Tournament Time

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Revan
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Re: Tournament Time

Post by Revan »

To answer the rest of your question; no, apparently he can't read.
goemon: "Anyone wanna give me enchanted wood?"
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think instead of bracket style, matches should be round robin - ie everyone in the category fights everyone else. The tournament goes for 2-3 weeks (the time will be fixed however once the tourney gets underway and there will be no extensions). You get 2 points for winning a fight, 1 for a loss, and the player with the most points at the end of the series wins that division. If you don't get around to fighting everyone then that is your loss, as you will get points even for losing.

You only 'fight' each other once - where fight means best of 3 actual battles, and after that you both must submit an agreed result of who won the fight.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

That's an improvement on the last time there was a round robin tournament... without the point system people would avoid fights against classes they thought was more difficult and wait til those players got eliminated... thanks for the extension egg.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Bk
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bk »

I know pets aren't allowed for the competitors, but can we go ahead and agree on no pets for spectators too?
Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Raiden »

The problem with round robin is when there is a larger list of competitors it takes an exponentially longer time to complete that division. Automation and score calculation via armoury would be a major help
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

True that, so maybe there should be a max of 8 or 10 per division?? I have no idea really how many people want to compete.

But if the tournament goes for a month that is a fair amount of time - too long actually, it will probably go stale - we'll chat about it.
Grodst

Post by Grodst »

Round Robin still sounds best. Too much dodging of fights if it's not mandatory to face everyone.
Raiden's right about it being a pain to organize it, but what's a tourney without a couple weeks of headaches?
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

It won't be a pain as it will be all automated via armoury. There will be 2 weeks starting Aug 1 to get your matches completed. If you haven't played everyone in that 2 weeks that is your problem, not everyone elses. Results will be immediately available - once match submissions are disabled at midnight the 15th Aug, server time.
Grodst

Post by Grodst »

Great solution!
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

Got an idea for how to collect entrance fees. Set up merchants that sell "invitations" according to class (newbie, featherweight, light, etc). Each merchant only sells for that class, so all the money for that class will be collected from its corresponding merchant. Combatants have to show their "invitations" (which could be a scroll tile that simply says "*whatever* class invitation") before a match. This way everyone also gets a kinda neat little memento that says "Yeah, I fought in the 2009 tournament. I WAS THERE, MAN."
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

And make them soulbound to that character.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Might want to change:

3.) ONLY HEALING (YELLOW) AND RESTORATION (BLUE) POTIONS ARE ALLOWED.

6.) NO KHAKI POTIONS!

to:

3.) ONLY HEALING (YELLOW) AND RESTORATION (BLUE) POTIONS ARE ALLOWED.

6.) NO KHAKI POTIONS! & NO Brown, Purple, White, Black, Orange, or Green Potions either.

I've been getting asked about this lately.
ZUPS!!!!
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

The potions rules are pretty clear, only yellow or blue- period. The no khaki line is reiteration, because for some odd reason the last few tourneys people assumed that khakis could be used; so its just there for posterity.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

what if we have more than one alt that we want to register can we do that cause i think somebody said something about the tourny being one division at a time
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

one alt per division
all fights take place between aug 1 and aug 15
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

ok well i got another question i jus wanna stay in the featherweight division so i can get to lvl 70 then i have to stop or i go into the next division and i wont last i was wondering if i can still get exp jus when i get a lvl just if i dont take that lvl can i still be in the featherweight division?
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

You can stay in x division as long as you do not pass the level boundary- which means you can keep gaining experience; as long as you don't spend the levels you gain.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Yeh this sounds right, and on the day of your fight, if you are overweight then you will be disqualified.
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

well lord egg i was wonderin when you were gettin back on so i can pay my way in the tourny if that was a one time thing....i guess i wont be in the tourny LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
Raiden

Post by Raiden »

As a matter of fairness- I'm going to say a mage (or any multiclass player) should only be allowed to use VM three times, as is the same for fighters and rogues with healing potions.
Last edited by Raiden on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.