GMs, Gags, Chat Rules

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

CIAassassin
Posting from my ass computer.

GMs, Gags, Chat Rules

Post by CIAassassin »

So as far as I can tell, the old rules are "still in effect, but no longer around"

I was gagged today (first time in 4+ years), without warning and during a being-drunk-and-not-common-event situation. It originated after "Baby" and "Cuteness" got on and I started messing with Beth. Long story short something got said related to homosexuality, which was directed at me, and I said "I love penish in and around my mouth." and "those with a vagina should close their mouths now." then Hen got on reg, gagged me, then signed off to whatever BFE server he was logged onto.

Nothing got more involved then that really, no one was arguing, no one was getting insulted (other then the mild one tossed my way) and no one was getting offended outright. Why is it that there was an insta-gag on someone who has been playing for 10 years, doesn't ever really say anything on global, helps when needed, wasnt insulting anyone directly, had very censored words (seriously though, played xbox live recently?) and was messing with someone known for 6 years now? I really don't get it.

Also as far as I can tell, and others can recollect, nothing more foul than penis or vagina was said in chat by me. Also there was more flagrant language used in global by others. Now, this isn't a "I got gagged and [person] didn't" baw thread. This is simply a "things need to be looked at and given a fair shake" thread.

Most people feel that GM's are pointless these days, I disagree in small order as they can help with stalker/harassment issues immediately as well as keep preachers off global. However, if actions like today are the "common place" then new GM's or new rules are in order. It's a gross overstep on boundaries to gag someone instantly who has been around since damn near the beginning for nothing, then let significantly worse issues slide.

I guess I'm just a little confused on how things are handled these days. I didn't think myself that far out of the loop, but I might be. If so, whos ass do I need to kiss to get a pardon on overstepping undefined boundaries. :whistle:
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Re: GMs, Gags, Chat Rules

Post by Zzapp »

I understand where you are coming from and I can also see where the gag came into play.

Honestly, how many GM's still play? No one is really enforcing rules anymore. Now I am somewhat out of the loop myself, but there is not but only a hand full of them running around majority of the time. You're the first person I hear of being gagged in a long time. I see it as that Hen was somewhat reminding people that there still is rules. Even though that their not very vulgar words, they are still vulgar nonetheless.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh I tend to think GM's are a thing of the past too, for a number of reasons:

i) can't have them on all the time - there aren't enough, and it's a shitty job
ii) they are never consistent, and all rules (if there indeed are any anymore) are always inconsistantly interpreted and enforced - if that was kodiak he would have banned you and have been happy about it, so (and I don't mean this in a condescending way, but) consider yourself lucky
iii) most of the rules they are meant to enforce can be hard coded, or no longer rules
iv) more than anything they are chat monitors - but I've had 10 years to put a swearing filter in - if I put one in for say F* C* and N* then people would still get around it, and besides, I wouldn't be able to swear either, and as an Australian, we all know how important being able to swear is

having said all that, c'mon man, straighten your spine, it was just a gag :o Yes it's embarassing since you're the first one in probably years to get it, but it's hardly the end of the world
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I don't even know if dual logging, multi-accounts, and selling of property is even considered bad these days. I think perhaps the biggest role a GM could play today is if someone somehow got stuck in someones house or area in which they wouldn't restart in town. Seems pretty rare but I guess it could happen. GMs don't have all the cool abilities of DMs but then again it might help if you knew at least a little coding if you want to be a DM and mess with people. Ah those were the days when you'd be walking around and a mob would talk to you or you're surrounded or teleported somewhere.

Now if you were threatening each other with death threats, then my rules used to be (though not always consistent):
1. Private Warning via message
2. Global Warning (mild not the /warn)
3. /warning
4. /gagging
5. /jail (if they kept bothering me/others in local chat/party
6. Keep it up and you get a /ban.

That's a lot of chances. Yeah, I recall watching Kodiak just ban left and right. I recall Raiden doing some heavy handed GMing as well. Today, it might scare off people so who knows. (and then there's that power going to your head thing.... btdt)
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Remember the old days when Sharingan used to be a GM and he would go around around gagging everybody (including himself)?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

and cat would jail someone, feel bad, then jail herself
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Since my name has been said here I would like to clarify few things.

I was on PD all the time during that argument (or discussion), and you said more (including some common curse words) than you quoted here. I logged on reg and gagged you ONLY after other people started complaining about you on global chat. Rules when they were on main EUO page, were pretty simple - swearing on global will get you gagged. While I'm on I try to treat everyone equally (myself included - few times had to gag myself for accidental global curse) and how long you have been around doesn't really matter. If you want to "mess with someone around", then it's fine, but I believe global chat is not for that - other people might not like to read it, like yesterday.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

you know the gag only lasts like 5 mins right? there is no pardon required ... :uhh:

actually there should be a voting system where if 5 ppl vote for then someone can get a gag - can't wait to see that system abused though
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

You would also need more Gm's to even think about doing a system along those lines.

"Alright you guys all vote that we gag him? Alright. Let's just wait a few days till a GM is to get on and we will show that bastard!"

EDIT: Then again I don't know how many active GM's run around these days.
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

eggmceye wrote:you know the gag only lasts like 5 mins right? there is no pardon required ... :uhh:

actually there should be a voting system where if 5 ppl vote for then someone can get a gag - can't wait to see that system abused though
type: /vote eggmceye
get: "Thank you for your concern on this abusiveness, eggmceye now has 1 vote(s) for today."
get: "Thank you for your concern on this abusiveness, eggmceye now has 2 vote(s) for today."
get: "Thank you for your concern on this abusiveness, eggmceye now has 3 vote(s) for today."
get: "Thank you for your concern on this abusiveness, eggmceye now has 4 vote(s) for today."
get: "Thank you for your concern on this issue. eggmceye will now be gagged for the remainder of the day."
get: "This player has already received the max amount of votes for today, thank you for your concern."
*random message*
eggmceye gets: "You've been gagged for your repulsive EggMcFaggot expressions. Good day to you."
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

I've been gagged at least 3 times since Hen has been around again. He doesn't infuriate me like Raiden though, so I don't go too hard on em when he does it. Lulz. :mrgreen:
Egg chopped off his arm to get rid of a rash, but its okay.. it'll grow back! He's a crab. Trist is my Fav TrollFace!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Maybe you shouldn't be running yr mouth off then :geek:
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

I believe you are too kind to Kodiak, egg, when I played with him, he just seemed to threaten and warn people but never actually ban anyone. Though maybe he changed, not sure, he sure as hell jailed me a lot of times. Raiden was a badass, wasn't afraid to ban anyone, I just pretended to like him to get in his good books. :p

I believe GMs have their uses, when the community was in turmoil, very rude community, sure it had uses. Now, the community seems really nice and friendly and it doesn't seem to have much use. Though, there may be a day where an annoying 15 year old comes and starts spouting shit on global and wants to kill everyone and acts all racist.

Yes, we had problems with GMs. Not giving names but I remember a screenshot of a certain GM threatening to ban someone because they didn't agree with their opinion on a unrelated subject. Oh well, shit happens, right?

Tl;dr? GMs have got their uses, it just doesn't seem so at the moment because of the smaller but friendlier community. Though, it'd be hard to find an active GM who plays all the time.
CIAassassin

Post by CIAassassin »

Well seeing as no one actually said anything to me directly about being offended or anything of the sorts. I still feel it was kinda harsh to get insta gagged for very little. It lasts longer than 5 minutes too, 3000 seconds. Yea, lengths of time in the community have everything to do with it too, if you had got on reg or even over global told me to chill out I would have. I was at hooters and getting drunk. Im just saying things are too grey for any kind of consistency and was just asking about it.

Also if memory serves, the only person who even said anything about me was after the gag and was DK... I think.

The pardon thing is that punishment really isnt evenly given, and seems to be given in all or nothing type of situation. Im just saying that a "hey, chill out" woulda been sufficient or even the warn thing. Whatever. Got all my answers I needed.
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

now you're sulking? cmon dude sheesh
CIAassassin

Post by CIAassassin »

nope, just posting what I woulda posted if I had access to the internet for the last few days.
Rikimaru

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Man, I'm usually afk at times longer than a gag or fishing or something. You know, the gag should include magic earplugs so you can't hear others also (they're talking about you and your gag.. and laughing .... :ivy: :honk: :honk: :honk:)
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Bugbo wrote:Remember the old days when Sharingan used to be a GM and he would go around around gagging everybody (including himself)?
Oh... And 12 year old me just started playing, first 5 minutes Kodiak gagged me, then jailed me, I then made a character named "Kodiakisgay", then I got banned.

Me and my "Trailer park trash friends" would get banned, gagged, etc all the time...
Now we all grew up, matured, and have families now.... Weird thinking back, kinda, nostalgic.
~Mario
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

those days were kinda shit in many ways, I don't remember that sorta chaos fondly :(
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

I remember when I started playing when I was 16. I'm 26 now and I cringe at how much of a dick I was (judging by forum posts haha). I came from an mmorpg called tibia (I believe I and my little cronies were the reason for his hatred of this game) and I acted like an uneducated idiot. I brought loads of Swedish people and they started blabbering in Swedish on global.

I somehow escaped a ban, god knows how, though I got threatened many times I believe it was my infamous nature that saved me. :roll: