maeondir: overview

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

maeondir: overview

Post by eggmceye »

This thread and the other 2 on maeondir were in a extra secret forum which I used for organising help (ie bossing players around). Now that it's live that secret forum is now deleted and these 3 threads are moved to friends of euo forum for posterity.

The island of Maeondir, the original pd contient, is to be an expansion to euo.

I had grand plans but am starting to think that just getting it running would be better than nothing.

So here's the proposed changes:

OVERVIEW
aimed squarely at level 40 players and up. I want to fill that 40-50 gap, and the 100+ gap (correct me if those gaps aren't accurate)

approx 12 hunting areas
approx 20-30 new mobs
3 new shrines that give new level up function
1 town
2 huts: 1 with an NPC, one for hunting

OPTIONAL / DELAYED GRAND PLANS

3 new races other than human for players to choose from : possibilities: orc, half orc, elf, dwarf, bobbit, fuzzy, troll, undead - I haven't thought hard about this - see separate thread
subclasses - priest, necro, ranger, bard, etc etc

PLUS

50 new artifacts, including intrinsic materials

PLUS

cooking
farming

PLUS

ships

PLUS

revamped crafting so that is all like enchanting, ie fast and relying on found items
fishing - was going to revamp totally, make into minigame

HOW TO GET THERE
either pay RL money (probably not) or use the black stone to create a portal. I do have a huge quest planned for it, as part of the main storyline. But this will keep.

That's the original plan. I need to delegate work, and rusty's mob making skills makes you the perfect candidate for finishing off the mobs (ie their stats and abilities). Tyler has made a bunch of maps but I haven't seen them - these essentially need to be matched up to the new mobs, and respawned with them.

I will post threads today on maps reqd and monsters required. Although separate threads, I believe they are co-dependent. I want monsters to suit the maps.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'm really quite anxious about getting this finished, so I'm just going to post a stream of conciousness babble of what needs doing in order to get it live, or a good portion of it. I'm back at uni now, and not particularly liking it, and really feel time is precious. I'm getting anxious about other aspects of euo and really want maeondir done. This is not me whipping anyone into shape, you guys are awesome help. But the brains of the outfit needs to get his act together and really nail it.

getting to maeondir
Use the black stone to create a portal. Add this functionality. Add NPC's in new sos explaining this. Could this be a rumor on a fortune cookie? Disseminate this info ingame some how.

essential maeondir maps
* must finish town (joel aka eidolon/sandfire is having a crack at it now). castle maeondir is done, sans NPCs
* must do more castle brownthorne, ie add more mapspace and spawn it
* must make the 3 shrines functional (maps are made)
* must add lord & lady farimond NPCs, with story !
* try and add a useful npc in the west coast hut, function unknown
* dungeons: there is probably enough bare dungeons done to go with, except they aren't spawned. Need to assign player levels to dungeon sets, then work out mobs for dungeons then mob's difficulty. I'm trying to get this done now.
* the following dungeons need spawning: anathema, blood moor, 222, desert hut, lava caves, fire mt

to really finish it
* finish ty's cave + spawn
* finish 'some other dungeon' + spawn
* sword tower!
* dungeon farimond

these last 4: I am considering doing all these as randomly generated. I don't want to cut corners on production though, so maybe one at a time. I feel there is merit is spending time on good random caves and dungeons.

awesome extras that probably won't make the cut
* ships
* priests & necro (ie split sorc and peity)
* bards

no way these are getting done any time soon :cry:
* farming + cooking
* revamped crafting
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

progress update

essential maeondir maps
* must finish town JOEL/Eidolon has finished this, I've tidied it up and named it Sandy Valley (after sandfire of course) - just needs merchants (and NPC's)
* castle maeondir is done, sans NPCs
* must do more castle brownthorne - I've made this 3 levels, no spawners - this will do for this exp (I was going to add a dungeon later)
* must make the 3 shrines functional (maps are made)
* must add lord & lady farimond NPCs, with story !
* try and add a useful npc in the west coast hut, function unknown
* dungeons: there is probably enough bare dungeons done to go with, except they aren't spawned. Need to assign player levels to dungeon sets, then work out mobs for dungeons then mob's difficulty. Working out plyr levels->map set is basically done, at least in my head
* the following dungeons need spawning: anathema, blood moor, 222, desert hut, lava caves, fire mt, castle brownthorne

to really finish it
* finish ty's cave + spawn - expand maybe with random caves
* finish 'some other dungeon' + spawn - this could be ty's diablo maps, which I would like to randomise somewhat MAYBE
* sword tower! - RUSTY has finished this!
* dungeon farimond - this will be a random dungeon, but I'd like to sit down properly and do it in lua, not like the one near the graveyard in new sos

DEADLINE UPDATE!
There is a deadline? If there wasn't it would never get finished! I want it all done by Fri Aug 29, that is 4 weeks. I think this is plenty of time. I will do weekly progress updates.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

here's an update. Very close now, on schedule even. So close I don't even look at this forum anymore - so I'll cut and paste my notes here.

green means done:

maps

continent

town + merchants + npcs + stable boy + magic merch + patrolling guards
castle farimond + npcs
hut on the coast + npcs

shrine #1
shrine #2
shrine #3

swampy ruin
dungeon farimond
sword tower
fire caves

castle brownthorne - polish off- spawners
fire mountain - polish off - spawners
desert hut - purpose for it's existence - spawners

city of shadows - spawners
anathema - spawners
blood moor - spawners

optional:
ty's cave
some other dungeon (on east coast)
dungeon south of the town
work on 222 top right room some more (lowest pri)

general todo

give fire golems, fire fox, fire lizards lava walk
multi class mobs ...
vog for mobs - test further
new monster boss names
ice dragon - need ice ray spell that slows and causes dmg - have cheesey blue fx - 1 or 2 more abilities
need to allow raft but not ship, but not wrap the continent! (so don't set as continent - or not hard link wrap to continent) - is it ok to mine and fish? yes should be

new title screen
make new intro animation

story, quests, npcs:
need to get to maeondir some how
add npcs to town, castle and hut
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Time for an update.

Pretty much everything is done. I'm just finishing conversations now, as well as working out the exact way to getting to maeondir. I've settled on using the black stone - but exactly how not sure of yet.

Maeondir is interesting as I can start to flesh out a tiny bit of new sosaria back-storyline (using one of the npcs) - as well as setting up some circumstances for future quest line. I don't really plan on any quests in for launch tho, except maybe one cute one which would be kinda hidden anyway.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

So are you still on schedule for the update to happen tomorrow? Or you think you're gonna postpone a few days?

I'm so excited for it!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I really hope this weekend, it was meant to be about right now, but I broke my toe and have lost a couple of days. I also distracted my self with stuff like highlighted keywords in NPC chat, and I still have some things to fix in the 800x600 client before I patch. But yeh within days for sure, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't done by sunday night my time.
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

Sorry to hear about your toe :( I'm really looking forward to Maeondir going in. Thanks for letting me be a part of the development, I had a lot of fun. If you ever need/want me to help with anything else just let me know.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I've finished all the conversations - which is a bit of a milestone. I've just gotta tidy up the client and fix up a few more odds and ends. Energy is running low right now however, and I have to leave in an hour or so. So I don't think it won't be for another 24hrs.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Egg, this is by far one of the best additions to euo I've seen since I've started playing. Great great job on everything. The new hunting grounds are great. The idea with the black stone as a portal is clever. I love it all.

Just two questions:

I noticed in your main update post you didnt say anything abt the 50 new artifacts. Was that on purpose or have you not gotten around to adding them yet?

Hows your toe? :P
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I only added 1 new artifact, certainly not the 50 I was planning. Just not enough time ... too ambitious the original draft was when I started hatching a plot to 'finish Maeondir' in late may/early june or whenever it was.

The toe is fucked btw.
Heikki
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Heikki »

Maybe even one more shrine for feat points..

Here comes crappy feat point idea:

New shrine that add one "Feat point" per level mediated

Those points can be uses for feats. Feats can have lvl requirements and class requirements.

Feats can be like:

- Faster meditation (2 feat points)
- Better luck = better drops (10 feat points)
- Extra mage spell damage (? feat points)
- Extra melee damage (? feat points)
- Spell specialization = one choosed spell do more damage (1 feat point per circle of spell)
- Heavy armour skill = more def from armours (? feat points)
- Better special moves (? feat points)
- Magic tattoos = more mr (? feat points)
- Nible fingers = less damage and no aspyxiation from chests (3 feat points)
- Favoured monster = more damage agains specific monster (? feat points.. maybe max 20 if Shadow Lord choosed)
- Weapon/staff specilization (Weapon/staff counted have one more + per 2 feat points)

Pink daemon at nord can sell there feats.
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop