Things in EUO that have changed for the worse, part 2

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Things in EUO that have changed for the worse, part 2

Post by eggmceye »

16 months on from the last thread viewtopic.php?t=2218 ...

here's what I think sucks most about euo
  • block - I hate it and feel like scrapping it completely. Rather just have shields add to def.
  • scrapping level cap, only because I think you should retire after hitting 100 or make a new char
  • coldfire getting banned
Please think before you post and justify your argument. Try not to turn it into a fighters vs mages argument.
Kybare
My monkey's still learning the basics of e-mail.

Post by Kybare »

I used to play EUO quite a bit but have sinced slowed down. I'll try to think about what happened (did I just max out or did something change that made me quit?) and get back. In the mean time...

I think that allowing player merchants to show more than 10 items was a bad idea. This caused the need for the merchant search: really helpful but in most RPGs it would be considered a cheese. Also, it causes people to put every useless item into their merchant, often for rediculous prices, and they never sell any.

When you could only show 10 items, you had to think about what you put into your merchant and at what price you wanted to charge. I think the old Alpha did it best with areas of the town designated for selling only certain types of items.

Yes, this makes it harder for people to get the items they want at the best prices. BUT, who said RPGs are supposed to be easy? And find me a search engine that searches ALL merchants in the world for a certain item that displays it as simply as the merchant search does here.
Next time you level up, choose INT because you spawned from the shallow end of the gene pool. - eggmceye
Punctuation is what seperates man from the animals - snafu
Main advice is to "RTFM" - email from my supervisor to me
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

It also totally clots up the system ... there should be a limit on how many items in your inv & bank, how many in your chests and how many on your merchant. Like 50 for each or something.
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

Enchanting. THAT sucks. Ruins the magic of hunting for me, seeking something new, something cool that nobody else has seen before. It was almost insane desire to see if THIS boss dropped something awesome...or just a vig 5 ring. Guess that means the item stat nerf and ench....so I'm a double whiner here.

Oh, and clears being nerfed/cosmic being nerfed. Loved the mages with me going blind from it which caused us all to get toasted by whatever. The fact that chance alone could defeat you no matter how good you were.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the fact that it means you can get any wep you want now could be construed as both an awesome thing and an awful thing, you're right
mugima
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by mugima »

It was an awesome thing, until I got all the things I could think of, then there was no more reason to venture deep into the belly of dungeons in search for that fabled vamp claymore +8. I don't think it's really that EUO has changed for the worse...it's just that it isn't changing anymore. Those patches were like opening christmas presents.:P I think enchanting needs some tinkering with if it's to stay in.
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

It was an awesome thing, until I got all the things I could think of, then there was no more reason to venture deep into the belly of dungeons
Agreed. While it's sometimes fun to run through any dungeon with any +8 or enchant that I choose, it gets kind of boring to just leave every drop on the ground, knowing it won't be any better than my diamond AEP or my vamp XJ. I would actually not be opposed to a weapon reset. Just give every class the weapons that they start with. And scrap enchanting...or at least only let it go up to like +4 with only weak spell enchants.

Also, I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think that monsters are now immune to poison weapons. I can see why this was probably done, people would just hit the tough ones, and then wait til their health was almost gone to go finish them off. But could you just put in a poison time limit? Say 2 or 3 seconds. Then it would be a ridiculous task to poison something slowly, and for someone attacking with a poison weapon, it wouldn't make a difference.
Ulric
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Ulric »

I like the way enchanting is done. It is very hard and expensive to get 100% enchanting. Once you do get enchanting to 100% you never want to enchant anything for the rest of you life. Just ask the GM enchanters that have quit enchanting because of the retards that whine at the prices or whine when you will not give them the gem they need for there emergence need of the hour. What enchanting does is allow for those who want to see how far they can take the game and find out how many things that can be created or polypiled or what ever.

If people just leave drops that is there problem because they have not tried to use all the features the game provides. Almost everything in the game has a use you just need to use it for the intended purpose or use your imagination to figure out what something is used for.

As far as cool stuff to be found that is what +9 weapons and +7 def items that can only be found in lvl 15 map chests only. Also artifacts fall into the category. Does anyone have all the artifacts? Those people who have left drops where there any artifacts that where left?

As far as max lvl goes there should not be one. Most people stop playing this game well before they are invincible. Heikki at lvl 270+ is not even invincible so what is the problem with being lvl 100+ trying to take down a shadow warrior I doubt is possible with out the help of potions and friends if you have not reached lvl 125+. I still get spanked by ballies unless I have help or a lot of potions and I am lvl 76.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Ulric wrote: I still get spanked by ballies unless I have help or a lot of potions and I am lvl 76.

Ideally, Balrons should spank you at level 200, so I'm guessing some major cheeses still exist for them.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

I spank ballys on my level 61 fighter
IAmBatMan
Here for the lesbians.

Post by IAmBatMan »

I spank your mom on my level 69 Pimp
Lenocium est non facile.
kibman
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by kibman »

Shadow mages are easy if you have the hp and AS to hit em, also shadow warriors are just plain simple and ballies are pretty easy one on one, still fun though. 2 ballies at a time is especially fun ;)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

what if enchanting only made up to +4, and anything higher was soulbound?
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

eggmceye wrote:what if enchanting only made up to +4, and anything higher was soulbound?
PERFECT!

Do it yourself or you can't get it.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Ulric

Post by Ulric »

Hmm... That means no one can make money from enchanting so that to get the money to get to 100% would take forever via anyother means. Thus no one would do it. This would also mean that to get a +7, +8 or +9 weapon would only be through treasure hunting lvl 12-15 maps.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

money is pretty overrated!
Ulric

Post by Ulric »

Money is the only way to get empty soul shards and blank scrolls.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Hmm might have to have another thread to argue about money/economy in ;)

Anything else that sux other than enchanting & block?
Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Raiden »

I have to agree with egg on the fact block sucks, about a year ago I posted an idea for a push button block but it still seems... akward. Pressing a key to block makes more sense to me than auto blocking everything. But I do miss the fact you could gain defense from shields, but block needs a change if its ditched or altered it NEEDS it.

Here's the link for my old post if anyone is interested, viewtopic.php?t=1700&highlight=
Last edited by Raiden on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulric

Post by Ulric »

Plain onyx, plain zircons and plain topaz's are useless. There should be a polypile recipe for them or something to use the for.