Escape from the Vault 2015/2021

And other EUO offshoot projects!
eggmceye
hello

Re: Escape from the Vault 2015

Post by eggmceye »

Try not to be alarmed when something works differently that how you might expect, eg strength pill
i) this is not euo - it's meant to be a different game!
ii) it is also single player: meaning it doesn't matter if something is really cheesy or broken: as long as it's entertaining.

I also fully encourage you to tinker with and mod it and expand it as much as you can. When I get back (and it's going to be a work shitfight) I'll try and post guides on adding new items and monsters etc. It's pretty easy.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Awesome. Hopefully I get time to tinker more. Last few days have been overly busy.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Key to answers (mostly obvious, but many things just require time)

yes/yeh: I agree but it can wait until I get around to expanding the game rather than just polish, which is focus atm
hmmm: could or will think about it. not sure I agree however.
nah: disagree with your sentiment! sorry!
ideal world: yes but it's far off

Mackey ...

>Needs some tutorial/instructions/backstory.
Tutorial: would like some minimal helpers & clues. Backstory: in an ideal world

>Doors could stand out a little more.
Good tip

>Not much use for spray n pray until the scorpion caves, as its hard to find clusters of enemies.
hmmm: it does get good use though doesn't it?

>Can't sell anything I've found to vending machines. Maybe +weapons and armour could be sold for a small amount of clams?
Nah tons of clams ingame, don't need more

>Would be nice to have a selection of avatars.
yeh

>No way to res my doggy :(
nah

>Save points would be nice. Pretty long game to be completely PD.
No: It's a roguelike. Multi save folders tho so you can have multi chars is important

>Level bosses?
Yeh

>When out of ammo, possible way to auto-equip next weapon with ammo? (Out of energy cells, auto equip crossbow if I have bolts in inventory)
hmmm .... would be very handy I suppose, but too clever too

>Training curve on traps is pretty rough from level two to level three.
I never really used them ... noted

>Any purpose to "s"earch computers if I'm not a robot?
YES, it is engineering

>Starvation causing damage would add to the "survival" aspect of the game. (I like the lower drop rate of ammo, makes it a bit of a challenge)
ahh the hunger-clock ... dunno if I like hunger clocks in roguelikes

>More classes? (rogue/thief/assassin? :D)
sure

1 ...

I think the main "quest" works out pretty well. I'd like to see additions to the game without changing the final goal of kill Rusty, like optional side quests.
yeh

A great addition would be to add an abandoned shack somewhere in the wilderness or in the town that you can fix up and make your own (just like having a house in EUO).
yes

Also, it would be cool if you eventually sold EftV on Steam for like $2 or $3.
meh, steam! ffff

Keighn ...

Agree on a lot of that. An assassin/sniper class would be sweet.
yeh, 100s of classes like Crawl!

Dual wield for said class perhaps.
easy, coded already from euo

Gunman class for dual pistol-like weapons or maybe just for anyone.
yeh can dual wield guns one day, it's in there somewhere

use mouse to scroll over and move map in computer terminal.
hmmm: kinda not into mouse thesedays

engineer spare parts usage goes up too fast?
5 parts got me to 66
perhaps more recipes like miniature computer terminal 1 use (5-10 parts to make)
Freeze Ray sentry (low dmg ICE and maybe hold person)
Flame thrower Sentry
Detonation Bots (think those silly leprechauns that exploded)

yeh. remember I belted this out in 7 days ... tho have had 2 years to expand engineering and haven't done so. so your suggestions are welcome. It could do with more. And yes it does go up fast! kinda meant to. Not mean tto be grinding crafting in a single player game.

suggestion beds regenerate health faster (sleep)
hmmmmm

grates - crawl spaces to random parts in maze (random) usually to another grate...
"you crawl through the ventillation shafts"

hmm - good idea: i was trying to think of a use for them

tables...breakable to maybe find a club
hmmm ha ! sounds like out of rpg manual at your house in oregon

difficulty settings to make things harder or easier in the game:
how fast skills or xp goes up
how tough mobs are
frequency of mobs or size of mobs ran into.

hmmm ... in a perfect world, why not

allotment of stats? Do people like the auto allotment. I know for a while I was playing old eftv not alloting to see how far I could get.
I like it: it simplifies things

meditation for hp? makes you hungry?
nah ... scrapped med just to simplify things

Instead of strange vision maybe something like "you manage to tap into the computer map." or (computer map activated)
yeh

secret door too easy to see (maybe make it activatable door or search to locate)
funny that secret door is easy and reg door is too hard!

weapon (tells what ammo it uses if any)
yeh - i want lots of info tips in game like that: that is an important one

Well, I've never successfully stuck a candy bar back into a vendinig machine IRL. I wonder if there couldn't be on a new class a method to steal from vending machines or break into them. I'd obviously make failur and attacking the machine a sentry bot of nastiness to not make it so easy to crack it.
hmmm sure maybe .... can you do it?

Can't use charge attack diagonally from a distance. You don't move. If mob is adjacent you will strike it though. Otherwise charge works fine.
interesting bug ....

Cursed Rafts. I don't know why they are "enchanted: cursed" nor why they appear in stacks of 12-20+. The first time was a locker so I paid no heed the next time was from a rat I believe.
that is a mad bug: when I said look out for weird stacks - I spent ages looking for it and couldn't find. Interesting you got enchanted rafts! good clue maybe

Fireball is worthless as a spell. Does 1 damage. Good for when running into those nasty rats but bad when you want to blast something.
it is a finishing: it does optimal dmg when tgt is at low health, like 1/3 hp. Does no dmg when full health

Perhaps android can't break objects down into spare parts. For those objects that are so small maybe 0-1 parts or small % it breaks into a spare part.
not really understanding

Start androids off with 5 small parts instead of bandages since that is useless to them.
I thought I did that - it's my notes tho somewhere

I still don't know if there is a level limit in the game. I'll relook. Some might even wonder if possible multi-classing for maxed characters.
It is lvl 20 I think: it helps keep a lid on player power: maybe cap could be removed after rusty killed? also multi-class won't work: this uses rigourously fixed classes like DnD 2.0

Love old school lightning bolt.
me too!

terran class (human)
oh man not humans!!!1 oh wait: read the website: backstory! the humies are all dead

pigman (Porchoperan - just remake the male draconian tiles)[/color]
duke 3d cops

robot can dismantle items into spare parts
yeh I have that in my list somewhere: but rather engineers can

vault should go from lowest number up since climbing ie lvl 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 to etc... (can probably change that myself)
yeh .... makes sense

strength pills never decay if that's a bug.
not a bug!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Heh, some of those I fixed myself like level limit and time for doggie to be bonded (like it matters since if it dies its dead and tbh, he gets in my way. field meat for the terminators).

Had a rough feb so haven't tinkered too much these last few weeks. I should have a laptop next month or something similar I hope. (crossing fingers nothing bad happens irl).
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I've just uploaded the latest version, tho I must admit: not much has changed. I fixed one or 2 bugs and that is about it. Updated the website however.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

eggmceye wrote:I've just uploaded the latest version, tho I must admit: not much has changed. I fixed one or 2 bugs and that is about it. Updated the website however.
Thanks for uploading the most current version. I look forward to revisiting EftV and seeing how fast I can beat it!
IGN: 1
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Managed to beat EftV again tonight. I have some good strategies down but luck seems to be the biggest factor sometimes.

MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

Anyone ever played ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal)?
It reminds alot of EftV. Turn based, roguelike etc.

It can be found at http://te4.org/ or on Steam if you want to pay for it.

Egg, give it a try if you want. It might inspire you. :)
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

MoonGoat wrote:Anyone ever played ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal)?

I've heard of tome but never gave it a try. I might have to check it out. A long time ago I used to play Angband, specifically the tile graphic ZAngbandTK variant.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I was clearing some brush in the field the other day when mutants hit my brain box. I thought of fallout and perks then I thought of an old game called shard of spring/demons winter.

For so many points is SOS/DM you could buy a perk like troll skin, night vision along with mundane skills. I started to think of this.

Poisonous skin (mobs might get poisoned from striking you... Punching could poison)
Spikey Bone protrusions (mobs take some DMV for striking you)
Thick hide
Regeneration
Radioactive aura
Claws
Odd growths aka scorpion tail, snail stalk eyes, tentacles. (Some of this makes me think of mail order monsters)

The alien sometimes makes me think of The Leader from Incredible Hulk or the grays from X-Com.
Perhaps mental perks like
psionic stunning
Repulsion pulse
Enrage (confusion spell)

Androids could use building of robotic armor, vision and sensor detection properties, weapon upgrades inside the robot, transform into a temporary 2x2 mechwarrior, jet pack, breaching missiles that explode doors and small sections of furniture or wall (say 1 -2 squares) that inflicts shrapnel and knock back damage on mobs in the vicinity (think Hollywood movie explosions)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

MoonGoat wrote:Anyone ever played ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal)?

I've had it on steam for a while now: have put 18 hours into it, so that means I quite liked it. I like the way abilities work (wow style) but dislike the wow/diablo style items, ie the multiple enchants. I find them too hard to read and too time consuming to compare a drop to what you have. No consumables is interesting. Yeh I don't mind it. I think I like dreadmore better.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I just downloaded it and tried it on my laptop. I created a dwarves berserker with charge attack to emulate my favorite euo fighter style. It's pretty cool but no euo.

I'll search and look at dreadmore.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Please tell me there are better avatars in Dungeons of Dredmore than that big eyebrowed peasant from Thanksgiving!!
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the eyebrows are terrible but otherwise the art is great
Kracky
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Kracky »

Any chance we can pre-buy a Player Owned Vault just in case EFTV goes online ?

Being post-apoc I don't expect many cities and vendors around , so a nice hobbit hole to keep scorpions and terminators away would be nice.

And for some ideas there are quite a few old school pnp rpg's that could add a lot of info to EFTV :

Twilight 2000 - A lot of post apoc military based info
The Morrow project - a VERY old post apoc survival rpg (newer versions are around)
Gamma World - a big mix of low and high tech with mutants and robots
Shadowrun - mixing tech and magic together not true post apoc though
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

EFTV BUGS

Post by Keighn »

Seems every mob I encounter now drops a stack of katanas. I have no idea why. I'd expect no drop but huge piles of katanas? Pen and teller must be practicing on everything here.
ZUPS!!!!
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Kracky wrote:And for some ideas there are quite a few old school pnp rpg's that could add a lot of info to EFTV :

Twilight 2000 - A lot of post apoc military based info
The Morrow project - a VERY old post apoc survival rpg (newer versions are around)
Gamma World - a big mix of low and high tech with mutants and robots
Shadowrun - mixing tech and magic together not true post apoc though
If we're diggin in the crates for old games to scrape for ideas, let's add CAR WARS to the list. Their system for handling motion-based battles seems like it'd translate pretty well.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I noticed this for the forums:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... e_resizer/

resiszes images that are far too large and uses a magnifier to see the original size. (though I could resize on my own and link to photobucket; its just more work)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Some of the newer features in EUO would be awesome. PDA of Mapping or just the M key would be awesome. I'm speaking for online and offline versions. I hadn't played my offline guy in a while but he's level 33 and just that quick log in and I found an AK-47 (Lightning). I'm surprised there isn't a FG rocket launcher enchant for explosion.
Paru
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Paru »

So first time i beat it i let it be more of a challenge, mostly keep moving and not hang out. I'm now staying in the vault... so here is some effects I've noticed firstly class skills. I noticed as an alien Evangelist I gmed melee and ranged skills. but sometime before 125 skill points my evangelism stoped at 21.15000. Just curious why it stopped improving been practicing fireball and charm or is that 21.15 end because 99% for fireball? the house for sure erases items I don't think any of the Vault levls do. /petname works thanks. Blue pill cant feed to pet other pills do nothing(for the best, feeding pet combat enhancement and str so it can do all the work seems alittle op).
20160719-101952.png
20160719-102027.png
20160719-102055.png
I'll probally leave the vault once i get healing to 100 and locks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.