Enchanting Observations

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Enchanting Observations

Post by L1ndaP »

I am probably one of the few trying to raise enchanting and wanted to mention some of the problems dealing with it:

Getting to 40-50 was pretty easy with all the stuff I already had, like torches, logs, cheese, and horns etc. , but...

1. ORBS, you don't get enough in quanity, takes weeks to get much to work with, and rogues can raid the boxes easier than most.

2. WET CLAY, you get 2-4 drops out of a hundred golems, not good odds there either.

3. GLOWING EMBERS, worse than the wet clay. I sharded dragons for 4 hours and got 2, now that I can kill Fire Dragons. If I get 2 in 4 hours and at my level, it takes 20 to go one tenth, imagine how many hours to just go 1%, then imagine again how many you will need in the higher levels.

4. HYDRA FANGS, not quite as bad, but still not plentiful enough to be useful.

5. CHARGED SHARDS, The 4 hours that I was sharding, I got about 60 Bright Blue (which is what I need for a long time) and it only gained me .3% in training. Bright and Brilliant Reds don't do me much good, I don't have enough of the other ingredient drops for those to be useful.

Suggestions: Increase the drops some, and have certain monsters be shard specific, like dragons be bright and brilliant, shadow creatures-brilliant. Lower monsters fit the lesser shards.

I still get so many Dull and Dim Shards from dragons that I will never use, and no one wants, because the lowest of the low can shard for those.

I know I don't have to do enchanting, but I want to learn all the skills that I can, I have 16 that I have GM status on and this one is taking the longest.

Just wanted at most to post my observations for any tweaking that might be able to be done to improve the training. Still going to keep going, on what I can, though.

I welcome others to post their suggestions or observations, also. I love this game with all the craftable skills, and want to see any improvements that can make it even better.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

I've posted on this before (pretty much the same issues). I was lucky enough to have gotten enchanting to 100 before the current system went in, so it hadn't really affected me, but I was wondered if anybody would bother raising enchant with the new system.

Good to know somebody is doing it.

Yeah, sharding needs to be refined. I'm guessing you can't use dulls/dims anymore, so you've probably got thousands of them.

Lack of ingredients for training higher level enchants is also a serious issue (can you do healing wards yet? ingredient wise, that's the last thing that doesn't take super rare stuff).

I think the simplest solution to shard/ingredients issues would be to take the skill gain cap off of enchanting (so you can keep gaining skill even after you've got more than 20% over the minimum). Making enchanted torches, or whatever at 95% enchant would still give skill increase. Old style enchanting didn't have a skill gain cap.
kaiser's Tranos: The rulers of the aceint times lands, the most powerfull and feared carnovours, or whore they.
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

Yes, I am doing the healing wards, now, but the Bright Blue Shards is more the problem, when you shard for 4 hours and only get 50 or 60, they don't go far.

When I get to 78, I have no choice but to go to the gold rings, more Bright Blues, though. I have lots of nuggets collected over the past year. Brilliant Blue Shards are going to be even harder to come by, when I do taming wands, hearts, I have quite a few.

Bright and Brilliant Red Shards are also about worthless, without the other ingredients, later on.

You can get shards, but its the hours that it takes to get the ones you want, and yes I have probably thousands of the dulls and dims. Shards should be monster specific.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
eggmceye
hello

Re: Enchanting Observations

Post by eggmceye »

proposed enchanting changes

* make ench skill gain 30x faster (but max skill gain is 1 point however)
* add non soulbound sextant to drops (uncommon)
* add orb to drops (uncommon)
* make ember, fang, clay more common (but still uncommon)
* fix shard drops for dragons etc, they should be dropping bright shards
* add mega yellow pot to healing ward ingredient list

The basic theory is that ench is fast to build, providing you have the ingredients. So I guess finding the ingredients limits the pace at which you gain skill in ench.

Regarding 30x faster, it stilll takes about 1600 enchants to get to 100.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bk
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bk »

Seeing how there are still polypile wands in the game egg, why not be able to polypile shards into a brighter shard?

For example:

~Dull x 3 = Dim
~Dim x 2 + Dull x 1 = Bright
~Bright x 2 + Dim x 1 = Brilliant

This is using dull, dim and bright of the same color. Or make a neutral Purple Gem that can be used in ANY recipe, but makes 75% less likely to work, This could be made by polypiling red and blue shards, if one were to run low, which wouldn't happend often.. but would make for great decor inside houses :D

EDIT:...
Going Back and doing the Math:
||Out of 100 Dull shards:
||~You could make 33 Dulls
||~Or you could make 28 Dims and 16 Dulls WHICH could make 14 Bright's, leaving 2 Dulls
||~Or you could make 24 Dims and 28 Dulls WHICH could make 12 Brights, and enough dulls to make 5 DIms and 1 dull Left, THEN make 5 Brilliants, and all you'd have to do is find two more dulls to make one more brilliant.

||Out of 300 Dull Shards:
||~100 Dims
||~Or, 84 Dims and 48 Dulls WHICH make 42 Brights, leaving 6 Dulls --> End product 42 Brights, 2 Dims.
||~Or, 72 Dims and 84 Dulls WHICH make 36 Brights, leaving 48 Dulls --> 36 Brights & 16 Dims --> 32 Brilliant & 4 Brights left

:dancecow: This would help get rid of some of the lower grade shards, and then ppl could use the brighter ones, to get up skill.

Hope my math's correct, but you get the picture, knocks out alot of the duller shards, and replaces with minimal brighter shards ^.^
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

Thanks, Egg, I really appreciate you adjusting the enchanting issue, can't wait to see the changes implemented. I am at 79 at the moment, will see how it goes then.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

Love the ideas for the changes in enchanting. It will definitely make the skill more trainable and encourage players that want to train it to go hunt and collect ingredients without needing to collect ungodly amounts of ingredients.