Heavy vs medium armor for priest

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

tankMage
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Heavy vs medium armor for priest

Post by tankMage »

Hello, I'm new to EUO. I started a priest a few days ago and have been experimenting with different types of armor. From what I gather MR is very important later in the game and heavy armor types not only have good base MR, but also provide nice physical defense. Unfortunately it also makes movement painfully slow. I have been contemplating a few solutions to this problem, but I have not been able to get enough info to make an informed decision. My character is a half troll and I'm playing on the regular server btw.

1. Increase my dex. I'm not too sure about this option. From what I gather dex increases movement speed and dodge%, but I don't know if that applies to heavy armor or how much dex I would need to make it worthwhile. Also priests are supposed to fucus on str and some int and dex doesn't seem to be the best option. Stillsome evade and a little speed boost may be helpful.

2. Find some sort of item or ability that will increase my speed.

3. Wear medium armor. There is no movement penalty for medium and its only slightly weaker. I'm beginning to think this may be the best choice, because I don't know how dramatically enchantments affect MR and def, especially at high levels.

4. Mix armor types. Medium gloves, helms and boots have really bad MR compared to heavy, so maybe it would be wise to wear medium armor body and heavy for the other stuff? I tried it and my movement seemed to speed up a bit.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Azmodan
BBQ ABC <3

Re: Heavy vs medium armor for priest

Post by Azmodan »

tankMage wrote:1. Increase my dex. I'm not too sure about this option. From what I gather dex increases movement speed and dodge%, but I don't know if that applies to heavy armor or how much dex I would need to make it worthwhile. Also priests are supposed to focus on str and some int and dex doesn't seem to be the best option. Still some evade and a little speed boost may be helpful.
If you go full on priest, you want to stick at a 9 str to 1 dex ratio to get the most out of blessed maces. Getting a comfortable amount of dex ( like 100 or whatever you're comfortable with) isn't a bad thing, whatever floats your boat, just remember to catch up your str eventually. On my priest I only took 100 int, to make sure i have enough for any kind of crisis I may encounter.
tankMage wrote:2. Find some sort of item or ability that will increase my speed.
As a priest you're going to be pretty slow, seeing that for the most part due to wanting to wear heavy armor. Refer to response to number one.
tankMage wrote:3. Wear medium armor. There is no movement penalty for medium and its only slightly weaker. I'm beginning to think this may be the best choice, because I don't know how dramatically enchantments affect MR and def, especially at high levels.
There isn't anything wrong with wearing medium armor, until you get to end game chances are you will have mixed armor types, that's completely fine. If you have a choice heavy is going to provide you with the most protection with defense and MR, but once again if speed really is that big of an issue for you, that's completely okay, you will not suffer for it.
tankMage wrote:4. Mix armor types. Medium gloves, helms and boots have really bad MR compared to heavy, so maybe it would be wise to wear medium armor body and heavy for the other stuff? I tried it and my movement seemed to speed up a bit.
Refer to number three.

If you have any questions and I am on, i have been playing this game for a long time. I mostly play PD but its the same thing there.
IGN: PD: Azalynn/Azmodan/Thrall/Windwalker and reg: Thrall
PD-Azalynn, Azmodan, Thrall, Windwalker
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Re: Heavy vs medium armor for priest

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Hey there. Having a slow character can be annoying (you made sure you're not over the weight load right?).

Have you considered making a half orc priest? They move full speed in heavy armor.

If you don't want to that route, you can always get some medium armor of defense or magic resistance depending on what you fight the most.

I wouldn't increase dex above 25 until you have 225 str for maximum melee damage. Also int is that important for priest, 40-50 int with about 12-16 vigour is more than enough.
IGN: 1