Taming Guide

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

KissOfNatas
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Re: Taming Guide

Post by KissOfNatas »

No you cant
LordAndrew

Post by LordAndrew »

Thank you very much Keighn, wonderful guide!
Celerion
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Celerion »

I got a question about dragon-evolution. The manual says:
Some creatures will 'grow up' (similar to Pokemon evolution) at level 25 and possibly again at level 50. The best example of this is the drake to dragon 'evolution'! You can't tame a dragon; only a drake, and then you have to go level your drake up to turn it into a dragon.
I leveled 3 drakes up to 25 and got 'green', 'golden' and 'green' again. The golden one's nice, but I'd prefer a black dragon. Does a green dragon evolve into a black dragon at level 50? Or which dragon does?
Or do I just have to keep on leveling drakes up to 25 to get my prefered dragon? And what are my chances?
LordAndrew

Post by LordAndrew »

It is just random dumb luck, level the drakes till 25 and cross your fingers pretty much.

Ideally you'd want a black dragon/most hp or a red dragon/most attack.
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

Alright, I was rather lucky and got my black dragon today (by leveling drake to 25). I hope, it doesn't transform into anything else at level 50. Thanks for answering.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Celerion wrote:Alright, I was rather lucky and got my black dragon today (by leveling drake to 25). I hope, it doesn't transform into anything else at level 50. Thanks for answering.
It won't transform into anything else at level 50. I don't have any idea what golden dragon you're talking about.

Fire dragons are the best imo, fire resist is helpful for them.
IGN: 1
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

1[WoWz] wrote:I don't have any idea what golden dragon you're talking about. Fire dragons are the best imo, fire resist is helpful for them.
Well, fire dragons look kind of golden, don't they. ;) So what I meant, was fire dragon.

("Golden" is a common colour for dragons in mythology or fantasy. "Smaug" in "The Hobbit", for example, is described as a red-golden dragon. So that's why I was mistaken.)
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Celerion wrote:
1[WoWz] wrote:I don't have any idea what golden dragon you're talking about. Fire dragons are the best imo, fire resist is helpful for them.
Well, fire dragons look kind of golden, don't they. ;) So what I meant, was fire dragon.

("Golden" is a common colour for dragons in mythology or fantasy. "Smaug" in "The Hobbit", for example, is described as a red-golden dragon. So that's why I was mistaken.)
That makes sense. Very sad that you got rid of the fire dragon. Some people have tried 20 times to get a fire before finally getting one.
Celerion

Post by Celerion »

1[WoWz] wrote:Very sad that you got rid of the fire dragon. Some people have tried 20 times to get a fire before finally getting one.
Maybe I didn't really know what I had.
Before I dropped it, I compared the stats though. Fire dragon and black dragon seem to have the same stats including casting speed, except the black one has a little more HP.
The black one has 5 spell-slots, while the fire one only has 2.
And unlike the fire one, the black one has the "heal self"-spell which I like and which can't be transferred from other pets (by tome). So to me, the black one seemed a bit better. The fire-resistance of the fire-dragon wasn't shown in the stats though. Neither was the value for "aggression", but both drags seem similar there.
I used to hunt with Toxiccii and his black dragon, which seemed to be rather strong to me, so I wanted one of these too.
The idea was also mainly to build a pet to stun mobs, especially with 'sleep wind', maybe 'freeze wind' or what it's called. As I'm mage/priest, I'm also able to heal the pet with VXM, which is quite cool. And I wanted to try, if I could finally solo the Blood Queen, if I'm supported by such a pet. So it's mostly for these blood-mobs. The pet doesn't need fire-resistance that much for them, I think.
If I'm not happy with the black drag, I still can try 20 times or more to get another one, because I'm already maximum-level, so I don't have to level myself and can spend lots of time on a perfect pet, if I want.
So after all, it hurts a bit, I let the fire dragon go (maybe I should have transferred it with "/transferpet playername", if someone had the addy-coins), but I'm ok. ;)
Paru

Post by Paru »

and do any of these undead pets offer new spells?
like undead lrod offering KCX or something?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yes, some undead offer new spell tomes. Undead Lords offer XC (same as red dragons) and Skeletal Dragons offer KXC (same as black dragons). For full listings check previous page.
Last edited by Keighn on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by treos »

i just finished bonding with a skeleton mage (necro class character, D) and there seems to be one flaw to having one as a pet: nothing gives it any exp. whether it's my mages minions it summons or the magic bolt spell it uses. no exp from any kill anywhere.

edit: in fact, from what i can tell, all the exp from the mages kills is going to my character.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

treos wrote:i just finished bonding with a skeleton mage (necro class character, D) and there seems to be one flaw to having one as a pet: nothing gives it any exp. whether it's my mages minions it summons or the magic bolt spell it uses. no exp from any kill anywhere.

edit: in fact, from what i can tell, all the exp from the mages kills is going to my character.
So it's sitting at level 1 with 0% exp? That sounds like a bug. You should post it to the bugs thread.
Paru

Post by Paru »

btw tip for spectral reaper nd i guess pets that have hard time "fmoving"... mark next pet tomes NPC. once you tame one, use a recall and sell the spells.
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

DUTCHMAN2 wrote:can you put heal other and put it in a pet tome. i tried to take one off the gobbo shaman and it wont let me...any help?
No you can't also heal self doesn't work either!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

EggMcEye wrote:* pet ai tweaks: better leash radius, less bouncy, won't range attack when guarding and out of range of leash
* added pet command 'leash' to set how far your pet can move away from you in guard mode only. Default is 2 squares. usage: 'leash 3' will set it to 3 squares. Use just 'leash' to see how long it is. hint: 3 works well with a ranged character+pet attack spell. (WoW hunter?)
* new pet command 'spells' - use it to choose whether i) a pet only casts spells ii) pet only fights physically or iii) both, which is default behaviour - note that this does not affect ai of a pet without spells !
* improved ai for a pet with just a healing xm spell : you can put it on spells mode and it will sit back and heal you. Also will heal you when not in combat.
* put price of strip pet spell down to 99, and convert to pet tome to 999

* changed the old formula for skill bumps such that it's not so brutally slow for 90->100 %, and allround a tiny bit faster
* taming 2x faster on NG
For my reference since I'm playing a tid bit at library..
Last edited by Keighn on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: UNDEAD - TBA

Post by Keighn »

Keighn wrote:UNDEAD TAMING FOR NECROMANCERS

DO NOTE: You need an equal amount in NECROMANCY as you do TAMING to attempt to tame the undead
One must also have a bone charm to feed the undead. These are acquired by using the proper necromancy spell *Create Bone Charm. You need either bones, a skull, or a corpse in your inventory. Some bones and skulls are found when butchering. You can also dig up graves with a shovel to get skulls and corpses.

5% Zombie Cow (train this to 25%)
10% Skeletons (train this to 30%)
15% Mummy (train this to 35%)
20% Ghost (train this to 40%)
25% Zombie (train this to 45%)
30% Ghoul (train this to 50%)
35% U1 Skeleton (train this to 55%)
40% Skeleton Mage (train this to 60%)
45% Wight (train this to 65%)
50% Skeleton Archer (train this to 70%)
55% Skeleton Warrior (train this to 75%)
60% Phantom (train this to 80%)
65% Vampire (train this to 85%)
70% Spectral Reaper (train this to 90%)
75% Demi Lich (train this to 95%)
80% Lich (train this to 100%)
85% U4 Lich (train this to 100%)
90% Zombie Dragon (train this to 100%)
95% Undead Lord (train this to 100%)
100% Skeletal dragon

Odd Anomalies:
2x2 spectral reaper Can't move from where it was tamed.
Zombie Mobs cannot infect disease once tamed.

Some Mobs should Fly:
Wights - amped up ghost
Demi Lich (They're flying skulls or floating)

Cannot Tame:
U1 Skeletons
U4 Liches
Ancient Vampires
Undead Warriors
Skeleton Jester
Grateful Dead
Did anyone find anything new I need to add to this; Besides basic undead pet data? I'm not sure if I need to update this.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Alpha References & Manual

Post by Keighn »

I'm changing some of my posts to something more helpful:
The manual for pets is here: Pets & Taming

Pet Ideas & Suggestions are here: RFC - PETS
EggMcEye - Alpha Pet Testing wrote:new / evolved pet stat changes - alpha only

A general problem with pets is that at 100 taming the only pet worth getting is usually a black or red dragon due to all others' low stats. So, now that necromancers can tame undead, and can tame undead dragons, I needed to beef those undead dragons, and indeed all pets up.

When you tame a pet, or when a pet evolves:
* pet stats are scaled to roughly dragon stats, multiplied by your % in taming
* base stats for a new pet with 100% taming:
-- HP 725
-- INT 750
-- MR 375
-- AS 38
-- AC 40
-- Dmg 5d7
-- speed 500ms
* the pet's new stats will be the greater of their normal stat or the above stat * skill% in taming. Eg if your taming skill is 50% then the pet's HP will be the greater of its normal HP or 725 * 0.5
* this instant pet stat respec does not ever apply to non-undead dragons, tho I'm willing to change this if someone puts up a good argument for it

Testing this on alpha. It's probably a good change - but I am a bit wary.

This statbonus does not get applied retroactively. If you want a new king rat pet you will have to go and tame another.
It starts here: Alpha Pet Upgrade
Last edited by Keighn on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Well, Taming Guide Updated. Not much left to do except tactics on pet use and spells that work best.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

SPEED TAMING

Post by Keighn »

Using these locations:
0-21 : Cows (Arena & Domain)
20-41: Orcs (Kazadoom)
40-61: Troll (Kazadoom)
45-66: Cyclops (Kazadoom)
50-71: Ogres (Kazadoom)
65-86: Minotaurs (Minotaur Halls)
85-100: Crocodiles (Prides Fall)