The Stygian Pirate Trade

EUO clan threads go here.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Continued...

Just then Sin'vrall entered the darkness with the two of them.
"How long have you known Sin'vraal, oh captain?" the Shadow Lord inquired. "He is one of my dearest followers."
The Captain was wide eyed with anger and could no longer respond to what was going on around him. Indeed things were moving quickly. Next thing he knew the crew was surrounding him. They all stared empty stares at their old captain and slowly began to morph into beings of a smoky ghost like appearance. Just then Sin'vraal turned to the Shadow Lord.
"My lord. We had a deal that if I turned this pathetic follower of Faulinei to you you would give me control of the Ship and crew. How can this be if you turn them into soulless shadow warriors? Everyone knows they exist only to protect Shadow Lords. Am I now privileged to share such treatment?" asked the traitorous bastard. The Shadow Lord laughed again.
"Hell no, you sniveling twit. You only summoned me. Our deal was simply my way of amusing myself at your wretched cunning, but it will not stand. The crew will be my personal guards now, and you.. well. You can have the ship I suppose. I don't want it."

Lightning struck and the glow of the candles turned into the glimmer of lanterns on the rain that cascaded mercilessly down on the ship. The captain was sprawled out on the deck of the ship as it tossed in the waves, and felt as if he had just fallen out of his bed and awoken from a bad dream. As he looked around though he saw none of his men. It was all real. Whatever was to happen now, he could only guess. Across the ship stumbled Sin'vraal. He stood up and did his best to keep a footing not noticing the captain had already done so and was charging towards him in a rage. They collided and the old devil yelped.

"We've both been cheated!" he pleaded.
"You by the Lord of Hatred, but me? YOU betrayed me Sin'vraal!" The captain threw the devil into a corner and made his way to the wheel to try and take control of the ship. Without the rest of the crew the effort was almost entirely useless, but the deadly reefs of Dagger Isle would be upon them soon, so long as they were still where he assumed they were, and he would at least make an effort to save The Sinistar.

"It's no use! The ship is going down you stupid orc. It's too late for us both."

And Sin'vraal was right. His beloved ship was doomed, and his friends were gone. Soon only the open sea was before our poor captain. he was being towed about by the tides of dark waters on part of the remains of his ship. After all the struggling and several hours of simply staying afloat the Captain couldn't help but to succumb to sleep, knowing full well that he may never awake.

--------------------

After what seemed to be an eternity of sleep he did indeed awaken on the shores of a green and lush cliff side. It was early morning and the sun was just rising over the hills. Much to his horror though he heard the same sickening cold voice of the Shadow Lord.

"Ruining your life was fun, oh captain. Now let's see what you can make of yourself in the land of New Sosaria. It's a dark shard of reality where mankind gives an appearance of paying honor to the virtues. But in reality I hold dominion. Astaroth's shadow runs deep here you will find." The captain's eyes then rolled back into his head and he fell again into a deep sleep.

This time when he awoke it was late evening. The sunset was breathtaking over the ocean and a melancholy tune hung beautifully over the sandy beach. After working up the strength to move, the captain rolled over to see a man sitting under the shade of a tree further up the beach near the cliffs. In his hands was the guitar from which the music he was hearing came. For a moment the song made him feel like again returning to sleep but a strong hunger was nagging at him. So he simply lay there like a beached whale staring blankly at the bard as he played his tune. After a bit the man noticed the scruffy looking orc had awakened and sauntered over.

"You look hungry as hell my friend"
The Captain could not reply.
"Come on. Let's get you a good meal. I'm a bard. I live by m guitar. A man of revolution. Change. They call me 'the haddi-man' ...hell if I know what that means. Most don't like the things I have to say, so I make music about it. Still I'm a pretty hated guy in these parts. No worries though. I'm not a complete jackass. I will take you to health."
The Captain still looked on in silence as he lay there on the beach.
"You look like shit you big orc. How'd you end up like this?"
Still silence.
"No matter... I can -"
"I'm a pirate." the captain finally managed to spit out.
"Well then I can respect that." said the haddi-man. He then stooped over and looked the orc in the eye "In fact that's something I've been interesting in trying my hand at for some time now."
The captain found his strength and stood up on the beach. He had that crazy kind of look like a grizzly bear who'd lost it's cub. A dull and steady fire now burned in his eyes. The sand caked on his fur and made him into a grotesquely monstrous shape against the orange sunset.
"That's good. Because I'm in need of a crew."
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

I

AM

SINISTARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daemon
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Daemon »

Almost as many as 0 people have asked me the following question.

Q. If Avery is a pirate, why is he with the Izumi Adventurers' Guild not the Stygian Pirate Trade?

A. Read on.

It wasn't usual for Avery to wander too far away from the ship. You could be forgiven for thinking he enjoyed the companionship of the crew, even though they were, to a man, a scurvy-ridden bunch of lowlifes. No, it wasn't that he found them compelling, or friendly, or even entertaining. He found them dangerous, and when people spoke of Avery in taverns, he wanted to be listed as someone not to mess with.

Sadly, this just wasn't true.

Not strong of body, only wit, Avery often found himself in potentially lethal situations. He could easily tell of a dozen occasions where a drunken oaf had him cornered against a rough stone wall, and no amount of snappy rejoinders saved him from a thorough beating. As for the fiercer creatures of the land, Avery knew to stand behind anything else nearby that may provide cover or a distraction, hoping the odd stray shot from his ill-wielded short bow would cause the creature to reconsider its bloodlust.

So, the crew filled the role of cover and a cover story. Let them stand tall to the monsters. Let them speak of how Avery was there when they slaughtered the merchants, the nobles, the innocents...

...and, at that thought, Avery took a long sigh.

Yo ho, yo ho, it's out of the pirate's life for Avery.

It wasn't usual for Avery to wander too far away from the ship. But he was never going back. Not another bloody mark would stain his hands, or his conscience.

---

Leaving a band of pirates was generally considered a dangerous move. Few would commit to plundering lightly, all the while learning the murderous secrets of men so despised that the land itself would only accept them for brief periods before exiling them seawards once more.

Indeed, to run away with the knowledge of men's dark hearts was risky. To also run away with more than a fair share of their last plunders was downright insane.

Avery vowed to not mention the last part to anyone should they ask.

His feet were always swift, but the slippery pebbles of the shore were rendered all the more perilous by the deceptive light of dusk. Odd shadows played off the jagged, grey rocks scattered around the landscape, putting Avery in mind of a giant sand dragon, its massive teeth sticking from the ground to snag unwary travellers.

Glancing further inland, Avery could see the lights of the town being lit already. There, he figured, would lie a quiet bed, and few questions as long as he paid for the silence of the inn-keeper. And, thanks to the pirates he was leaving behind, he had plenty to pay off any flapping mouths.

---

The tavern was in an uproar. Burly fishermen, their muscles honed by years of brutal labour, were taking it in turns to shake Avery, his legs held high and his head bumping repeatedly on the floor. With every bruising bounce came the clatter of more gold, silver and jewels from his pockets as they landed -- albeit briefly -- on the tavern floor. The smaller men, and the women and children of the town, were attending to gathering up every last piece of coinage that Avery once called his own.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! thought Avery to himself, between thumps.

As it went, assuming a poor town of frustrated fishers would act kindly towards a rich rogue was amongst the more foolhardy things Avery had done today. But the absolute number one foolish act was just about to catch up with him.

The doors of the tavern flew open with a deeply hollow snap as they were wrenched from their hinges. Standing in the doorway were the shadowed silhouettes of the Stygian Pirate Trade.

A more rugged and bloodthirsty bunch you could never hope to meet. Their leader -- and Avery made a point of trying not to shudder as he thought of this -- was not even a man. His blood-encrused hair, and slavering maw of fangs marked him as an orc, albeit one that could speak near as plainly as a man. Perhaps in other times, Avery would have been pleased to see the collective members of his old crew arrive. Many a time the pirates had done him the favour of leaving their beverages for a moment to threaten -- or murder -- someone causing Avery distress. But this time, they were here to murder him.

As the fishermen and other drunkards came to their senses following the shattering of their tavern's door, it took only a few moments for weapons to be drawn on both sides. The townsfolk took out cudgels, clubs and daggers from the hidden creases in their clothes. The pirates drew long, curved blades already stained with blood, and staves crackling with unnatural azure and vermilion energies. As the largest of the fishermen dropped Avery, turning his attention to the new intruders, the rogue landed heavily, bruising his back.

Never mind, considered Avery. Take advantage of the opportunity.

The pirates fought for the afront of being stolen from, and took the townsmen as accessories of the crime. The simple-minded villagers could not see beyond the treasure, and saw no reason to share it easily with such obvious strangers as these. As such, the ferocity of the fight was of an intensity that Avery was completely overlooked, giving him the opportunity to slither between the combatants' legs, aching though he was from his bruises.

Almost unable to believe his luck -- but never one to not take advantage of it -- Avery made a final mad bolt for the kitchens, where nobody would see him slip out the back door and into the quiet night.

At least that was the plan.

Pots flew everywhere as Avery stumbled around in the poorly lit kitchens, but the din went unnoticed compared to the cacophonous melee that was taking place in the main room of the tavern. Stumbling clumsily for the door, Avery dared push it open a slither, slipping out into the cool night... only to run headlong into a man a full head taller than himself. And, Avery realised too late, wearing platemail.

Landing heavily on the cobbled stones of the street, his face and backside hurting from the respective impacts, Avery looked up at the figure looming above him. He was dressed fully in a darkened metal Avery hadn't seen before, finished with a red tabbard coming down to just above the knees. Not even the man's face was visible, hidden instead behind a fully enclosed great helm. At the man's side was the largest sword Avery had ever set eyes upon.

Expecting the warrior to end him without hesitation, Avery couldn't help but flinch in anticipation of the lethal blow. Yet, it never came. Instead, the figure reached down, offering a mailed gauntlet to Avery, to help him stand. Hesitantly taking the warrior's grip, Avery stood upright once more, thanking the man breathlessly.

"'Tis not a thing," the warrior replied. "Thou seems to be in a great hurry."

"Indeed!" replied Avery quickly, knowing if he lingered too long the fight would spill out onto the street, and his predicament would resume.

"I can offer thee sanctuary," came the gravelly reply of the warrior. "Should thou find need of it."

"Indeed?" retorted Avery, ever quicker, but more with relief than urgency this time.

"Indeed," responded the man.

"Good sir," said Avery, taking the larger man by the arm, and walking him hurriedly away from the tavern, his assailants, and, sadly, all he had stolen that day. "Have you a name?"

The man paused for a moment, stopping in his tracks, before resuming, and answering simply. "Aye. I am Draevyn."
LAUGHING OUTSIDE LIKE A MORMON
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Hehe. Nice ending.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

This would be better if I had time or patience for revision.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stygian Pirates Defeat Achaed the Fire Dragon

Many stories were told of how the Stygian Pirates defeated the ancient fire dragon Achaed. The crew told stories of how the dragon was defeated by the ships cannons and the captains brute strength. Many believed that the pirates only found the corpse and that it had been The Avatar that had slain the great dragon that had been terrorizing humanity for thousands of years. The only thing that remained consistent was that the ship had the dragon in tow as it made port in Izumi. None of the stories were true, and although the dragon was killed by a Stygian Pirate, he was not at the time.

It was the worst storm the crew had ever seen, and the speed at which it appeared only proved to the crew that the storm was a creation of the devil it’s self. The clouds swirled in all directions, and the lightning traveled horizontally across the clouds. Even with the enchanted compass, the weather made it hard for the crew to keep their bearings.

A voice called down from the crow’s nest, “Captain! The weather’s getting too bad! Were not gunna make it!” Looking through the stolen enchanted binoculars, he could see a clearing in the clouds, mere miles from where. “Th- The eye of the storm! It’s in the shape of an eye! Poseidon has come for us! I told you he would want it back! Quick toss it into the sea, spare us his wra-. A bullet pierced the muscle of his leg.

“I told ya what would come if you brought your superstitions on to my ship Darkwood!” The captain shouted as he stowed away his pistol and reached to pick up the bottle he was drinking from. As the waves caused the boat to lurch, the bottle flew from the ledge it sat on, shattering on the deck. Furious, the captain grabbed his pistol and aimed at Darkwood’s other leg. Right as he pulled the trigger he shifted his aim, causing the bullet to graze Darkwood’s pants, but avoid his leg. Darkwood let out a pathetic yelp as the bullet flew past, and as the sound entered the captain’s ear he regretted not hitting the leg.

The ship was close to the eye now, and all of the crew could see its mysterious eye shape. Suddenly, as the ship was only a mile or two away, lightning from all sides surged from the clouds toward the center of the eye. The lightning roared through the center of the eye, before exploding and revealing a giant portal in the eye. Although the clouds had apparently settled some what and the lightning had stopped, the ocean waves still attacked the ship relentlessly. Then suddenly from the portal all the lightning surged from the portal and back into the clouds from where it came. Out from the portal a giant fire dragon was spewed, at least twice the size of a normal dragon.

The captain was concerned. The crew knew the sea, the sea could be overcome. The ship wasn’t meant to take on beasts, and even if the dragon flew within reach of the cannons, it would only dodge the cannon fire before igniting the ship entirely in one breath. He reached into his coat pocket for the ships only plunder from their latest excursion. The red gem still reflected light brilliantly but still showed no sign of magic and no sign of hope for the captain and his crew.

“Captain! Look!” Darkwood yelled in pain as he pointed with one arm to the dragon and used the other to put pressure on his wound. The captain hadn’t taken the time to notice but the dragon was on it’s back, plummeting down from the portal. Using his telescope he saw above the dragon there appeared to be a mage flying down after the dragon. As the dragon fell toward the sea, it swatted and breathed fire at the mage, who in return dodged and sent his own attacks flying at the dragon.

Suddenly with a large burst of white light the dragon plummeted twice as fast into the sea. Upon contact with the fire dragon the water surged in a wave that nearly toppled the ship and released a great fog, so thick the crew could no longer see anything other than themselves. Suddenly a breeze picked up from the direction of the dragon. The crew believing it to be the wings of the dragon ducked only to find the mage floating down to the ship wrapped in wind magic. The wind from the mage seemed to disperse the fog, around the ship anyway. Bleeding and slightly burnt the mage landed on his feet and limped with his staff across the deck to the captain.

“That was a mighty show of power mage.” The Captain said as he reached out and shook the mages hand. “The Stygian Pirates could use powers like yours to conquer the sea.”

“I am Eclips. Its true, but you aren’t the only pirates to try and rope a mage into their crew. But what does a mage have to gain from Piracy?” The conversation was cut short when the mage noticed the glistening in the captain’s hand and as the captain noticed the sky opening again. Tearing his eyes from the red gem Eclips turned to see the portal had reopened, and hundreds of fire dragons were pouring through. “Achaed’s offspring! Quick the gem you hold!”

The captain held the stone tightly in his grasp but held it out toward the mage hesitantly offering it to him. “We have no time for your hesitation! Give me the stone now!” Eclips shouted at the captain as he put his hand on his wound, covering it in blood. The captain threw Eclips the stone but you could see the pain in his eyes as they followed the gem in his flight through the air and into the now bloody hand of the mage. As soon as the gem came in contact with the blood in the mage’s hand it began to give off a bright red light.

The gem ripped itself from the mage’s hand and flew into the sky hovering above the mast of the ship. The gem gave a huge pulse of blinding red light and when the crew was able to see again, nothing other than the ship, its crew, the sky and the sea could be seen. The sky was completely clear and no dragons stirred in the sky and there was no sign that the storm ever existed.

The gem’s glow began to fade and it plunged downward into the mast of the ship embedding itself into the ship. Glowing red runes appeared in a circle around the base of the mast. Eyeing the runes Eclips spoke again to the captain. “Give me one year. I run a clan of mages who are not yet ready to stand on their own. In one years time I will return to this ship and the Stygian Pirates will be the most feared pirates on the seas. In exactly one years time…” The mage stopped talking and finally took his eyes from the runes. Then he bowed and like that he was gone.

The captain looked at his crew as they murmured back and forth. “The ship isn’t going to sail on your whispers! Get back to work! And fetch the nets! I want the corpse of that dragon!” The captain turned his attention to the ship’s wheel, the sly smirk of anticipation on his face didn’t leave until they reached port.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

*clap clap clap clap*
Indeed that is how it happened X-D
Paru
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

AVAST Me Hearties! Somethings a Foul!

Post by Paru »

Avaste, My fellow Pirates something most Derelict has happened! A Noble Tradition known among *ALL* pirates be it Stygian, Caribbean or even the Orients has been Forgotten this day here! Not even our lord Pirate Captian Toadie not mention it here this fine day. Even non pirates know of thy day;s event!

I speaketh of Talk like a Pirate day!
Alloutte1
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Alloutte1 »

shit son, make me die twice! omfg, evne my alt arnt safe man winner way to make :knife: a story funny....LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON but i admit it is realyl good jus tending is a little hard to :knife: follow, had to read it twice, since apparently you :knife: killed me/ :--;: .....twice :--;: // :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife: :knife:
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Hey hey hey... Thorn knew about Talk like a pirate day :o
But you're right. I feel dumb I didn't know about it :roll:

And Pendragon... Something is wrong with you. Lulz.

Man Draevyn's story is a great tribute. I only read the beginning and ending before (cos I am a wiener like that. Lawl.) but I just read the whole thing now. It's flippin cool. Makes me want to make a tribute to the Izumi Adventurer's Guild.
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

The Haddi-Man, part one

Post by ChrisCooper »

Each night, in the port town called 'Izumi', at the end of the longest dock, folk could still pass by and hear the melancholy cry of the Haddi-man's guitar.

"Mellow is the man, who knows what he's been missin'!
Many many men, can't see the open road!

Many is a word, that only keeps you guessin!
Guessin' bout' a thing, that you really oughta know!
You really oughta know.....ohh..ohh,
You really oughta know"

"Mommy! Listen to the haddi-man sing!"
"What the hell?" The bard said aloud.
The bard did not speak in anger, he was actually quite flattered to learn he had an admirer. Maybe a bit too flattered. He started to play an upbeat tune.

"WeeeeeEEEEEELL...."
"Your voice cracked" Rudely blurted the mother.
"Yeah, well you're a bitch. Hey kid, your mother doesn't even want you, she just likes the cock. You're a by-product."
The mother grabbed her child by the wrist and stormed off. The bard couldn't care any less about what the mother thought of him. She was a slut.

As night began to fall on the port, the bard had work to do. The port wasn't exactly bustling at night, so there was no money to be made as a street performer. He didn't make much money playing guitar either, despite his skill. He wasn't all that popular with the townsfolk.
"Do these guards ever fucking sleep?" Said the bard, under his breath. Knowing that his meal for tomorrow wasn't going to be handed to him, he quietly made his way aboard a docked fishing boat. He pocketed as much fish as he could carry, and made his way to the gangplank.
"The haddi-man is making off with someone's catch!" Shouted a guard.
After pausing briefly to think about how quickly the child's name had caught on, the bard outran the pursuing guards with such ease that the guards gave in, even while the haddi-man was still in sight.

The bard knew that he could no longer reside in Izumi. He left the port and started the long journey North.

"Hey look! A cliche'!"
The haddi-man had spotted a shady spot near the beach, under a tall tree. He took his guitar off of his back, sat down, and was about to start playing.
As the haddi-man began playing, he saw an orc wash up on the shore.
"Hmm. Orcs don't have pockets. Or pants."
With that in mind, he ignored the creature and began playing once more.

"OCEAN MAN, take me by the hand lead me to the land,
That you understand.
OCEAN MAN, the voyage to the corner of the globe is a real trip.

OCEAN MAN, the crust of a tan man
embibed by the sand,
Soaking up the thirst of the land
OCEAN MAN"

The haddi-guy noticed that the orc was now awake, and was staring him with the most blank expression imaginable. He could sense that the orc didn't wish any harm upon him, and he approached the beached creature.
"You look hungry as hell my friend"
The orc remained silent.
"Come on. Let's get you a good meal. I'm a bard. I live by my guitar. A man of revolution. Change. They call me 'the haddi-man' ...hell if I know what that means. Most don't like the things I have to say, so I make music about it. Still I'm a pretty hated guy in these parts. No worries though. I'm not a complete jackass. I will take you to health."
The orc just didn't do anything. The bard began to question why he was trying to conversate with an orc in the first place.
"You look like shit you big orc. How'd you end up like this?"
Still silence.
"No matter... I can -"
"I'm a pirate." the orc blurted out, without warning.
The bard paused.
"Well then I can respect that." said the haddi-man. He then stooped over and looked the orc in the eye "In fact that's something I've been interested in trying my hand at for some time now."
The orc found his strength and stood up on the beach. He had that crazy kind of look. Like a typical stupid orc. A dull and steady fire now burned in his eyes. The sand caked on his fur and made him into a grotesquely monstrous shape against the orange sunset. It was pretty creepy.
"That's good. Because I'm in need of a crew."
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

You pull off laid back and spiteful in equal huge parts so well :P I love it.
Winner
How do I attack?

Post by Winner »

I am much too lazy to revise in the part which connects why I kill Pen. It is a much better reason than just for money. Unfortunately, I am much, much too lazy. And I have a computer virus. (It's why you haven't seen me around.)

Edit: And, darn it, I would've won if you didn't extend the deadline. And I would've made mine worth competing with if I heard you extended the deadline. Funny how that works out.

Pen, you need to make more characters so I can have more characters.
Last edited by Winner on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

"Then came Mario"
~Mario
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Yo Mario.

:getout:

EDIT - Ugh. That thing didn't look the same on all computers. ...just found that out. :roll: Woops.
EDIT - Maybe this will help get across the idea a little bit more universally.

:deek:
Last edited by The Oracle on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

:owned:
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Yo, pirates. Listen. Due to recent sucky turnouts on Sunday, I'm thinking of just canceling Rolling for Gold entirely. I think it served the purpose I initially intended for it, and anyways it'll allow me to put more gold aside for other contests, and for generally helping newer members of the Trade. So unless I get some protests about it, it's done.

Yarg :twisted:
muse
BBQ ABC <3

Post by muse »

:LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON: Heheh.. you actually had the chance to use that "get out" icon!
BlackMage
I should probably get out more.

Post by BlackMage »

The Oracle wrote:Yo Mario.

┏┫  | |   ┣┓  ┏┓ 
┗┫━━ ┃  ━━┣┛  ┣┫
 ┃ ━━━━━  ┃ ┏┳┫┣┳┓
 ┗━━┳━┳━-━┛ ┃    ┃
━━━━┃ ┃ ┗━┳┳━┛

:getout:
not to intrude on your thread but... wtf is that?
"All things end in judgement."
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

God damn you guys and your useless posts in our thread.

Also I am out of town and left my record of what level everyone was last Sunday. Anyways I did my best with figuring out people's activity, but I can't say 100% for sure who leveled the most last week just yet.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Donbara! 11 levels last week! Good job. You'll get some form of treasure next time I see you for sure :rebel:
I also wanna congratulate Forced, for not only being runner up in levels last week (8 levels!), but for really proving to be a big help to other members recently :) I like to see that. Yarg!
Oh. Rolling for Gold is canceled, by the way.

Time to get back to leveling then... Cyas in game.