forest were def. two of my favorites. :)
IGN: 1