Monk Guide by SiNeR

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Monk Guide by SiNeR

Post by SiNeR »

At the beginig i would like to tell that all of this stuff I wrote IS NOT an oficial game info ( unless Egg aprovess it :) ) all of this stuff are my personla thoughts about this class. I hope it will be usefull for someone...
Thx to Sephiroth, Saverian, Maverick for all your help

Monk:

I. Base Skills:

Monk is a character wich is using Unarmed weapons and Sanctiy spells, they also have aspects (its a pasive buff wich gives
you attacs special bonuses). All of the special melle skills, aspects and an utility spells were posted by Egg here:
Abilities and Spells

II. Stats:

Monks are class wich uses 50/50 stat weight witch means that to get full potencial of your weapon ( as an Attack Strenght
"AS") you should keep you strenght nad dexterity ratio close too or eqaul. It means that Shrine of sacrifice is perfect for you
Shrines - the list of the shrines and a map where all of them are lockated).

Ofc as a Monk you will use spells, so you need mana... and a best source of mana is ofcourse Inteligece.
For begining you will need to add 2-3 lvl`s in inteligence shrine( Shrine of Honesty-link abowe), but for high end playing
you will need about 100 Inteligence or something close too 100.

III. Weapons and Gear

Weapons:

As a monk you will use all kind of Unarmed Weapons that means you are looking for all kind of
gloves, neko-de, katar, brass knuckles and ofc you can use your deadly bare hands as well
As for weapons remember that:

Undeads (zombies, vampires, skeletons etc)are vulnerable to bludgeoning damage (and ofc Sliver tinted weapons)
that makes Brass knuckles and gloves of attack perfect for them

Hellspawns (demons, balrons for example) are vulnerable to slashing damage
that makes Neko-de best for them

Dragons(and all kind of wyrmkind) are vulnerable to piercing damage
that means you need Katars to slaughter them

Ofc higher "+" on weapon means it deals more Demage. You will need to get good Tinted wepon (best tints are: Adamantium,
Vampiric, Blackrock, Copper, Barbed) all information about Tints and what they give you can find here: Item Materials

For high ending play, in my humble opinion, best kind of weapon for monk is adamantium neko-de of leeching +3
(it means its adam neko-de +6 of leech mana +3) these kind of weapons (leeching ones) makes you feel comfortable with
mana spending to cast your spells and abilties.
Ofc you can use all kind of enchanted Weapons to add some freaky statuses on mobs you are fighting from XJ(changes the mob to rat and lowers its Defense), AEP(freezez the target for a short amount of time) to VOG(chain lightning you foes) or IJO (mana burn).
All of the enchants and bonuses you will find here: Enchants and others

Or just use ARTYS:
- Ripleys Claw: Neko-de +7 and +20 dex
- Facewound: Katar +7 and +7 Def
- Long kiss Goodnight: Brass knuckles +7 and (AEP)

Armors:

Monk class is using all kind of Unarmed Gear it means: all kind of Robes and Gi armor are good/best for you:

head: Cap
torso: Robe, Gi(torso)
legs: Gi(legs)
hands: Gloves
feet: Sandals, Swamp boots, Dragonscale Boots
offhands: Rune, Rod, Orb

Why I say unarmed is the best?? Well when you will use Unarmed items in all slots you will get bonus to Defense wich lowers
you demage taken from mele attacks, its very good for the beggining because along with you levels the more important
thing than you Defense (Def)[maybe beside shadow warriors] will be Magic Resistance (MR). There is also one more thing that makes UA gear
better than others. While wearing UA gear on all slots makes you character deal CRITICAL strikes to the mobs you fight with. Repleacing only one piece of gear for non-UA(like leather, medium or heavy) makes you NO longer deal Critical strikes (I noticed this during some tests thx Severian for a hint), so again the choice is yours...

For lower Lvl`s the best kind of Gear for you will be "Silk "tined armor like for example silk cap +2
(it means it gives +2 bonus to def and MR) ofc cap of MR+2 will give you more Magic Resist than silk +2 remember that.
Best in slot gear for you will be Artys that gives you more than one bonus (they gives 2 or even 3 stats bonuses)
but so far there are no list of artys impleted to the game.

You can also chose some rewards from Daily Scavenger Hunt. The Monk set is preety usefull when you starting your journey with EUO

More about Magic Resistance (MR)- its a stat that reduces demage taken from Magic spells. Generaly you get 1 point per LVL
and 2 MR points for every 3 Inteligence. As for Strenght and Dexterity it is 2 MR every 6 points. That means you need
60 STR or DEX to get MR equal to an item with +1 MR (it actulay gives 20 MR points).

Shields and Off-hands:

About Shields... Monk can use Shields but while using it some of your abilities WONT work correctly or they wont work at all
for example your Aspects wont add extra magic dmg(Hydra, Drake, Yetti) but you will do more dmg to fire dragon with yeti
aspect, but for example while using Snake or Turte aspect wearing shield wont get you any problems, poison from Snake
is working, also a bonus DEF and MR from Turtle.
Thing is not working are specials (spleeping fist, quivering palm, throating strine)... after some update Egg changed this . All in all
if you need extra MR (from both shield and Aspect) and you dont care about your dmg done go for it and use shield.

But if you want to do more DMG you must consider wearing Orb of health or Orb of Mana, Orb of Power, Philosopher Stone, Rod of Power (still good opition for a monk). Remember that orbs (health, mana, power) can break after your dead so always carry a few in your backpack. Philosopher Stone, Rod of Power wont break.
There are also RUNES and RODS (they dont brake after your death like orbs)... in february Egg added them to the game (only plain one so far) wich can be WoT`ed to add AS bonus, Stat bonus or MR bonus. But remember AS on Off-hand item wont add demageit only adds AS, so in that case the best opition for WoTing will be MR or Stat bonus.

I personaly dont use shiled, im thinking of geting wot`ed MR rune but its only me.. the choice is YOURS

BIS gear in my opinion (for Human due to Mani spam):

Weapon: Adamantium Neko-de of leeching +3, Copper Katar of Leeching +3, Long Kiss Godnight (vamp, adam, copper)
off hand: Orb of Health (+10% of base Health), Orb of Power (+AS), Philosopher Stone (+vig and health), Rune of MR+3/+4, Eye of the Beholder(regen, mana, +20int)
Head: Ironfist Cap (+4 Def, +6 MR)[pref silk]
Torso: Ironfist Gi(torso) (+4 Def, +25 Str)[pref silk], Sanguine Gi (torso)[silk] (from scav hunt daily) and ofc Estorath's Vestments,
Hands: goldwave Gloves +4/+5 MR, any high stat gloves (+30 or more... dex or str), Ironfist gloves (vamp, battleweave)[counts as a weapon]
Legs: Ironfist Gi pants (+4 Def, +25 Dex)[pref silk]
Feet: Swampies (+3 Def, +20 Dex), goldwave swamp boots/dragonscale boots +4/+5 MR, or 30+ stat items
Ring1: Rogueband (+5 AS, +10 MR, +15 Dex)
Ring2: Warriorband (+5 AS, +10 MR, +15 Str)
Neckle: Pats spiked coral (+5NV, +5def, +20Dex), Golwid's Obsidian Charm(+5Def, +5 MR, +20Str), Estorrath's Carcenet (+20 int, +5mr, +15 vig)

for other Races best kind of weapons are Vamp tint.
Also when you are a half-troll bare in mind that using "silence fist" makes your next attack deal double dmg so you have 2 choices:
1. use vamp weapon in main hand to get more hp regen from strike
2. use (adam, blacrock) in main hand to dael more dmg

IV. Races:

All under in "Race" section is for Regular Server only... for PD is whole different story and I`ll try to write some soon...

Your Monk will deffinetly want to be a Human. I will explain later why it is the best option for this class. However you
can choose from a list of many races impleted in game, here is link to all races and their bonuses: Races

So why Human? The ansfer is simple you want to play dual-class Monk/Priest in the end game, and the human is the only
race that alows you to maximize two classes. You will need to sacrifice some lvl ups in Shrine of Versatility
where you rise your skill cap by 2% per lvl(it is deffinetly WORTH IT). You will ask me probably why I need priest
skills to kill monsters? And I will ansfer: "Mani" and "Banish" spells. Mani is a self healing spell that helps you in
many critical sitations and Banish is an area effect that destroys all evil summons(like demons, clones and all the
similiar stuff). All priest spells (its Piety and Divinity school) you will find here: Priest spells

Other aspect on chosing human race is 125% class cap so you dont need to add extra class cap from the beginig. And
another big positive is 10% extra experience from kiling monsters and completing quests(In comparison with other races).

However if you dont like to be human Monk a Half-troll is also very nice... dual weild is very powerfull, also the pasive health regeneriation ( same as ring on regeneration), makes this race very interesting for a future monk.

The other nice option is Bloodkin (+AS racial bonus) is very tempting, also all bloodkin attacks are Leeching (not as good like leech weapon but still can solve many problems with mana)

PD options:

All these are consider Monk/Priest... It is becasue of the monk specific skills wich wont work wile using non-monk weapon,
or using shileds.

Human - 200% total class skills + 10% more exp from killed mobs (choosing this is very handy for lvling up and maximizing all your skills)

Half-troll - dualwield + hp regen (DUALWEILD is the king! rly this makes our monk speedy and furious beast, along with hp regen makes powerfull combinaton). Remember that Regen stacks, so you can use regen rings to increse the effect!

Draconian - 10% more dmg and +15% MR ( only cons are we dont get 100% in priest but dmg bonus and MR bonus is MUTCH better!!). Remember you got Drake form to travel around (fly over a mountains etc)!

Bloodkin - +10% int, each attack is leeching(leech mana), +AS bonus (alomst sure AS bonus dont give dmg) and a +10% MR (heh we get here a lot of buffs, most important are leeching attacks and a MR bonus, and when we add little AS bonus (5%) and a 10% int bonus bloodkin comes as a preety tempting option)

while multiclassing on Regular server is possible only with human and in 90% cases it is someting/PRIEST some players
choose PD server (pernament death). When you reach 75lvl on PD you get an option to /remort your character, wich
gives you +75% in class skills for non-humans and +100% for humans. Here we come with our Monk, there can be many
combinations but the obvious ones are posted UP.

other dual class option can be Rogue (mostly for lock, traps skills) to safely run through all traped chests in game.
But again to be complete monk/rogue you must choose Human.

V. How to Play:

Special Abilities:
So you created your monk and now yo want to know how to own in EUO? From the beginig you will be very weak and defenseless
but your hands are deadly and never forget about that. As you probably know you will get new skills and spells along
with rising your Sanctiy and Unarmed skills. To get new skills you will need to kill arena master. Once you get
Sleeping Fist(30 % of UA skill) bind it to F3 [its a Shift +c for skills] so you will be able to use is by
pressing Ctrl+shift+direction and under a F5 key bind Mani spell(you should get this as fast as possible) so you
can use it by presing Ctrl+Alt+Direction. Slepping fist is amazing skill it deals VERY LOW DMG (about 1) but your
next atack on sleeping target is DOUBLE DMG so use this very often along with Mani spell (you need to rise UP your
piety skill).
When you reach 60% of UA skill you will get throat strike, and this is a skill you need to use on healing/casting mobs..
At some lvl you will fight mostly with that kind of monsters so this skill will become very handy
(replace Sleeping Fist with throat strike if you like to close down your foes )
At 90% of UA skillyou will get quivering palm (you will crit the target often than normal) its a usefull skill but I never
consider it as a replace of Throat Strike or Sleeping Fist

Aspects:
I personaly use Aspect of the Yeti and Aspect of the Turtle...but from the beginig you will use Hydra nad Drake`s one.
aspect of the turtle may be preety usefull when you need extra MR to kill some Hard mobs (like dragons etc) but when your
gear is high enough to kill them without any problems you should choose Yeti or Snake one.

Sanctity:
Definetly worht of use skills are:

teleport (circle 4 - req 40%) Sanct Por (similiar to mages IP and cyjan pot) [Bind IT]{its a Shift + Function key like F1}

seize (circle 7 - req 70%) Sanct Rel Xen (Its an AWESOME SKILL, use this as often as you like... Personaly i do this way:
i Seize monster and hit Him until i get 50% rage then I use Throat Strike to silence and I keep attacking till the mob dies
99% of killed mobs dont even move, VERY USEFULL for heavy moving monsters).[Bind IT!!]

mirror images (circle 9 - req 90%) Sanct Xen Quas ( another Very usefull skill for soloing hard to beat mosters, it creates
2 mirrors of you that taunts all the monsters in area and makes them focus attack on them). [Bind IT!]

phase shift (circle 10 - req 100%) Sanct Rel Yelm (you saving life skill use it only in very CRITICAL SITUATIONS).[Bind it]

VI.Other Usefulls:

If you are Newbie player you will definetly want to start training you Alchemy and Inscription skills. Pots and Scrolls
are very usefull... you will find all about alchemy here: Alchemy
and about Inscription here: Inscription

You shoul also start to skill up your Cooking: Cooking and get it to 20% for Omeletes
for another +2% exp from hunting
Last edited by SiNeR on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:31 am, edited 31 times in total.
"we are elite, you are not!!"
-goblin elite
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Monk Guide by SiNeR

Post by Aerie »

SiNeR wrote:Armors:

Monk class is using all kind of Unarmed Gear it means: all kind of Robes and Gi armor are good/best for you:

head: Cap
torso: Robe, Gi(torso)
legs: Gi(legs)
hands: Gloves
feet: Swamp boots
You left out dragonscale boots as an option for UA footwear..
Also, it doesn' t have to be unarmored at all. Just "proper" for Monks. Look at dirtyking, he's a great monk. Only UA thing on him is rings/neck/weapons.
SiNeR wrote:Weapon: Adamantium Neko-de of leeching +3, Copper Katar of Leeching +3
off hand: Orb of Health (+10% of base Health)
Head: Ironfist Cap (+4 Def, +6 MR)
Torso: Ironfist Gi(torso) (+4 Def, +25 Str)
Hands:
Legs: Ironfist Gi pants (+4 Def, +25 Dex)
Feet: SWampies (+3 Def, +20 Dex)
Ring1: Rogueband (+5Def, +10 MR, +15 Dex)
Ring2: Warriorband (+5 Def, +10 MR, +15 Str)
Neckle: Amulet of Sacrifice (+20Str, +20Dex), Golwid's Obsidian Charm(+5Def, +5 MR, +20Str)
You don't need leeching as a weapon, any weapon will work fine.
For a torso, you could also use Estorath's Vestments, yes rare, but it is a robe with +MR.
As for hands, you could use gloves of attack and no weapons at all. don't leave your hands blank. And while you're on ironfist items, the ironfist gloves has an enchant on it, good too..
Swampies are useless. Use dragonscale boots or swamps boots with MR or +stat.
Rings don't have to be bands, and if they are, you could think about Magebands, as they get intel so you don't have to waste levels in intel for casting purposes. As well as, you can use tinted or plain +stat rings, or MR again. Not just bands.
Ammy of Sacrifice is useless as well. Pats Spiked collar is good for the +5 MR/NV and +20 dex, as well as Estorath Carcenate, as it gives +5 MR, 20 int, and +15 vigour. vigour is usefull a a monk, as you can cast longer without meditating as much in between.
And yet again, you don't have to us UA gear..
SiNeR wrote:IV. Races:

Your Monk will deffinetly want to be a Human. I will explain later why it is the best option for this class. However you
can choose from a list of many races impleted in game, here is link to all races and their bonuses:
http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Races

So why Human? The ansfer is simple you want to play dual-class Monk/Priest in the end game, and the human is the only
race that alows you to maximize two classes. You will need to sacrifice some lvl ups in Shrine of Versatility
where you rise your skill cap by 2% per lvl(it is deffinetly WORTH IT). You will ask me probably why I need priest
skills to kill monsters? And I will ansfer: "Mani" and "Banish" spells. Mani is a self healing spell that helps you in
many critical sitations and Banish is an area effect that destroys all evil summons(like demons, clones and all the
similiar stuff). All priest spells (its Piety and Divinity school) you will find
here: http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Ma ... ellcasting
Other aspect on chosing human race is 125% class cap so you dont need to add extra class cap from the beginig. And
another big positive is 10% extra experience from kiling monsters and completing quests(In comparison with other races).
Why? .........

That goes for any class, but, dual classing isn't what it's all about. Monk Half Trolls are the bomb with dual weild UA weapons (like a rogue and short swords). Very fast and usefull.

Draconian Monks are good too. You hit +10% harder, as well as you gain a +15% MR increase. Yet again, helpful.
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

Updated dragonscales boots - thx for remind... i totaly forgot about them...

as for the Rest.. as I said these are my personal thoughts.. and mostly my style of beeing a monk.. ofc anyone can choose other gear, race etc. I just wanted to create a thread where all Newbie Players can come and read sth about a class they want to play and a place where all the experienced players share Their thoughts about a class, because so far i didnt find a place where i could read about playing a monk...
-goblin elite
Aerie
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Aerie »

Ah, well i didn't see the "opinion" part. I thought you was telling people for monk that's like, thy only way to go and it's not. xD

It's all good.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

First of all, thanks SiNeR for the monk guide. I am trying to clean it up so we can put it into the manual. For this I would like to try something new at http://piratepad.net/loAvFKVS0d where everyone is invited to help and you SiNeR can check if you still approve it, since it is yours after all. I have already started and made it to line 30. If anyone wants to help I would suggest the following:
1) spell and grammar checking
2) changing the format to fit euo wiki
3) no change of content if possible - suggestions to change something should be posted here first.

that said, let us see how it goes. Sev I am counting on you when you are back in the Outback hugging Kangaroos again =D
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

updated!
-goblin elite
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

Egg, sticky this thread!! Infact let's all make guides and have them stickied.
petterchan
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Post by petterchan »

SiNeR wrote: Weapons:

As a monk you will use all kind of Unarmed Weapons that means you are looking for all kind of
gloves, neko-de, katar, brass knuckles and ofc you can use your deadly bare hands as well
As for weapons remember that:

Undeads (zombies, vampires, skeletons etc)are vulnerable to bludgeoning damage (and ofc Sliver tinted weapons)
that makes Brass knuckles and gloves of attack perfect for them
i like his i really love the brass knuckles coz the impact is cool
the best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.- buy brass knuckles
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

What was the reason for removing aspects with use on non-monk weapons? Kind of makes dual classing with Monk pointless unless you're Monk/Priest? This makes Ninja out (Rogue/Monk), Samurai out (fighter/monk) Sensei out (mage/monk). Even monk/priest is limited to just some basic spells with no mace usage.

Then again, I thought I read something about nixxing the dual class all-together.

Nice guide btw. Grats on all the work.
ZUPS!!!!
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

I thought a sensei was just a teacher.

But yeah having monks only allowed to use aspects is good otherwise people who dualclass monk could just be 100% fighter and use aspect of the turtle and have a huge MR/Def boost just to stack up, along with all those other aspects which would make dual-classing a monk too amazing.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

Grunkk wrote:I thought a sensei was just a teacher.

But yeah having monks only allowed to use aspects is good otherwise people who dualclass monk could just be 100% fighter and use aspect of the turtle and have a huge MR/Def boost just to stack up, along with all those other aspects which would make dual-classing a monk too amazing.
agree.. but adding maybe a 2h polearms to monk arsenal would be good imo...
-goblin elite
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Been ages since I played so I totally forgot about Turtle. Still, even if you don' use aspect you have some nice skills to use. I can only recall cleansing, sense, and that one to grab people from afar.
ZUPS!!!!
ritari
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by ritari »

I like 100% fighter / 100% monk character. As fighter you will hit hard with all your strenght and you can still use some very helpful monk skills, astral travel, teleport, sense, seize and mirror images. Also sleeping fist attack is nice you can make enemy asleep and you have plenty of time to grab your 2Handed and hit double damage..(im not sure does that actually work with swapping weapons). And from 100% monk you get unarmed skill to 100% what lets you have some fun with werewolf form. Also you get your mana up fast equipping mana leech monk weapons and you can increase your unarmed damage equipping some dex+ gear. I will probably cry my eyes out if dualclassing will be taken out of EUO.
1 + 1 = 2
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

good post, and I think dual classing is so ingrained into euo it's stuck there forever

besides I can satisfy my anti-dual class sentiments by working on eftv
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

eggmceye wrote:good post, and I think dual classing is so ingrained into euo it's stuck there forever

besides I can satisfy my anti-dual class sentiments by working on eftv
Hmm... how is that going anyway.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

Updated a bit, (keys, artys stats, and few more )
-goblin elite
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

ritari wrote:I like 100% fighter / 100% monk character. As fighter you will hit hard with all your strenght and you can still use some very helpful monk skills, astral travel, teleport, sense, seize and mirror images. Also sleeping fist attack is nice you can make enemy asleep and you have plenty of time to grab your 2Handed and hit double damage..(im not sure does that actually work with swapping weapons). And from 100% monk you get unarmed skill to 100% what lets you have some fun with werewolf form. Also you get your mana up fast equipping mana leech monk weapons and you can increase your unarmed damage equipping some dex+ gear. I will probably cry my eyes out if dualclassing will be taken out of EUO.
I agree. Those are very useful abilities.
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

UP!
added runes/rods options, tuned overall look, updated Gear... still alot to do: PD races options and Multiclassing. Stay tuned
-goblin elite
SiNeR
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by SiNeR »

Updated again!
- PD races options added
- tuned overal look (final edition :) )
-goblin elite