Ship Building - Resurrected

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Rono
Here for the lesbians.

Ship Building - Resurrected

Post by Rono »

Alrighty then, it seems like a lot of the players on the Reg Server, myself included, are becoming very interested in the feature known as Ship Building that has been discussed in the past several times. This thread is for ideas and suggestions concerning it anything about it. Feel free to post how you think it could work/any ideas you have for it.

Here's a summary of ideas that I've collected from Kodiak, Eraamion, various WoWz members, and myself:

The first thing that needs to be looked at by the players is the materials required to build a ship. This would include logs, ore, cloth, glass, and other reagents. However, before discussing what you need to make a ship, let's take some time to look at the different types of ships possible to be built:

Rafts- You already know.
Skiffs- Built for speed and maneuverability.
Fishing Boats- Self explanatory.
Merchant Ships- Ships players might be able to build that contain a store, like bartertown kind of.
Corsairs- Long sleek boats, designed for speedy battle and warfare. Often used by pirates of old for attacking slower galleons.
Galleons- The giants of the sea, designed for naval warfare and piracy.

Now the materials required to build each type of ship will be dependent on the size of the ship and of course the type. Also we must take into consideration that you can't exactly make a ship out of logs. Kodiak suggested that it should be thought of in terms of refined materials made from the raw materials, then into a ship. An example of this would be cutting a log and then using woodcrafting skill to create a wooden plank. The ship would then be composed of several planks/other materials. I'll first list the raw requirements for a basic generalization of what you need, then a list of what raw materials can be refined into.

Raft- 10 logs, no refinery.

Skiff- 150 logs, refinery into planks, and two oars mayhaps.

Fishing Boat- 450 logs, 300 cloth, Rope, and 20 glass. Refinery into planks, sails, portholes, and alchemy for rope + wood treatment.

Merchant ship - 500 logs, 400 cloth, rope, and 30 glass. Refinery into planks, sails, portholes, and alchemy for rope. Also requires Merchant's Liscense +wood treatment.

Corsair- The pirate ship that I'm seeking to build, along with WoWz Galleon.

8000 logs, 1,000 ingots, 6000 cloth, 150 glass, 50 copper and zinc ore +wood treatment materials. Refinery for logs into planks, rudder, mast, yards, cabin, steering wheel. Ingots refined into porthole frames, bolts, sheet metal, support beams. Cloth refined into rope and sails. glass refined into porthole panes. copper and zinc refined into brass sheets.

Galleon- The big project that the clans should be looking to make. Please note that the materials listed are what I think should be required to make these. I believe that a galleon would be a prized possession that takes some time to build and perfect. They shouldnt exactly be mass produced everyday.

15,000 or more logs, 3000 ingots, 10,000 cloth(rope included), 300 glass, 100 copper ore, 100 zinc ore + wood treatment materials. (see corsair for refinery)

--------------------

That takes care of materials... somewhat. Feel free to suggest more. Now for the matter of benefits pertaining to ships.

Rafts- Travelling across rivers and shallow water.

Skiffs- Faster travel across deep and shallow water.

Fishing Ships- Ability to accumulate fish faster than with a pole, using nets. (Good place to involve tailoring/tinkering for nets)

Merchant ships- A chance to run a store without needing to wait for a place to open up in bartertown, however, it comes with its risks.

Corsairs- Somewhat speedy travel across waters. Good for attacking and looting other ships. Pretty much, a pirate ship.

Galleons- Heavy cannon firepower, safe travel for multiple people, high ship defense, good for clan wars.

All of the above have a common benefit though. This benefit is the usage of tradeskills (crafting skills). With this addition they could finally be put to use.

----------------

Boarding is what many of us fancy, the chance to loot other ships and take their goods, namingly merchant ships. We have brainstormed a couple of ideas for how this might work. One way is the use of temporary maps (Kodiak).

How this would work is whenever a ship is boarded, the players on the ships are sent to a map that displays both ships and a gangplank across. When the battle is over, the winners get the goods onboard of the others and do damage the opposing ship.

What happens if I die during a boarding?

I suggested that you were sent to "The Brig" until the fight was over, to keep either side from ressing continuously and cheesing each other. This may or may not work.

After the temporary map is created, the battle occurs, and when the battle is over, the players either ressurect or return to their ship. After the players leave the map, the temporary map is deleted and space is returned for more boardings to occur. This will prevent simultaneous boardings from bugging up and sending both pairs of peopel to the same map.

Another way to do this is create three maps and if one is occupied, sned the opposing parties to the next.

Thi sis all I'm typing for now, I have more ideas, just sick of typing. Will return with more. Please post comments/ideas.
Kodiak
Stop posting already --;

Re: Ship Building - Ressurected

Post by Kodiak »

Diablos wrote: Kodiak suggested that it should be thought of in terms of refined materials made from the raw materials, then into a ship.....
Raft- 10 logs, no refinery.

Skiff- 150 logs, refinery into planks, and two oars mayhaps.

Fishing Boat- 450 logs, 300 cloth, Rope, and 20 glass. Refinery into planks, sails, portholes, and alchemy for rope + wood treatment.

Merchant ship - 500 logs, 400 cloth, rope, and 30 glass. Refinery into planks, sails, portholes, and alchemy for rope. Also requires Merchant's Liscense +wood treatment.

Corsair- The pirate ship that I'm seeking to build, along with WoWz Galleon.

8000 logs, 1,000 ingots, 6000 cloth, 150 glass, 50 copper and zinc ore +wood treatment materials. Refinery for logs into planks, rudder, mast, yards, cabin, steering wheel. Ingots refined into porthole frames, bolts, sheet metal, support beams. Cloth refined into rope and sails. glass refined into porthole panes. copper and zinc refined into brass sheets.

Galleon- The big project that the clans should be looking to make. Please note that the materials listed are what I think should be required to make these. I believe that a galleon would be a prized possession that takes some time to build and perfect. They shouldnt exactly be mass produced everyday.

15,000 or more logs, 3000 ingots, 10,000 cloth(rope included), 300 glass, 100 copper ore, 100 zinc ore + wood treatment materials. (see corsair for refinery)
In this sense, corsairs would dwarf merchent ships which would in turn be dwarfed by galleons, which'll have bigass sails. A thousand at the most of each material would pushing it, going over that would be overkill. I'd look at reducing the req's.
If you treat them like equals, it only encourages them to think they are your equals. -Thief

It's not my fault you suck. -Me
Rono
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Rono »

Well in the past 18 hours or so, I've managed to obtain 1768 logs and the day isn't even up yet. Going at that rate, collecting 15,000 logs would take about a week. Mining produces ore quickly and 1000's can be accumulated each day. Cloth can be bought at the store for 12gp a piece. That's 120,000 gp worth of cloth for galleon sails, not very much. The requirements seem fine to me, easily gathered, just time consuming. The only thing players need to spend time on is refinery and gathering the logs. It all works out rather nicely if you've got a team, like WoWz is doing.
ILoveAli
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

idea for the Galleon

Post by ILoveAli »

Well in the Galleon when multiple members are onboard i think a few of the members should be sent to a cannon where they will operate it and the other members go and fight the crew members of the other ship or ships. I dont know if this will work or not just tossing it around. I'll try to think of some more ideas.
c ya fellers
SpekkoF
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by SpekkoF »

That is still a great idea :smoke:

There should be some maps where you can move only by a ship, since new sossaria is pretty small for them me thinks.
I've been here over 10 years. What the fuck am I doing with my life?
ILoveAli

Docks

Post by ILoveAli »

If ships are added they should have docks. I was thinking about 450-600 logs maybe and a few ropes to build them. The reason so many logs because its gonna be holding some pretty big ships such as the Galleon. I think they should be in a kinda big place. Maybe 3 squares wide and 6 squares long. Nobody should be able to attack a ship when it is in the dock. Well thats all for now.
c ya fellers
GenoStar
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by GenoStar »

How about this, the world map could be edited with a border (like in Chrono Cross) and there could be an open space in one of the corners with Very Deep Water, that only larger ships could sail through (this would be to prevent someone from using a raft and going to a new area) leading into a new area, like an artic climate.

And this would also open up new (harder) dungeons and quests.
Rono
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Rono »

I dunno bout the whole border thing but this could revive the Frozen Continent idea that we were all so hyped about before by accessing it only through galleons. However I'd like to just see ships added in the first place before we start thinking about other crap.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Ironically, Eraamion has just submitted a new continent map with even less sea. Really-- there isn't that much sea left on the continent map! :shock:

But anyhow. Might be a new map soon. :)
Rono
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Rono »

Well if YOU'RE making it we can expect great things :). Be sure to add lots of room for naval warfare and piracy!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the bloody temp map idea is my idea!

ok so in reality, I have actually coded some temp map stuff in the live engine now, for another (secret) project. I was going to also use this temp map code for ship battles (when boarded). The mechanics of sailing and ship warfare was all going to be straight out of U5.
Kodiak
Stop posting already --;

Post by Kodiak »

Secret project involving temporary maps? I hope it is what I think it is, although I doubt it.
If you treat them like equals, it only encourages them to think they are your equals. -Thief

ILoveAli

are ships coming in?

Post by ILoveAli »

So more than likely ships are coming in or going to be tried out?
c ya fellers
Domhnall4h
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Domhnall4h »

As much as Rono was gathering wood yesterday; I'd at least say he thinks they'll be tried out.
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

Rono just announced that WoWz now has 8007 logs. I couldn't help it, a song burst into my mind immediately.

"What rolls down stairs
and over the chairs
and into your neighbor's dog?
It fits on your back,
It's good for a snack,
Everyone knows it's log.
It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good."

-- Ren & Stimpy: The Log Song --

Oh well.
ILoveAli

the song

Post by ILoveAli »

How did this go from shipbuilding and ideas for ships to someone siging a song? Hows about we just keep it to that.
c ya fellers
AileTheAlien
Here for the lesbians.

Post by AileTheAlien »

How about a few more small/shallow water craft?

crude raft:
- 10 woodcrafting
- 15 logs
- weighs 50

canoe:
- 80 woodcrafting
- 7 logs
- weighs 4
Kodiak
Stop posting already --;

Post by Kodiak »

I believe Egg's stuck on his 'big ship, small ship' idea. I am not completely sure if rafts will be the small ship (I doubt it) but basically there's going to be the small, fast, unarmed ship and the big, slow, armed ship.

ILoveAli

Post by ILoveAli »

So kodiak like a skiff and a Galleon in Rono's idea of ships, or just two differnt ships nothing like the skiff and the Galleon. LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
c ya fellers
Kybare
My monkey's still learning the basics of e-mail.

Post by Kybare »

ILoveAli wrote:So kodiak like a skiff and a Galleon in Rono's idea of ships, or just two differnt ships nothing like the skiff and the Galleon. LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
Play Ultima V...
Next time you level up, choose INT because you spawned from the shallow end of the gene pool. - eggmceye
Punctuation is what seperates man from the animals - snafu
Main advice is to "RTFM" - email from my supervisor to me