Moderator: EUO Moderators

Catherine
English correct bastard.

Re: misc updates thread

Post by Catherine »

AlexisMagnus wrote:
eggmceye wrote:22 Aug 2019

* hidden SPACE msg for troll bridge etc. right click search adj

May I suggest removing from Temple of Sky Gods as well in next update? Just noticed recently.

There was a load of lore that went missing (wine + laptop = disaster) for that map.

But the 'hidden' locations are pretty logical - if you zoom out a bit, it's in the "Eye" of the Phoenix. Originally there was supposed to be lore spam / LUA triggers at the three altars on the way but shit happened.

So, that map warp is intentionally invisible.

Oh, and hai!

Hope Egg is well, Aussieland is hitting 50oC+ and turning into Mad Max, so there we go.

p.s.

Turns out I remember my forum psword, but not my account >.< Oh, and apparently my account no longer exists. If you need to know this is me, Kybare once gave me a duped glass sword when I first joined which had +255 damage on it. (Old email no longer exists and account name isn't recognized by the recover euotopia thing :: please modmail my details to forum acc?)
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Catherine wrote: ....

Oh, and hai!

Hope Egg is well, Aussieland is hitting 50oC+ and turning into Mad Max, so there we go.

p.s.

Turns out I remember my forum psword, but not my account >.< Oh, and apparently my account no longer exists. If you need to know this is me, Kybare once gave me a duped glass sword when I first joined which had +255 damage on it. (Old email no longer exists and account name isn't recognized by the recover euotopia thing :: please modmail my details to forum acc?)
Welcome back!
Ranko
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Ranko »

Catherine wrote: Turns out I remember my forum psword, but not my account >.< Oh, and apparently my account no longer exists. If you need to know this is me, Kybare once gave me a duped glass sword when I first joined which had +255 damage on it. (Old email no longer exists and account name isn't recognized by the recover euotopia thing :: please modmail my details to forum acc?)
Well, the Armory still lists a character named Catherine, and multiple connected toons. Maybe the account still exists, or if not maybe you can sweet-talk egg into moving them to a new account? :LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON:
"What do you think is going on?"
"Some horrible Wagnerian thing, full of blood, thunder, and death for us all."
"Oh, the usual."
"Exactly."
-- Roger Zelazny, Cutting A Cord (paraphrased)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

of course the account still exists
look at this thread right here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5441
AlexisMagnus

Post by AlexisMagnus »

Catherine wrote:
But the 'hidden' locations are pretty logical - if you zoom out a bit, it's in the "Eye" of the Phoenix. Originally there was supposed to be lore spam / LUA triggers at the three altars on the way but shit happened.
So, that map warp is intentionally invisible.

Sure, your maps usually deserve a careful look - the eye caught my attention and that was how I found the spot in first place. Not to mention hidden drawings of animals and other stuff in some caves, which pass unnoticed unless we're looking for them :)

It's great to see you around, I'm a fan of your work (including the excellent maped guide) and certainly not the only one. Even in unfinished places such as VoT, I had a great time trying to make sense of all the stuff already in there - not knowing it was broken made me check everything and try the most crazy ideas :D . It's also a pleasure to be finally able to let you know that - I tried writing to the e-mail address you left hidden at the bottom of the Pit, but it seems not to be working anymore.

Thank you for all the great stuff you built, and hope to see you around more often.
(aka SirNoobs)

-- "If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough."
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

updated this stupid forums software :ymca:
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

AlexisMagnus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:50 am
Sure, your maps usually deserve a careful look - the eye caught my attention and that was how I found the spot in first place. Not to mention hidden drawings of animals and other stuff in some caves, which pass unnoticed unless we're looking for them :)

It's great to see you around, I'm a fan of your work (including the excellent maped guide) and certainly not the only one. Even in unfinished places such as VoT, I had a great time trying to make sense of all the stuff already in there - not knowing it was broken made me check everything and try the most crazy ideas :D . It's also a pleasure to be finally able to let you know that - I tried writing to the e-mail address you left hidden at the bottom of the Pit, but it seems not to be working anymore.

Thank you for all the great stuff you built, and hope to see you around more often.
That's really sweet of you, so thanks :) But tbh: only 1/3rds promised maps ever went live, which is totally down to me and not Egg. I've an old 4-6 level map set based on the movie Tremors (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/) that got zapped when... more wine, different laptop (this is a recurring theme). That was last time I got interested, when LUA really got full functionality.

Egg's view of me is probably morelike: she says there's an email, there's not, and she's vanished for another five years... Sigh.

Basically, what happens is: I get interested in MapEd, the Goddesses frown, crazy shit happens for 2-4 years and Egg never gets the files. (The Tremors map was cool - since LUA was now in, modded a load of sandtraps and tried to make them have a fake mobility (teleporting, really) based on where a player was standing. Really cludgy haxx though, couldn't work out how to tell LUA what the char was standing on - which I knew was a thing, since lava etc applies environmental effects. From memory it involved making some tiles have a property, but tbh, I think it wasn't working. Map design was solid, leading up to the Sand Worm Queen trapper boss - yes, there was a nod to TOME4 in there).

@Egg - interested that you're still working on this, and you're STILL not listed on places like https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/ -- this has always baffled me, since EUO is still one of the best ones out there. Caves of Qud does simplistic but interesting things with RNG chaotic generators but EUO still has the best core back-bone out of the three I keep tabs upon (TE4, Qud, EUO).

So, meh: guess Reddit hates you or something, but you really deserve a bit of love from the indy scene which you've never had. 100% core mechanics best freebie indy 2D rpg out there, ranks above QUD, imo - and that's $10 on Steam (mutation stuff is lazy).

:sadpanda:

#1 The pit email / maped one does exist, but it's trapped in security lock-down :grrr: It was made before popular emails used 2-factor auth, and someone dinked it bad, so there's no way of proving it's me - thanks hotmail, how can I 2-auth when that didn't exist when it was made?! Nor does the account email. Nor does the one linked to this forum account. Lesson kids: using one use stuff is security sensible, but intarweb decay is a thing.

#2 Very tempted to trawl the old photo thread and see if those got ganked. Been a wild few years, might have been pruned as well. Pre-tat Cat would be wild to see (chaotic - like I have those pictures anymore....!)

#3 Holy Cow - it's 2019 and the secret cow valley is live on twitter: https://twitter.com/magic_bane/status/1 ... 5773590529

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON! So touched. kleos aphthiton indeed.

#4 @Egg. I'll have to make a new email to attempt to get acc back, or please just dump data on this forum email PM - hey, I might have to buy my house again so you can buy a few tinnies for Xmas. Given Aussie house prices, guess that's a soild $250, right? ;)

#5 Egg hasn't done his YouTube for like 2 years, but.... Your. Voice. Is. So. Deep. Compared to my mental image of you via photos. oO. Wow... 10+ years, the shit you learn.

~

Edit: Eggs' and other network links in his twitter drew me to this: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... me-podcast which was a very cute informative podcast. So... thanks x2. Not saying that's me, but that's totally me.

~

Edit: what brought me here (again): just as a head's up, there's a RU based 'rpg maker' who has totes ripped the entire EUO tile base and is hawking his amazing abilities on Reddit and I think a kickstarter. Usual story - has ripped the entire thing, made shitty edits to hide it, but it's not his work. Ryu was licensed, this perp is 100% running with "his original artwork". Can't find it (stupid, was doing other things when I noticed it), but I'll hit Egg with a head's up if I see it in the wild again and trace it and the kickstarter gets >$5000 etc. i.e. a proper search with evidence + dump @ Egg so he can / cannot do a legal desist or just hit them for a license fee (which they won't pay - kickstarter was in the $10-50k range, they never do licenses).
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Oh, and since I just noticed who liked that tweet and a few others & might recognize them from back in the day.

This is the best game ever made:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_(1988_video_game)

Chris Chapman's vid on it is really interesting, esp when he gets technical: Exile: The 8-Bit Metroidvania You've Never Heard Of | Retrohistories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhsFq9ZBJds

"Never heard of"

I know more about coding BBC 32k / Amiga stuff than I should due to trying to get this working under DOS (pre-windows).

~

No. Really.

It's 2019 and NO ONE HAS EVER REMADE IT. Serious grrr. Entire game world lost a lot when J.Smith died in 1992. <searches through entire PC game available market> - Nope. Never even touched upon.

RIP, one of the great old ones. Seriously. Look up the hax (real hax) used.

Oh... and Egg.

Some of us think of you like Jeremy, so... send details to forum PM plx, I need my house back. And I need you to have a happy Xmas. Ok, well: the cat gets a shiny collar, sadly I didn't just cash out from some VC based WeWork scam or anything. (You cannot direct email you no more - so.... confused)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

eggmceye wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm updated this stupid forums software :ymca:
This didn't happen did it?

ZUPS!!!!
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

eggmceye wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm updated this stupid forums software :ymca:
Looks nice!
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Dunno, top menu bar gfx are kinda jacked up and everything is on the right side now. We lost all the nifty euo icons for threads and what not. My universe is in bizarro world now and everyone I see IRL looks like they're made of blocks like in mine-craft. The colors of the universe inverted as well. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!
ZUPS!!!!
AlexisMagnus

Post by AlexisMagnus »

We've even got a cool log message:

euo-forum-upg.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(aka SirNoobs)

eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I have sent cat a pm. everyone can relax now
Shino
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Shino »

a) non humans start at 125% cap and can use versatility to spend 38 levels at versatility to get to 200% cap
b) humans start at 150% and can use versatility to get 200% cap - so humans get a head start and only req spend exactly 25 levels to get to 200% - humans get 13 more levels to spend on stats

now PD players get only 50% more class cap when remorting. non humans still stuck at 175% and humans go from 150 to 200
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Shino wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 am a) non humans start at 125% cap and can use versatility to spend 38 levels at versatility to get to 200% cap
b) humans start at 150% and can use versatility to get 200% cap - so humans get a head start and only req spend exactly 25 levels to get to 200% - humans get 13 more levels to spend on stats

now PD players get only 50% more class cap when remorting. non humans still stuck at 175% and humans go from 150 to 200
Yeah, indeed they are. :? :?
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

is this a bug or complaint
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

either way, wrong thread
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

added phoenix to VoT and made the barriers to it deactivatable (see VoT thread for spoilers)
AlexisMagnus

Post by AlexisMagnus »

eggmceye wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 pm added phoenix to VoT and made the barriers to it deactivatable (see VoT thread for spoilers)
Just been there, it's very nice, and I like the way it's been implemented. Thank you!
(aka SirNoobs)

eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

thanks for posting!