Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Re: Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by LordMortiferus »

Keighn wrote:Dialup takes forever for the pics to get up. Have you been using regions yet? I find these to be awesome in the scope of what they can do.
Yeah the pictures are quiet big for dial-up. I will upload the map-files again which are smaller. As for the regions, i haven't used them yet and atm i am not sure where to use it.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Well, I'll be in Kansas in about a month and have access to highspeed. I'll be able to see them fine then.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

News from the Vault:

The bad:
I gave up on this map (actually some months ago)

The good:
I started a new and going to recycle elements from the old one.

Reason:
Lets face it. The map was too huge, too epic, too complex for me to finish and be pleased with it in a reasonable time. Due to my work on a Clan Hall map for GoD I learned to restrict myself to smaller maps sizes, I learned a lot about features/spawners and the usefulness of meta-mapping. Especially meta-mapping is very interesting and a good way to restrict oneself to smaller maps with the option to expand the maps when ever you feel like it.
I really hope my stamina won't leave me again, there's some stuff I really like to try out.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It was a nice map. Various things turn me off from map making: unable to stack features, I can't lua worth a crap, not sure if you can go in any direction with a map if you already preset its size and later resize it. (ie.. only able to add to the south and east and not able to add to the north and west without copying the entire map and repasting it to the new size). How on earth do you copy sections of maps and plop them in other maps? I should have asked Rusty that.
ZUPS!!!!
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Upgrade from dialup already jesus christ. its 2011 ffs. you could use 4g thru an evo hooked up to your comp and itd be faster than dialup
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

:--;:
ZUPS!!!!
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Eidolon wrote:Upgrade from dialup already jesus christ. its 2011 ffs. you could use 4g thru an evo hooked up to your comp and itd be faster than dialup
Hey, easy, easy now.

You know he is still rocking one of these...

No need to be harsh.
~Mario
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

After a 3 year break I picked this project up again. Albeit, I had to search awhile to get the files together. Anyway, I hope to finally finish this map. Thanks to chedich I already got an unique end boss at hand and probably going to script some mid bosses. When I started this map I had no knowledge of scripting, and now after these 3 years I am actually more interested in writing scripts than in tiles placing.
Bottom line, there is still a lot to do and it will take some time, but if anyone has suggestions, recommendations or requests let me know below.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:After a 3 year break I picked this project up again. Albeit, I had to search awhile to get the files together. Anyway, I hope to finally finish this map. Thanks to chedich I already got an unique end boss at hand and probably going to script some mid bosses. When I started this map I had no knowledge of scripting, and now after these 3 years I am actually more interested in writing scripts than in tiles placing.
Bottom line, there is still a lot to do and it will take some time, but if anyone has suggestions, recommendations or requests let me know below.
That's great that you're working on this again Lord M.

I don't know what kind of story you have planned but since this is the town of lost souls I'm thinking there may be some undead somewhere in the map. You should consider adding an area maybe hidden or deep in the map with a large number of Skeleton Dragons and Zombie Dragons. There isn't really a playable map with a large number of high level undead and I think it would be a nice addition (especially if there is a heroic option!)

I wish you luck, I look forward to playing this. :)
IGN: 1
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

1[WoWz] wrote: I wish you luck, I look forward to playing this. :)
+1
Djanno :smoke:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I'll add zombie and skeleton dragons to the graveyard area.
As to the story or lore behind this map - I cannot find my notes anymore, hence I dunno were this is going. I still remember some elements I had in mind though.

Anyway, I got a question for you guys: Shall I allow blink? I am asking this because I wonder how straightforward the map should be. Without blink I could make a map where you have to find your way into the city before you can proceed to the boss(es). But I come to the conclusion that this might not be a good design choice after-all, though it would encourage exploration. Could be frustrating or fun depending on how you look at it (consider this map is huge, I guess).

tl:dr blink yes or no - straightforward map or exploration heavy to get to the end?
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

LordMortiferus wrote:
tl:dr blink yes or no - straightforward map or exploration heavy to get to the end?

Well if you allow blink, you shouldn't make it too easy/quick to get to the end. Exploring is fun.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:I'll add zombie and skeleton dragons to the graveyard area.
As to the story or lore behind this map - I cannot find my notes anymore, hence I dunno were this is going. I still remember some elements I had in mind though.

Anyway, I got a question for you guys: Shall I allow blink? I am asking this because I wonder how straightforward the map should be. Without blink I could make a map where you have to find your way into the city before you can proceed to the boss(es). But I come to the conclusion that this might not be a good design choice after-all, though it would encourage exploration. Could be frustrating or fun depending on how you look at it (consider this map is huge, I guess).

Thanks for adding the dragons, that should be a fun challenge! :cool:

I honestly believe that blink should be allowed unless someone could run to a boss in less than a minute using blink. People who want to explore will and most people will explore the whole map at least once anyway.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I nearly finished the underground map (well no spawners or features yet). The groundfloor map (see first post of this thread) should be more or less in an advanced state. I think I even started on the 2nd floor map 4 years ago. I'll keep the whole thing at 3 levels max. Maybe add some meta-mapped 4th floor here and there. Anyway, here is an overview of the underground map:
underground.png
It consists of a "under the graveyard" themed section with the cellar of a church (I know it is nearly the same church as in Sagittarius). A lava stream with castle in-between, underground lake and the sewer system for the city. Regardless of blink, I decided to add another way into the city for variation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

Looks really good!
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I had for years the idea to make a map that has the look of a submerged city. Easier said then done, though. Well I created the following screenshot as proof of concept:
atlantis.png
What do you guys think about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:What do you guys think about it?
Wow that looks incredible. I could see something like this being a whole map as an abandoned town (full of monsters like hydras or maybe a new water dragon creature) or even as a good npc town full of a water dwelling race.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks 1,

I'll add a small submerged area to this projects underground map. I could also image a submerged version of one of New Sosaria's cities for the apocalyptic expansion.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Love the submerged city idea. How are we going to breathe underwater?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

It's Magic ofc! ;)