EUO Moon Phase Calculator

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Re: EUO Moon Phase Calculator

Post by DrRude »

laz wrote:Yeah, it looks really sweet. And nice work with the calculator, looks quite clean :)
Thanks for the font's name.
Thanks, glad ya like it.
Bk
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Re: EUO's first MoonDial (was EUO Moon Phase Calculator)

Post by Bk »

Really nice. It's clean and looks really good. It was a little awkward to me though that it went from right to left, and laying it out in 2 deminsions (with the full moon in the middle) didn't help for me to instantly connect the fact that if you started at the left of the full moon, it (once getting to the far left) looped back around to the right side, like a 3 deminsional ring, but you don't even really need to be seeing it as a circular model of the phase, it's as simple as looking above or below the current moon phase... :P

I'll check it out for you and let you know if I find anything wrong, but looks good to me.

And thanks for the credit :cool:
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Looks nice, but it's backwards. EUO moon phases run the opposite of real world ones. The icon that represents a realworld first quarter moon (waxing) is the last quarter (waning) in EUO. Or at least that was the case last time I paid attention to moon phases; I find it hard to believe you would have missed that with all the analysis you've been doing, but maybe you did.

And it's been said before, but the offsets I believe are mostly due to server resets (due to errors, or regularly scheduled maintenance?); I don't think DMs are capricously resetting time just to mess with you.
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Should I respond every place this has been posted? Look nice, Rude, but I think it runs backwards. Moon phases should be read Left to Right, not Right to Left. Opposite of the real world.
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Gulnar wrote:Should I respond every place this has been posted? Look nice, Rude, but I think it runs backwards. Moon phases should be read Left to Right, not Right to Left. Opposite of the real world.
I hear ya on the whole left to right thing and might end up rearranging the moon phases but I designed it that way for the following reasons:

1) Within the tilesets used by the EUO client, the Moon Phases are in that exact order with the exception of the placement of the New Moon.

2) I've been seeing evidence that EUO Lunar Cycles and Real World Lunar Cycles don't work the same way even though they share the same basic phases. Within a 24-48 hour period I've seen it shift from Left to Right to Right to Left. Even stranger, with these shifts time increments beneath have remained correct. Without access to the source code that controls the moon, I'll just have to log time/date/phase anytime I'm playing.

Thanks for the feedback and checkin it out.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Gulnar wrote:Looks nice, but it's backwards. EUO moon phases run the opposite of real world ones. The icon that represents a realworld first quarter moon (waxing) is the last quarter (waning) in EUO. Or at least that was the case last time I paid attention to moon phases; I find it hard to believe you would have missed that with all the analysis you've been doing, but maybe you did.

And it's been said before, but the offsets I believe are mostly due to server resets (due to errors, or regularly scheduled maintenance?); I don't think DMs are capricously resetting time just to mess with you.

I hear ya on the whole left to right thing and might end up rearranging the moon phases but I designed it that way for the following reasons:

1) Within the tilesets used by the EUO client, the Moon Phases are in that exact order with the exception of the placement of the New Moon.

2) I've been seeing evidence that EUO Lunar Cycles and Real World Lunar Cycles don't work the same way even though they share the same basic phases. Within a 24-48 hour period I've seen it shift from Left to Right to Right to Left. Even stranger, with these shifts time increments beneath have remained correct. Without access to the source code that controls the moon, I'll just have to log time/date/phase anytime I'm playing.

Thanks for the feedback and checkin it out.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

merged threads
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

The MoonDial layout was based on the way the Lunar phases are presented at the top of the Special.png file, an actual tileset used by the EUO client software. The only thing I did was shift the New Moon to the right side solely in an attempt to show the 3 hour countdown from New Moon to Full Moon. Now, based on Gulnar's input and my noticing some things with the phases that were the opposite of what I saw initially, I've gone back to trying to note Moon phases and times to confirm which way the cycles work.
special.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Attention all Lycanthrops and Werewolves...

Below is a revised version of the Moon Dial. I plan to submit it for possible inclusion in the Wiki plus a PDF that players can download and print out. All comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Rude's-Moondial-PDF-export.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Good job DrRude, I'm sure noob werewolves will get use out of it. :)
IGN: 1
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

That's pretty sweet. Nice job. This community needs people like you.
~Mario