Valley of Pestilence devel.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Valley of Pestilence devel.

Post by Eclips »

Since this map is a collaboration, I wanted to have a place to organize it all together and to post progress to receive feedback along the way. This first post will contain various details about the map, the second post will contain the most up-to-date version of the map available. I'll also post progress along the way.

Valley of Pestilence

General Notes:
* The theme of this map is similar to that of a Castlevania game. An ancient vampire will be the root of the curse of pestilence on this land.
* The monsters in the map will be 90% undead, 7% hellspawn and 3% anything else that ties in.
* Planned for players lvl 40-100. I'm aiming for a more mid-lvl Blood Moor. Only with more alternative routes to take.
* Dungeon type map. Ominous sun blocking cloud msg when entering the map. (Main map will be outdoors, but will have the sunless properties of a dung)
* Disable Teleport.
* Turn undead immunity? (Would having that spell ruin this map?)

Quests/Special:

Code: Select all

(Ideas in order of what I would like first followed by what I think I can get approved)
1.  Repeatable kill X number of undead type monsters.  (Make it the amount of monsters that it would take to clear a good portion of the map to keep it from being cheesed.)
2.  Instance Map
2.  Basic Overlapping town type quests. (Similar to VoT quests[all can active at once]:  Kill X undead, Kill (Mini)Boss, Find Secret item)
3. Time Trial map(Instances) (First person in map becomes party leader.  Aiming for Scoreboard [Rank=points/minutes taken/avg lvl]  
Erie Fog:

*The map will be set up with certain triggers periodically along the way.
*Each trigger will cause local Erie Fog event + msg.
*Fog causes disease to all in area.
*Fog (if possible) causes players with protection to lose status effect.
*Fog triggers undead spawners.
*Fog kills light sources.

Ancient Vampire Boss: Malhavoc(Open to suggestions)

*  Gorge:Seizes player and uses consecutive vampyric bites until Vampire is at max hp or until % (20-50%) of players max hp is dealt
*  Blood Drain
*  Immune to turn undead
*  Immune to XMP/XC (except when cleaved/mr cleave)
*  Upon death summons several buffed bats with vampy strike.
*  Bats drop vampire ashes (named vampire dust).
-----Depose of ashes in named(Enchanted Urn?) rubbish bin.
-----Any vampire ashes that have not been discarded in rubbish bin after X secs after killing Ancient Vampire, respawn ancient vampire, bats and ashes turn into basic vamps.
-----XP dealt when all vampire ash is returned to the rubbish bin.
More info on the Boss and potential scripts is located here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4122&hilit=for+hire
Last edited by Eclips on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eclips

Re: Valley of Pestilence devel.

Post by Eclips »

Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Was finally able to work on the map any since school started and upload a map. I just realized a major flaw before I saved this. The top border is mountains, which is fine for the right half of the map, but looks odd on the left. I drew on the map, to try and help illustrate what I'm going for. I haven't really started working on aesthetics yet, and was actually hoping someone could help me with that.

1. Entrance of the map. Guards tell you about situation surrounding the town, and castle.
2. Graveyard for fallen guards. I want it to either A. Spawn undead from grave sites or B. spawn skeletons that are invis like the shadow imps in deja vu.
3. Intentionally left Open.
4. Route to main entrance of castle. This will be the most difficult path to the castle.
5. Just a random trail that ends in loot, not important to the rest of the map.
6. Front of the castle. The whole entrance will be barricaded and heavy with spawners.
7. A mostly abandoned town called Port ____ (I can't think of anything). The back story of the town was a mining town, the castle is there, but there is no sign of undead and the doors are magically sealed. The miners uncover a underground cavern that connected their mines to the castle and release the plague and the boss of the level, Malhavoc (his name for now). Only one miner escapes, and still lives in the town. No one believes him and think he's crazy, there is no evidence of what happened other than everyone else being missing. Slowly people start disappearing one by one. Malhavoc's castle is connected to the sewer system in the town (8 on the map). As he gains power, his army grows and eventually the village is destroyed. Malhavoc toys with the surviving miner and never kills him.
8. Entrance to the sewer system. It's meant to be a maze that connects to an ancient cave/waterway. It will be the lowest lvl entrance to the cave, and will provide a route to a mini boss, and into the castle.
9. This area will either be more of the town, or meta mapping area.
Red Area: Red denotes areas set aside for meta mapping. I'm going to use this area to make the ships at port explorable, and extend the trail at #5.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

What I have started of the sewer system. Might be easier/better looking if I reworked it so the paths were centered in the tunnels with the water on the outside.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1401/509 ... ca9369.jpg[/img]
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

This is probably what the sewer system will look like, possibly with a little tweaking. I might extend the map a little and use the new area to meta map a cave for another part of the level. It will be filled with a few low lvl chests, undead and a lot of sea creatures.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

lvl000(2) by donny546, on Flickr

Updated version of the main map.
*Added more detail to the mountain ranges.
*Added Shipping area to town.
* Was going to make the ships accessible, but there aren't enough ship tiles in game right now to create a full ship. Might scrap this.

What I plan on working on next:
* Making the town look like its more ruined.
* Meta map cave into sewer system map. This is unnecessary and I might skip it.
* Create a cave/castle map for the caste.

I'm seeking criticism or advice on the map. You can be harsh, I'm mostly doing this for fun. I also need someone to help me with scripting. Let me know if you're interested.
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

All of the multitudes of high peaks that you have could be used for more space for mobs/chests and shiz. Not really needed, I think it looks pretty decent as is, but the peaks are just taking up a bunch of space and you can't see past them anyway, so you only really need one row of them.

But good work so far, other than the sewer which is pretty barren and drab, but I'm pretty sure you said that was just a blueprint or w/e
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
RaynWisp
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by RaynWisp »

Double or triple stacking peaks is good. For me at least, I have xray vis...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

how's this project going? do you need help with it?
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

I had given up actually, didn't want to invest in something with no future. I like designing maps, I just can't code at all, so I'd need help with that. If you like the design I'll pick it back up. Just let me know. I had an idea or two more I could try to.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

build team to the rescue :2cool: :geek:
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Can the build team include some tech help? I can't get mapped to work on any graphics settings/resolutions. :? I'm also one of the people who can't run the client full screen either if that matters.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

with maped you can change the res

resx=1600
resy=900
change x,y res to something smaller than your native res

we'll help with the rest soon - one of my agents will be in contact shortly :rebel:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Have you gotten the script, finished or not, for the vampire boss from Hellslave? Otherwise I will see to it, if he still has a copy of it.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

I think hell had his own development topic that had any progress on the boss. I cab try looking if you don't see it.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Got the script from Hellslave. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Got mapped working, thanks. Couple more ?s tho.

Can i post stuff somehow that isn't going to reveal everything to everyone on the forums? I'd like to ask opinions and scripting questions without giving away all the secrets of the map.

I wanted to create stronger than normal undead mobs, butI have a limited understanding of the features/spawners. I remember being able to do more in the past, so i can probably pick some of it back up, but I'm afraid ill put a bunch of spawners/features down on the map and they will all need replaced. I'll focus on design for now, but how much do you want me to do past that?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Eclips wrote: I wanted to create stronger than normal undead mobs, butI have a limited understanding of the features/spawners. I remember being able to do more in the past, so i can probably pick some of it back up, but I'm afraid ill put a bunch of spawners/features down on the map and they will all need replaced. I'll focus on design for now, but how much do you want me to do past that?
Basically all you need to know about making mobs stronger is in Rusry's LUA Guide.
Easiest way to make mobs stronger is to attach a script via maped to the spawner, e.g. vpd_skeleton_init
In a txt/lua file you would write down:

function vpd_skeleton_init(m)

end
Between the func and end you can add all you need from Rusty's guide.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Is there a command to make monsters immune to turn undead?
Arkhan
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Arkhan »

Eclips, since I am getting back into EUO, maybe I can help, seeing as we know each other, ;). Assuming you're still messing with this project...

Where'd you get the name Malhavoc from!? That was one of Mackey's D&D character names I gave him, IIRC. Nice.
Who the hell is General Failure, and WHY is he reading my disk!?