character creation (possible) overhaul

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

character creation (possible) overhaul

Post by eggmceye »

Just wondering if anyone else is interested in this. I have a couple of gripes with current character creation:

* it feels a bit clumsy choosing skills from Max with all the typing + yes/no (however the upshot is that it is not a bad tute to get people talking to npcs)
* I actually wouldn't mind more options - however another upshot to the current system is that it's simple (at least until you talk to max)

I'm slowly formulating some ideas about it but am interested in what anyone else has to say about it!
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Re: character creation (possible) overhaul

Post by Turtle »

I would propose a higher movement speed for a new character. The most frustrating thing about character creation, for me, is how long it takes to get through newbie island, do naomi's quest, kill all mobs, etc. Even if attack strength was lower, a faster movement speed would be beneficial.

If this isn't the type of feedback you're looking for, please ignore it.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh it wasn't but I actually agree and was thinking about giving all newbies brown pots ... but then, why not just put move speed up (again)
ritari
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by ritari »

my opinion is tutorial island is as simple as it can be... But maybe max could give two skill tomes or more(skills are rather easy to get to 20 30 %) and reading those would bring available skill category on screen and by that selecting the skills. Also some insight in skills would be nice.
1 + 1 = 2
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

I think some more quests that highlight the basic skills would be cool, and that a lot of the popup messages should be npc quests instead. Especially ones like "Ahhh, I can't see in here, take this saw and go make me some torches" or "I need some roasted rat for a recipe but I don't have the time to make it, take this meat cleaver and bring me back some rat meat."

Maybe a npc quest for rogues that has you sneak past a balron and open a chest for someone.

A quest for mages that give them lvl 2 spells and has them find the coordinates of a landmark or kill a monster behind a barrier with magic missile.

A quest for fighters where they are given a shield and spar with fighters (kinda like the monk's dojo)

All things that can be skipped with little consequence, but also offer knowledge and beneficial crafting items and skills in lieu of Xp or gold.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Note, there's some extra room on newbie isle in the town section. That area could always be used for further tutorial explanations like basic crafting, cooking, how to talk on global, the new menus, etc.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I kinda wanna gank newbie island actually, it's boring
Snirf
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Snirf »

If you want to get rid of newbie island all together, IME the best idea would be to give the player two skill tomes, which they would -use- and it would pop open a window or something of the sort to which the player can select which skills they wanted. After selecting the skill, they would be rewarded with the %'s and items given.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It would suck that all the work you put into it just goes to smoke but games evolve so what will be will be.
Last edited by Keighn on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

imo newbie island is alright if you play it once, after that it's boring, which is why it's good that there is an option to skip it.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Remember that guy from 2 years ago called Ronald or McDonald or w/e? Didn't he live on newb isle? Thought he had a house there, might explain the extra space there.
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

Idk, I used to cheese the portal scrolls to get my main there and train his cow. Well all that changed...
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!