So I thought to make it so either you have 0% chance of success at casting a spell, or 99%. How the success% relates to your skill and spell level are detailed below:
Code: Select all
cir req skill% 1 12.5% 2 25% 3 37.5% 4 50% 5 62.5% 6 75% 7 87.5% 8 100%
* you always know if a spell will succeed or not
* it is quite neat I think (I'm probably the only one who cares about game-rules neatness)
* for those with 25% in magic you get full access to the first 2 circles with guaranteed success
* probably make magic easier I think
* you need 100% to cast circle 8 spells (this could be considered a pro, or both)
* you need 12.5% to cast anything, so rolling a new caster player, or training will be required to start
* it takes away spell failure - I know this is the point, but I'm not quite convinced that spell failure is bad ... (it just kinda bugs me when I try playing as a mage)
* it could encourage afk macroing of casting - which I must admit dont really care that much about but it's annoying when someone does it in town
Currently, if you have 12.5% in a magic school, your success rate for a circle 1 spell is about 57% and circle 2 is 32%. If you have 25%, circle 1 success is 87% and circle 2 is 62%.
I might trial this on the upcoming alpha server when I workshop priests. Any thoughts? I'm not THAT enthused about it, infact it feels like a bit of a waste of time. But the engine support for 0/99% is coded (just have to change bumping skill).