HARDCORE PD server/command

Permanent Death and No Grind specific discussion goes here.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Luxorious
on lolpatrol

HARDCORE PD server/command

Post by Luxorious »

Howdy.

First of all, some background story:
My euo career started in 2003 or 2004, my forum account says 2004. Thanks to Chedich, I found this lovely game.
I used to have a reg character (several actually), but they were before the account system came and I forgot to tell eggmceye to merge them to my account and they were lost - no biggie. Also Catherine banned me once because she didn't like my name (which was Magicbum at the time, no reference to human buttocks - it was from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, a PlayStation game). Then eggmceye unbanned me pretty quickly and said he would set my computer on fire with black voodoo stick or something, should I get banned. Anyways, since PD was introduced (and even though it was "the redheaded stepchild of EUO", like Kodiak elegantly put it - it might've been somebody else, damn my memory) I instantly found my thrill. I almost always play hardcore option on games.

Getting to the point:
Since resurrection stones and resurrects (which aren't available anymore) I felt like the thrill of competition was almost gone - By this I mean the ability to bring your character back, although the PD stands for "Permadeath". :fp:
So, why does buying your character back / or buying a life insurance (resurrection stone) bother me? Why I don't just buy it and quit my bitching - Well, of course I could afford it, but I rather spend my money on beer, wacky tobacco, magical :nightshade: etc. Also, I think my paypal account is frozen and I don't have a credit card X-D - however those are bad excuses - the reason not to buy stuff (for me) is because I find it challenge breaking (yes, yes, I know custom avatars/named weapons aren't game breaking - but as an oldschool type guy I dislike vanity stuff in games, like those silly mini Diablo pets/pandas/whatever in WoW :-S ).
What motivates me to play is competition and my own goals (currently trying to make it to lvl 1000 with my very old rogue Enchanter
http://euotopia.com/plyr.php?p=Enchanter&serv=PD
There is also the social aspect - it's not a big deal to me (I'm a loner usually), but THIS is why I want this kind of server - of course I could just set my own rules and play by them (like Keighn does(???), bless that man) - but it'd be a lot more social for me, atleast.

I understand that people are fond / attached to their characters, since they have spent lots of hours on them (and possibly real money too). I am fond of my characters too. HOWEVER, what I think is, having an account in EUO is a privilege, meaning we have the chance to play the game, but we don't directly OWN those accounts - they could be deleted at any point without any hesitation. Also, if you are going to spend money on a game, you should (atleast this is my moral) do it for the reason of supporting the game, not because "i spent this much money plah plah plah, this why i need to have x and y, this is why my char can't be deleted ever, etc". Not hating, but for me, buying that stuff (that stuff = other than cosmetic stuff) breaks the game challenge. I know everybody can play the way they want, as long as they play by the rules. I'm fine with this.
If you truly want to support egg/EUO then you send money anyway (my moral again).
If you want to invest your REAL MONEY to something and hold onto it, I suggest gold/jewelry/gems or a digital currency, like bitcoin, feathercoin, litecoin et cetera. However, this isn't the point - read on.

TOO LONG, DIDN'T READ:
-I think eggmceye is more mellow now (or maybe I'm more mellow and my perception of him has changed?), so the time might be right to start suggesting things - I suggested a similar thing back in 2008-2009, with no luck
-Not necessary to create entirely new server - you could create a /hardcore command to toggle hardcore on at lvl 1
-Hardcore characters can't naturally participate with non hardcore chars - this means trading, partying etc
-Hardcore characters can't buy ANYTHING for addy coins, they can't even receive them
-Hardcore characters have a scoreboard (like LotL)
-If you die (without a res stone, should they exist), your items are gone for good - your ghost won't drop a thing
-No houses
-LotL forced? Maybe
-Possible to find res stones / or not (I'm fine with both options, since res stones are very rare)
-DISCLAIMER with huge letters, which you have accept to play hardcore - "This is the hardcore - if you die, you f***ing die" (pardon my french). Also, if you DARE to post on forums/message egg how your character died unfairly (lag, power out, server crash, severe schizophrenia, RNG gods jinxed you etc) you will be banned for sometime for bothering people with something you accepted (maybe this is too harsh) - nobody cares. You aren't coming back (with that character), not even if you were Chuck Norris/He-Man/Skeletor/Insert interesting character here. That's the whole idea.
-Pretty much same to current PD, but with the modifications mentioned above
-This server/command is for the men - if you get owned by poison/bleeding/kraken/bill the jailer/insert reason here - first :chill:, then get over it and make a new character :lesson:

I would really, really, REALLY love a real PD server - When you're dead, you're f***ing dead! (pardon my french)
Unless of course Res stones did drop and the RNG (Random Number Generator) Gods were on your side.

Why don't I just play LotL - Well, first of all, I tried it a bit with my brother. The lootshare for partying didn't work like I expected, and eventhough I'm a loner - I still like to play with good friends. Trading is "hard" too, and as an "altholic" I like to swap stuff between my characters. Nobody enjoys playing Diablo 2 with a barbarian who only finds necromancer stuff (inbefore D2Loader/hero editor/lan game/save file copying). I don't know if you can actually buy stuff from the coin shoppe in LotL - I have 24 addy coins on my non LotL character from the weekly PD. The trade interface opens in LotL and it says "you don't have enough addy coins", so I suspect it is possible to buy res stones etc in LoTl. Somebody, please clarify this!

I'm pretty sure some people would like to see this, other than me.
I know that eggmceye is busy with crypt wizard - best wishes on the project, I truly hope you can quit your day job and start making a living with your game(s) (as an on/off gamedev hobby, that's one of my fantasies)

Can you imagine the competition & struggle to the top :o
Would you play on this server/command, what would you change/add? Discuss.
If you are a lvl 1000 PD player with no res stones/resurrections/etc bought, then truly, you earn my respect :o you are a hardcore player!

Thanks,
Luxorious

PS: Yet again I've messed up my sleep cycle with coffee+smokes+EUO :fp: sorry if the text seems cryptic/crazy/too long/etc.

Oh yeah, and this one is for eggmceye:
Here's a little token of appreciation to celebrate the incoming pagan holiday.
(damn, transparency gone)
Use it wisely, my friend.

:uhh:
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
eggmceye
hello

Re: HARDCORE PD server/command

Post by eggmceye »

In fact I'm so chilled these days I almost appreciate a wall of rant for the underlying enthusiasm it is imbued with ...

I think I'd rather make a separate scoreboard that has top 10 (or 50) players that have not used a stone
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Oh, PUNISHER was sooo close but he wasn't lotl so moot point. What I don't understand is why so many people play those games where no skill is required. I'm sure it is eye-candy but there was one http://www.thelostrunes.com/ The lost runes that has like no eye-candy and people have spend thousands on it. REALLY? Man, and I thought euo-fanatics were crazy.

I guess it would be kind of cool if there was some sort of check box utility to make this game as hard as you wanted it upon starting a character. Think dungeonhack when it had those weird codes. Send that code to your buddy who wants to play just like that and bam two of the same.

Now would someone play where they get 1/10th the xp of reg though? Who's that insane?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

score board wrote: Top 10 players with 0 deaths ... New!
Updated December 19 2013 12:48:39.
Rank Name Level LOTL
1 Belenidas 1000 Y
That's amazing that somebody actually got to 1000 without dying once, and while LOTL to!
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

Bugbo wrote:
score board wrote: Top 10 players with 0 deaths ... New!
Updated December 19 2013 12:48:39.
Rank Name Level LOTL
1 Belenidas 1000 Y
That's amazing that somebody actually got to 1000 without dying once, and while LOTL to!
Finnish players are hardcore... X-D

Very nice job too, Keighn, I kinda knew you've "almost" done it! I would play with 1/10 xp PD LoTL (or atleast try drying :o) if there were other souls too, level 30 character in such server would feel awesome.

Thanks so much, eggmceye. My post was a huge wall of rant disguised with some strange background story et cetera. I kinda felt bad afterwards, because I think I sounded very ungrateful. Now, when I play one of my chars that has no deads, I need to bank my stone, should I find one. That must be the ultimate mental challenge for me - Kinda like having beers in your fridge when you have decided not to drink any. - I'm silly, carrying stone is okay, dying is not! :fp: need my morning coffee, I'm outa here

Yes, yes, I am very enthusiastic abt EUO, it's definitely one of the best games. There something to EUO, since I keep coming back.

Now I'm kinda tempted to make a new char again!
Yet Another Edit:
Would it be possible to toggle lootsharing in LotL? I mean just in party. How it should work, in my opinion:
-Two (or more of course) avatars are in party
-They can't give items to each other, because of LotL*
-HOWEVER, if they are a) in a party and b) in the same zone and c) both have participated in killing/doing the stuff that yields a drop the item(s) generated gets flagged for both players! This means those players can share/swap/exchange those items indefnitely, however, there is a huge con, which I will explain in this example story:
"Avatars Bart and Zeus are playing together. They find an adamantite great maul of leeching +3. Bart, as a fighter, takes the weapon. Later that night, Bart gets slain by the evil forces. Zeus manages to get the great maul back, while Bart has rolled a new fighter also named Bart. Now, Zeus can give Bart back that great maul again, because that great maul was "coded" to avatars Bart and Zeus!"

TLDR; So the con here is, is it okay if you can pick up stuff from your separate alts by having the same name?
Items that get ownership in LotL could be coded to a player id value, to prevent separate alts from doing this. However, that isn't really necessary. My whole point is (after a wall of text again), I think in LotL items should get ownership of those players, who participated in the item generation (drops, but I don't know how this would work with chests).

*LotL term is Living off the Land, and it reminds me of the movie Waterworld (Kevin Costner). In that movie, people have to trade with each other to survive. Clean water for cigarettes etc.
So, what do you guys think about trading/item swapping in LoTl? It's a tough subject to me, since if free trade wasn't prevented, you could pump up your alts, for an example. I think buying from NPCs should be prevented, but you should be able to share loot in a party, atleast.

Would it be possible to make Kyle's furniture quests optional or delete them and move the xp (not necessary) to that shadowy thief quest? I enjoy quests very much, and on LotL you can't finish the Dryden guards' odd jobs.

Thanks,
Luxorious
:roll:
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."