Book writing competition!!!`

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Book writing competition!!!`

Post by Ozimandias »

awesome, grue submitted his. Though i think he could've used just one post ...
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

As promised:
(crumbling shabby leather journal bound in copper wire)

..... I heard it was from the old man of the eastern shores, but I could be wrong. He said the land existed and I hurridly copied this, though I am quite skeptical of the merits as he's prone to fits of rage and strange behavior that would befit a mad man rather than a scholar of his his repute. Here I record his knowledge word for word be it true or false; may he be then judged accordingly if this is a lie.

"The orb you say.... interesting you'd be interested in that bit." Shrugging he continued, "I only know what the legends say. It is said that this mystical orb can reveal some of the future but the owner, Driakaar, couldn't learn the secrets due to the Ice King's minions in the mountains of Frostfinger. And if you don't know who the Ice King is, then let me tell ya' that bit o' tale."

"You see, the Ice King is a legendary hero who freed the frozen lands from the horrible dominance of the "Dark Wolves," who still may be dewlling in the far northern reaches of the cold wastes." Coughing he took a long draught from his cup of steaming tea. "Ha! Dark Wolves indeed they be but not what you might be thinking. This band of menacing mercenaries had cut a swath of death in the great polar region for decades. They were men, more or less, but of immense strength, cunning, and savagry that all fell who resisted them. Great beasts were commanded by them, some so large that they towered above the trees. Better to accept a quick death from battle than surrender or be captured by them as they ate their prisoners alive."

"Before he was the Ice King, a man of the palest skin had appeared from lord knows where. With a silent look, the army leered at him for three days never advancing or raising arms. Suddenly, they all turned and headed to the frozen wastes, never to be seen again." Stretching, the sage reached for log and tossed it on the fire. "Oh, those were cold days in that place. Far colder than you'll ever likely know. Yes, this strange man of the fairest white skin to be seen had mysteriously forced an entire army of beasts back and no one really ever asked how. Perhaps they didn't care, but I knew there had to be some strange trickery via magic or dark deal."

"After the "Dark Wolves" were banished, the now embraced man was elevated to kingship. To celebrate, the Ice King took a wife named Lady Chesnora. Firmly, the Ice King ruled the mountains of ice and all the lands of the frozen kingdom for many years. Soon, in the years that followed, he and his wife had three children; two sons and a beloved daughter of the fairest white skin that even a king of his complexion would be astonished. Her name was Serena. Peacefully, they all lived in a large crystal castle on Mount Blood. Mount Blood is the tall mountain just to the north of the Frostfinger Mountain range."

"Much like other tales, the evil forces don't stand idly for long and fester like sores that remain untreated. So, one day, while Serena was playing outside a large dark bird swooped from the foggy heights above the castle and snatched the screaming child. Within minutes even her screams could not be heard as it carried her off towards the northwest."

"Seventeen years later a frightening blood red fog appeared around Mount Bood. It was then that the guards and the courts realized this was but a taste of what was to come. Raiding hordes of orcs and goblins plagued the villages as they had before the times of Arcedial. Thundering off the nearby forests came armies of trolls and giants. Contact with the king became impossible as great camps of humanoids infested the mountains, forests, plains, and villages. What few armies were left of the frozen cities were nearly decimated and soon sealing those left alive in fortified desensive positions was all that could be done. This last ditch effort by the people would be their doom as the cold and ice would entomb them forever."

"The rest of the citizenry lived in the castle for four years, helpless to take action. Then, one day, that great bird reappeared in the sky; at least it looked like a bird. When it landed it was a frost white dragon of collosal size. Seated upon its back was the fair princess Serena, dressed in blue. Her face was very pale and her lips were a shade of crimson red. She laughed and bared her teeth. It was then that everyone knew she was no longer the fair princess they knew but a vampire. She warned everyone of the consequences if they didn't surrender and promised to kill them all or worse. No one had seen the king, queen or the other two children and panic set in. With that, she commanded that dragon of hers to leave no prisoners. To the few that remained amidst the panic, the dragon breathed a cone of freezing ice of the deepest cold that left the fools frozen in place. She laughed as she ripped the frozen statues apart drinking their chilled blood. Those she didn't kill she enslaved with some arcane magical control to use as slaves."

"Only a small fraction of the citizens of the castle managed to escape via the secret series of passages to the base of the mountain. Welkor was in command and I was his chief advisor and sage at the time. Yes, I was present during this horrendous onslaught. We fled for our lives losing many more either hunted down by orcs and goblins or caught by clerverly hidden troll holes. We marched and ran for our lives amid the perils of cold and hunger. This small village here is where we finally came to rest to this day. While our village was small we had some fortune smile upon in the form of contact with a caravan that promised to brung us much needed supplies and weaponry. Determined, we eventually raised a small force of our own to defend this village that and bring hope to possibly put a thorn in the side of the evils that invaded our land."

"It wasn't long after our newfound resolve and force of arms that a new structure just to the east of our village was erected. Torick investigated and discovered it was a tower owned by a mage named Zylor Driakaar. Of course we sent out a large force to investigate. During our investigation we learned that he was sent from the south to help us with our problem. He told us to wait for five months while he worked to create a device in which to help rout out the evil forces that opposed us. Next he sent out for the wisest of the men in the village, one of whom just happened to be me."

The old man took another long drink of his cup of tea emptying it before continuing. "I have vowed not to tell what happened in the tower, but I can tell you that the trials were by far the most difficult I had ever faced." He shrugged, "We created an orb of solid iron. That of itself seems rather useless, except this was no ordianry orb of iron. The magics contained were extemely powerful and it was I who was taught how to use it and how to find out about ancient secrets that would aid our village even more. Finished with his masterpiece, Zylor packed up and headed for his home in the deep south."

"With this magical item our forces managed to gain the upper hand in defeating the evil around us. However, our victories were short lived in the long run. Just three months ago, a red wind broke in and stole the orb from us. I have travelled far to find someone to help us to no avail. If you can locate this orb and return it to me, we will reward you with what we can. My old bones just tell me that it is somewhere in the Frostfinger Mountains."
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

well that's it for the competition - I'll be going thru them all and picking the winner shortly! feel free to keep posting stories tho!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Keighn your stories are particularly well written but not particularly relevant even as backstory! if you wrote about euo then you probably would have won the comp. The first story is relevant I guess but is ancient history ... the 2nd story is just something completely unrelated right? I might steal the idea of the iron orb however ...

grue yr story is very good, we need to discuss dates (and month names) however (there is a formula for calculating the current year in euo) - can you advise as to when roughtly it is set? present time or 1000 years ago (assuming estorrath lives forever, which can be presumed) - you have month names - have you invented an euo calendar??

bro's & ozi's stories are relevant and entertaining but need editing a little - ozi needs some grammar fixes and bro's need some tone fixes - I'm not going to let any references to Egg slip thru

magrock, your 2nd person present tense piece reads like a bio of your character, so you should post it on the armoury, otherwise it is not really suitable for a book

I'm pretty pleased with the turn out, so thanks to you all. With out combined efforts I think about 30 books will end up in the game. Any book that is published gets the author $5 credit. If anyone wants editing crit speak up now and I will take notes when I read thru them all and put them in euo format. I probably wont annouce the $10 winner until I've formatted them all - as it's not clear cut right now who should get it.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It was still quite fun to write something as I don't get to practice that medium very much. I was hoping TC would have finished his masterpiece idea of continued land expansion by now. The last story is more akin to that ideal. The third story, Gilderon, could be considered ancient history, or perhaps misleading information. As the game is a creation by you and very old pioneers, I don't want to pull away from your original direction in which you envisioned the game to be and grow. The fiend story was just a bit of practice fun based on a small book entry character that I always found infuriating. Now Alex the pig is purely fun and could pertain to at least some Sosarian peasants aspirations in life. I was actually considering writing many little shorts about Alex the pig, though atm, he seems to borrow a bit from Charlotte's Web.

I have 7-8 stories which I was considering to write, but deemed them far too graphical in nature and tone. They are a bit, perhaps, too much on the religious side as well. I'm a little disappointed that many of the members of the old Brotherhood of Night clan didn't participate as I thorougly enjoyed their poems and stories as well. I've also thoroughly enjoyed reading each of the pieces by the various writers and commend you guys on great creativity and dedication to do this. Much as egg has stated, I also hope you all and others decided to write pieces. And remember, if something doesn't make it, don't give up. Reedit, rewrite, and redo the piece by adding or taking elements away.

I really need to take some time and actually see the NPCs as who they are and do some back reading. If need be I guess I should transcribe all the text to notepad and infer what I can from there. Again, grats to all.
ZUPS!!!!
Grue
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Grue »

eggmceye wrote:grue yr story is very good, we need to discuss dates (and month names) however (there is a formula for calculating the current year in euo) - can you advise as to when roughtly it is set? present time or 1000 years ago (assuming estorrath lives forever, which can be presumed) - you have month names - have you invented an euo calendar??
Actually, the month names were something that just seemed to pop into the head as I came to them. Each one was to represent the months of January - April, inclusive. While I hadn't made up a calendar, per se, I guess you could say I was working toward one; my next story includes three additional months, with names different than those used in the first one. With EUO being your creation, I figured the month names would be the things that would get creative editing before you used it ( if you used it ), since I couldn't remember if you had used any type of calendar references before.

In terms of a time line, you're pretty close . . . I was envisioning this having happened about 700 to 800 years in the past from the current EUO date, with the final comments having been put on there 300 years after finding it, but with that date not necessarily being equal to the current date. As it was mapped out in my head, story written in 1032, found in 1232, with the final comments put on there in 1532. And, like any text book / reference guide, it's kept around because it's still relevant, regardless of age.

I appreciate the compliments on my virgin attempt; rest assured, you haven't seen the last of Günter. :cool:
If you want to discuss any of the dating further, just let me know.
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overrides the fear of death. - Speed Freak Motto "
"The Long Run - Daniel Keys Moran"
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Should make a new book thread with more detailed guidelines - things like not making references to egg, or be as revelevant to EUO characters and places as possible, etc.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Sometimes stories could allude to things to come as the game is always growing. If stories are only written according to playerbase and the people in towns I think the game could end up quite drull. For instance, not including monster specials, all of Nordhaven has a population of roughly 24 people. This includes Thieves Guild, and all of Nord Dungeon. That's really hardly even a village and most of the NPCs are unamed. I still think the child merchant by the well should be referred to as Sach (acronym of his name). Going through each and every NPCs dialogue is going to take me a long time. I don't even want to think of landmarks and signs with messages on them.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh this is true, and writing outside the 'relevance' box that I referred to definitely allows room for expanding the world - but I kinda think there is enough blanks at present to fill in w/o creating more

I'd like to see some link to what exists in the gameworld already- eg in your story about the clone mage, it just had to mention Nord to be relevant, and if you didn't mention Nord, the story would have been not linkable, unless you consider the idea of cloning as the link

With the story of the orb and the dark wolves and frost finger mountain, there is no link at all to anything in euo. I guess you could use it as a basis for another maeondir like continent

-----------------------

I'm currently thinking about writing a thesis about euo, ultima, religion ... let me get my thoughts togheter, but in summary

in ultima, I'm going to make a huge extrapolation:
- Lord british->god
- the avatar->christ

in euo
- the avatar doesn't exist in euo other than in a reference in snowy island (which I've often considered removing)
- lord eggleton is meant to be a parody of lord british - the ingame representation (npc or otherwise) of the producer who sets himself as king of the ingame realm - however in EUO lord eggleton has never actually made an appearance except in references, and according to back story, LE is missing in the underworld, possibly stuck with LB in the green room at the bottom of dungeon doom - with the idea that LE is the avatar in the canon ultima! this is stated clearly in 'history of new sosaria'
- (as an aside, as far as storyline goes, the character eggmceye in euo is just an admin, and was never meant to be some LE or even a player. further, I consider lord eggleton to be a npc that's missing)
- so in my story, the Elder Ultimarian Overlords religion is meant to be a revision of the Ultimarian Temple religion - The Ultimarian Temple references canon Ultima and Elder Ultimarian overlords is the splinter sect that of course refernces euo the game
- I think the basic premise of the Elder Ultimarian Overlords religion is that the infact Lord Eggleton is a godlike figure and that 'the Avatar' is a christ like figure
- and of course you can't have a religion w/o having atheist (dis)belief - so in EUO you could have some atheist conspiracy (or cult) that suggests Lord Eggleton and the Avatar never actually existed and that they are either fabrications or just figments of the collective unconcious
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Those ideas are pretty deep, especially with the iconoclast-like atheist sect of believers (iconoclasts btw were those that disregarded the old catholic church's reverence of saints and materialistic things, in real life. Somewhat similar, only in this case it's atheists disregarded the reverence of LE.)

It's very contrary to the image i had in mind, which was that gods and the like would be actual interactive entities in the world of euo - think of Lord Vivic's role in Morrowind, which shocked me the first time i saw it, cuz I wasn't familiar with tes lore outside of morrowind, and was like "HOLY SHIT! THERE'S THE GOD EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT!"

Then again, i guess the atheists could attempt disproving those interactive entities as impostors and whatnot, questioning the religion/s of new sossaria's competence as well as their claimed monopoly on truth and the unexplainable.

Just suggestions, and i still like your concepts on euo, too.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Yeh I definitely have no interest in having physical deities in euo, like vivec in morrowind. At most, you could pick from a hard coded list of gods to follow, nethack style, that gave you a buff when you medded their altar - this most definitely is not happening anytime soon. Thinking abt it now, it would be more interesting if religious groups were like clans whereby the group basically invents their god (this is the athiest/student of Jung in me talking now) and makes up their own name, but I'm not really interested in doing this either.

The closer euo mirrors the real world, the less the engine has to support actual divine intervention (ie none :P )

As much as I like religions/gods in rpgs, I just kinda have a problem with suddenly inventing a bunch of religions and letting you pick from them as a player-character.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Ah, i understand. So, for the time being atleast, the religious philosophies in euo are more of an open concept, rather than something that greatly affects the game, i take it. That's cool.
And ya, i love concepts of religion in fantasy worlds like rpgs, even though irl i try and stay away from such (twelve years of religious schooling will do that to anybody, i tell ya!).

But the creation myth / religious explanation stories are still valid, or atleast useful in terms of readable stuff, rite? I'm talking of course of the half orc stories and whatnot i created as well as your literary takes on multiple religions of euo. Just saying, if further down the road you think of having some kind of option in regards to that, those books and whatnot could be some kind of template.

Also, I didn't really picture the player character picking a religion from the beginning to stick with, if that's what you believed it'd be like. I just imagined he or she'd just stumble upon (or seek out) a church/temple on the world map and join it like any other faction, should they choose. As well as be able to leave that "faith" whenever they felt like it.

Then again, clans sorta fulfill that role.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Almost forgot I was sitting on this. It's the edited/revised volume five of the Gabitha story. The conclusion will actually be carried into a full 6th volume, along with the "Afterword" by Frederick. I haven't really written much on the 6th volume, but I'll prolly have it ready before tomorrow. You did say to post any edits of our stories to post asap, so i hope this (and the new vol 6) isn't too late.
“The Tale of Three Sides” Volume Five
by Frederick, a scholar at the University of Tanelorne

She dug through the closet, candle in hand, searching for the discarded scrolls box. It contained the ones that were cursed via human error.

There were cursed Identify All scrolls of spell – they wouldn't do.

There were cursed Mark and cursed Recall scroll of spell – they wouldn't do, either.

Finally! She had found what she was looking for. It was a cursed Uncurse scroll of spell. As she wanted, this scroll would have the opposite effect; that is, it would actually curse an object that was already pure.

She then went into the kitchen. She looked all over the counter for food to curse. She was planning to end it all with cursed food. She wanted revenge upon her wicked father, who influenced many higher-ups at the University.

She went into the pantry, where her loving mother kept the ingredients she used to cook meals. There she found the main ingredients for the dish her mother cooked for her father every morning – Mandrake Root Pie. Five mandrake roots and some cooking flour is all it needed to be made. And just one bad root was all it needed to cause one to choke to death – that is, one cursed mandrake root.

Gabitha set one of the roots on the table and quietly chanted the words on the the cursed Uncurse scroll. After she whispered it, the root was “zapped” with a dark red beam of light (or perhaps, a distorted beam of no light). The root gleamed black, and within seconds the glowing blackness stopped, and it looked normal again.

She put the tainted root into the shelf where her mother would prepare the next morning meal. Gabitha then quietly went back to bed, as hard as it may haven been for her to sleep.

Her father always left for work at the University early before bright daybreak. He would take his pie the mother baked for him to work as he always did. Perhaps he would share it with some of the corrupted higher-ups. Time would proffer the justice.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Sorry about the broken promise of the due date, but here is the "official" ending to Tale of Three Sides, in the 6th Volume. Also, this volume is 35 words OVER the usual 400 or under, at 435 words. That DOES include title, as I was too lazy to do the damn math.
“The Tale of Three Sides” Volume Six
by Frederick, a scholar at the University of Tanelorne

That morning Gabitha walked over to the edge of Montor West, where Gortcho's house was located. School was out for this day. She decided (for the moment of justice, at least) to spend some time with him to keep her mind and heart at peace.

Played around and talked for the longest they had ever. When they got tired, Gabitha returned to her house for a bit.

Once she got in, to her surprise, the box carrying the mandrake root pie was still there on the kitchen counter. Did her father just forget it? Disappointed, she was about to throw it away when she got the urge to open it up. Once again in surprise, only one piece was cut out missing. Perhaps her father only took one piece to work with him for whatever reasons unbeknownst to her. Either way, Gabitha headed to the living room.

And there she lay, in front of surprised Gabitha. The mother was lying there, lifeless across the brown rug, with the brown mandrake root pie crust scrambled across her chin and mouth area. There was even some slobber – sign of a struggle for air – that stretched from her bottom lip. It was the mother who had died of the asphyxiation from the cursed pie.

The papers reported the next day, “GABITHA, HAPPILY RAISED CHILD, INSANELY MURDERED MOTHER WITH CURSED PIE.”

AFTERWORD:

The events told are believed to be true, as well as the people. Though the dialogues may hold certain inaccuracies (as well as some little details here and there), there are confirmed historical documents that have been found in old (and actual) literary records and censuses. Records from investigations much later in that girl's life did reveal that the murder was aimed towards the father.

To this day, with proper permissions, one could access the olden documents and letters this girl once held, as well as written accounts, in the deep historical records section of the Tanelorne University's underground libraries.

But why, one may ask, would a scholar such as I want to expose Montor's old wounds and construct a story from them? Surely, the tensions between East and West are almost no longer there. And after all, the University barely now rules anything, let alone harms the East and West.

The reason being is simple. How can a town move forward gracefully without recognizing the ungraceful steps we've taken? After all, we need to learn from our past mistakes in order to better perfect our future.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I know I'm a dinosaur and fool for using notepad but I just found this tool which is one amongst many others online. This one is more to my liking though: Word Count Tool
ZUPS!!!!
Stinger
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Stinger »

Here's a slightly revised version of my story. Not sure if this is what you wanted, Egg. : /

Alchemist's Assistant
One day while I was looking for work in Mon Ferrato, the alchemist offered to pay me for testing some new potions he had concocted. I accepted the offer and entered his shop.

He handed me a heavy potion that seemed to be composed of liquid metal. I quaffed it and, suddenly, I felt very hungry. It was only after I had eaten my helm and half of my heater shield that I realized something was wrong. Strangely, my skin seemed to be metallic and my mouth to be on top of my head. I tried to speak but I couldn't, and when I moved, I found my body very dense. I thoughtfully chewed another bite of my shield as I tried to figure out what it all meant. Before I could, however, my body returned to normal.

"Well, that one didn't work," he muttered as he handed me a fiery orange potion.

I tried to quaff it, but it was so hot I couldn't finish it. My mouth, throat, and guts seemed to be on fire, and flames burst from my mouth. I spat a fireball at the brick wall of the shop, and I quickly drank the next potion to quench the flames.

I was immediately teleported and soon found myself high in the air, plummeting toward an infinite sea below me. I picked up speed as the water got closer and closer. I braced for impact, but just before I hit the water, I was teleported back into the shop. Apparently, the potion had worn off.

"Another failure!" he complained. "Here, try this one."

Badly shaken, I mechanically swallowed the khaki-colored potion he handed me.
Suddenly, I felt furious.

"How dare you force your accursed potions on me!!" I roared. "Well, I won't be your fool any longer!"

He tried to offer me the last potion. I struck it from his hand and stormed out of the shop, shoving aside the spectators that had gathered to watch the fun.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I've stared the epic task of editing the books. I bet there are about 10000 words to get thru. I will annouce books that will be used + grand winner after editing is done, which might take a while. The only book sofar used in the game , live, right now, is necromancer by ozi, because I wanted all the Nestor books to have text.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

following books are basically edited - but there are still a few more to go

Common Cultural Stereotypes of New Sosaria 2
The Stolen Eye 3
I, Golem part 1 5
I, Golem part 2 6
Of Trolls and Men 7
Ode To A Naughty Mage 8
Excerpts taken from the journal of Günter the Lost, Part I 9
Excerpts taken from the journal of Günter the Lost, Part II 10
Excerpts taken from the journal of Günter the Lost, Part III 11
Brownthorne the Wickedly Mad – part 1 13
Brownthorne the Wickedly Mad – part 2 14
Brownthorne the Wickedly Mad – part 3 15
The Master of Clones 16
Those Abandoned Children 18
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Ouch. I bet you didn't think it would be this much work after the competition.

Keep going! :rebel:
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
IT IS S
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by IT IS S »

I have some naggy points:
* the things I've read here (and in many RPG's) don't properly distinguish between "history books" and "primary sources". This makes (to me) a very unbelievable mix of these two.
* What is the history of (New) Sosaria? Before the year 0? Who has written it? Who is writing it?
* What year is it now? (How many days in a year?)
One of the most famous Early Minotaur writings preserved is a piece of a cookbook. The foreword is a part that is often parodied.

The humankind is a strange bunch. Sometimes strolling loudly, sometimes crawling stealthily. While often as meek as cows, they occasionally seem to be as cunning as a lich. Mostly easy prey, they are sometimes the predator!
It cannot be my goal to provide a complete guide on their behavior. It is just not my field of expertise. I am known for my many travels, but the humankind is something still elusive to me. Yet, I have grown a fondness of them I wish to share.
It is not my intention to provide a complete work on the preparation of humans. Notably the luring and entrapment have been left out.
However I hope to provide culinary inspiration to all; from the blood-thirsty adventurer in the deserts, to the refined connoisseur staying in Our Beloved Land.
Therefore the first chapter will be dedicated to slaughtering, to facilitate the beginning amateurs, and as technical reference to the established cooks.
I have chosen to use the Minotaur terminology from "Hailhoof's Anatomy of Small Creatures", but have added a table with Latin translations in appendix B. This way I hope everyone will enjoy reading it, and feel motivated to be creative.

Hippo Kratos, To Serve Man, 4, (Translation by L. Hardin 104)

While the gruesome nature of this excerpt might offend us, this early piece of Minotaur literature shows that there was indeed contact between humans and minotaurs before the Great Pervasion.
Most strikingly however is the mention of Latin at the end.
It is still debated whether this language had found its way to the minotaurs via humans or shadowkin. As a side note the aforementioned anatomy book has up to date never been recovered.
The Forumnists believe any issue you have in life can be helped by "querying the Forum". They say that way you can even come in contact with Egg, who created the world and still governs all the world. Every injustice you encounter should be "reported" to the Forum. If you don't understand something they will chant: "RTFM, RTFM, RTFM", meaning you have to direct your look at a higher power to understand the world. And if you don't know what to do, they will say: "SHIFT+Q, solves all your problems". They use an extensive terminology to treat the world and their faith. Therefore there is a steep learning curve to become Forumnist, although most young people seem to grow up with their terminology these days. They have no official governing organ, so there isn't an official registration or criterium. The Forumnists believe that the only thing you have to do is submitting yourself to the higher power once to be acknowledged (called "registering"). They also believe there is an avatar (or "character") of Egg, thus he can in some cases be addressed as if he were the Forum.
They will ostensibly deny that they have a religion. Strangely there are only Forumnists among adventurers, and most adventurers are Forumnist. Forumnists are known to be intolerant to non-forumnists, but don't resort to violence.
(^ this is exactly the kind of text I would find 'out of character', should I have found it in the game)
(V this is what I would like to see in the game)
Here is an excerpt from their bible:
Why do I need to register at all?
You may not have to, it is up to the administrator of the board as to whether you need to register in order to post messages. However; registration will give you access to additional features not available to guest users such as definable avatar images, private messaging, emailing of fellow users, usergroup subscription, etc. It only takes a few moments to register so it is recommended you do so.

How do I post a topic in a forum?
To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can vote in polls, etc.
There is no cheesing that is not skill