priest thread (split from ivpy)

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Re: priest thread (split from ivpy)

Post by eggmceye »

That's a good idea about divination. I was going to add a whole bunch of spells, like uncurse, bless, id, all sorts of crap - it could go in the new school. Also, if I add necromancy, it could be a priest school but mutex with piety, but ok to be used with divination.

However I don't think mages need a healing spell, since they are the dps masters of everything.
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

If maces are going to be priest class skill, what if there were some spells based on rage?
Foul beast approaches?!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

what sorta priest is going to get mad and cast rage spells, they are meant to be pious :2cool:
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

Holy wrath!Convert them foul monsters with sword and holy fire! What other sort of preachers would go amongst them instead of staying in the chapel praying?;)
Foul beast approaches?!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

^^^^ that's a good reply actually

priest update: just got past a huge hurdle - the maces / fighters thing.
Problem: maces are a fighter skill, and a skill can be one class only or all classes. I came up with 3 answers, none are great but one works well:

#1 make maces somehow a fighter skill & priest skill - would be a nightmare to code up, so abandoned it - it just doesn't work with the sliding classes euo has (but would work with classic fixed classes)

#2 fighters and priests become subclasses of something more abstract - i thought this was the way to do it until I realise that since I don't have subclasses of subclasses, this wrecked any future plans for rangers or paladins or any other fighter subclasses

#3 go with a priest weapon skill. I really didn't want to go this path, but with some pen on paper and lateral thinking I have the answer.
There is a new skill, I don't care what it is called, cleric weapons, priest weapons, blessed weapons, whatever. It is a priest class skill, so maces stays as a fighter class skill. Now, to get points in priest weapons however, and to signify to the engine that you are a priest and you want to bump yr priest wep skill, not regualr maces, well you have to bless your mace first! Then, as you fight with a blessed mace, your priest skill goes up. Blessed is a flag I put in last patch, it is opposite to curse. I knew I would need it for priests, and here it is. A blessed mace bumps your priest mace skill. Bless will be a lvl 1 piety or divinity or whatever spell.

Now the final problem is this: what if you are a fighter with all these points in maces and you want to convert to a priest? As if you want to grind up priest weps, when conceptually a priest's mace is the same as a fighters mace, other than the blessing, but the fighting technique (ie clubbing shit to death) is the same right? Well I have added engine support to automatically transfer your mace points into priest points as you fight with a bless mace, and vice versa.

The next big question is whether to call the class priests or clerics :knife:
Grodst
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Grodst »

Cleric for healing class? Leaves Priest for the Necromancer/Dark side?
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

Priest just sounds better for me than cleric. In my opinion the matter of dark/light side should be dependent on moral choice, and not a class distinction. Something like being priest of different virtues and antivirtues... - just a loose thought.

With blessed maces raising priest skill, fighters wouldn't be able to use bless on their weapon to train maces - that might be a disadvantage.
Maybe distinction between skills could be made by some kind of "holy symbol" item in inventory(ankh, cross,...), though rather not something wearable. Ie. if you have holy symbol with you, priest skill gets raised.

How exactly the bless is going to work? If it was neccesary to raise priest skills, it should be low level ability. If it was a semi-permanent flag(like cursed), and that of low cost, everything would be blessed pretty soon and thus everyone would get a boon. Maybe it should wear off with time, though priests would have some hassle having to bless it constantly, even if it was easy. Maybe 'blessed' status would make item temporarily soulbound(which might make sense, if power of virtue was granted upon a person)?
Last edited by Aristarch on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foul beast approaches?!
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

I will have to hold judgement on Priests/Clerics/Necromancy, as I really don't see the need for it, but will reserve judgement til I try creating one and look forward to doing that, I do like to give all classes a try. It would encourage more diverse party formations, but then I don't party too often. So far mages have been the most fun to play, though.

Mages with no healing, then I would have put more levels in str, my pot carrying capacity isn't great so I really never used them in great detail. You would have to go invis pretty often so you could meditate or run to safety. I probably still won't rely on pots, too much weight to carry, cause I am a pack rat and can't leave anything behind, X-D

But if the xmp works like stated, then it might work out better, with a littlle constant heal, and start using the regen rings. Either way changes can be exiting to see how you adapt to the changes, and there has been many changes over the years, people bitch and gripe but deal with it and play anyway. Can't please everyone.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

priests in most games are 100% healers nothing else
clerics are fighter priests that love hitting crap :knife: (so this is the logical choice)

and you can always change it later right? just one word
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

This is gonna rule. I like it :dance:
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Well now that you mention it, eclips does have more of a priest build. Ill just take ellips the mage route and eclips as a priest.

Any chance of UA priests?
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

This might have already been stated and I just missed it, but will mace damage be derived from strength? I'm wondering how complex the priest build is going to be, and how easy it is for a mage or a macefighter to convert to a priest with their current build.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

MY OPINIONS:

Since you've been reading up on D&D books (esp Tome of Magic) which spells interest you the most?

Mages & Healing spells - NO (I've played enough hard core early ultima to know that just won't work with priests in).

Blessed weapons/items (white text to represent holy item or blessed is my suggestion) strike that... while is used to hilight item selected... purple is special items... maybe a cyan color

Clerics for healing - yes

Mages xmp vs undead - NO is my opinion. (undead typically don't have anything to vampyre out ie. blood. Any thing you did leach out would be tainted and probably poison, disease or curse you).

Clerical magic for the war against undeadism - yes.

Clerical weapons - eek... Another option is to make new weapons which is a pain in the arse. Base them off objects use in clergy life: holy water (missile weapons with very short range), crucifex or holy symbols, censor, and maybe I should just look some items that are mace & flail-like that aren't being used for fighters that could fit into the cleric weapon use.

Clerical magic could augment other members fighting abilities (ie. XS = xen sanct, xvs = xen vas sacnt, spell like call upon holy might: str/dex- gotta think of a name), bless, curse, etc... prayer.

Take a walk back through the ultima and the language and see what spells there are in the various games and what might be a nice spell to add like create food (bread), create water (must have bottle) bottle of water, etc.

Classic ultima:(I prefer the former to the latter)
Fighter - Fighter
Thief - Rogue (sounds more jack of all trades)
Wizard - Mage (sounds more utilitarian)
Cleric - Priest (priest sounds sissy while cleric is a bad ass... and I like the name Cedric the Cleric).
ZUPS!!!!
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Fighter
Rogue
Wizard - Sorcery/Magery
Cleric - Piety/new divination spells

That catches my eye. I like that. Cleric does sound a lot cooler than priest.
Also. Would this class revision be a good time to explore making UA classless? X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

UA classless? doesn't sound terrible actually ...

here a tidbit: UA does great DPS
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Skill title idea. "Crusader" for use of blessed maces. It would raise your crusading skill of course :o
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

The Oracle wrote:Skill title idea. "Crusader" for use of blessed maces. It would raise your crusading skill of course :o
Let's avoid taking sides on religious conflicts... otherwise why not call it "Jihad" or "Inquisition"?
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

MR reduction spell for priests could be great :)
Foul beast approaches?!
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

after priest is there any chances of ether giving the ability to SET traps to rouges or make a 5th class RANGERS that can set them?
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

We should really concentrate on priests/clerics atm. I don't see why clerics should have any benefit of more MR than any other class. If the yellow bar is used as a type of mana then will vig restore it or will there be a different type of restorative element?

Will blues restore cleric mana?
Will there be a wisdom statistic?
What shrine will raise wisdom?(though spirituality seems like a no brainer for that).
ZUPS!!!!