"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Crypt Wizard: updated for 2023 !

Post by eggmceye »

CRYPT WIZARD!
cw.jpg
Crypt Wizard is a single player dungeon builder/RTS. It's aim is to be a 2d Dungeon keeper, or even a dwarf fortress lite, though recent changes make it more like a MOBA (such as League of Legends or DotA). Right now it's just a PC game ... It's written in Java, so can theoretucally be cross platform (tho right now windows only, but I have gotten it running on linux), and uses LWJGL and Slick 2d.

tutorial: http://cryptwiz.com/dev/tute.html

DOWNLOAD build 13: https://eggmceye.itch.io/crypt-wizard - updated Aug 4, 2023

help / faq / how to play
* read the tute http://cryptwiz.com/dev/tute.html UPDATED for 2021
* play the tute map scenario ! ...
* manual.doc is inside the zip UPDATED for 2021
* post thy questions and thou shalt receive answers and hopefully not abuse

playthru video
12th build (2021)

another vid

older videos
9th build
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Re: Crypt Wizard: forums exclusive demo

Post by LordMortiferus »

Just gave it a try. Very cool so far.
Have to play it longer to give actual feedback but one thing strikes me. Do you really need the buttons (dig/chop) and (unset dig) with their respective hotkeys? I remember that in DK the mouse cursor automatically changed to digging mode when you placed it over a wall and right click was for unsetting the dig order.

The nonsense text of the title card has a typo if that is actually possible for a nonsense text. It normally starts with "Lorem ipsum [..]"
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Lorum ipsum :geek:
it's the latin that every web developer puts in as dummy copy when making a website :)

the ui is up for revision, and I'm not sure abt the buttons either
Holdway
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Holdway »

Enjoying it a lot. Beat the tutorial and tried a real game. Quickly had a problem where my stockpile wasn't big enough and didn't have enough space to build another (was right next to a portal) so decided to restart on a huge map. Dug out a 5x5 area to make certain my stockpile had plenty of room only after digging it out noticed half of the room reverted back to being walls again. Thought I'd encountered a bug, so moved inside the room dug it out again and got ready to build the stockpile as soon as the room was dug out.

That's when I discovered it wasn't a bug, but rather a cave in, which put a very quick end to my crypt wizard. Could be a new record time for someone not trying to kill themselves!

Time survived: 58 seconds
Holdway
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Holdway »

Some feedback which may or may not be useful.

I didn't feel the way you go about getting creatures worked all that satisfactory. Needing marble for spawns seemed weird and didn't like that when a creature dies you need to use a new spawner. I could be wrong but I think it's the case that there is a finite amount of marble in each game, which means if your monsters die you are losing something you can't replace.

Personally as your army is undead would feel it makes more sense to have a graveyard building which you put your corpses into, and after x amount of corpses deposited you can create a spawner skull, so that you don't have a finite number of replacements for dead creatures.

I liked the auto crafting where there is only one possible use for an item. If you added a secondary use for something, such as corpses being able to be turned to bones/brains as well as being put in a graveyard, I would favour the way the old 90's game Settlers (serf city in US) handled things where you allocate a percentage for each craft, ie set bones and graveyard each to 50% and half the corpses get butchered and the other half go to the graveyard.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yes,

regarding marble:
* I don't particularly care for it being called 'marble'
* I personally think the fact that it limits infinite respawning is an ok mechanic - this requirement could be disabled though, as part of a game setup option - and have spawners auto reset
* I do like the idea of recycling corpses - that is tentatively what the bonecrafter and alchemist are for
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

A bit more feedback:
#typo in tutorial "craft a pedestal" Quote:" You will one of these to build[..]"
#7 dwarfs crashes client

#resizeable window mode
#scaling of sprites and text with window size or in fullscreen mode
#dir-keyboard in put is pretty fast and feels inaccurate
#maybe always show impenetrable rock on the whole map, like in Dungeon Keeper, to make designing the dungeon easier.
#close build/crafting windows when pressing "e" to dig
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

thanks morty
Just posted an update: build 10 http://cryptwiz.com/files/cw.zip

* basically the same thing with more gui buttons and select lists in the game set up screens
* fixed the 7 dwarf crash
* the purple undiggable rock is always visible

if you are updating, you can just cut/paste the cryptwizard.exe file from the zip into your game directory
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

so, i tried to play. it loads up fine and whatnot. however when i try to play and the map loads, theres black lines across all the tiles (thick. horizontal. lines.)
so i cant see what im doing, do you know of a way to fix this?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

screenshot?
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

from what i can tell the other screens work just fine, the tileset looks okay too

EDIT* another question, is there a way to claim tiles manually? sometimes it gets stuck and doesnt change the dirt floors
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that's fucked up
have you updated java lately?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

ibrowniedefender wrote:so, i tried to play. it loads up fine and whatnot. however when i try to play and the map loads, theres black lines across all the tiles (thick. horizontal. lines.)
so i cant see what im doing, do you know of a way to fix this?
Had the same problem on my 8 year old laptop (XP, crappy old intel GFX card with either no supporting pixel shader or ver. 2.0)
Java should have been up to date.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that's def not a programming fault
either drivers, old ass hw or libraries ... humf
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Definitely old hardware with drivers intel does not bother to update anymore. If you care I can try new/other drivers for the card as well as tweaking the cards settings and give it another try - otherwise I leave that machine to rot in the corner. Btw the card is from the GMA 900 series with a 915GM/GMS, 910GL chipset supporting pixel shader 2.0, dx 9.0 as well as vertexshader 2.0
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:Definitely old hardware with drivers intel does not bother to update anymore. If you care I can try new/other drivers for the card as well as tweaking the cards settings and give it another try - otherwise I leave that machine to rot in the corner. Btw the card is from the GMA 900 series with a 915GM/GMS, 910GL chipset supporting pixel shader 2.0, dx 9.0 as well as vertexshader 2.0
Yes, yes, I know some of these words X-D
IGN: 1
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I know the world old ...
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

yeah. not my prosessors/gfx card's fault :p let me update java
treos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by treos »

ah, nevermind what i was going to say. my laptop isn't as ancient as yours, ibrowniedefender, and i think my java is up to date. haven't seen any games or programs ask me to update it or any alerts in a while. yet the game comes up with the same black lines as yours and yes laptop here too but not 8 years old, 2012 iirc.

i could post a copy of that dxdiag thing if anyone thinks it'd help sort any problems out.

and lastly, when are laptops in general NOT crappy?! desktop, even a crummy windows 7 one, ALWAYS beats a laptop :( and is something i STILL don't have. (looking for one has become...well with this laptop still functioning so i don't absolutely require a new desktop but still... would be nice >.>)

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT, YOU KILLED YOUR OWN BEST OPERATING SYSTEM EVER! :fp: :mad:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Can't play crypt wizard on my old win xp machine. Crappy memory and shitty cards or its on board. Meh damn boat anchor can't even take iPhone pics. Ill try to purchase a win 7 laptop from best buy when I go there and ask for online prices. I saved a printout dron June first.

I can okay my emus and escape from the vault though. Guess ill finish it on multiple alts.
ZUPS!!!!