Ideas thread 2007

Moderator: EUO Moderators

ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

How about a "main" quest in the game?

A quest that would become the central goal of EUO.

It'd have to be insanely long, insanely hard, lots of running around, plenty of difficult dungeon challenges/bosses, maybe even a boss creature, one which doesn't have a race (meaning that you can't find one outside of the quest). If a boss like that were to exist in the quest, he'd have to be unexpectedly strong, use a few spells that monsters wouldn't normally use

(maybe sleep wind? speed boost? greater armour?)

The quest could have a few artifacts thrown around inside it throughout, such as an artifact blade being the only one that can harm said boss creature?

Dunno, there's just some random babble, but I think it would add more of a classic RPG feel to the game.

Maybe have an introduction to this quest when a player first starts out, that teaches a few aspects of the game. Would be a great alternative to a new player starting out in the nord res circle asking what over encumbered means.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Eidolon wrote:
Eidolon wrote:ok how abt smarter pet AI?

1. your pet attacks the moster you're targetting (or auto-targetting).
2. if you run back away from a group of monsters, your pet doesnt stay there waiting to valiantly end its life, but retreats along with you (a few steps behind).
and what abt pet buffs? how abt +str collars to up the HP? and more pet commands, such as /melee (getting adjacent to the opponent more often than not) or /ranged (staying a few spaces back attacking with their ranged spells/attacks - limitted to pets that actually have ranged attacks).

i just see animal taming with so much potential that hasnt even been tapped into yet.
I already posted something about pet AI in this thread, but now that somebody else has joined in, I thought I'd expand my comments.

Obviously, pets should be a nice bonus, but not an uber-advantage. However, right now, pets seem to be basically useless-if I'm fighting something tough enough that the pet would be a help, he'll probably do something stupid and get himself killed.

I don't see much of a difference between "heel" and "guard". I guess heeling pets only attack if they or you are attacked, and guarding pets are slightly more agressive? IMHO, "heel" should make the pet always stay at your side (retreating immediately when you retreat). This would go a long way towards preventing pet suicide.

Per Eid's suggestion, "melee" and "ranged" would be good. As far as I can tell, "heal" hasn't be implemented. I'd like to see other spells selectable as priorities for pet casting (e.g. "cast XJ" for green dragons), although this might be overpowered. Maybe also "snipe", where a pet stays in 1 square, but attacks visible enemies with a ranged attack? Other commands? Perhaps "play dead"-pet effectively becomes invisible to enemies but can't attack?

Typing pet commands takes too long in the heat of battle. I'd like to have pet behaviors bindable. Barring that, make it so pressing a currently unused key (e.g. "x") cycles through the possible pet behaviors (although this would get unwieldy if more behaviors were added).
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

when the rage bar hits 100% it needs to change color so its easier to see you can use your special instead of having to look down and then look back to find all the monsters in different spots.

maybe change to white like the old rage bar above the avatar?
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

I'd like to see the broken (never fully implemented?) quests fixed in 1.3. Not sure if all of these would be easy to fix, but the ones I'm referring to are:

1 Abandoned Farm-Timmy
2 Tangled forest-Melchior, T'Rak, black dragon, barrow disturbance
3 Arena-Investigate match fixing
4 Under Ogre Town-Percy
5 Pendragon-Alcohol, Scepter

1 Timmy doesn't spawn

2 Melchior and T'Rak spawn as friendly NPCs, can't be killed
Killing the black dragon doesn't give a reward
Not sure about the barrow disturbance-there's a friendly NPC in the barrow, maybe he's supposed to spawn neutral (gray), but dialogue makes me think that perhaps the thief leader is supposed to be involved (however, leader doesn't spawn)

3 Not sure what's wrong with match fixing. Somebody not spawning? Broken dialogue?

4 Percy's quest-all dialogue seems to be OK, but quest doesn't ordain/get completed

5 These might possibly be OK, however, I don't know of anybody who's completed these successfully. I haven't explored the deepest part of Pendragon enough to be sure the scepter doesn't spawn. Alcohol doesn't seem to be available.
Ryukko
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Ryukko »

For alchemy it would be nice if we could pour potions out to re use the flasks, since there is a cooldown on drinking them
kusofthevalley
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by kusofthevalley »

Bugbo wrote:Readable books/scrolls that the player can carry around in their inventory. To read it USE it or read it like a scroll or treasure map. Apon reading it a short message will be displayed and the item will remain in inventory for use again.
That relates to something I'd thought about. If I pop off to make a cup of tea/have a cigarette/whatever, I don't particularily like to claim "AFK" on global. but I would like folk who wander past me to know I'm busy.

So I was thinking about writable notes, that could be dropped and then read by other players, so folk could just say things such as "I'm in the toilet - if you you kill my character my level 181 alt will come and get you".

It would save people asking the eternal "Is anyone is Minos?" question, and such others, because you could just leave a note at the entrance saying "I am in Minos, sod off"

AND you could even bump up incription to make 0% solely the abililty to write.... :)
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

That'd be a nice idea, but instead of dropping the notes off to say you're afk, someone make a tile that is just big print "AFK" and you can type /afk and that tile will overlap your avatar so when people see you outside nordhaven they'll see your name above this big AFK tile and they'll know you're afk... probably shouldn't be able to attack someone who is afk but limit it like you do /pvp 0. You can't go afk for 10 minutes after combat or something and you can't move if you're afk. Something like that so people can go afk without worrying about some pker trashing them outside nordhaven (though if you wanna go afk just go inside nordhaven or it's betting ring if you're a criminal.)
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

maybe a message needs to come up whenever you enter a map listing the players currently on the map, that way you'd know it was occupied.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

The thing is, Rusty, even if a player saw the name of whoever was occupying the dungeon, some people would go in anyway.

The same thing happens when you're on the second floor of minos, and some asshole mage walks in on you, obviously coming from the ground level. He's always going to DEMAND that he was there first.
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

How about a command like '/lock' that would prevent the entry of other players into the map you are currently in, except for party members of course. Then when you leave the map it automatically unlocks allowing free entry. If 2 or more players are already on the map then the '/lock' should fail. Obviously you shouldn't be able to do this on town or continent maps. Maybe there could be a setting in the client.cfg file like 'auto_lock=1' that you could set to automatically lock every map as you enter it if it can be locked.
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

Dunno but I played a rogue on PD and I noticed lockpick is now totally useless? When anybody can just buy "bash" and use that for no cost? I thought bash was what made a fighter unique in a sense? :P My idea for this is to change bash so its a fighter only skill. Not only this but lockpick seems rather hard to level up, even on PD. I was in newbie dungeon and rarely found a chest that needed unlocking, by the time I went a few levels under to unlock them chests and guess what? "You do not have the required skills to unlock this chest" or words under that effect. My idea is to just improve the lockpick skill of a rogue so it perhaps levels faster? Otherwise rogues will spend many levels doing it.

Rogues also seem generally disadvantaged compared to fighters to. Don't get me wrong stealthing about is very fun and safe but a fighter has a better chance of surviving against say like 2-3 dragons than a rogue does. My general idea is to just improve the rogue at surviving, maybe give +6 dex an extra 1hp?

I'd personally love to see a very good quest that would get you a very decent weapon or staff depending on class, maybe you gotta get to the end of the deepest pits or something and talk to an npc? etc, a chain quest.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I don't like the /lock idea for a few reasons, mostly because it would be unpractical to implement.

What if you die while you are in the dungeon? Is the map still locked until you come back, or automatically unlocked?

What if you town portal out of the dungeon to get some more pots from the bank? And you took your time to go back to the map?

What if you just decide to stay in the map and reverse clear all day?

Anyway, with the rapid respawn rate we have at the moment crowding in dungeons shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

LaughingCoyote wrote: What if you just decide to stay in the map and reverse clear all day?

Anyway, with the rapid respawn rate we have at the moment crowding in dungeons shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I think more than anything, we need a clarification of rules and etiquette.

Is staying on the same map and hunting respawns a violation of the rules a la reverse clearing? Personally, I don't see this as a problem. It lets players stay in an area where the risk/reward (dying vs XP gain) is appropriate for their level. Many levels are large enough that 2 or more players can grind there at once, if they can agree on how to split the level.

Etiquette-wise, I'd think anybody grinding on a single level should have no grounds for complaint if somebody else wants to go past them (and kills a few things on their way to the next level). The prospective passer should of course check with the passee to see whether they intend to progress through the dungeon, or will just be staying on one level. On the other hand, nobody should occupy a level indefinately (especially a small one). If you know somebody else wants to hunt somewhere you've already cleared once, you should prepare to move on.

This isn't as cut and dried as it used to be, and I realize it may create more conflicts than there were under the old system where if you saw the entrance to a level had been cleared, etiquette demanded that you leave. Unfortunately, with the quick respawns, it's not obvious that the level is occupied, and the prior occupant shouldn't assume that somebody showing up unexpectedly is an asshole out to steal their hunting grounds.

Rusty's initial suggestion (auto notification of other players on the map) has merit. Maybe could be a reciprocal message, so players already on the map are notified "xxxx has entered the map" in a distinctive color of text? /lock seems to be: a) harder to implement, b) potentially abusable by assholes who just want to shut down a map (somebody could camp at the entrance to DF for hours out of spite), c) disallows negotiated sharing of levels (3+ players could easily share the first level of DF if they agreed to)
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

WbBann wrote:I LIKE BEING A ROGUE BUT WE NEED MORE HEALTH I DON'T WANT TO GET STRENGTH LIKE FIGHTERS DO BUT I WANT JUST AS MUCH HEALTH AS THEY HAVE BECAUSE THE CLASS THAT I USE FOR GOD KNOWS WHY DOESN'T.
Quit whining. Right now. If every class was equal to every other class, that would just throw the point of classes out the window.

What rogues lack in health, they make up for in speed. And plus, you guys get stealth. Kill something, run, dissapear, repeat. QUIT FUCKING COMPLAINING.

haddiman, my level 79 rogue, can murder a level 115 jamaal relentlessly, just on account of me being faster than he is.
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

ChrisCooper wrote:
WbBann wrote:I LIKE BEING A ROGUE BUT WE NEED MORE HEALTH I DON'T WANT TO GET STRENGTH LIKE FIGHTERS DO BUT I WANT JUST AS MUCH HEALTH AS THEY HAVE BECAUSE THE CLASS THAT I USE FOR GOD KNOWS WHY DOESN'T.
Quit whining. Right now. If every class was equal to every other class, that would just throw the point of classes out the window.

What rogues lack in health, they make up for in speed. And plus, you guys get stealth. Kill something, run, dissapear, repeat. QUIT FUCKING COMPLAINING.

haddiman, my level 79 rogue, can murder a level 115 jamaal relentlessly, just on account of me being faster than he is.
maybe jamaal sucks? my lvl91 dyion can murder haddiman rentlessly. (hell doesn't help when you run away, stealth, run away, stealth just to get on my nerves).

Also why do you think everything is pvp? I don't care about pvp, I was talking about pve! Try attacking a shadowwarrior as a rogue, now try as a fighter... whos got a BETTER CHANCE?!
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Ok. You know what even's out the fighter/rogue disadvantage bullshit? Dual vampyric shortswords.

Fighter does more damage, has more hp, but is slower.

Rogue does less damage, has less hp, but can do 4 times the damage a fighter does in the same amount of time, allowing him to gain his hp back completely.

And no, a fighter and rogue of the same level, with the right equipment, have a pretty equal chance of killing a shadow warrior.

EDIT:

And even if they don't have an equal chance, so fucking what? Do you expect to have the same abilities as a fighter, WHILE HAVING STEALTH, BACKSTAB, AND ATTACKING AT THE SPEED OF FUCKING SOUND?

LAST EDIT I PROMISE:

And yeah, if you ask most players, they'll tell you that rogues and mages do WAAAAAY better PvM.

Fighters might have a lot of hp and damage, but they're slow! An army of minotaurs/mino shamans can kill a level 75 fighter, just on account of his inability to kill more than 2 minotaurs every 5 seconds!

Why do you think more than half of our playerbase is made up of rogues/mages? THEY ALL HAVE FIGHTER ALTS WHO THEY JUST DIDN'T WANT TO STRAIN THEMSELVES TO TRAIN!
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

ChrisCooper wrote:Ok. You know what even's out the fighter/rogue disadvantage bullshit? Dual vampyric shortswords.

Fighter does more damage, has more hp, but is slower.

Rogue does less damage, has less hp, but can do 4 times the damage a fighter does in the same amount of time, allowing him to gain his hp back completely.

And no, a fighter and rogue of the same level, with the right equipment, have a pretty equal chance of killing a shadow warrior.

EDIT:

And even if they don't have an equal chance, so fucking what? Do you expect to have the same abilities as a fighter, WHILE HAVING STEALTH, BACKSTAB, AND ATTACKING AT THE SPEED OF FUCKING SOUND?

LAST EDIT I PROMISE:

And yeah, if you ask most players, they'll tell you that rogues and mages do WAAAAAY better PvM.

Fighters might have a lot of hp and damage, but they're slow! An army of minotaurs/mino shamans can kill a level 75 fighter, just on account of his inability to kill more than 2 minotaurs every 5 seconds!

Why do you think more than half of our playerbase is made up of rogues/mages? THEY ALL HAVE FIGHTER ALTS WHO THEY JUST DIDN'T WANT TO STRAIN THEMSELVES TO TRAIN!
cause of flurry and a vampyric weapons, a lvl 75 fighter would have to be pretty retarded to die to minotaurs.... besides my main thing for rogues was lockpicks being useless yet you act like I want rogues to be able to own the world like they used to when they first came out? pfft nah. When rogues came out they had VERY high as and hit VERY fast meaning they never missed the target and basically slaughtered anything, now THAT was overpowered.
laz
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by laz »

With the new enchanting in place, i thought of something:
- there could be a NPC, either in a secret part of a dungeon or in some place rather hard to get to, that could help players enhance their items.

Here's how i thought of it:
the player would go talk to the NPC...

-"Speak thy number!!"
-"
4"
-"
Offer me .... along with the item you whish to enhance"

... and would receive a list of items to gather, plus a price (depending on the desired level of enhancing).

Those items could be part of kill-quests (these monsters would only drop the specified items and return no xp, to prevent cheeses) or could be items for sacrifice (for a +3 enhance, would have to deliver two +4 or five +3 - thus allowing for a plate boots dex +6 to be usefull in such system).

This would allow to get items to +1, +2, etcs and still recycling the items in game.

The only difficult i am having in this idea is the success rate. It cannot always work, otherwise it could flood the game with too much enhanced items, but all items would be soulbound.

:smoke:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think I posted something about an NPC merchants located in a very difficult place that could increase an item of yours. Prices should be outrageous though, say 250k per +.

Weapons
+1 = 250k
+2 = 500k
+3 = 750k
+4 = 1million
+5 = 2.5 million
+6 = 5 million
+7 = 10 million
+8 = 25 million
+9 = 50 or 100 million.

Armour
+1 = 500k
+2 = 1 million
+3 = 2.5 million
+4 = 5 million
+5 = 10 million
+6 = 25 million

Now the sucky thing is he'll only improve the item to the next + not your choice. So it is actually going to cost you a hell of a lot more to beef up an item up to +8 than you think. Also, the item becomes "SOULBOUND" so you can't sell it. This would keep the economy within range. And who has that type of money anyway? Not very many.

-----Edit----
What the hell let me figure out some of the other enchants.

Nightvision/Magic Resistance
+1 = 500k
+2 = 1 million
+3 = 2.5 million
+4 = 5 million
+5 = 10 million

Vigour/Stats
+1 = 5k
+2 = 10k
+3 = 15k
+4 = 20k
+5 = 25k
+6 = 30k
+7 = 35k
+8 = 40k
+9 = 45k
+10 = 50k
+11 = 60k
+12 = 70k
+13 = 80k
+14 = 90k
+15 = 100k
+16 = 125k
+17 = 150k
+18 = 175k
+19 = 200k
+20 = 250k
+21 = 300k
+22 = 400k
+23 = 500k
+24 = 750k
+25 = 1million
Last edited by Keighn on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think it is easier to just use a gold standard. So say you find an addy Staff+1 you would have to pay for each progression to get it up to a decent level.

i.e. starts as +1 addy staff = 0 payment as you own it already.
+2 = 500k
+3 = 750k
+4 = 1million
+5 = 2.5 million
+6 = 5 million
+7 = 10 million
+8 = 25 million
---------------------------------
For a grand total of 39,250,000 gp you'd have to pay to get that thing up to +8.
ZUPS!!!!