misc updates thread

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Been working on ships and all the problems with the continent map edges. I want ships done for next patch. I'm scrapping y-axis wrapping - even tho ultima 5 has it, it defies physics and is retarded.

Sep 11
* scrapped y-axis map wrap for continents
* fixed party continent east-west wrapping bugs
* fixed immobile mobs chasing players across levels
* fixed maeondir walk off edge map bounce
* fixed ranged attacks not working across map seam

Sep 10
* started damaging ships
* started rewriting can_see funcs & AI so that they work on continent seams, though I have mobs chasing and attacking players across the seams already

Sep 9
* did some work on ships, fixed alot of bugs, got ships attacking working properly (and neutrally)
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

eggmceye wrote:I'm scrapping y-axis wrapping - even tho ultima 5 has it, it defies physics and is retarded.
Laugh out loud.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
j0int
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by j0int »

whats this talk about ships? :?
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

The monster disapearing was the simplest way I could think of to simulate it "returning to point of origin".
They shouldn't disapear if there is a valid target to attack though, they would only do it if nobody's around.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I've been out of the loop for quite a while and these updates look very intriguing. I plan to be on a bit more and will definitely be on during parts of the weekends as time permits. I did lure a goblin from a dungeon just to witness this following off the map behaviour. I take what happens if you die or teleport is the creature goes back to the entrance of the exit/entrance and just sits there? I can see where this would cause a few problems with shadowlords and other challenging creatures. I also see it as an opportunity to party/hire fellow players to kill the creature. It is rather nice if such nasty creatures don't attack various "newbies" if under a certain level. I'd still like to see how this is handled when they enter town.
ZUPS!!!!
Yolkindragon
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Yolkindragon »

*claps* wow, I can see you put... MUCH work in EUO since I left, nice work there :D
Back in wack.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

finished coding readable books (think morrowind) - tho the book png is (typically) taking longer than any of the c++ ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

That is soooo cool :shock:
And Ultima has such an epic story X-D I love it. I like how you worked EUO into continuity also!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

There are a lot of people that don't read the manual, unfortunately. Personally, I went a little crazy on parts of the manual detailing the exact recipies for making items and the skill required. It is nice to see books introduced into the game with graphical text rather than with all the text at the bottom of the screen.

You seem to have been busier than hell according to this updates thread. It is nice to see that you didn't give up way back, when you were extremely frustrated. EUO is still the best game to play on dial-up (which is all I have) so each breakthru is extremely impressive to me. I really must take a look at your "To-Do-List."
ZUPS!!!!
Sledz
BBQ ABC <3

misc updates thread

Post by Sledz »

Great idea! :roll:
Books in Morrowind was cool, I thing it must be in EUO ASAP :)
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

This would be a good time to put crafting information from the manual into books to be found in quests. Then wipe them from the manual. That way you could still look up Alchemy recipes but it would require some effort on your part. Maybe not though, its not like you couldn't just ask over global and get a recipe anyways. Maybe rare recipes that require you to have read a book before you can make them?
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

About books and other popups like the help screen, naybe they should automaticly be exited when attacked by a monster?
Something along the lines of ,"You can't read while monsters are attacking!"

Books are a nice addition though, could possibly make an intersting expansion to the library or second floor of the university.
Player A-ctivates the shelf to look at the books on it?
Also maybe be able to action wells to make wish or do something with them?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Eclips wrote:This would be a good time to put crafting information from the manual into books to be found in quests. Then wipe them from the manual. That way you could still look up Alchemy recipes but it would require some effort on your part. Maybe not though, its not like you couldn't just ask over global and get a recipe anyways. Maybe rare recipes that require you to have read a book before you can make them?
Exactly my thinking as well. So many possibilities with this and the RP element gets raised to a higher level than is currently in the game.
ZUPS!!!!
Bk

Post by Bk »

I WOULD LOVE to see you be able to write books with a quill, no inscription required, maybe 5, but I would think to inscript a scroll to do a magical thing, like unequip armour or set up a teleport would be 10x's more advanced than just writing simple characters onto parchment that wouldn't do anything when read... Only requirement, is (1) have a quill, (2) no inscription, but don't get any skill xp for writing a book, and (3) only able to write x amount of characters per blank scroll, so if you have y scrolls you'd only be able to write xy characters. :D Only problem would be an spamming of books by everyone X-D, possibly have a new quest to get, instead of quill, something special... like a fancy Pheasant Feather!!! Feather is soulbound...

I'd love to do this!!!, and if you drop it, people can (l) look at it and read it w/out having it in the inventory, but don't make books soulbound...
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Lets write a fucking diary.
~Mario
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

eclips wrote:crafting information from the manual into books to be found in quests.
YES!
eclips wrote:rare recipes that require you to have read a book before you can make them?
Yeheheheeeeessss :psychotic: Best idea ever. (Since making unarmed classless :P )
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Unarmed is classless? Good fricken grief am I out of the loop again. Maybe I should reread this entire thread from page 1. :-S
ZUPS!!!!
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

No he meant the idea of making unarmed classlesss. It isn't and i doubt it will be.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Ships are close now ... I've finished off all of the map-seam bugs (except for vog bounce across seam which does not justify the effort) and have done all the ships engine-side coding needed except ships taking damage and sinking. So I guess when that's done and the book png is done, and maybe a few books are written I can do an update.

unpublished changes:
Sep 15
* finished off continent seam bugs (except vog bounce across seam, won't fix)
* did some more work on ships (engine side: retaking control, making duping of ships harder, storing ship creator names)
* reset on blocked now resets you rather than sending you to newbie island

Sep 14
* fixed bug: when die as wolf then change back to human when sun rises, you stay on as crim