need help with a boring job

Moderator: EUO Moderators

do you prefer npc's that speak with modern english or olde english?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:03 pm

modern english
61%
olde english
39%

Total votes: 23

eggmceye
hello

need help with a boring job

Post by eggmceye »

Firstly, do you prefer modern english conversations with npcs or dost thou prefer olde english? Does ye old english tickle thy fancy or does it just piss thee off?

Conversations in EUO are a bad mix of both. I'd like to make it all consistant. Who wants the job?

Requires:
- editing about 30 spreadsheets, reading every line of conversation and making it either new or old english
- prefer someone who has done everything because it will probably contain a lot of spoilers
- if you are really keen you can get the quest editor and edit all those lines of talk too
- firepox, emo, retards don't even post - get out of this forum if thou art even in here

you -> thee (object) "I will give it to thee"
you -> thou (subject) "Thou art an ass"
your - thy
are -> art
have -> hast
?->thine?

because of the you/you, I can't make the bot / server to it automatically. Hence I need human help. We can work out appropriate compensation - respec, av, moving xp, guild hall, etc.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Re: need help with a boring job

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I've got some free time after my exam next week.

I haven't done all the quests, but probably the vast majority of them (or know how they're done already).

Can handle Excel. (Engineer's best buddy) :D

I'm probably for having correct English instead of "faux" Olde English just because we have a lot of English as 2nd language players. Why make it harder for them?

Renumeration is not an issue. I'd do it for free.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that's a very good point about the second language thing, and it would be easier to convert all text to proper english than olde english because the majority ( I think ) is already in modern.
Grue
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Grue »

While I would love to see it all in Olde English, I have to agree with his opinion above about our second language folks. Modern will be a little easier on them.
Additionally, if you need some help LC, let me know. I may not be an engineer, but I work with excel all day long, and twice on Sunday, so I should be able to help.
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overrides the fear of death. - Speed Freak Motto "
"The Long Run - Daniel Keys Moran"
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Olde english. English is my second language, but I don't have problems with all those "thee" and "thou" stuff. It might be a bit confusing at first time, but I think that sense of "thou art an ass" phrase is pretty obvious for everyone, no matter which language is their primary language.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

I say modern english. Most of EUO convos are already in modern english anyway and it would be easier for non english speaking people to translate modern english than olde english.
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

Olde English. It adds to the game climate, even if so slightly - I don't see pirates at Buc's Den speaking modern English.
Substituting 'you' by 'thou' doesn't really make sentence any harder to understand.
Foul beast approaches?!
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

I would prefer modern over olde english.

Although, maybe certain "upperclass" npcs COULD speak in olde English as long as it is consistent (i.e. Guards, Wizards, etc).
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Dudle
on lolpatrol

Post by Dudle »

I also think Olde English would be hard for some native english speakers to decipher let alone english as a second language people.
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

Modern english, I have no love or interest for "olde" english.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

modern english it is - all updates are made - big thanx to LC for actually doing it

post any olde english you find in bugs. There is one left intentionally ... jaana