Ideas thread 2013

Moderator: EUO Moderators

MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Re: Ideas thread 2013

Post by MoonGoat »

eggmceye wrote:cin-d's zombie dragon is actually a blue or white that is skinned as a zombie, so it's already there
Nice. Is it possible to buy avatars for them then? If so; how much do you want for them?
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

One possible way to tint terrain tiles may be to have a transparent 'furniture' type object that is just a gray square and then overlay on the terrain tile you want to tint. Of course the problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to place any other object in that particular square and that it would tint all colors of the terrain, not just the gray ones.
Celerion
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Celerion »

Idea: When hunting in a party, people often tell, that they reached the next level. What about an in-game-message about it? So, when someone in a party "feels expierenced", it automatically says to the other party-members:
[playername] has reached level [level].
(Where [level] should be just the current level +1, I wouldn't care about people stocking up levels without meditating at a shrine.)
----
Oh, and another thing: In general, I like arties and mystic'ed stuff glowing. On avatars, I like it sometimes, but some other times, it annoys me a bit, to be honest (that's one reason, I use a mythic oak crook+9, which doesn't glow). So I'd love to have a game-option to switch glowing of artefacts on avatars on or off. Maybe some day ... ;)
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

People have been talkning about raising the level cap for a really long time. It would really be a thing to get some old players back and current players to stay for longer. The problem is that this would probably make some people almost godlike.

Here's the solution; It seems like many would just like to grind to higher levels to show off, like collecting items for dispaly. So how about removing the level cap entirely? No maximum level at all, but no stats can be gained after reaching level 450 (and 1k on PD). Everybody will be happy and a reg scoreboard could be added again :)
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that's be done before - but instead using diminished stats - ie the further you went over 300 I think it was the less your stats were worth, and everyone hated it
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Level cap should stay. There is not enough content to fill the gap between what we have now and what we would need at say level 1000.

I think this game would benefit from the usuall MMO model of having a cap, create more content for levels higher than the cap and then increase the cap. That way you get nice consistent content to level up in.

Let me use WoW for an example.. Now there is a reason why this game has been out since 2004, and have 7.6 million subscribers at even the lowest of times. They have the content to provide and when there is a need for more, they create a new expansions of content and increase the cap just enough to complete that content.

If egg were to do an expansion like system where he increases the cap for x amount of levels then create the content to fill those levels, that would be more interesting and keep the game healthy with content.
With the cap removed, what're you going to do if and when you hit 1000? Loop Blood Moor over and over? By that time BM's experience would be like trying to level a 450 in nord's jail..

With levels, there should be content to go with them and the best way to do that would be to do a little at a time.
~Mario
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

1up blocks so we get instant levels? :) :P :) :P :) :cow:
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Nah, but they could replace what the shrines do.
~Mario
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

egg: This wouldnt be different from how it is now, except numbers for people who like the grinding and competing on a scoreboard.

jumpstart: I dont think a real increase of the level cap will do any good. There are too many of us who dont even bother trying to reach 450. And i like this game better than WoW, otherwise i would have played that instead.
―Cave Johnson
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

How about meditating at shrines when you're not leveling up to get a Rune *name of Shrine that you can put in your inventory to use when you want to. Then you wouldn't have to walk all the way back to the shrine all the time. These would weigh either nothing or as much as say a single bullet/arrow. Probably make them soulbound. Hah, then you can go pray whenever. Maybe they could also cure res sickness too. Sure you'll have to spend some time doing this at shrines in your off time but maybe each time you gain a Rune of *Virtue* you get a small tidbit of meditation also.

I almost thought of the idea that praying at the shrine (typical period it takes for gaining level, or curing res sickness) to get these could also maybe give you some experience (albeit only a small bit) for each time you get a Rune of Virtue. Experience could be 5xyour med% so say meditation is 20 you'd earn 100 xp per successful time you get a Rune of that Virtue (of course you have to hit m to med again so no cheesing here).

Maybe later these could be used in crafting as well. Making an item have multiple uses is always nice and I personally feel shrines are pretty much neglected a good portion of the time on all servers.

Maybe eventually, if you collect enough of these Runes of Virtue you could craft material of that virtue and build your own shrine in your house.

Later still, that shrine could end up with multiple types of Virtues. When the shrine is lit and a virtue is selected (assuming you've built that part of the shrine (probably represented by the standard brazier unless we get color tinted fire) then it would open up a Virtue Dungeon in your house for you to explore.

I dunno. Its something different if you want to be all spiritual in a game.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I have yet to see a free game as good as EUO. Even wyvern and Dransik pale in so many ways (though each of those do have some interesting features).
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

MoonGoat wrote:egg: This wouldnt be different from how it is now, except numbers for people who like the grinding and competing on a scoreboard.

jumpstart: I dont think a real increase of the level cap will do any good. There are too many of us who dont even bother trying to reach 450. And i like this game better than WoW, otherwise i would have played that instead.
If there is more content added, people would be more inclined to reach that level. And I'm not trying to say "be more like WoW", I'm simply saying that their current system works well and could help to have a similar typs system implemented.
~Mario
Holdway
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Holdway »

With regards to the level cap and keeping people interested when they hit 450 what I would personally find most motivational would be the option to remort the character back to level 1 but with a slightly stronger start base. Perhaps something like an extra 25% skill cap, and a small amount of bonus INT, DEX and STR.

No one gets past level 450 this way, and while you are letting people get stronger than a 450 would normally be, they really do have to work for it, and the time it will take for someone to do this enough times to be significantly stronger than a current 450, would be enough to add some higher end content.
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

Holdway wrote:With regards to the level cap and keeping people interested when they hit 450 what I would personally find most motivational would be the option to remort the character back to level 1 but with a slightly stronger start base. Perhaps something like an extra 25% skill cap, and a small amount of bonus INT, DEX and STR.

No one gets past level 450 this way, and while you are letting people get stronger than a 450 would normally be, they really do have to work for it, and the time it will take for someone to do this enough times to be significantly stronger than a current 450, would be enough to add some higher end content.
How about tournaments then? PvP in general wouldnt be fair if some ppl were stronger than others at the same level by default.
―Cave Johnson
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Holdway wrote:With regards to the level cap and keeping people interested when they hit 450 what I would personally find most motivational would be the option to remort the character back to level 1 but with a slightly stronger start base. Perhaps something like an extra 25% skill cap, and a small amount of bonus INT, DEX and STR.

The game as it stands, is a grindfest, your idea would make it even more of a grindfest.

The game, in my opinion, lacks of content and without content, it will be a game of the past that everyone eventually got bored with.
~Mario
Holdway
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Holdway »

MoonGoat wrote:

How about tournaments then? PvP in general wouldnt be fair if some ppl were stronger than others at the same level by default.
It wouldn't have to effect tournaments. Keep the existing ones, everyone who has done the rebirthing would enter an unlimited category above the ultra elites.

With regards to the grindfest, if you analyse the situation the idea reduces grinding. The options a player has at level 450 are the following: -

1. Grind for items
2. Create an alt
3. Stop playing

All of those options are still open to the player. But now if you choose to create an alt, you can sacrifice your high level in exchange for less grind on the new alt, with increased multi classing options to keep things different and enjoyable.

The real grindfest is staying at 450 and grinding for the best possible items, and if you look at who is online, generally speaking it's people who are below 450 showing that actually the people who get to 450 and continue to contribute to the community are generally going to be motivated to keep playing by playing new characters.

Yes more content is needed, but it's not going to happen fast enough to keep players from getting bored, give them something else to play with so they at least keep playing the game. The only way this idea is more grind, is if it encourages someone who was going to stop playing to instead make a new alt. Yes they do more grind than they would have done, but that is surely better than having them basically stop playing?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Truth is you can grind in many ways even if you had dozens of things for content. Examples: (this is assuming various things were in game)
Grind for Levels
Grind for pvp Awards
Grind for items
Grind for top guild
Grind for best house
Grind for most xx type of monster killed
Grind for skills
Grind for construction of xx items
Grind to build an army
Grind to build a fortress
Grind to find xx rare event items
Grind for special this or that or whatever.. just take a look at various games. You'll always be "GRINDING" in some sort of fashion or other. Hell, you could grind insults to see how many times you piss someone off or grind posts... YEAH #2 RIGHT HERE BABY!!
SanJorge
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by SanJorge »

How about rogue pets
gnome learn traps and locks skill is based on lvl (so max is 75% locks/traps)
goblins learn traps only
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Super Santa Action for Xmas?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

eggmceye wrote: goals for 2013
- finish and polish the client rewrite
- either make EftV into a multiplayer game or release it as commercial roguelike (probably former at this stage)
- revamp weekly into a sophisticated multiplayer roguelike
- move all NG players to reg, close NG as a standalone server
- make NG and LOTL as character creation options on all servers
- probably also make those rand dungeons regen everytime they are cleared or even when they are entered/exited (like angband)
- moving lvl 1000 chars from PD to reg
- audit all maps, delete/revamp any that are dated
completed
- scrap collapsed mines but make treacherous caves diggable
- LOTL as character creation options on all servers (I did this right?)

finish and polish the client rewrite
I think it's pretty ok now - especially inventory+mouse. Tho I still press d to drop. and I keep forgetting that / search is on by default (at least you can turn it off)

make EftV into a multiplayer game
I've thought about it but after playing it through thought it was boring - and it needs a lot of work to make it interesting. The classes are ok though.

move all NG players to reg, close NG as a standalone server
difficult job I've forgotten about - but possibly worth doing still

revamp weekly into a sophisticated multiplayer roguelike
still want to do this but no progress :mad:

probably also make those rand dungeons regen everytime they are cleared or even when they are entered/exited (like angband)
I think those dungeons are ok but making angband style dungeons is still on my mind - just put them somewhere else