Subscriptions, again

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Subscriptions, again

Post by Keighn »

Sounds pretty cool. I do think that maybe special TP portals would be cool as well but I'm deviating into ideas 2013 and not subs.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

As I might have let some know I've been trying a few other.. heh "FREE" to play games. Let me state this:

EUO IS KING OF:
1. Space for personal items
2. Areas to Explore at any risk
3. Ability to identify items and spend currency
4. Quite possibly the most versatile with Race/Class combinations.

So while some might whine about Subscriptions to be a Premium EUO member and them having a few novelty items or even a quicker egress or xp bonus; it is certainly not game breaking by any imagination at all. Go play some of these other "FREE TO PLAY" games and you'll see what I mean about severe limitations. Sure gfx and sounds might be pretty cool but that can become old hack when frustration sets in.

So... HAIL TO THE KING BABY!!
DUTCHMAN2
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by DUTCHMAN2 »

[quote="Keighn"]As I might have let some know I've been trying a few other.. heh "FREE" to play games. Let me state this:

EUO IS KING OF:
1. Space for personal items
2. Areas to Explore at any risk
3. Ability to identify items and spend currency
4. Quite possibly the most versatile with Race/Class combinations.

So while some might whine about Subscriptions to be a Premium EUO member and them having a few novelty items or even a quicker egress or xp bonus; it is certainly not game breaking by any imagination at all. Go play some of these other "FREE TO PLAY" games and you'll see what I mean about severe limitations. Sure gfx and sounds might be pretty cool but that can become old hack when frustration sets in.

So... HAIL TO THE KING BABY!!

Thank you for being rational
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

5 bux per month gets you
  • +25% xp
  • free extell portals
  • no merch tokens reqd
    [*]50 addy coins per month to the bot (which of course can be claimed on any char on any server)
  • 1 blackrock coin, what it can be spent on TBA
  • don't get hungry when inside house
  • ANY OTHER SUGGSTIONS?

blood mino + mountain pass are free for everyone
sorry, having trouble keeping my mind made up
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

eggmceye wrote:5 bux per month gets you
  • +25% xp
  • free extell portals
  • no merch tokens reqd
    [*]50 addy coins per month to the bot (which of course can be claimed on any char on any server)
  • 1 blackrock coin, what it can be spent on TBA
  • don't get hungry when inside house
  • ANY OTHER SUGGSTIONS?

blood mino + mountain pass are free for everyone
sorry, having trouble keeping my mind made up
You could honestly do just the exp boost and I'd be content to subscribe each month. Anything else is just extra to sweeten the deal.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

EMO'S DUMB QUESTION OF THE YEAR: (i'm allowed at least 1, right?)

wtf is TBA?
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
KoRnAGAIN
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by KoRnAGAIN »

EmoMage wrote:EMO'S DUMB QUESTION OF THE YEAR: (i'm allowed at least 1, right?)

wtf is TBA?
To Be Announced :fp:

-Colt
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

see? I knew that. I was making sure you did too. :lesson:
eggmceye wrote:

kusofthevalley
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by kusofthevalley »

I was just thinking about bulk discounts when buying addy coins (which I don't think is a terrible idea by the way), when I realised that if you are taking out the 50 addys per month for subscribers, perhaps you could offer them a discount on them instead. Something like 10% would seem extremely reasonable.
Ugrog, EleganceBlade, Zelephereth, Polyphemus, Richard, LordHighgate, Quentin, Valley, ad infinitum
KoRnAGAIN

Post by KoRnAGAIN »

Kanga-man

Honestly I've loved the game for the past 7 1/2 years; I don't mind supporting the game monthly- I'm just super eager to have ANY kind of "premium perk(s)" because to me that's a long way from where EUO used to be. It's grown a lot and I'm glad this idea is a high possibility. I support the setup as-is at the moment. I guess I'm just ready to be a monthly supporter :ymca:

-Colt
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

My thoughts.
  • Dungeons are instanced when you enter them - And no one can enter your instance unless partied up.
  • Gold doesn't drop when killed.
  • No resurrection sickness after killed.
  • 25% XP boost.
  • Discount to all Cash Shoppe Items.
To expand upon all of this, I honestly think that resurrection sickness is a shitty mechanic period. It just adds a pointless walk to a nearby shrine when instead you can just head straight back to action./opinionbear
And I'm not sure about what percentage of discount to put on Cash Shoppe items. I don't know what the current economics of it are.
Also the regular dungeons would work the same way as the heroic portals in the dungeons.

I apologize in advance if I listed something that someone suggested before, these are just the first things that to came to my mind when thinking "What would I pay $5 a month for".
~Mario
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

# option to hide login and from whois inquiry
# 100x100(?) maps for subscriber to do extravagant housing, terraforming and or survival mode (minecraft clone sort of)
Thane
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Thane »

Forgive me if this has been mentioned in this long thread already but, is this per server or per account ? How do these change on NG or Perma Death? Or the weekly ladder map ? And whats an extell portal o.o

all i really want is a sexier dwarf avatar and the ability to sort my inventory by weight/alphabetically/stack size etc :(..
May your beard be ever soaked in ale rather than vomit
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

I am ready to subscribe upon each of the last 3 agreements. You've been fine tuning it to feel comfortable with it, which is important. They've all seemed fair to me. I think you are offering suitable value for a $5 monthly subscription.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

@turtle, that may be true, but if we keep throwing "i wants" down his throat this lovely 5$ a month you speak of will be 20$+ a month.

me, myself, and I (personally speaking) don't like the idea of pay to play. I don't have a problem with paying as I've been playing for almost 9 or a little over 9 years. I love this game. I just think those FEATURES could be purchased per character, but...that's just me.

--i'd rather see the pay-per-month fall through and not happen.
eggmceye wrote:

KoRnAGAIN

Post by KoRnAGAIN »

I love the idea of a monthly subscription because in many ways it "fills" the game out and also makes the game more mainstream (which would be great for egg).
Games offering in-game purchases are the norm now-a-days and euo has that; and I'm glad. As I player, it's nice to have cosmetic features, ie weapon names and such, because not everyone will buy those features and it's a special additional touch to the game experience.

I'm a gamer first and foremost. I've played countless games and my fair share if other online games. So I started thinking about what I as a gamer enjoy in a game and why I would and have paid for things in games.
These are the things I've noticed-----

1- most games offer a "premium" option: I like this idea and have found it doesn't hinder the non-premium player but does add to the experience of the game to the ones who are premium players; not destroy it.

2- EXP boosts are extremely common (though im not saying it should be added): yeah it's true, every MMORPG I've played has had the option of an "elixir" or something of the sort that offers "2x EXP" options for like an hour or so of gameplay. I see it all of the time and I don't consider that "pay to win" because I don't believe you should ever BEAT or WIN an MMORPG... I don't even think you can. It's about community. Which EUO has excelled at before.

3- special content for premium users: this is another thing that I've seen many times. And it's very attractive. Offer up special dungeons that an only be accessed by the premium users. Again; it doesn't effect the players that don't pay but expands the enjoyment for the ones who do. In EUO specific, it's been talked of but something like Bloody Minohalls or special Epic version of dungeons is a fantastic idea.

4- it's needed for any form of concrete income for the devs: I've spent probably $150 to $200 over the 8 years of playing and I don't regret it. But as an upcoming android and C sharp app dev myself, money that can be expected and not just hopes for is comforting and promotes game expansion and further development. Egg has spoken about making EUO a sort of day job and for that to happen he would need a concrete income to encourage that decision; not just a potential false hope or him hoping I die again on PD or that the new guy playing likes the weapon he just found enough to want to name it.

There are many other things I could say but honestly I'm tying this on my iPhone and this is awful :P
I will say though, anyone who is against the entire idea of a "Premium Account" option is ignorant and has failed to see that it will not change the gameplay for the ones who do not pay for the access. As for the argument "it's not fair they get...." Fill that up with anything... EXP boost, addy coins, anything. Why's that argument invalid? Because its completely fair. They paid for it. And if someone feels "oh but I can't commit to a monthly sub or am 10 and have no credit card" oh well then I'm sorry. You can still play the game. And enjoy EUO because its an awesome game.

***last note- I do believe that all premium accounts should NOT include the addy coins bonus because that can be accessed by non premiums too and plus isn't this to make you money egg!? Don't just give it away man- this game is FREE but with options can easily be worth $5 a month. Easily. I do agree with the discount of the addy shop to premium user though. You're still getting money and we get a break. All is well :).

I hope egg reads this and responds! I support the idea of premium accounts.. And I want special dungeons that others can't get to without subscribing too!

EGG BETTER READ THIS BECAUSE I TYPED IT WITH LOVE!!!

-Colt
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

KoRnAGAIN wrote:I love the idea of a monthly subscription because in many ways it "fills" the game.....

EGG BETTER READ THIS BECAUSE I TYPED IT WITH LOVE!!!

-Colt

yeah...that's all i read there. lmao. :heart:
eggmceye wrote:

eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I read all that colt, don't fret - I'm reading everyones posts. Thanks everyone for being patient and saying nice things. Esp colt, keighn.

Obviously the main stalling point is whether there is an xp boost or not. Whether I'm personally happy if there is an xp boost or not really changes with the wind unfortunately. I also agree now not to give AC out with the sub, keep that separate. I would def consider no gold drop on death and maybe even no res sickness, tho less likely, for a sub.

On the other hand, special content I'm still leaning against. If the other perks for the sub were good, then blood minos etc and other fancy instances should be available to everyone. On the subject of content I agree with pretty much everyone that there should be more - ie more maps more than anything. Unfortunately my standards are now very high, and best map maker/editor only shows her face for a week every couple of years (that would be cat). Maybe I can twist Tylers arm to make some more grind loops at which he is expert.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

I dunno if you could do this, but if Subs could pick their 2x xp days for the month that would be a huge bonus for me. The days they fall on for me are consistently bad, and the only time I've been able to utilize them since they've been automated is when I decide I could forgo sleep for a few levels.
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Obviously the main stalling point is whether there is an xp boost or not. Whether I'm personally happy if there is an xp boost or not really changes with the wind unfortunately.
The thing about a boost in exp is whether or not you consider it as giving an advantage to someone. Some will say it does, then some may say that it doesn't. I personally think that it is more of convenience thing more than anything else.

In my opinion, this is the type of game where the best business model is to only sell cosmetic and convenience type things. Putting tons of content behind a paywall is not ideal and "Pay to Win" is generally frowned upon across all games.
~Mario