druid thread

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: druid thread

Post by Keighn »

While i can can't play presently, i was wondering if wallop stuns a few seconds (think diablo 2 shield bash that knockbacked and stunned to keep a few mobs off you. Is it 1 opponent or does it get more powerful where you knock back quite a few? Monk/druid looks to be fun.
Azalynn
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Azalynn »

I playtested druids at 1k on alpha i can 100% agree hydra is entirely underwhelming. Its such a cool idea but i think OG is the wrong move. OG is awkward to use as well, but directional spells have never been my thing. Also, as with croc form, there is no reason to not play a fighter with an enchanted weapon. It can perform almost the same actions, damage wise. But also fighters hit significantly harder at equal level. I talk ALOT about clear speed, from a grinding perspective i found myself being more annoyed than immersed in the combat with druid. I love the idea of druids but clear speed isnt great, the switching forms is alright, but its just not good enough to play at a high level of play.

Everyone and their mothers is going to say VOG for hydra and keep them as casters but then they just become a different type of mage, with the same spell that you spam in aoe. I think we can all be a little more creative on what we would like to see. :-S But they arent wrong, it needs something. Something that isnt an exact copy of a mage. haha
Regular
Thrall

PD
Thrall
Azalynn
Zyth
Tyrande
Azmodan
Elias
Az
Ass - LOTL
Zyth - LOTL
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Ok, I'm not contributing much ideas wise in this post, but I'd just like to say that I really like the druid class flavor wise, regardless of how incomplete it is right now. It has the potential to be so fun to play, with the right tweaks. I do think the movement speed for zorn and croc form should be increased though. Aren't crocs fast?
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Here are two more bugs I found that are kind of amusing/harmful with the druid class.

Polymorph:

-Spamming polymorph to a form with more hp (thanks to respecing) causes you to continually gain hp in an attempt to scale you to your new hp total. The game eventually fixes when you're over max hp, but by spamming croc form I was able to get 1.6 million hp before it reset, causing the hp displayed on my red hp bar to overflow and go negative.

-Ditto with a form that has less hp that your base. Now, everytime I polymorph I lose hp. If you try to polymorph at 1 hp (ie just after res) you suddenly die, as it rounds your hp to 0 when it scales your hp down. There's no death sound or anything, you're just dead. No death message if in a party. As a bonus, you can still press X to unpolymorph, and if you had mountainwalk on (due to zorn bug), you keep it. Normally neither of those happen when dead.

Speak with Plants:

I put a spoiler tag in case you want to figure out some Speak with Plants secrets on your own.
Spamming speak with plants on the same dead tree will eventually crash the server. Tested twice just to confirm. Casting speak with plants on tons of different dead trees does not cause the server to crash.

Useless info about speak with plants:

-Casting speak with plants on the dead tree above the dead forest entrance doesn't summon a ghost if you're standing on the entrance forest. Step off the entrance and you can summon ghosts as normal.

-In a dungeon, ghosts spawn with random weapons. I used speak with plants on dead forest and got a crazy amount of unenchanted weapons in no time at all. With a decon wand, this makes druids the best 'miners'.

-One of the trees in the lost Jungle map (a single tree tile) is unaffected by the Speak with Plants spell, even while the neighboring trees are. The tree is located in a cow pen by the crushing walls.

-doesn't work on orc's desert cactus men.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the directional lightning is meant to be a twitchy, more physical way to do a lightning, rather than just mashing a single key

it gains its value from fun rather than fast xp
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Here are what I think are the two best druid multiclasses:

'RANGER' (Druid/Rogue): Completely broken.
Stats: As a normal rogue, maybe with some int for mana.
Weapons: Dual Machetes or Musket/Crossbow. Polymorph sets your machete/musket attack speed to .4 seconds. Dual wield makes you hit 30% faster. You will be hitting incredibly fast for full machete damage each hit. Wielding a musket when polymorphed turns it into a machine gun. Takes less than 2 seconds to reach full rage.

Forms:
Mothra form: Seriously, I so underestimated mothra form at first. Combine entangle with super fast sleepwind and you have a mob stunlocked permanently. No penalty to casting speed with a non staff when polymorphed, so equip a machete and backstab away once you get sleepwind to work. There is absolutely no possibility for retaliation if you do it correctly (start stealthed, cast entangle then sleepwind as needed, backstab when it's sleeping and entangled, then wisp form while it still can't move). Actually, backstab+entangle might be better.

Croc form: Tanky combat form. Despite unoptimal stats, still does tons of damage, partly because you get that extra attack, and partly because polymorph dual wield machetes is broken. Str gives nice hp boost.

Hydra form: Did you ever want to fight as a pure caster? You can do that too. Hidden benefit: Don't have the MR for those dragons yet? switch to Hydra and enjoy a nice MR boost.

Wisp form: Invis and teleport are just nice spells to have. Invis after backstab is pretty useful.

'ARCHDRUID' (Druid/Priest): Powerful, but not broken. Pretty awesome flavorwise. I consider this the most well rounded and powerful druid. Druid/Fighter is good too, but in my opinion priest synergizes better. The priest has more to gain, as it fixes its low dps problem. Fighters are usually spamming wallop, so there isn't much room for spells in combat.
Stats: As a normal priest.
Weapons: Blessed Greatmaul.

Forms:
Croc: I don't recommend croc for this build because you'll lose hp going down to a 50/50 str/dex ratio.

Mothra: You can spam sleepwind while hitting things with your mace, which is nice for extra damage and crowd control. Sleepwind before a thunderclap seems pretty powerful.

Zorn: For nonflying mobs, this is Amazing. The damage doesn't seem based on your int, so adding tons of free damage with your super fast greatmaul attacks makes you do scary amounts of damage to groups.

Random observation: I noticed plague of insects is a great way to line monsters up for lightning (as is confusion spell). Maybe give druids something similar?

Conclusion: Currently I think the druid is really good as a 'secondary' class. I put that in quotes because dualclasses with druid take a completely different playstyle than any of the two classes. Of course, it probably needs a lot of changes at this stage to balance polymorph, and make the caster druid more relevant. The druid spell list isn't complete, so I'm not too worried about caster druids, honestly.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Followup post: Nerfing polymorph with slow weapons equipped.

-Only 'natural' weapons can be wielded when a druid polymorphs. This includes all staves, clubs, and slings, since they're nonmetal. Daggers and tomahawks are also simple enough. Crossbows and Muskets are too technological for a druid, but shortbows and longbows are different. Attack speed for bows should be calculated differently, since they hit so much slower. Of course the list of allowed weapons can be expanded in the future, but for now this should be a good change.

problem: Would dragon form on mage list be affected by this?
solution: Change VYR completely. No mage uses it, and mages really need some changes.
Azalynn
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Azalynn »

Comet wrote:Here are what I think are the two best druid multiclasses:

'RANGER' (Druid/Rogue): Completely broken.
Stats: As a normal rogue, maybe with some int for mana.
Weapons: Dual Machetes or Musket/Crossbow. Polymorph sets your machete/musket attack speed to .4 seconds. Dual wield makes you hit 30% faster. You will be hitting incredibly fast for full machete damage each hit. Wielding a musket when polymorphed turns it into a machine gun. Takes less than 2 seconds to reach full rage.

Forms:
Mothra form: Seriously, I so underestimated mothra form at first. Combine entangle with super fast sleepwind and you have a mob stunlocked permanently. No penalty to casting speed with a non staff when polymorphed, so equip a machete and backstab away once you get sleepwind to work. There is absolutely no possibility for retaliation if you do it correctly (start stealthed, cast entangle then sleepwind as needed, backstab when it's sleeping and entangled, then wisp form while it still can't move). Actually, backstab+entangle might be better.

Croc form: Tanky combat form. Despite unoptimal stats, still does tons of damage, partly because you get that extra attack, and partly because polymorph dual wield machetes is broken. Str gives nice hp boost.

Hydra form: Did you ever want to fight as a pure caster? You can do that too. Hidden benefit: Don't have the MR for those dragons yet? switch to Hydra and enjoy a nice MR boost.

Wisp form: Invis and teleport are just nice spells to have. Invis after backstab is pretty useful.
I didnt try this but this is the ultimate glass cannon build. I will test it when i get home but instead of rogues in the future getting a button to able to survive, maybe just maybe this is the answer to their clear speed? It may seem broken but you still can get oneshot as a rogue, and it happens often if youre playing any sort of aggressive. This is intriguing. :)

***As almost an excusive PD player, this is my opinion from a 1k perspective***
Regular
Thrall

PD
Thrall
Azalynn
Zyth
Tyrande
Azmodan
Elias
Az
Ass - LOTL
Zyth - LOTL
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

instead of worrying about weapon speed, I can just disable the fixed attack speed that the (druid) poly forms have, because that came before the idea of poly forms even using weapons, and that maybe that is totally incompatible
(needs a patch unfortunately so not easy to test - but I think it's the fix)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

re spamming speak w plants on dead trees
I tried it, and I don't see how it could crash the server: maybe just fill your screen with garbage. Could you be more specific with the symptoms? in any case, it might need some restrictions. there is no point to it tho, it's just flavour. maybe 1/10 chance to summon a ghost ....
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think treant form would be cool
and that wisps can't attack is a good idea

there are a lot of good ideas in this thread

ps have fixed
* mountainwalk hanging around between polys
* health going nuts when spam same poly form
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Hmmm... I just tried spamming speak with plants and I wasn't able to cause the server to crash. Screen just fills up with ghosts until there's no more room for one to spawn.

Previously what I think happened was at some point ghosts would stop spawning and then I would be unable to connect to the server for around a minute. When I relogged, I would be reset to some earlier point in time, before I summoned all the ghosts. No ghosts would be there, recent items I dropped/changed/used wouldn't be remembered, and my location would be from where I was slightly before. I tried it twice and both times this happened. Not sure what's going on now.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

sounds like it is working properly now but there should be a limit on the summoned ghosts
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

* finalized abduction/kill
* (druids) fixed mountainwalk being sticky between poly. fixed health going stupid when spam same form
* fixed shark taking dmg in hi seas. fixed mountain walk not working

and polymorph attack speed is now exactly same as for the equipped weapon when unpolymorphed
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Is abduction just an XC clone or is there more behind the scenes that I'm not aware of?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

apart from the amazing sfx it's an exact copy
Omnidescent
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Omnidescent »

When morphing to hydra, your int doesn't increase your base amount of mana, so your mana is still, yet your hp is decreased.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

What about a summon like the trees in the one map. I can't remember which sorry, but they would grab you while you walked past. Maybe they hold and taunt a single mob in an adjacent tile

I also like the idea of a whirlwind spell that does light aoe damage but locks in any mobs that crosses the threshold. Maybe has a chance of 1 sec of blind or confusion each tick. Whirlwind + HOb = death
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Wizard of Oz.... Oh wait that was apple throwing.
ZUPS!!!!
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Omnidescent wrote:When morphing to hydra, your int doesn't increase your base amount of mana, so your mana is still, yet your hp is decreased.
It also doesn't increase M/R when the int change should. I'm not sure if this is intentional.

My impression of Druid after messing with it on alpha:

+Well rounded class that can do a little bit of everything well.
+Very versatile, can be a mage or fighter pretty much.
+A useful and unique healing spell that works well.
+A class besides priest that would have no problem going 100% of without multiclassing.
+Lots of multiclass potential as well.

-Polymorph abilities feel a bit lackluster, highly situational, or just for utility (although this is probably fine).
-Water pipe should do something useful, maybe an infinite use feel great bonus that doesn't stack with galvinsing/fountains, but only gives +15% at 100% druid, +7.5% at 50% druid, etc.
IGN: 1