flying carpet is in but I haven't decided how to get it
you can fly anywhere on continent with it including over high peaks
Stinger
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Stinger »

eggmceye wrote:flying carpet is in but I haven't decided how to get it
you can fly anywhere on continent with it including over high peaks
Great!

Maybe tailors could make carpet tiles(for houses) and then those could be enchanted...
Sharingan
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Sharingan »

eggmceye wrote: you can fly anywhere on continent with it including over high peaks
You should make it where if the user land (dismount or whatever) on a rough terrain, the flying carpet gets damaged.

Example
Ocean = Gets soaked and to heavy to fly
Lava = Burns up
Forest = Torn my branches
Mountain = Torn my cliff or I dunno
BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

Post by BlackMage »

If they know it's going to get damaged, then why would they land on anything other than a normal land tile?

If that idea were to go into action, then the flying carpet should have random "misfortunes" where it just kinda gives out randomly.

Or maybe it should have to be "recharged"? And once it runs out of magic juice to keep it afloat it should start to give out randomly and if it gives out over a tree or a high peak then it would get torn and need to be repaired (by a tailor) and then "recharged" by an enchanter. It would sorta give a tailor some use.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

boats is becoming a real drag ...

started doing some preliminary work on subclasses (meaning i can put in stuff like bards and necromancers soon)
stegos
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by stegos »

Hey Egg
eggmceye wrote:boats is becoming a real drag ...
Are you trying to create a whole tier of boats where the raft is at the very bottom? Can you pull back on all the big fancy stuff and just make *one* basic boat?
eggmceye wrote:started doing some preliminary work on subclasses (meaning i can put in stuff like bards and necromancers soon)
Oooh, can bards charm or sleep enemies? Can necros charm, tame, or create undead? :mrgreen:
- the true heart of ultima... is virtues and all that hippie crap - eggmceye, 2-jul-04
- Sorry would be the day that Stegos does not have some ideas, even bad ones. - me, 26-oct-05
- K goin back 2 Erth now ... - Morthwyl's Dino, 27-nov-07
- Level-up tax - the BEST gold sink! - me, 9-jan-09
- Stegos said it best... - Akyla, 21-sep-04
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'm trying to get just one boat working. There are innumerable problems with people logging in and out & boats.

re subclasses: I'm doing infrastructure - not interested in actual subclass specifics.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

finished subclass engine coding after a lot of headscratching and frustration

might think about either bards or necromancy next or whatever comes to mind - believe it when you see it
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

If the capability for the different species is still in, it would be cool if with 100 necro you could become undead.
Tabitha
on lolpatrol

Post by Tabitha »

Eclips wrote:If the capability for the different species is still in, it would be cool if with 100 necro you could become undead.
Would you really want to be un dead .. especially with all them high + silver weapons that are laying in wait for something like that :D

--------------------------

Subclass engine coding... good to know that the future is be worked on... keep up the great work ... Even if its a brain buster. :dancecow:
Eternally Grateful To Pythian, and CIA ...TY
Mackey wrote:you guys dont jerk off to transformers? it's pleasure in disguise, dammit!

jumpstart wrote:People who call egg a EggMcFaggot should really suck his EggMcNuggets.
Heikki

Post by Heikki »

might think about either bards...
Hooray for tights and lutes :P
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop
stegos

Post by stegos »

Hey Egg
eggmceye wrote:I'm trying to get just one boat working. There are innumerable problems with people logging in and out & boats.
Some questions for thought. Some party versus clan implementation.

Please bear with me. I am hoping something said here will spark an idea, get you around an impass, or just over the hump.

1. Are the problems technical or establishing what the rules should be?

2. Are you using boat ID's or boat instance ID's instead of last known coords?

3. If a player logins in and the boat they logged off from is not instantiated, could they go back to the res circle of their bound town, or should they be cast adrift? (converse of #6)

4. Are the folks in a boat automatically in a party with only the other folks on the boat? Boating party - ha!

5. Boat instance token in each boating party member has an expiration when boat captain logs off?

6. If a boat captain logs off or lags out, should the passengers be cast adrift or go back to their bound towns? (converse of #3)

7. If the captain logs back in within a certain period of time, the boat party token expiration, say 10 minutes, could the server automatically reinvite the dislodged passengers, giving them the choice to get back on the boat?

8. Should the boarding pass for a boat be an invisible token or a visible inventory item like an Izumi/Dryden ticket? As clan leaders can make keys, perhaps boat captains can make tickets.

9. Should a boating party be thought of as a temporary party channel or more like permanent clan?

10. When either the boating captain or a passenger logs off, could a scroll of "reboard boat" automatically be added to their inventory that has no timeout but behaves like KOP?

eggmceye wrote:might think about either bards...
Heikki wrote:Hooray for tights and lutes :P
Mmm... stretchy pants. :mrgreen: Nacho Libre, anyone?
- the true heart of ultima... is virtues and all that hippie crap - eggmceye, 2-jul-04
- Sorry would be the day that Stegos does not have some ideas, even bad ones. - me, 26-oct-05
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

stegos wrote: 1. Are the problems technical or establishing what the rules should be?
what the rules should be
stegos wrote: 2. Are you using boat ID's or boat instance ID's instead of last known coords?
id's - but had lists of boats with lists of players, players didn't know what boats they were on - this might have to change
stegos wrote: 3. If a player logins in and the boat they logged off from is not instantiated, could they go back to the res circle of their bound town, or should they be cast adrift? (converse of #6)
returned to town

what if the boat has moved?
I was going to put them back to town but maybe they can just go where the boat is
stegos wrote: 4. Are the folks in a boat automatically in a party with only the other folks on the boat? Boating party - ha!
no - I was going to do this but no - but might end up doing it for combat's sake
stegos wrote: 5. Boat instance token in each boating party member has an expiration when boat captain logs off?
yes - boat is created by captain and destroyed by captain when he exists
stegos wrote: 6. If a boat captain logs off or lags out, should the passengers be cast adrift or go back to their bound towns? (converse of #3)
this is one of the main problems - possible solutions:
i) destroy boat, cast adrift (destroy as in remove object not destroy the item)
ii) boat becomes becalmed - nothing happens until captain relogs - if doesn't relog in 2 min then boat destroyed and everyone cast adrift OR everyone taken back to town
iii) some other player becomes captain (but does not gain ownership of ship item) - what happens when the captain logs in again?
stegos wrote: 7. If the captain logs back in within a certain period of time, the boat party token expiration, say 10 minutes, could the server automatically reinvite the dislodged passengers, giving them the choice to get back on the boat?
Given the answers to 6) I think this is too complex
stegos wrote: 8. Should the boarding pass for a boat be an invisible token or a visible inventory item like an Izumi/Dryden ticket? As clan leaders can make keys, perhaps boat captains can make tickets.
It wont be a token - there is no invite atm - anyone can board any boat - which is probably a bad idea since the captain can't exit until all the passengers are off - so a beligerant passenger could keep the capt on the ship
stegos wrote: 9. Should a boating party be thought of as a temporary party channel or more like permanent clan?
I dont think that is necessary - There is a list of ships and each ship has a list of passengers. However for combat's sake it might be a good idea to make an auto party.
stegos wrote: 10. When either the boating captain or a passenger logs off, could a scroll of "reboard boat" automatically be added to their inventory that has no timeout but behaves like KOP?
I think if you log when on a boat, then log back in, it should stay simple - either
i) you reboard the ship (and take control if capt) if it exists
ii) you restart in town if ship doesnt exist
what about combat
I was initially just going to do ships cannons. Ammo was going to be free (possibly to change). Currently any passenger can attack from the ship as if they are walking. I thought this was stupid at first but right now doesn't seem so bad.

Years ago when I thought of ships I wanted to do u5 style ship combat but that is well abandoned now.
what about ship's health
I think a ship could have a certain number of HP - when monsters attack anyone on the ship - it damages the ship instead of the player and when the HP goes to 0 the ship sinks and every one is cast adrift. Ships will have to be repairable somehow.
what about different ships
not initially but of course there could be different ships with different speeds, #guns, HP
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

I don't know how hard this would be to do, but maybe you can only board someone's boat if they're in your party? And if you are removed from the party you get sent back to town?
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

I've noticed the being on a mount effects your attacking speed as well as your movement speed. So my fighter Smash that has 25 dex can attack like he just took a brown potion if he's on horseback. Also, if I attack from a raft on Rusty my attacking speed is diminished. Someone told me that you can IP while on a raft onto land and you would stay on your raft on land and be able to move around. I tried it and it works, though there really is no benefit to it, except the increased speed for really slow players.
stegos

Post by stegos »

So to sum up...
eggmceye wrote:it should stay simple
I agree. Now, my opinions, for what they are worth, follow.
stegos wrote:1. Are the problems technical or establishing what the rules should be?
eggmceye wrote:what the rules should be
Acknowledged.
stegos wrote:3. If a player logins in and the boat they logged off from is not instantiated, could they go back to the res circle of their bound town, or should they be cast adrift? (converse of #6)
eggmceye wrote:returned to town
Sounds reasonable.
stegos wrote:6. If a boat captain logs off or lags out, should the passengers be cast adrift or go back to their bound towns? (converse of #3)
eggmceye wrote:this is one of the main problems - possible solutions:
i) destroy boat, cast adrift (destroy as in remove object not destroy the item)
ii) boat becomes becalmed - nothing happens until captain relogs - if doesn't relog in 2 min then boat destroyed and everyone cast adrift OR everyone taken back to town
iii) some other player becomes captain (but does not gain ownership of ship item) - what happens when the captain logs in again?
I vote for option "ii" - grace period with timeout.
stegos wrote:10. When either the boating captain or a passenger logs off, ...
eggmceye wrote:I think if you log when on a boat, then log back in, it should stay simple - either
i) you reboard the ship (and take control if capt) if it exists
ii) you restart in town if ship doesnt exist
I agree.

A thought: To keep attacking simple, no cannons to start with. Only individual ranged and magic attacks from a distance and fighter attacks only when adjacent. Maybe cannons can be added later to the next grade of boat. Perhaps this first go-round with boats is simply multi-player rafts.
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Rusty76 wrote:Someone told me that you can IP while on a raft onto land and you would stay on your raft on land and be able to move around. I tried it and it works, though there really is no benefit to it
Actually there is a benefit: rough terrain doesn't slow you down. So I guess that makes it a cheese...
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

Stinger wrote:
Rusty76 wrote:Someone told me that you can IP while on a raft onto land and you would stay on your raft on land and be able to move around. I tried it and it works, though there really is no benefit to it

Actually there is a benefit: rough terrain doesn't slow you down. So I guess that makes it a cheese...
Yeah, but unless you're slow as crap you're stuck at a pretty slow speed.

Which brings up another question - Should everybody be the same speed on the raft? I realize that rafts would realistically go the same speed, but you also wouldn't be able to steer a raft, so there has to be some rowing going on in EUO.

Maybe there should just be a rafting skill :p.
"I should make a gold suit of armor for my pimp"

DrBiggie: wtfs up Raiden?!
Raiden: you high?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Maybe there should just be a rafting skill :p.
That made me think of Dirk the Daring in Dragon's Lair for some reason.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Did some more work on ships and other things. Time spent on ships is mostly fixing stupid bugs, as the whole thing is just too complex, and this is just for the cheesy beta with no cannons. It's mostly done though. Ships are going to be a total let down - the most hyped up, most time spent on any feature in euo ever.