big NG revision

Permanent Death and No Grind specific discussion goes here.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

big NG revision

Post by eggmceye »

I've just completed a really nice NG server revision - here they are all spelled out in big colourful print. In case you didn't know already, the NG server (No Grind) is meant to be the fun server where you don't grind your ass off getting levels, you grind yr ass off getting stat gains directly from playing - think UO from 10 years ago.

stat gains are much faster
I completely revised the formula so the stat gain curve is flatter - it still slows down at higher values, but you should be able to hit the 500 stat cap within a reasonable amount of time. Don't forget - stats are worth 2x on NG what they are worth on reg

cap changes - non class skills (eg crafting) are no longer counted toward the cap
The cap is now 400% for humans and 300% for everyone else - however, only the following skills count towards the cap

Code: Select all

longswords
polearms
maces
tactics
magery
locks
unarmed
ranged
stealth
traps
shortswords
foils
axes
block
sorcery
piety
blessed maces
staves
divinity
Priest spells that rely on level for strength have been rewritten for ng
now they gain in power based on your total stat count. 500 in stats (which is the cap) equates to a lvl 100 spell.

/myskills command is more helpful for NG players
it tells you what skill% you have that counts towards the cap, and what your cap is.

If you've never played NG read this
http://swut.net/euo/manual/index.php/Introduction_to_NG
The No Grind (NG) server features a level-less style of character development, where stats grow with skill usage. The name No Grind comes from the fact that there is no level-grinding. Skills & stat gains are quite high, but the caps are low, to encourage multiple characters and mixing of skill sets (see Class Ideas).

Features of the NG server include:

* no experience or player levels
* 300% cap on class skills for non humans, 400% for humans (non class skills are not counted towards the cap!)
* 500 cap on stats
* stats are worth 2x their face value (ie 150 STR is actually worth 300)
* skills go up at 5x reg
* no restrictions on mixing and matching skills (ie no class cap)
* fast skill gains
* permanent death is off

The address of the NG server is euo.swut.net:26668.
TheCrusher
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Re: big NG revision

Post by TheCrusher »

Awesome changes! I'll play
roseoflight
BBQ ABC <3

Post by roseoflight »

IOY still says that you need to be lvl 5 to use it just thought you should know.
In the end all that will be left will be TIME
Rufio
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Rufio »

eggmceye wrote:I've just completed a really nice NG server revision - here they are all spelled out in big colourful print. In case you didn't know already, the NG server (No Grind) is meant to be the fun server where you don't grind your ass off getting levels, you grind yr ass off getting stat gains directly from playing - think UO from 10 years ago.

stat gains are much faster
I completely revised the formula so the stat gain curve is flatter - it still slows down at higher values, but you should be able to hit the 500 stat cap within a reasonable amount of time. Don't forget - stats are worth 2x on NG what they are worth on reg

cap changes - non class skills (eg crafting) are no longer counted toward the cap
The cap is now 400% for humans and 300% for everyone else - however, only the following skills count towards the cap

Code: Select all

longswords
polearms
maces
tactics
magery
locks
unarmed
ranged
stealth
traps
shortswords
foils
axes
block
sorcery
piety
blessed maces
staves
divinity
Priest spells that rely on level for strength have been rewritten for ng
now they gain in power based on your total stat count. 500 in stats (which is the cap) equates to a lvl 100 spell.

/myskills command is more helpful for NG players
it tells you what skill% you have that counts towards the cap, and what your cap is.

If you've never played NG read this
http://swut.net/euo/manual/index.php/Introduction_to_NG
The No Grind (NG) server features a level-less style of character development, where stats grow with skill usage. The name No Grind comes from the fact that there is no level-grinding. Skills & stat gains are quite high, but the caps are low, to encourage multiple characters and mixing of skill sets (see Class Ideas).

Features of the NG server include:

* no experience or player levels
* 300% cap on class skills for non humans, 400% for humans (non class skills are not counted towards the cap!)
* 500 cap on stats
* stats are worth 2x their face value (ie 150 STR is actually worth 300)
* skills go up at 5x reg
* no restrictions on mixing and matching skills (ie no class cap)
* fast skill gains
* permanent death is off

The address of the NG server is euo.swut.net:26668.
You are my favorite person ever for this revision my friend. :D
Rufio - Level 314 - Bloodkin - Mage
http://euotopia.com/plyr.php?p=Rufio&serv=reg
Khelben
on lolpatrol

Post by Khelben »

Traps should be removed from chests that drop from bosses. Also, sometimes said chests are locked and cannot be opened by casting Ex Por stating that it is "too difficult".

Locks and traps should be excluded from the skill cap in my opinion; no one is going to waste percentages in those skill seeing as there are skull keys, Ex Por, bashing, scroll/spell of protection.

Mages need a huge nerf but more on that later.
Cult
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Cult »

Khelben wrote:Traps should be removed from chests that drop from bosses.
Wish i was a democrat from Chicago so i could vote twice for this idea!!!
Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Here's the problem with ng (and with any server with caps) - it's boring as soon as you hit the stat cap - which means (yet again) that all mmorpgs amount to is grinding! Once the map exploration & nostalgia kick wear of, there's nothing much left but stats.

My char frederick on ng - has hit the stat cap - but needs more MR to fight more exotic monsters. SO I need more MR gear. Because there are no merchs (because not enough people play), I can't buy any mr gear, so I have to hunt for it. Best mobs I can hunt are blue/white drags and demons. Boss rate is still 1/40 so I probably have to kill a 1000 before I can get a MR drop.

Here lies the inherent problem with morpgs.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

things to do in uo after you hit the cap

- work on your house
- gank newbies
Rufio

Post by Rufio »

This is totally random but on for the love of god, would you be so kind to put combined account banks? We cant have houses or anything on ng so could you do that for us if its not too much to ask? :? That could be the next big update for ng. :cool:
ThePred

Post by ThePred »

have you thought about what you can do to raise the stat cap? not permanatly, but maybe as a reward or something of that nature (if that makes sense) cause right now, I find ng to be the best server out there, cause you have to earn your items. but maybe there could be ways of raising our stats? idk, your the smart one here. x.x
Odell
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Odell »

I have been reading and thinking about NG for a while. I came up with this Idea, how well it works, I don't know.

Quests.. ..you complete a quest, and your "stat cap" goes higher? The more quests you complete, instead of getting experience, your stat cap can raise just a little more untill you have completed all quests. This would let you gain more stats while getting stronger and if you don't know where all the quests are, like me, it would just about force you to have to go look for them. It would make you "explore". Your stat cap does not have to go up 100 points, but maybe something in the neighborhood of 20-30 each for Nord, 25-35 for Izumi, ect. Hidden quests like, Sceptre, and Percy, and the pocketwatch, those can vary as to howmuch you get. I know on Reg, for the Sceptre Quest, you can get 20k xp so you can get maybe 200 stat points?

When you make a new character, you can start off with 150. (you already have 75 taken up for 25 strength, dexterity, and intelligence).

So therefore, the more quests you complete, the more stats you get and the more you get to explore and play the game.

What do you think about that?
*Make a difference about something other than yourselves.

*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Cult

Post by Cult »

eggmceye wrote:things to do in uo after you hit the cap

- work on your house
- gank newbies

Housing on NG?? starting when?

Also the last post about quests. I hate doing quests, dont grind me with them. Rather see killing missions given out by say a town mayor. most towns should have one. well he requires you to slay this mob or that for the town. each mission accomplished raises your standing with the city. each level could increase a stat or be given a random magic scaled to the mob requirement.

It would be nice if the price a npc would pay for an item is the same price your merch charges. Make people take the time to jack up prices. Dont do it for them. This would make it cheaper to be a newb. Face it people are lazy. Stocking your merch would be so much quicker..
Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Odell
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Odell »

Cult wrote:
eggmceye wrote:things to do in uo after you hit the cap

- work on your house
- gank newbies

Housing on NG?? starting when?

Also the last post about quests. I hate doing quests, dont grind me with them. Rather see killing missions given out by say a town mayor. most towns should have one. well he requires you to slay this mob or that for the town. each mission accomplished raises your standing with the city. each level could increase a stat or be given a random magic scaled to the mob requirement.

It would be nice if the price a npc would pay for an item is the same price your merch charges. Make people take the time to jack up prices. Dont do it for them. This would make it cheaper to be a newb. Face it people are lazy. Stocking your merch would be so much quicker..

There will be no houses. He's already stated that a million houses. No house on NG/PD EVER. However, the quests Idea was just an idea. Egg wants people to do more crafting and explore rather than just mass grinding. So, a lot of people don't know where ALL the quests are, it would just about force them to look for them so that they could get stronger. I don't think it'll happen, it was just a suggestion.
*Make a difference about something other than yourselves.

*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Rufio

Post by Rufio »

It would be cool if quests added to your class cap as in on my half troll fighter i can only have 300% fighter skills, I would love to be able to get 400% or 500% so i would get like axes or something of that nature. For example, you get "x" amount of skill % for "x" amount of experience you would normally get for it. Although i am for that, i am completely against being able to get more stats, both my main guys are super powerful and any more i would be ridiculous. But if we could work out a formula for the experience to class skill ratio i think that would be an even reward for completing the quests. What do you guys think?
teb
How do I attack?

Post by teb »

Rufio wrote:It would be cool if quests added to your class cap as in on my half troll fighter i can only have 300% fighter skills, I would love to be able to get 400% or 500% so i would get like axes or something of that nature. For example, you get "x" amount of skill % for "x" amount of experience you would normally get for it. Although i am for that, i am completely against being able to get more stats, both my main guys are super powerful and any more i would be ridiculous. But if we could work out a formula for the experience to class skill ratio i think that would be an even reward for completing the quests. What do you guys think?
I personally think that would be an awesome thing to happen. I was just thinking of some way quests could become useful on NG, and being able to either increase skills cap or stats cap would be awesome.

It would solve the cap problem and the quest problem in one blow.
Rufio

Post by Rufio »

Westinghouse wrote:
Odell wrote:I have been reading and thinking about NG for a while. I came up with this Idea, how well it works, I don't know.

Quests.. ..you complete a quest, and your "stat cap" goes higher? The more quests you complete, instead of getting experience, your stat cap can raise just a little more untill you have completed all quests. This would let you gain more stats while getting stronger and if you don't know where all the quests are, like me, it would just about force you to have to go look for them. It would make you "explore". Your stat cap does not have to go up 100 points, but maybe something in the neighborhood of 20-30 each for Nord, 25-35 for Izumi, ect. Hidden quests like, Sceptre, and Percy, and the pocketwatch, those can vary as to howmuch you get. I know on Reg, for the Sceptre Quest, you can get 20k xp so you can get maybe 200 stat points?

When you make a new character, you can start off with 150. (you already have 75 taken up for 25 strength, dexterity, and intelligence).

So therefore, the more quests you complete, the more stats you get and the more you get to explore and play the game.
not enough?
I would say no stat points. I have been playing ng for a while now and i think it would make everyone way too powerful. If we were to get anything it should be skill points (longswords, short swords, axes, ect.).
Rufio

Post by Rufio »

Westinghouse wrote:Well on PD, you'd easily have 500+ stat points. I think you can afford to go up a few more. I'm not suggesting like, 100000 stat points or anything, but it was just a suggestion. I like his idea, if not anything else.
But also keep in mind that the stats are twice as much as the face value. For example, my fighter only has 275+104 strength and has 754 hp base, there is no need for more stat points. People would get way too powerful if they did how i see it, whats your take on things? :?
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

I like idea of more class skill. about 500% for everyone but Humans, and humans get 600% or 700%?
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Just wait for new classes. Then you'd see.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

Westinghouse wrote:
Zzapp wrote:I like idea of more class skill. about 500% for everyone but Humans, and humans get 600% or 700%?

Where in the living hell would you get 600-700%? Preist, Fighter, Mage, and Rogue, 100% each. That's 400. 400 is max. You can't get any higher. (unless it's split differently than I think it is.)
Fuck i didnt think about classes only being 400 hehe. i wasnt paying attention still humans 500 other race 400.