Official alpha server thread

Moderator: EUO Moderators

treos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Re: Official alpha server thread

Post by treos »

um...i think melee combat might be broken on alpha currently. i just checked and i can't use any weapons as a half-troll. ctrl+direction shows no message in chat and i couldn't hit an enemy either.

the other night my friend could see my boots when sizing me up while i was wearing swamp boots too...

edit: also, when creating a new character... there's only a single avatar available for the human race. attempting to change the pic crashes the game.

edit 2: scrolling to skeleton race then pressing right ALSO crashes the game.

edit3: updated the game earlier and that seemed to have fixed the attacking problem. haven checked the others yet.
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Re: Official alpha server thread

Post by Rumper »

Using this viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4924 I decided to spend some time on Alpha for pets.

It's a great start to let pet strength be decided by taming level.

I will touch upon the following topics.

All pets will be the same melee wise.
So the difference will lay in the look of your pet, its resistances and the amount of spells it can hold.
Idk what to say about aesthetic so I will just skip.
Scalability end-level

Speaking about resistances.
Pets with good cold resist (50%): Frost Orc, Snow Ogre, Ice Ettin, Frost Mephit, Ice Mephit
Pets with good lightning resist (50%): Hydra, Blue Dragon
Pets with good fire resist (50%): Nightmare, Fire Lizard, Water Daemon, Fire Dragon

So this is actually picking your pet depending on what you are gonna fight.

Fighting most high-end undead, we we will get lightning resist pets.
Fighting dragons, we wil prefer pets with fire resist.
FIghting those frost things which are really low in number, we will preferably get those with cold resist. (But I doubt anyone will do this)

This is fine for me, I have no problems with it, it adds a nice touch actually.

Next is the amount of spells a pet can hold.
I would like my pet to use a variety of spells so I will choose the pet that can hold the most amount of spells.
With 5 slots (max) I prefer to choose between:
- White, Green, Black and Red dragons
- Lich
- Demi- lich

However I want Xen Mani (Heal Other) to be in the repertoire of my minion, as it can't be transferred I will choose one of the following:
- Goblin Shaman (3 spell slots)
- Shadow Orc (3 spell slots)
- Troll Priest (4 spell slots)
- Minotaur Shaman (4 spell slots)

So far it's a nice change, we went from Red/Black dragon which everyone pick to 8+ viable pets depending on how specialized we want to be.
So in that aspect it's a good change as it successfully achieved it's goal letting pets be more diverse.

A small issue I have is the scalability of the pets.
It's too strong at the start and too weak at the end.
It's easy to get 40-50 taming without serious effort.
This translates to
300ish Hp, 300ish Int, 180mr, 20ishAS, 20ishAC, 3D3.

The melee aspect is normal but the spellcasting aspect is way too Overpowered.
At 30 taming, I can tame a goblin shaman with a whopping 200ish int. Doing 20 damage with Grav Por. Increasing to 30 damage with Grav Por at 40-50 taming while still being lower than lvl 50 (on PD, I assume its even less in Reg). This while fighting ettins, goblins and orcs.
But time-wise it's a okay cause the time spent taming could be spent leveling up. Except now you have a free slave doing all the mindless work.
So I guess this is fine.

Taming 100 is another story. The spellcasting is ok but the meleedamage output is abysmal.
Any pet with VF,OG does 60-100 damage on dragons (Non-heroic)
XC does 130 damage
XMP would do 50-70 damage
VOG Would do 30-60 damage

These are all values that seem ok for high end mobster without modifiers.

But not at all when starting to do heroic/epic runs.
What good is 100 damage when you can't even penetrate it's defences and thus do 25 damage when it has like 1K hp?
So I made the change from combat mobs to like support mobs. The cast for me AEP, SL, IZH. All kind of utility spells that don't get themselves revealed and thus killed while at the same time help me have an easier time killing the mobs.

I think it's okay to limit the scope of pets to what it is now, and maybe add later a skill/class that improves pets drastically to let them help you in Heroic/Epic combat.

This was all said in perspective from a PD player.
In Reg I can imagine this scalability to be really good.

Ozimandias wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:26 am Nice idea here: Pet Classes that give the pet access to spells/abilities later on.

ie. I give my Golem the class of "Healer," and I can now buy him spells that heal hp or cure poison upon him reaching certain levels.

Class Ideas for Pets:
Healer: Uses restorative spells, maybe some priest spells.
Guardian: Pure strength with abilities and no magic like a fighter. Good for a mage companion?
Sorcerer: Uses offense spells - like a mage.
Battlemage - low mixture of Guardian and Sorcerer
Battlepriest - low mixture of Healer and Guardian
Magician - low mixture of Healer and Sorcerer.
I like the class ideas for pets, maybe not so specialized, but more general. Like

Tanker gets 1.5 hp value and x2 MR value.
Sorcerer gets 1.5 int value.
Fighters get 3x damage and AS values.
Optional priests (pets with heals) dont change stat values.

This opens a lil more possibility for covering your class weaknesses with pets.