RFC - New Weekly Ladder Ideas

Permanent Death and No Grind specific discussion goes here.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

RFC - New Weekly Ladder Ideas

Post by Keighn »

I figured I'd post this since Severian said a fresh thread gets looked at more than rehashing an old thread. This thread is all about ideas to make the ladder more viable for those who choose to play it. First thing I'm putting out there is some of my old ideas. I love the random continent but think the rest is just old news and needs to be redone. Many would like the challenge of a nethack, rogue, or what-have-you challenge. The only static Thing I think there should be is starting towns. There are only 8 towns and only 8 shrines. The towns are related to the shrines and named thus. In all functionality they are identical, albeit some of the NPCs are in different places. NPCS and various tiles are not shown on the map. When I find a hose place I'll put up the maped dat files.
I decided to waste some of my time today and draw up the 8 generic town maps modeled after each stone. There really isn't much to them and they're supposed to be rather arena-like. Features of the maps that they all have:
1. Town Portal area
2. /binding area
3. 4 NPCS that teach either: general combat skills, monk abilities, fighter abilities, rogue abilities.
4. 1 Quest NPC
5. No guards
6. Generic Tools (anvil, alchemy bench, Braziers, Fountains, Well, etc)
Town 1 - Town of Spirituality - White

Town 2 - Town of Compassion - Yellow

Town 3 - Town of Sacrifice - Orange

Town 4 - Town of Valor - Red

Town 5 - Town of Justice - Green

Town 6 - Town of Honesty - Blue

Town 7 - Town of Honor - Purple

Town 8 - Town of Humility - Black

The Arena of Death - A PVP Challenge Combat Arena
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: RFC - New Weekly Ladder Ideas

Post by Keighn »

I really think since many people buy what they want there is almost no incentive for others to even attempt it. Here's some options.

1. Bring back a ladder database for who's won that week in that month.

2. If using a name that is on another alt from a different server give them the little *Minotaur* award icon next to that name on the server of their choice. People like status symbols.

3. The rewards - First top 3 spots gain a reward:

1st place:
*Minotaur* Award Icon (if on an alt from another server of the same name their choice of pd or reg)
50 Adamantium Coins
6 Crystal Coins
6 Glass Coins
3 silver Coins
Any 3 Items of their choosing (easy top 3 spots in inventory- so i'd suggest they dump their gear or bank it if there is no winner)

2nd Place:
*Goblin* Award Icon (if on an alt from another server of the same name their choice of pd or reg)
10 Adamantium Coins
3 Crystal Coins
3 Glass coins
2 Silver Coins
Any 2 Items of their choosing (top item in their inventory)

3rd Place:
*Slime* Award Icon (if on an alt from another server of the same name their choice of pd or reg)
5 Adamantium Coins
1 Crystal Coin
1 Glass Coin
1 Silver Coin
Any 1 Items of their choosing (top item in their inventory)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Other Old ideas

Post by Keighn »

Catherine wrote:..... Might be kinda cool if every week was based around only one class... IE week 1 = monks. week 2 = rogues... so on and so forth.
1. Nix Newb island (characters start with standard equipment based on class along with basic spells of their class if applicable).

2. Ditch the university/arena/DTK/Library

3. No Partying - Everyone is set to PVP from the start.

4. Since towns are now special. Old quests are out and new quests are simple snatch and grab xxx item or kill xxx mob dependent on town.

5. Ditch all towns and go with 8 town that all look the same. (town comprise of res spot,town portalspot, Random class skill NPC (ie. backstab, longswords special, gouge, etc) Once I count the # of "specials" it could be determined what random specials are available in what town.

6. Charactes start in a random town. As all towns are basically equal not a huge difference.

7. All dungeons are random dungeons and not the dungeons you know and love of regular euo. (think Rank Dungeon/treacherous caverns/farimond) Perhaps some new randomization.

8. Random Polypile recipes every week. This keeps you guessing.

9. New stones Quest. All stones go to one of the 8 virtue shrines. Maendir is nixxed as its cheesy as hell for the competition depending on class/race. Each town has a virtue so is probably named after the virtue (doesn't matter Honorville, valor Haven, w/e). There's an NPC there that will give you a quest to get the stone. The quest is easy "Kill large number of a certain mob, return and the stone is yours." (since towns are redone its simpler this way). Another option is to just nix those quests as well.

Stones don't do anything but activate the shrine guardian which you must kill to reveal the ladder to that shrine dungeon.
Order of toughness:
White - pests
Yellow - goblins/orcs/bandits/mages
Orange - Lesser Undead
Red - Trolls/ettins/cyclops etc
Green - Minotaurs/zorn/firelizards/basilisks
Blue - Greater Undead
Purple - Daemons/devils/fire daemons/nightmares/firefoxes/mothras
Black - Dragons/golems

Shrine dungeons are bottomless each level makes the monster 1 level tougher (ie. lvl 4 on the pest dungeon would be lvl 4 pests (think how pets works) (level 20 troll dungeon has lvl 20 trolls).

Might want to make the random dungeons either bottomless or try a 16 or 20 lvl formula to make monsters more varied than the current formula. (Natrually harder the further down you go -- thinking as per Akalabeth, ultima I,II,III style here)

Dungeons on the map are random so it could be as per: Treacherous Caves, Rank Dungeon, Tower of Sylvenguard, Farimond Dungeon, Lava Tubes, Twisted Forest (some new map), Desolate City (new random map), Sorrow Swamps (new map).
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Arena of Death

Post by Keighn »

*Note on mini-map if you have a new item: Lens of Insight (or w/e) You can see your fellow players on the Mini-map.

I swear almost no one pvps since either Zorgon or when we had weekly on the normal pd server. This feature is simple. If you're on the same map and you are within screen view then you can type /challenge and both or anyone else in that area will be transported to the Arena of Death.

Many can go in but only 1 will come out. There is no exit and it might be possible that no one comes out if you're stupid enough to stand on lava. A better arena would be randomly generated so its a new surprise each time but still there is no exit.

Until I find a free site to host shit besides images you can just email me at: banemcdeath@gmail.com to get the maped files. There's not much to see and I might need to tweak them with a few more features.
Kracky
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Kracky »

I would also agree that Weekly needs updated, the winner getting more then OR either addy,glass,crystal,silver coins is a badly needed incentive to play it. Maybe winner gets a "Voucher" worth X coins of type. I would also suggest bonus prizes if applicable the winner(s)

1. Have completed `maybe` 100+ quests
2. Have reached X level (post or not remort)100 ? 200 ?
3. Have gained 100 skill in a number of skills ( not just weapon ones ofc)
4. Possibly transferring the winner to PD -WITHOUT- any gear, allowing a person to start a character in weekly and if wins moves it to PD and he keeps playing that character.

Giving much smaller prizes for 2nd or even 3rd would get us more players as well

As for the random map....other then making it take longer to do quests based on place location, it really means little overall sadly.

Keighns ideas of a more basic towns,dungeons, special places map would make it a lot more easy to deal with (thus removing quests, but random kill X for Y, DTK kinda thing, fetch Y item for Z reward, etc... random quests could replace current ones)
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Has the requirements for winning the ladder changed? Because last Sunday there were 3 characters over level 30, but none of them won.
impsy
How do I attack?

Post by impsy »

these are amazing ideas and this is what should be done, endless dungeons would be awesome too!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

It's 3 lvl 40+ now.

Biggest problem with my idea might be PVPing. I'm really uncertain about how balanced pvp is. Then again, if mages suck vs. pvp but are fast levelers it sort of evens out. They just have to remain hidden while some other class hunts them.
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

A question about PVP on the ladder, from my understanding if a high level player attacks a low level player and kills them then the high level player loses XP and possibly levels. Does the high level player though still lose XP if the low level player is the one who starts the combat and the high level player ends up killing them in self defense?