Butcher guide - the most broken class

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Butcher guide - the most broken class

Post by Comet »

This post was partially inspired by the peasant challenge in weekly pd.

This is a guide for those who, instead of being classic adventurers, instead follow a higher calling- the life of a butcher. These legendary masters seek to butcher and prepare all the various beasts of Sosaria, and in the process, gain some of the beasts' powers.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE
Butcher's Knife: This is a tool for cooking. Take good care of your tools, don't break them by using them as weapons
(strikethrough)Meat Skewer: butchers don't use meat skewers

Pan: Great for making tons and tons of omelettes. Other recipes tend to use rarer ingredients, so don't come into play as often.

Baking Dish: The baking dish is actually the second most important tool in a butcher's arsenal, believe it or not. Roasting meat provides some nice benefits.

Weapon: Butchers use weapons? More on that below...

FOOD FIGHTING
All Butchers have moderate experience in the old art of food fighting, though not at the same level as in the more violent past. Back in the early days all fighters were also trained in the combat art of food and misc items. Improvised weapons used to be considered longswords, so you could, for example, flurry with a tomato. Sadly, these esoteric fighting arts have been lost over time. Modern butchers live a much more peaceful existence, and thus are unable to build rage or use rage specials when wielding food.

Meats are actually tinted with weapon tints. This gives them their color. For instance, the meat of a green dragon is tinted silver, which is why you traditionally see green dragon hunting vampires. In addition to being tinted, meat often grants +2 to a stat, eg. str, dex, int, vig, NV, MR, or AS(as in +2 weapon). You can then wield it to gain the stat boost/dmg boost. This makes monster meat one of the best improvised weapons around, along with ingots of attack. But this is a guide to being a butcher, not a blacksmith.

Here is a list of various meats and their abilities:
Rat:
vamp, +2 weap

Giant rat:
no vis tint, +2 weap

Rabbit
veno, +2 dex

Chicken
veno, +2 nv

Turkey
crystal, +2 dex

Cow:
gold, nothing else apparent

Clam:
vamp, +2 nv

Sea horse:
blackrock, +2 weap

Giant squid:
no vis tint, +2 str

Shark:
blackrock, +2 str

Gazer:
diamond, nothing else apparent

Fire lizard:
vamp, +2 int

Vampire:
Absolutely nothing. (makes sense, because it's basically the corpse of a humanoid. Don't you know that vampires turn to dust when you kill them? Are you sure that man you slaughtered was actually a vampire?)

Spectral Reaper:
Crystal (gives 10 magic resistance), +2 vig

Devil:
Adamantium, +2 vig

Daemon:
Diamond, +2 weapon

Hydra:
No vis tint, +2 weap

Nightmare:
vampyric, +2 mr

Evil Bunny:
no visible tint, +3 vig

Drake:
Glass, +2 vig. Doesn't make for an effective weapon (Shatters without instakill)

Blue Dragon:
Glass, +2 int.

Green Dragon:
Silver, +2 AS (as in +2 weap)

Black dragon:
Copper, +2 str

Red Dragon:
no visible tint, +2 str

Ice dragon:
Adamantium, +2 MR
BUTCHERMANCY: Some of the above meats are actually not bad as weapons, though improvised weapons still have terrible dps.By utilizing his professional butchery skills, the butcher can further bring out the raw magical flavors of his ingredients. Just make sure not to char your food- the powers aren't as great. But what are you, a novice?

Roasting meat multiplies the stat boost by 17 when wielding it (+34 weapon is capped to +9, as usual). Just don't burn it, charring it only multiplies the stat boost by 9. In doing so, some weapons immediately stand out. Roasted rat, for instance, is now a vamp +9 weapon. Where this gets truly crazy, however, is with Ice Dragon (addy, MR +2) and Nightmare (vamp, MR +2) meat. Roasting the meat of these monsters grants an incredible 34 MR (680 magic resistance), more than twice as much as the much coveted Estorrath's Vestments. Sidenote: Ha, you thought this class was a joke, didn't you?

RACE
Choose whatever you want with race. I just put this here to say that no, you can't dual wield ice dragon meat as a half troll. Nice try.

MULTICLASSING
Though being a full time butcher is a lot of work, lots of butchers often find themselves also taking a secondary job with an adventuring class, to help with gathering ingredients. After all, to a butcher, freshness of meat is essential.

Monk: The ascetic path is one that chefs often find themselves drawn to for utility + aspects.

Priest: Probably the best secondary (as usual). It follows from monk that lots of chefs also find themselves devoted as priests, healing the sick and running soup kitchens in their spare time.

Necro: Despite living successful lives as seasoned butchers, occasionally some will find themselves drawn to the unsavory arts of the undead, for the main reason of increasing their hitpoints.

Fighter: The path taken by traditional butchers is not longer as good, since improvised weapons no longer are considered longswords.

EARLY LEVELS:
Being a good butcher is not something you are simply born into. You must first be initiated in Nord Jail, just like necromancers. Seek the Gremlin in nord jail and he will teach you the ancient Sosarian art of cooking. As soon as possible, roast the rat corpse you just butchered and wield it. The +9 vamp somewhat counters the poor dps of improvised weapons. Priest butchers who can heal themselves and would prefer to increase their damage output should seek to find the legendary sea horse next, for blackrock +9. From then on it is more or less a great quest to master your cooking skills and hunt for the mythical nightmare/ice dragon. With 680 extra MR and a vamp/addy weapon you can easily start hunting things at much lower levels than other classes.

SOLO HUNTING:
Your damage output is pretty bad compared to other classes, lacking spells or rage specials. Despite getting vamp or blackrock +9 weapons, the base dps of improvised weapons is still pretty awful. However, you can fight tougher monsters than most.

PARTY HUNTING:
With their incredibly high mr, Butchers can make good tanks in the mid to high levels. However, the 70/30 str/dex ratio means less hp than a fighter.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Now that I'm posting this bug, I'm kind of sad to see it go. This is a bug that had escaped player attention ever since the cooking skill was added to EUO, around a decade ago. Not that I've known about this for that long. I only found out about roasting meat recently.

Butcher class used to be more OP though - you could wield meat as a fighter weapon, and back then +34 weapons weren't capped.

I wish there was something that had a flavor and mechanic like this- It's like a 70/30 melee focused fighter/explorer. It would be cool if there was a class that gained abilities by hunting down different monsters. Like a ranger, though relying on melee.
eggmceye
hello

Re: Butcher guide - the most broken class

Post by eggmceye »

no reason to fix anything ... the base dmg of any improv wep is 1d2 I think - so they are pretty awful. the only circumstance it would get fixed if improv weapons, like peasant build, became a a real thing, in that they got improved/revamped somehow. but I'm not sure they need that. improv weapons are & should be a shitty u/a, and besides, they get the stat bonus, so everything is fine
Onyxt

Post by Onyxt »

eggmceye wrote:Image

no reason to fix anything ... the base dmg of any improv wep is 1d2 I think - so they are pretty awful. the only circumstance it would get fixed if improv weapons, like peasant build, became a a real thing, in that they got improved/revamped somehow. but I'm not sure they need that. improv weapons are & should be a shitty u/a, and besides, they get the stat bonus, so everything is fine
Statues do similar things too. I think one of the phoenix poses gives a couple thousand MR.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

does anyone use it tho?
you can one equip as weapon, not even offhand and certainly as not as a body piece, so while cheesy, not particularly game breaking, right?
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

I think the only niche use it has is if you are a priest wielding this to tank while healing your dragon pet. But of course if you are wielding an improvised weapon you can't use tanking, which in many cases is better. Even with the correct statue the max MR boost you can get is +50 MR.

Fun fact: I did some experiments with statues- it is very similar monster meat since it relies on same information. With meat, base it is tinted and gives +2 to a stat, Charred it gives +18, and Roasted +34. It's the exact same with Statues, which are tinted, but works in frames. Frame 1 gives +2 to a stat(or nothing like with meat), frame 2 gives +18, frame 3 +34, and frame 4 + 50(!). This is in increments of 16. For monsters that can be butchered, the tint and stat bonus matches meat exactly, so for instance blue dragon meat is glass and gives +2 int, same thing with a blue dragon statue. Amusingly, statues have level requirements, so frame 4 ice dragon/phoenix is MR + 50 which needs you to be level 125000. You can still wield it though X-D .
Onyxt

Post by Onyxt »

eggmceye wrote:does anyone use it tho?
you can one equip as weapon, not even offhand and certainly as not as a body piece, so while cheesy, not particularly game breaking, right?
I doubt its game breaking just amusing; could even call it lore. The essence of the monster still lingers so touching it imbues you with some power. Even though its not practical.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I would never have guessed any of this did anything. ZOIKS & 1/2 x ZOWIE WOW WOW!
Last edited by Keighn on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

This is the most amazing post ever.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

My only real bugfix reaction to this is that maybe the mr bonus should be capped
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Swinging statue around with 1 hand should game-breaking :p
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

2x4 should turn you into a chicken and stun werewolves then put them into a huge rage!

DO DA DO DA!!!
ZUPS!!!!
speed
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by speed »

- - - - - - Guide to Statue Weapons - - - - - -

TLDR: the code for the statue/meat overlaps with the code that determines a weapon's stats.

Eclipse and I decided to do a few tests to see how statues and roasted meat work.
Sorry in advance for the awful color scheme.

- - - - - - Explanation - - - - - -
Comet wrote:... so frame 4 ice dragon/phoenix is MR + 50 which needs you to be level 125000. You can still wield it though X-D .
The code for a statue is: 0xABBB545
A = The frame of the statue (0,1,2,3). This is changed via a wand of statue orientation.
BBB = The monster code. The code for a phoenix is 2a6. The code for a goblin is 200. etc.
545 = This is the item code for a statue.

When a petrification wand is used, 545 is tacked onto the end of the base monster code, and a random frame is closed for the first digit. Since hybrids require two monster codes (0x4AAABBB), only the bottom monster of a hybrid becomes a statue.

The code for a weapon is: 0xAABCDDD
AA = The +. (ex. If you had a ring of int +15, AA would be 0f, which is hexadecimal for 15)
Because pretty much every monster code is 2 _ _ or 3 _ _ , AA can only go up to 50 or 51
B = The Buff type. (ex. 1 = attack, a, = MR buff)
C = The Tint. (ex. 9 = leeching, a = venomous, e = adamantium)
DDD = The Item Code. (ex. 545 = statue, 529 = healing ward, 010 = machete)

Due to the overlap, when a statue is equipped in the main hand, it gives weapon effects based on its code.

- - - - - - A Few Examples - - - - - -
Onyxt wrote:Statues do similar things too. I think one of the phoenix poses gives a couple thousand MR.
Petrifying a phoenix (2a6) would give a statue with an item code 0x#2a6545.
As an weapon, the phoenix would have the code 0x#2a6545.
The + would be either +02, +12, +22, or +32 (in base 10, this would be 2, 18, 34, 50)
The buff would be Magic Resistance
The tint would be Silver
And thus, a 4th frame phoenix statue would be a silver statue of MR + 50.
This gives 1000 MR, though tanking stance is often better

Petrifying a demi-lich (29a) would give a statue with an item code 0x#29a545.
As an weapon, the demi-lich would have the code 0x#29a545.
The + would be either +02, +12, +22, or +32 (in base 10, this would be 2, 18, 34, 50)
The buff would be Leeching
The tint would be Venomous
And thus, a 4th frame demi-lich statue would be a venomous statue of leeching + 50.
Yes, this does restore 51 mana on every hit, but is otherwise rather useless. Good for magic training, perhaps?

Petrifying a blood drake (34b) would give a statue with an item code 0x#34b545.
As an weapon, the phoenix would have the code 0x#34b545.
The + would be either +03, +13, +23, or +33 (in base 10, this would be 3, 19, 35, 51)
The buff would be Dexterity
The tint would be Vampyric
And thus, a 2nd frame blood drake statue would be a vampyric statue of dexterity + 19.
The + of the statue seems to be limited at 127, not 255

List of Buffs
  • 0 = None
  • 1 = Attack (capped at +9)
  • 2 = Intelligence
  • 3 = Strength
  • 4 = Dexterity
  • 5 = Vigour
  • 6 = Nightvision
  • 7 = Defense
  • 8 = Enchanted *(See below)
  • 9 = Leeching
  • a = Magic Resistance
List of Tints
  • 0 = None
  • 1 = Steel
  • 2 = Iron
  • 3 = Oak
  • 4 = Brass
  • 5 = Bone
  • 6 = Silverleaf
  • 7 = Ash
  • 8 = Zinc
  • 9 = Diamond
  • a = Venomous
  • b = Vampyric
  • c = Ebony
  • d = Glass
  • e = Adamantium
  • f = Crystal

- - - - - - The Meat Phenomena - - - - - -

The butcher class works on the same principle.

The code for meat is: 0xABBB536
A = The status of the meat (0,1,2). 0 = normal, 1 = charred, 2 = roasted.
BBB = The monster code.
536 = This is the item code for meat.

Following this logic:
A piece of meat with code 0x12aa536 is a charred undead warrior. Wielding it would act as a venomous meat of MR + 18.
A piece of meat with code 0x223c536 is a roasted grenade. Yikes. Wielding it would act as a blackrock meat of str + 34.
A roasted evil bunny (358) would act as a zinc meatof vig +35.
A roasted gazer (299) would act as a diamond meat of leeching +34.
And thus, the mystery behind butchermancy is solved

- - - - - - A Few Final Notes - - - - - -

Thanks to LordMortiferous for his explanation on tints in the scripting threads:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3920&start=200#p84184
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2657&start=80#p93020
Also, thanks to Eclipse for discovering the true properties of roasted meat.

If you want to find monster codes, an easy way to do so would be through the spawners list in maped.
Alternatively, you can locate monsters.txt in EUO -> sdat. This file comes with installing maped iirc.
Or, you can type in test codes in the URL at http://euotopia.com/plyr/av.php?c=42c62c1 (Good for testing hybrids)

*Eclipse has a follow up post with a few examples of enchants.
-Speed(COG) = [Grandmaster Stafffighter idk...]
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Addendum: It Gets Worse...
Make sure to read Speed's post above

One of the things Speed mentioned was that in weapons, the buff type was determined in the third digit of the weapon.
List of Buffs
  • 0 = None
    1 = Attack (capped at +9)
    2 = Intelligence
    3 = Strength
    4 = Dexterity
    5 = Vigour
    6 = Nightvision
    7 = Defense
    8 = Enchanted
    9 = Leeching
    a = Magic Resistance
Hmm... Enchanted? That wouldn't work, would it? But we tried to experiment anyways. We assumed that the first two digits, which normally determine buff amount, would instead determine the id of the spell being cast.

Well sure enough...

Fun with Magic Statues

Wait a second, pink daemon has a mob ID of 281, doesn't it? that would be 0xYA81 when petrified, where Y is the frame.

Looking up spells with those ids...
  • 02 = Mani (minor heal)
    12 = Sanct Lor (invis)
    22 = Vas Sanct Lor (greater invis)
    32 = Backstab
It works! :twisted:
...Kind of. Some weird things are going on. Sanct Lor and VSL work perfectly, occasionally turning you invisible as you hit. Backstab sadly says "incorrect weapon type" and fails, meaning no 10x damage for you (sidenote: Machete enchanted with backstab would be the most OP weapon ever). Mani? That doesn't work either. It seems like frame 1 spell ID is messed up since it begins with a 0. So instead of calling spell 2, which is Mani, it calls some other mystery spell - A spell with the XMP sprite, that deals close to XC damage... I'm going to guess Blood Drain (though it doesn't heal you like vamp attacks).

More Statues!

There are a couple more mobs that we can use. The 1st shadowkin av is 38F and can be found easily at ToLS. Lots of plant sprites are in the 58x range and are spawned by Dionea.

Statue (Shadowkin Fighter)
  • Frame 1: Mystery
    Frame 2: XC (kill)
    Frame 3: VAM (greater harm)
    Frame 4: Cleave
It's too bad that the frame 1 spell is a little weird, otherwise the spell it called would be Vas Mani, or greater heal. Instead, it's enchanted with OG4 (directional lightning) for some reason. Everything else checks out, and once again cleave says "incorrect weapon type"

Statue (Planted Seed)
INCOMPLETE
  • Frame 1: Mystery
    Frame 2: An Corp(resurrect)
    Frame 3: IJO (Mana Burn)
    Frame 4: Flurry
This one is a little weird, and I didn't have time to fully experiment with it. Planted Seed is originally an item, and has 1 frame. After some testing I found that the Mystery Spell was hex.

However, I was experimenting with a bunch of plant statues from Dionea, and out of the blue I one of the statues triggered rapid bleed. I wasn't sure which one it was, and I haven't been able to reproduce the effects. I'm speculating that before I used the statue orientation wand, it randomly had a frame # from 0-3, where the mystery bleed happened, and after zapping it the frame changed to 0 and stayed that way, leaving it only enchanted with hex. However, I could be totally wrong. The mystery continues...

Thanks to Onyxt for letting us know that phoenix statues gave MR, without it this whole experiment would have never happened.
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

You goddamn lunatics LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

:ymca: the best thread :aus:
Tink

Post by Tink »

Only on EUO forums.. :geek:
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

revenge of the nerds strike again.
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

That is just great and ingenious.
Good work guys!!

Statues of plant seeds.... some people have weird ideas :D

Edit: Frame 1 of a seed does hex for me. I tested it this with 0x581545.
Comet wrote: It seems like frame 1 spell ID is messed up since it begins with a 0.
0x0281545 is the same as 0x281545. Zeros behind the x will be omitted. However, it sure is weird how frame 1 statues behave when they are enchanted.
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

This was sooooo nice to read.
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

What about cursed items?