Thiefing (hypothetical)

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

CIAassassin
Posting from my ass computer.

Thiefing (hypothetical)

Post by CIAassassin »

I couldn't find a place to put this that fit...

So I bring people into this game from multifacets of life; the latest person is a HUGE RPG fan, played UO and Red Box that sorta thing. He was asking me tonight about stealing (strictly roleplaying; ie he is a rogue, neutral evil) and while I said it was not cool due to the fact that very few people actually roleplay in this game, it got me thinking.

Hypothetical situation:

A clan that is specifically there to be a direct hassle on the populace, ie ambushes in dungeons for ganking and luring in mobs, stealing items dropped on the ground (unsecured trades/showing stuff off), and general PKing.

The way I see it now there are two preventatives in place, a secure trade and NPCs notice when someone picks up items even while stealthed. Now my two cents with that said is that if you don't trade in a secure manner, ie over the trade channel, or infront of an NPC or guard, and someone stealth steals your items you dropped it is fair game. I know a lot of people will gripe on this and flame me, but think about it. There ARE methods in place, and it would really add to the whole fantasy roleplay aspect of the game.

Now he and I were talking about it and we would have rules and would make it possible to get (some) stuff back, either through ransom or straight up selling it on a merchant. We would always be PvP and be criminal, and would be an enemy like other mobs.
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."
Xophias
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Re: Thiefing (hypothetical)

Post by Xophias »

I think it'd be a great idea role playing wise, adding more of a fantasy world effect. Maybe having someone that does it in front of a NPC gets jailed for XXX amount of time depending on the rarity of the item ect. BUT, the problem with this is it would probably piss a lot of people off to the urge of quitting once artis/enches/ +30 gear etc starts to come up missing to the extent of them quitting..which would drop the player base even more which is something that definitely in my opinion don't need to happen and I'm almost certain egg will turn it down due to the fact their goes his community of players and random spurts of money here and there. AGAIN it is a great idea and would be okay if we had something like the old player base online...but, at EUO's current dark stages I have to say it wouldn't be the best feature to look into. Nice brainstorming though ;)
CIAassassin

Post by CIAassassin »

Barring (no fun), or decreased potential to be a % of stealth level, from stealing in front of guards (non-NPCs) would be interesting. If tried and caught instant jailing Equal to 1/2 of current criminal time. Plus finding the person who is doing the trading would be almost nil, New Sosaria is a big place afterall. Also, it would be possible to get some items back from merchant or with ransoms so they wouldn't be gone gone, just not in your immediate possession. Like I said there would be rules to make it fair(ish). I would like to keep egg out of coding as much as possible and have it more player regulated.

Another thought, trade with truesights on. If you know one of the clan is on and monitoring the trade channel and possible hunting for you to steal from, eliminate the element of surprise and gank him before he has a chance. It increases the mental capacity of the player to think creatively and securely. It would also set up a potential trap situation to entice the members into getting ganked in a pseudo-trade kill-the-thief party.

My only concern with this is people stop associating with the player as a whole because one alt is in the clan and is having fun roleplaying (seriously, who didn't want to be a criminal in their childhood, ie cops and robbers.) It is role playing and not every character would be a thief. I just see people getting butt-hurt and whining, but if the players could be mature about it and actually have fun it would be sweet.
Rikimaru

"Oh, you're a lesbian? That's cool, I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body, we should date."
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

Would be a good idea except the average population nowadays is 4-7 people.
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

Last edited by Aerie on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIAassassin

Post by CIAassassin »

I really hate you... seriously I really do. You flame me for posting in the ideas thread for not keeping them "short and sweet," so when I have an idea and I want to brainstorm with the community (like I was doing in the ideas thread) and make a thread, you have to come in here and say that I should post in the ideas thread. How about you just stop posting anything in reply to what I post, unless you actually have something to add to the idea? What the fuck are you even getting at with "Thief (s) = Thieving (p)?" You know what, I don't care. Please don't talk to me, your posts and name make me want to punch babies. :--;:

P.S. seriously everything about your forum description pisses me off, you joined a little over one year ago and have 255 posts (most of which are sidearm moderation, or you not actually adding anything... yes I read ALL of your posts) Your name is weird to say in my head. I have a mental picture that you are a 12 yr old retard who lives in the cupboard under the stairs, you are possibly a ginger and you have step parents that beat you just because you remind them of the fact they are failures at life and can't have children of their own anymore because they are both post-op transgender. I also imagine that from the beatings you have become permanently disfigured and even the dog doesn't want to be around you. Girls are out of the question and when you go home alone, to masturbate while you cry, using your own tears as lube you just wish it would all end.
Last edited by CIAassassin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rikimaru

Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

Last edited by Aerie on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIAassassin

Post by CIAassassin »

Fine I concede the typo, my fucking bad. Don't talk to me anymore.
Rikimaru

Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

Aye aye cap'n.

Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

I like turtles.
Broden
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Broden »

@ Aerie & CIAassassin - No wonder why the plumbing in my keep leaks.

@ Zzapp - Turtles are green
"Dean! Have you been shooting dope into your scrotum?! You can tell me... I'm hip!" - Rusty Venture
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

:owned2:
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.